• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) Could a new Sonic game be underway and releasing this year?

Arkeband

Banned
I fully expect the new game to be Sonic Boom 2, starring new anthropomorphic kid-friendly duck named Scones who wields a spatula and cooks spicy foods for Sonic to make him go even faster.

They know that every gamer would love nothing more than a serious, not-shovelware Sonic 4 modeled after the Genesis and 2D levels of Generations, but why the fuck would they ever make that?

Arkeband

Banned
Not everyone actually wants that?

They want more of the failed experiment entries, so the Sonic Cycle can continue?

I mean you can glaze over the main Wikipedia page for the series and it's quite obvious that the further they stray from the original formula, sales typically go down and critical reception drops. All of the 2D entries are solid, the 3D entries have only gotten worse and worse.

More than a quarter of all Sonic games sold are Sonic the Hedgehog 1 from 1991, combining the original and ports. That's huge.

I fully expect the new game to be Sonic Boom 2, starring new anthropomorphic kid-friendly duck named Scones who wields a spatula and cooks spicy foods for Sonic to make him go even faster.

They know that every gamer would love nothing more than a serious, not-shovelware Sonic 4 modeled after the Genesis and 2D levels of Generations, but why the fuck would they ever make that?

I don't want that shit.

I'll take Sonic 4 Ep.III & Knuckles

Mabufu

Banned
How about no? Sega's more than welcome to do whatever kind of wacky experiments they want, but they need something proven to fall back on in case it blows up in their face, as it has with Boom and arguably Lost World. As it stands, Sonic is one bad game away from being in a similar or possibly even worse situation than it was in back in 2006.
That's a pretty valid consumer point of view, but your mind would do a 180º spin if you were a game designer.

How in the world 3 games of boosting and clunky 2D sections with 3D physics are not enough?

You are just being selfish if you force devs to stuck into something just becaus you like it. I prefer to encourage them to find a new formula that works instead of being cowards.

I dont care if they dont succeed at the first tries. When they finally get it, it will be worth the effort.

Anything, and anyone, should be stuck for fearing the failure. Failure is needed to improve and advance.

I'm sorry, but we will never get better Sonic games they way you think.

MrBadger

That's a pretty valid consumer point of view, but your mind would do a 180º spin if you were a game designer.

How in the world 3 games of boosting and clunky 2D sections with 3D physics are not enough?

You are just being selfish if you force devs to stuck into something just becaus you like it. I prefer to encourage them to find a new formula that works instead of being cowards.

I dont care if they dont succeed at the first tries. When they finally get it, it will be worth the effort.

Anything, and anyone, should be stuck for fearing the failure. Failure is needed to improve and advance.

I'm sorry, but we will never get better Sonic games they way you think.

It's not selfish at all to want a franchise that's struggled to find its identity in 3D ever since the game debuted to stick with what works and is popular with fans.

That's not to say I disagree with your points though. I've always thought the boost system is headed towards a dead end. It's really fun, but the speed you move at and the range of your homing attacks really seems to limit how long levels can be and how much you can do with enemies and obstacles, resulting in all the 2D padding. Lost World was a good idea with bad execution.

Sonic games are cursed. I am sure a new game is being made, but I doubt it will be good.

Sonic threads are cursed too. I still think the franchise has plenty of potential and Sonic Team are capable of making good games.

TimmiT

rq7Sbzd.jpg

http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/19252-rumor-sonic-mach2/page-11#entry936795

Sonic Boom 2 confirmed.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Not for Sonic Team, since they've specifically released games to celebrate the last two.

The last three, really.

10th anniversary, 2001: Sonic Adventure 2
15th anniversary, 2006: Sonic Now Loading
20th anniversary, 2011: Sonic Generations

I can see Sega releasing Sonic Team's next big game this year, though, because Sega might need the money. Next year for the 25th anniversary, maybe they'll release a pack full of ROMS of every Sonic game ever made up through Sonic 2006. Like a new age Sonic Jam.

Toad.T

Banned
Yeah, perhaps it was a tinge premature to post the thread, but Sonic seems to have passionate views in terms of both love and hate for the franchise, so I thought it would get some good discussion.

Jay RaR

True that, some people don't actually like good Sonic games. /snide

Anyway, unless it's Generations 2 or a 2D game I frankly doubt I'll care. Sonic in 3D has been mostly terrible.

You mean like Sonic 4? ;)

For me, I'd also prefer a Generations 2 or another 3D game. 2D games dont really appeal to me as much.

But if what Izuka said was true, my hype for the next Sonic game deflated a bit.

Sega and the Sonic Team have lost their way. They found a great formula in Generations and just completely forgot about it. Lost world and Boom were just so bad lol

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
You mean like Sonic 4? ;)

For me, I'd also prefer a Generations 2 or another 3D game. 2D games dont really appeal to me as much.

But if what Izuka said was true, my hype for the next Sonic game deflated a bit.

I actually sort of liked Sonic 4: Episode II despite all its flaws (Episode I was kind of trash though), so if they made a Sonic 5 and fixed the problems with 4 I'd be more than happy.

Generations 2 would be the best option since it would give fans of both 2D and 3D Sonic what they want, so obviously Sega's gonna make everything but Generations 2 :p

Zalman

If we don't get a Sonic Team game this year, it'll be the first time in a while they spend three years working on a single title. Unless you want to count that mobile thing they're doing.

MarkusRJR

Sonic Mach 2 sounds like one of two things:

-Dimps made boost based 2D or 3D platformer
-SUMO Digital racing game, maybe this time without cars (why else would they not keep it in the current SEGA racing series)? <--- Probably the most likely since it's been a few years since SAASRT

Or it could just be another mediocre free to play mobile game, haha.

No, Boom was made by another developer and is classed as a spin off gam. While lost worlds was made by the storybook team (colours) and had potential but fell a bit short in the end, and is considered to be average at best.

So no, we haven't had a bad Main Sonic Team game since Sonic 06.

Sonic Team hasn't made a bad Sonic game since '06. Unleashed was half great & half gimmicky, Colors was great, Generations was awesome, & Lost World was decent. They didn't make Sonic Boom, that was Big Red Button.

Interesting, I had no idea. I always thought this series was basically dead to it's fans like megaman for some reason.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
there are probably nazi war criminals knocking one together in a shed in argentina as we talk.

Definitely not for Nintendo after the Sonic Boom debacle and the lukewarm reception of Sonic Lost World.

Sonic sells best on Nintendo. Boom or Lost World on PS4/One would have been an even bigger debacle.

But Sega should put Sonic to rest for a while. After two bad games in a row the blue runner and its developers should spend some more time for the next game. Otherwise even the last Sonic fan will drop the franchise.

I dont think it's Sonic All Stars Racing 3, guys. Think about it, why would Orbot be a character in it? And previous games in the SASR series reused voice clips from their respective games, so I doubt they got the voice actors to record lines specifically for it.

There is the unfortunate possibility that it may be Sonic Boom 2, lets just hope it isn't though.
Please be anything but Boom 2

Top Bottom