• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flags, features pirates and co-op

Sanic

Okay, but what complex, risky, offensive name, feature set, etc were you hoping for?

I wasn't hoping for anything. I had no expectations of the game at all. Simply my cynical side coming out and commenting on the iterative, boring nature of these kinds of releases. Now, I could sit here and spew out specifics about where I want the series to go, but that would be too personal.

Within the existing Assassin's Creed framework, do you want coop? Why? Mechanically, what elevates the experience, outside of the social aspect?

Why not introduce more dynamic elements into the experience instead? Branching Assassination choices, for example.

jcm

So, are we getting back a main character with charisma now?
We just had one.

iNeoPNv.jpg

What are you talking about? I'm a child of the 90's!

<_<

I had no idea the youngins still know Black Flag.

GAMERG0D

I think it's true, Ubi would build upon the naval missions from III. We might hear more at Sony's event on the 20th.

I had no idea the youngins still know Black Flag.

I hope they do, but they probably don't. Years ago I was talking to some gal and we got to talking about music. I mentioned loving Black Flag, Minor Threat, etc etc. all the goodies. She stared at me like I just started speaking gibberish. I'm a little young to be into it myself (30) but I'll be damned if the love of Black Flag isn't strong within' me. ;D

Play as Haytham?

According to some of the extended lore, Haytham's father was an Assassin. That's why he had all of the skills and tools common to assassins and completely foreign to Templars.

I'm assuming that's who the rumor is referencing. Haytham being the previous playable character whose father you'd play as.

Midou

The best thing to come out of AC3 was certainly the ship stuff, I always said I'd buy a game built around that, it would be a day one.

Pitmonkey

Lets hope we see a jump in quality from 3 to 4 like we saw from 1 to 2. Would be a pretty epic experience I feel.

bumpkin

I'm having a hard time bringing myself to get through 3... Yeah, pretty sure the series has run its course with me. I probably won't be buying anymore of 'em.

injurai

Banned
i'd believe it with the naval warfare from 3 and all.

Though Ubi would be better off creating a new franchise from an overhauled engine. I think they would have a lot more interesting places to take it than get stuck under all that writing overhead from the AC series.

I'm done with this series. It's getting stale and I feel like its been milked to hell and back. I feel the same way about Call of Duty.

Bladenic

An AC game with pirates surely means more naval battles with even more of a focus I hope. As the naval battles were by far the best part of AC3, I would be very excited if this were true.

Sounds good to me. Though I wish it was more about assassinations like the first one was....you know since your an assassin and all.

RedSwirl

Well shit. I thought we were getting tired with the annualization of the franchise, but I gotta admit that I'd definitely want to play an open-world sailing Assassin's Creed in the Caribbean.

That's actually kind of the genius of the franchise. The core concept of the setting is that it can take place in any historical setting Ubisoft wants, which means there's almost no limit to how many games they can make before things get stale. The only reason I ignored Revelations was because I was done with Ezio. I imagine it would take place around 1713?

Pitmonkey

What does everyone think the over-under on at least one NPD having a hook for a hand, and assassinating someone with it?

Pitmonkey

People always say this when discussing possible future locations for AC. If that many open world, action adventure games set in japan/asia exist, feel free to share them with the rest of us.

GAF answer - Shenmue

Recent answer - Sleeping Dogs.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've been wanting to get into this series for a while but hated 1 and Revelations was a bad place to jump in. With the trilogy (+2) being done this may be a decent start. I like pirates.

Are the Yakuza games open world?

It's an open area

Always the same episode after episode. With added area and details and activities.

Second game had Osaka. Third game had Okinawa. 5th will have 5 cities (so this one plus 4 others ones)

Thing of the undergroud, roofs, and " dunjeons " and other interios you can't see here

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
An Assassin's Creed game built around the Naval stuff from AC3 instead of just shoving it off to the side besides like 2 missions would be fantastic, it was really the most solid part of the game. Though I want more assassin things in the game, AC2 was a nice mix of old and new, AC3 really didn't touch on any of it at all.

M*A*S*H

GAF answer - Shenmue

Recent answer - Sleeping Dogs.

Are the Yakuza games open world?

So that's a discontinued forklift simulator, a gta/yakuza mashup and a tiger brawler.
All of which are excellent, none of which are comparable. All three are modern day (no, kenzan does not count) and none of them share AC's movement/melee gameplay focus.

Seems like a kneejerk reaction to a problem that doesn't exist.

Top Bottom