• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Halo movie next year, Speilberg behind it

Scullibundo said:
LOL @ anybody who believed this news.

It's well known Spielberg acquired the rights for Dreamworks a couple years back. But if you think he's going to direct it there is something wrong with you.

He's shooting Lincoln next year, followed by Robopocalypse.

Thats because Robopocalyspe is just a code name for Halo! I just made that up. I don't believe Spielberg would ever direct a license like Halo. The best we could get out of that deal is Michael Bay directing Halo which is still a huge name for a license based film.

Really, I'd search through Ridley Scott's stable of commercial directors to find some one suitable.

Firestorm said:
Neill Blomkamp for director or bust.
this. also, fall of reach storyline or bust.
i don't want to see no stinkin forerunners. and nor will the masses.
when you say 'halo', people see the chief/spartans, the covenant, and possibly the flood and the halo rings. but the spartans and the covenant are the iconic part.

Scullibundo said:
Side note:

It always irks me to no end when people spell his name Speilberg, Spielburg or a mix of the two.

Glad I could "irk" you.

As a film school student I should probably whip myself for committing such a sin.

Busty

Banned
Scullibundo said:
It's well known Spielberg acquired the rights for Dreamworks a couple years back.

No it's not because he didn't do anything of the sort. He REPORTEDLY tried to acquire the rights which sounds like something he'd try and do. AFAIK the HALO movie rights are still with MS.

Spielberg is not afraid to drop his name to obtain directors and rights to properties and books etc. Spielberg personally pitched the executives at Hasbro for the rights to a Transformers movie when Dreamworks were fighting New Line in a heated bidding war for them.

When you get someone like Spielberg in the room pitching you it kind of blows everyone else out of the water. New Line didn't stand a chance. Spielberg won and gave the project to Michael Bay and the rest is history.

Get your facts right.

fernoca

Scullibundo said:
LOL @ anybody who believed this news.

It's well known Spielberg acquired the rights for Dreamworks a couple years back. But if you think he's going to direct it there is something wrong with you.

He's shooting Lincoln next year, followed by Robopocalypse.
Yep.
No way the movie is coming next year; when there's noone making it right now.

-Resident Evil 5 is coming Septmeber next year and starts filming next week.
-Silent Hill 2 comes next year (no date yet) and filming took place between March-May of this year.
-Mortal Kombat is coming in Summer 2013 and they're working on the script right now and already have a director.

Yet, Halo has no director, noone making it; aside an early script and is coming next year. :p

Warm Machine said:
Actually, get Danny Boyle on this with Alex Garland's original Halo script.

I've been saying this forever. Though, as much as I love Garland as a writer - it REALLY needs another draft.

Busty said:
No it's not because he didn't do anything of the sort. He REPORTEDLY tried to acquire the rights which sounds like something he'd try and do. AFAIK the HALO movie rights are still with MS.

Spielberg is not afraid to drop his name to obtain directors and rights to properties and books etc. Spielberg personally pitched the executives at Hasbro for the rights to a Transformers movie when Dreamworks were fighting New Line in a heated bidding war for them.

When you get someone like Spielberg in the room pitching you it kind of blows everyone else out of the water. New Line didn't stand a chance. Spielberg won and gave the project to Michael Bay and the rest is history.

Get your facts right.

My mistake - he made a play for the rights.

Always a pleasure, Busty.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Spielberg will just be a producer at most, definitely have some creative input, but its either going be a director for hirer or someone who he is already in cahoots with.

Angry Fork

Spielberg has been 'behind' so much crap that it's ruined his name/reputation. I don't care what his name is backing now unless he's directing it himself.

Top Bottom