• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GTA V set in Hollywood [Update: Rumored Cast Post 330]

Kifimbo

Banzaiaap said:
Excuse me for not reading this correctly, but: Announcing a GTA V at a Max Payne 3 event?

:lol

Might be a simple confusion. Remember, Rockstar missed E3 and decided to do their own event. So the Max Payne 3 event might be a Rockstar event where Max Payne 3 will be shown, but where other Rockstar titles like LA Noire and Agent will also be there. Announcing GTA V would make sense.

Zinthar said:
Re: Texas... Please no (unless every mission includes something making fun of Texans).

Have you ever played a Grand Theft Auto game? I fully expect Suburban Soccer Mom Sally running over people in the supermarket parking lot with her Hummer H3 and Ranch Hand Dewayne getting into bar fights in between fucking steers.

thcsquad said:
Someone mentioned Dubai. This is the most interesting prospect to me. Tokyo? Yakuza has 'Japanese GTA' covered. A Mexican city would be interesting, with the drug trade and all, but it might be too soon after RDR to do a 'Desert GTA'.

Dubai has ridiculous landmarks, plus the general excess and clashing of Eastern/Western culture there would make for some great story potential.

imgres

8WondersofDubai_Hydropolis.jpg
Yeah Dubai would have loads of potential, that would be amazing.

I would <3 more Vinewood action.

I just want driving to be fun again and some countryside to cruise in.
Besides that I just don't give a fuck.

Fox Mulder

Kifimbo said:
Might be a simple confusion. Remember, Rockstar missed E3 and decided to do their own event. So the Max Payne 3 event might be a Rockstar event where Max Payne 3 will be shown, but where other Rockstar titles like LA Noire and Agent will also be there. Announcing GTA V would make sense.

why?

GTA will only steal hype away from those titles, and it's not really needed. It's a given they're working on a new GTA, and it will do well whenever they choose to reveal it.

zugzug

Subliminal said:
Why not go to europe? London, Paris, Berlin. They would all be great (London would be best!)

in before comparsions to GTA and soccer hooligans! I choose you London! I wanna run around with my black tophat and my cricket bat boffing people!

Igo

WaltJay said:
GTA: Baltimore in the early 2000's, where you play groups of missions, each from from a different perspectives (cops, drug dealer, the press).

So yeah, The Wire: The Videogame. :D

DC Metro includes baltimore right? Running down some politicians and lobbyists sounds quite appealing.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
A different time period would be awesome. Maybe a Cold War city or something would led itself good.

Or simply just change up the location. Many South American cities would be choice, same with the typical request for an Asian one like Tokyo or Hong Kong.

CrankyJay

Banned
MetatronM said:
The same way any Hollywood movie does it. By having all principle characters speak in English while the random chatter is done mostly in whatever the native language (or a mix of languages) is.

Lame. A bunch of the charm is walking down the street and hearing the random chatter say insane shit.

Hey You

I'm hoping to be back in San Andreas.
Oh and:

Deepack said:
The USA culture is known throughout the entire Western world, and that is what makes it relatable to the players.

Setting the game in London (again) or Paris or whatever will make that stuff go down the drain for the people not familiar with that culture.
Exactly how I feel.

DiscoJer

kinoki said:
Since GTA has more or less always been a parody of the american way of life it feels kind of wrong to have it in any other place than USA. Sure, you can make a trip to Cuba or something but you'd want to touch on the American dream as a theme.

Exactly (except a little more than a parody, more like ham fisted social commentary). How can they point out how awful and stupid America is if the game isn't set in America?

MMaRsu

Banned
Nonsense.

Or it will be for a Vice City 2 and continue with a part of the story from Vice City.

Now that would be badass

Please do something different in terms of setting. New York, California, there's plenty of awesome cities even in the US to emulate. I'd fucking love to see a game based in Dubai. I tend to think that anywhere that organized crime (aka, any huge city) is probable, us Westerners will be able to make sense of it. If this wasn't the case, why would GTA 4 vanilla be based on a Serbian/Bulgarian immigrant?

I think this series is more about parodying Western culture, and materialism as a whole. These things are not exclusive to the US anymore.
Plywood said:
GTA + Blade Runner = GAF imploding.

Yes please, anything to bring gritty, dark cities back. I'd love to see them try something fresh like this.

A hard boiled corrupt cop in a near-future dystopia would be quite the experience for GTA. They need to push the series forward to keep it alive I think.

sumo390

Nice, hopefully this is true. I probably wouldn't even need the minimap if they did an accurate clone of Hollywood.

Mrbob

This game has to be coming October 2011 so I guess Rockstar needs to start the hype.

I was hoping they would handle the next GTA in Japan...I want the campaign to be similar to Gay Tony in terms of setup.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Himuro said:
Why not? It's the next step. Create your own world, stop relying on the current time period and past time periods. They've relied on the past and current time period for far too long. Futuristic setting would REALLY push it over the edge and imo, get people interested in GTA again.
People are interested in GTA, unless you live in some fantasyland where 17 million copies is miniscule. A futuristic setting is also inconsistent with the brand and would polarize the audience.

Himuro said:
If R* wants to sit on their degrading IP and stay in their comfort zone they will find people will flock elsewhere, ESPECIALLY since brand new GTA games are a dime in a dozen now.
Imitations? Sure. However, people can tell the real thing; the brand is in a class of it's own, like Bentley or something. They released what some people--including me--consider to be the two best GTA games last year; anyone who claims the artistic quality is going down does not know what they are talking about.

dreamcastmaster said:
GTA Hong Hong would be intresting, but the reality that it's quite a small place could be limiting.
It's called True Crime and it's coming out later this year.

Glowingmonx said:
Rio de Janeiro would be cool
Max Payne 3 is your answer.

offshore said:
There's more chance of Agent being like Mulholland Drive, (which would be completely amazing). Easily my favourite film, ever.
Unless that became a 70s spy thriller overnight, they will have nothing in common.

Bungieware said:
Also, 3 of Rockstars best efforts (Bully, Red Dead Redemption and Vice City) haven't been set in the present.
I'm pretty sure Bully was set in the present.

Anyways, if this is true, I would expect a re-invented Vice City to be Hollywood-esque. However, I kind of doubt the Housers want to take on LA after Midnight Club: Los Angeles.

NonexistentK said:
GTA: Entourage Edition
You might be onto something. Definitely could see the protag of the next GTA game being some sort of struggling actor or industry type.

Also, why can't GDJustin just be transparent and say that he hates LA?

X26

Banned
Yea a gritty futuristic setting that takes place in liberty city would be awesome, but can't see it happeneing

anyways,>1 city + towns + inbetween stuff or bust if it's a modern or past setting

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
WaltJay said:
GTA: Baltimore in the early 2000's, where you play groups of missions, each from from a different perspectives (cops, drug dealer, the press).

So yeah, The Wire: The Videogame. :D

Giving way too much credit to Rockstar's writers with that one.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Vice City but like 5X bigger.

I just want to go back to Vice City.

EDIT: Fuck, or Cuba, that would kick ass.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Goldrusher said:
And... ... there's also this little game called L.A. Noire coming up.
Completely forgot. That theoretically could be the reason for this expedition to LA.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
cuyahoga said:
Also, why can't GDJustin just be transparent and say that he hates LA?

It's true, I do hate LA :lol

BUT... that doesn't mean I'm wrong! It's just not an interesting video game setting in the way that NYC, Vegas, SF, Miami, etc. would be (and have been).

If you look at a picture of a random spot in one of these cities, it will be distinctive. People will recognize it and it orients them... you have an idea of what to expect and what you would experience in that place.

But pick a random LA street corner, and it will have a gas station, a laundromat, and a liqueur store. EVERY corner has those three things. Besides the ~5 block Hollywood area.

Shurs

Were any of the pre-E3 VG247 rumors actually true? Seems like a hack site to me, yet they consistently are brought up here on GAF. Why?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
SolidSnakex said:
How are they going to pull off the characters in those locations where the dominant language isn't English? Part of GTA's appeal is their characters and how well they fit into the location and time period that they're based on. How could they pull that off if they were to base it in Japan? There's no way they could try to sell it with everyone speaking Japanese. And yet if everyone is speaking English then they run into a problem with the characters not fitting into their location.
Have you ever been to Miami? :lol More English is spoken in Tokyo!

Tr4nce

Just give me some next-gen GTA Vice City. Come on, San Andreas maybe had the better environment, but Vice City had the best atmosphere. Tunes from the 80's and neon lit clubs and streets. Awesome.

Rockstar is in a very difficult position though. GTA needs to change a few essential things, and they know it. I'm glad I'm not in their shoes.

Bigfoot

I think a game in just Vegas could be interesting... maybe set it in the 50's / 60's when the Mafia was still strong there.

ScHlAuChi

Another GTA set in an american city?

BOOOOORING

Give us Tokyo, Paris, Berlin, Rome, Istanbul, HongKong, Shanghai or whatever, anything is better than those big grids!

Piggus

sflufan said:
I think the idea sucks.

The USA again? Seriously? How about London or Moscow or Tokyo?

This just blows.

GTA has always been set in America (sans London 1969.) All of the unique writing and style of the games is a parody of US locations. To be honest if it wasn't in the US, it wouldn't be GTA.

Powercast

bluedeviltron said:
Everything they touch turns to gold. No matter the setting, I'm there day one.
This. I seriously don't care at all about the location, just give me someplace as detailed as Liberty city in IV and the same quality writing/characters from the DLC's.

Top Bottom