• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) Could a new Sonic game be underway and releasing this year?

Forkball

After Lost World 3DS, I'd rather not. More so since they'd likely dump the project on Dimps.

Here you go:
Pfft. Those are just cheap rushed cash-ins to tie in with the console release. I want a totally new game specifically designed for the 3DS.
Something like "New Sonic the Hedgehog" available exclusively on New Nintendo 3DS would be pretty funny. Would sell more systems, because some Sonic fans are just that die hard.
Sonic Generations was already kind of "New" Sonic the Hedgehog, but I agree with your idea. I think a traditional Sonic game that still has a lot of new ideas and features like NSMB would be a good way to take the series.

MrBadger

Pfft. Those are just cheap rushed cash-ins to tie in with the console release. I want a totally new game specifically designed for the 3DS.

Sonic Generations was already kind of "New" Sonic the Hedgehog, but I agree with your idea. I think a traditional Sonic game that still has a lot of new ideas and features like NSMB would be a good way to take the series.

I think what you're asking for is the first Sonic Advance. I really wish those kinds of games still happened.

it's actually really weird how Sega treat the classics. Colours, Lost World and obviously 4 and Generations are filled with classic enemies, old stage gimmicks and checkerboard tile stages but they're so reluctant to actually make a game that plays like the old ones and use the superior classic design for said games (except generations where they treat him like a novelty). It's like they want to borrow from Sonic's past but they also don't.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't multi. I don't think it's fair to blame Boom's sales on the Wii U really.

I think the only way Boom was selling was if it was a PS4/Xbone launch title or something. Games like that have a knack for that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'll take a sequel to any of the following three:

Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations
Sonic/Sega All-Stars Racing

JediLink

People, really, we already had Unleashed, Colors, and Generations using the same formula. It's time to move on.
"Moving on" for no reason is the worst thing. It'd help Sonic a lot more if it just found an identity and could stick with it.

The fact that the next main Sonic game has yet to reveal itself either means...
a) Sonic Team are actually taking their time making a game that doesn't have the wheels fall off towards the back end
b) They're changing the gameplay formula once again instead of iterating on the ones that could actually work

"Moving on" for no reason is the worst thing. It'd help Sonic a lot more if it just found an identity and could stick with it.

Lost World proved this.

They've found the perfect aesthetic and tone, they just need to iterate, iterate, ITERATE on the Generations 3D formula.

Simbabbad

Definitely not for Nintendo after the Sonic Boom debacle and the lukewarm reception of Sonic Lost World.
If anything, being on a Nintendo console softened the damage A LOT for those games. They sold way too much for what they are.

People, really, we already had Unleashed, Colors, and Generations using the same formula. It's time to move on.
Unleashed and Colours are completely different games with a completely different feel. I hate Unleashed and love Colours, and I know people who feel the opposite, they're not the same formula at all.

ChaosXVI

I seriously hope this title is basically Unleashed Day/Generations style gameplay with entirely new locales. Like imagine levels with similarly new themes like Sonic Colors but in HD...I'll seriously never understand why Sonic Colors didn't eventually get some kind of HD re-release because those levels were begging for it.

hodgy100

I seriously hope this title is basically Unleashed Day/Generations style gameplay with entirely new locales. Like imagine levels with similarly new themes like Sonic Colors but in HD...I'll seriously never understand why Sonic Colors didn't eventually get some kind of HD re-release because those levels were begging for it.

fortunately thanks to dolphin you can atleast play it at 1080p 60fps with a high res texture mod :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F9xaO4jIzY

Sami+

Can we please just fucking wait until we have more than a name to go off of? I seriously don't understand why people are going nuts when we don't know a single thing about the game.

SONIC GAME BEING MADE ABOUT GOING FAST STOP THE PRESSES

Aren't new Sonic games always being made and always bad?

God.... another one?
After all these terrible ones lately?
Ugh.....

Sega, please no.

523px-7-20-10_Sonic_vs_Egg_Beater.jpg

Can't wait to play Sonic 2006 HD Edition

'Sonic: It Couldn't Get Any Worse... Could It?' for PS4/X1. Pre-order now for the exclusive fan-fiction episode featuring Shadow and Tails!
Are Sonic threads like the only threads where people can sprout uninformed nonsense without consequence?
So I can fall asleep on the controller? Sonic Naps Sleepin at the Speed of Sound
Exactly
Unleashed and Colours are completely different games with a completely different feel. I hate Unleashed and love Colours, and I know people who feel the opposite, they're not the same formula at all.
Hell yeah I love Unleashed but I can't stand Colors.
i will eat ass for this
smirk.gif~c200

Mabufu

Banned
For no reason? I think 3 consecutive games with the same gameplay formula is a good reason to change it. Stuck forever in this one just because it works, it doesnt mean another formula cant work.

What are you gonna do, stay safe until Sonic Generations 12 is done?

I dont think you believe this at all. It's the exact same formula, but each game have it's own extra gimmick. Unleashed had werehog (thing that I dont dislike), Colors had whisps, and Generations classic Sonic.

Modern Sonic gameplay have been the same in this three games, even if it have improved.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm sure they will shit out another low quality effort in time for the holidays.

I dont think you believe this at all. It's the exact same formula, but each game have it's own extra gimmick. Unleashed had werehog (thing that I dont dislike), Colors had whisps, and Generations classic Sonic.

Modern Sonic gameplay have been the same in this three games, even if it have improved.

I would agree with you but after playing Colors, it's extremely different in feel and control. Me personally I hate it, because it's very 2D centric with lack of good drifting controls compared to Unleashed and Generations, and platform heavy, more than anything and depends on wisps. Doesn't exactly reward you for fast paces either. It's like the only one I'd say needs a spin dash more than a boost. It's more similar to Lost World than the other two. It's visually similar tho.

The actual Sonic Cycle.

Granted Boom did the franchise no favours whatsoever.

Sadly.

VLiberty

Okay

It's completely different from the Wii U version so it sorta counts. It's also possibly up there with Sonic 2006 and Shadow the Hedgehog when it comes to how bad it is.

Wow really? I was tempted to get it as I want to play Lost World but I don't have a Wii U yet, I mean I knew it wasn't the same game but I didn't know it was that bad.

Are Sonic threads like the only threads where people can sprout uninformed nonsense without consequence?

We need a "Can we stop Sonic shitposting please?" thread. Judging from the first page of the mobile thread, it kinda works.

Village

Sonic generations with more characters

Just that.

Dont pass to
Dont collect 200 dollars
Dont lost world or boom

3d generations style
Other playable guys

Don't be silly, that came out in 2006.
No that was sonic unleashed. stop with the misinformation.

Mabufu

Banned
I would agree with you but after playing Colors, it's extremely different in feel and control. Me personally I hate it, because it's very 2D centric with lack of good drifting controls compared to Unleashed and Generations, and platform heavy, more than anything and depends on wisps. Doesn't exactly reward you for fast paces either. It's like the only one I'd say needs a spin dash more than a boost. It's more similar to Lost World than the other two. It's visually similar tho.

I can agree with Colors feeling different.
But even in that case, it still shares the same base, boosting through the stage while collecting rings to keep boosting, with some platforming sections here and there.

Personally, I think we had already enough boosting based sections and enough fast-paced reflexe-based gameplay. Even if it's good, we cant stay always here.

I can agree with Colors feeling different.
But even in that case, it still shares the same base, boosting through the stage while collecting rings to keep boosting, with some platforming sections here and there.

Personally, I think we had already enough boosting based sections and enough fast-paced reflexe-based gameplay. Even if it's good, we cant stay always here.

I don't know man, we still haven't had multiplayer, character abilities, hidden routes to other stages, and all kinds of shit we could milk out of this playstyle. It's solid and it works.

It should be the main style and have other games on the side [i.e. Sonic 4, Lost World, etc.]

I rather have consistent design towards perfection with innovations here and there, than to start over, and fuck it all up. Maybe the second Lost World game will be better, but to replace the Boost Games with that design would be a huge mistake.

Have one main source of game and options, give them their 3D World and their New too.

Please no, let him die in peace. Unless it's like generations 3D stages. Entirely. No gimmicks.

Shut up, he's not even on life support. I agree about the 3D though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I believe we already saw pretty solid rumors about it

New-Sonic-Game-In-Development-for-PlayStation-4-Xbox-One-and-Wii-U-423110-3.jpg

I don't think this infographic was talking about Boom (the Tv show is already reported there, and the game section says that the game is aimed at '15 release).

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member

How about no? Sega's more than welcome to do whatever kind of wacky experiments they want, but they need something proven to fall back on in case it blows up in their face, as it has with Boom and arguably Lost World. As it stands, Sonic is one bad game away from being in a similar or possibly even worse situation than it was in back in 2006.

Sonic_Mean_Bean_Machine.jpg

...the sequel.

Puyo Puyo Tsu came out in 1994.

Piers

I don't think this infographic was talking about Boom (the Tv show is already reported there, and the game section says that the game is aimed at '15 release).

They said that Boom won't be replacing the main series but given what a shitstorm is going on with Sega right now, coupled with how much the company has invested in the Boom franchise, I'm willing to believe differently.

Simbabbad

You'd be surprised. In fact, as I said, everybody I've discussed the games with agreed they were vastly different. Unleashed is mostly a linear ride, Colours is all about exploration.

TimmiT

A SEGA rep debunked that infographic. Not that a Sonic game this year would be much of a stretch, but I have my doubts that if they're developing the game for PS4/Xbox One that it'd release on Wii U as well.

A SEGA rep debunked that infographic. Not that a Sonic game this year would be much of a stretch, but I have my doubts that if they're developing the game for PS4/Xbox One that it'd release on Wii U as well.

Really? On twitter or something? I do not remember seeing that and my memory tells me this infographic was spot on.

Top Bottom