• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Halo Wars Definitive Edition Coming to Steam (Using Steam Features)

Wedzi

Banned
Hey its always possible I guess, depends on where MS goes with their whole PC thing. Halo Wars is actually big enough to sell so this might help push them to doing more Steam releases

Fingers crossed then. I'd totally quintuple dip on Halo Combat Evolved to play it with a mouse and keyboard again. Hang em high on school computers with my bros was a great gaming highlight.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
how do these games compare to the established RTS PC games like Total War and SC2? never really gave them a shot because they must be designed around using a controller.

Wedzi

Banned
how do these games compare to the established RTS PC games like Total War and SC2? never really gave them a shot because they must be designed around using a controller.

Comparing Halo Wars to SC, main difference is resource management and base building. It's pretty simplified. Base building is restricted to grid like bases with 7 max spots for building buildings. Resources consist of supply and power. Supply for building units and power to run buildings. Both are obtained by building specific buildings, a supply pad and a power generator.

Other than that Halo Wars has a similar rock paper scissors meta of building a variety of units to combat what your opponent has built up. Scouting, micromanagement, unit abilities all play a vital role.

Your mileage will also vary depending on how much you enjoy the Halo universe. Ensemble (RIP) did a great job capturing dat Halo feel

opricnik

Banned
I am pretty sure they are doing this because its a RTS they like to bring niche games to Steam and their goal probably lol you to buy halo wars2 from their store if you liked 1 on steam.

Not bad idea first game is better and with mod support it would be better better

Blam

Lol these people saying it won't happen it's right there in front of you. I can also confirm this information that it will be happening.

Timeless

I put down $80 for HW2 ultimate edition and they move to Steam a few months later. Jerks. HW1 DE is already dead on PC from what I can tell.

The irony with threatening to leak the HW2 story is (spoilers)
the story wasn't even that good. Leaking it would do nothing.

Lazaro

The Steam integration was discovered a couple of months ago in the files I believe, but I dont think anyone has tried to activate it.

The Steam Universal leak had alot of recent MS Studios titles listed so maybe it will come.

This bodes well for Sea of Thieves being on Steam. That's how I want to interpret it anyway.

Lionhead was apparently looking at bringing Fable Legends to Steam during its long alpha/beta period I'd imagine RARE is considering Steam too.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Lol these people saying it won't happen it's right there in front of you lmao. I can also confirm this information that it will be happening.

Do you have some information not in the OP? The OP demonstrates there are some Steam related strings in the game but I don't feel like that's super strong evidence it will be released on Steam soon. Could be they thought about it at some point and things changed. What else do you know?

_Aaron_

How about Halo 3 instead?

This.

I also think it''s kind of ridiculous that Microsoft have never bothered to re-release Halo: CE or Halo 2 on PC digitally.

They re-released other old games on Steam like Age of Mythology and Rise of Nations but have never bothered with Halo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't it be "on Steam"?

Edit: Also, "make sure your internet connection and Steam connection are active"? Poor grammar here...

Blam

Do you have some information not in the OP? The OP demonstrates there are some Steam related strings in the game but I don't feel like that's super strong evidence it will be released on Steam soon. Could be they thought about it at some point and things changed. What else do you know?

That's a legit screenshot of Halo Wars on steam. This isn't some out dated thing.

Ac30

ive been burned too often on this halo steam stuff

I'm still waiting on Halo 3

What the fuck Microsoft please it's been 10 years and I just want to play the best halo again, is that so much to ask :'(

No, Halo Online doesn't count.

Blam

I'm confused. Will you share your information with the thread or not?

Edit: where are you saying the build is from then? How did he get a version of the game that's not from the Windows store?

Not much to share. It's the same thing as the WS version, but it's on steam. I'm not going to be disclosing where it's from.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Not much to share. It's the same thing as the WS version, but it's on steam. I'm not going to be disclosing where it's from.

Wait what? So this is from some stolen build or something? Why come into this thread with this stuff if you're not willing to share? So the picture in the OP doesn't come from the Win store version but you won't say where it does come from? That's a very different story from the tweets

Why are you acting like people wouldn't assume the pics are from the win store version if it's the only one available? If you're not going to share information you shouldn't make baseless claims

Blam

Wait what? So this is from some stolen build or something? Why come into this thread with this stuff if you're not willing to share? So the picture in the OP doesn't come from the Win store version but you won't say where it does come from? That's a very different story from the tweets

Why are you acting like people wouldn't assume the pics are from the win store version if it's the only one available? If you're not going to share information you shouldn't make baseless claims

It's not stolen, and like I mentioned before you're looking at the steam version of the game. Like what exactly do you want me to share that the twitter guy hasn't already done.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
It's not stolen, and like I mentioned before you're looking at the steam version of the game. Like what exactly do you want me to share that the twitter guy hasn't already done.

The twitter is just a screenshot of the game displaying steam related text. The only release of the game is the Windows store version. Either, he somehow has access to an unreleased copy of the game or those are strings that are present but unused in the Windows store version.

You're saying you have some proof the screens are from an unreleased version of the game so where is it? How is it not stolen if it's an unreleased version that's not available to the public?

The shots in the OP show Steam related text in the game, if the story is 'hacker has access to an unreleased build of Halo Wars for Steam' that's a very different story to 'Halo Wars contains some Steam related text, may release on Steam in the future'.

You need to share more information if you're claiming this is from an unreleased build because we were working from the idea this text is in the public release copy on the Windows store

It's almost as if they're only putting Halo games on Steam that have no chance of selling well to be like "welp Halo doesn't sell on Steam see why bother"

CRZYSPZ

A big portion of the already small audience for the Windows Store today are only buying games there begrudgingly, and would prefer to buy them on Steam or indeed anywhere else.

Yes some people would still want to get games there, but that number would get a lot smaller if MS published PC games were on Steam too.

Or buy digital copies of their Xbox One games? That's what I do.

Blam

The twitter is just a screenshot of the game displaying steam related text. The only release of the game is the Windows store version. Either, he somehow has access to an unreleased copy of the game or those are strings that are present but unused in the Windows store version.

You're saying you have some proof the screens are from an unreleased version of the game so where is it? How is it not stolen if it's an unreleased version that's not available to the public?

The shots in the OP show Steam related text in the game, if the story is 'hacker has access to an unreleased build of Halo Wars for Steam' that's a very different story to 'Halo Wars contains some Steam related text, may release on Steam in the future'.

You need to share more information if you're claiming this is from an unreleased build because we were working from the idea this text is in the public release copy on the Windows store

You don't need to steal the game to have access to something that isn't public, I mean you could be testing it. Just saying. He also mentions right here that he'll test on xp and 7 it when he gets the chance to. https://twitter.com/Gamecheat13/status/845830942233169920

Also there never was a maybe coming to steam. It's more of a when is it coming to steam. Please don't use 'hacker has access to an unreleased build of Halo Wars for Steam' it's more like 'Modder has access to an unreleased build of Halo Wars for Steam'. There was no hacking involved, there was no stealing involved.

NDAs are a thing you know.
Blam's probably trying not to get sued into oblivion.

Nah I'm not under any NDAs, I'm just looking out for others.

Bluth54

It's almost as if they're only putting Halo games on Steam that have no chance of selling well to be like "welp Halo doesn't sell on Steam see why bother"

There are multiple RTS games that have sold several million copies on Steam like the Age of Empire series and the Total War series. Halo Wars has the potential to do very well on Steam.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
You don't need to steal the game to have access to something that isn't public, I mean you could be testing it. Just saying. He also mentions right here that he'll test on xp and 7 it when he gets the chance to. https://twitter.com/Gamecheat13/status/845830942233169920

Also there never was a maybe coming to steam. It's more of a when is it coming to steam. Please don't use 'hacker has access to an unreleased build of Halo Wars for Steam' it's more like 'Modder has access to an unreleased build of Halo Wars for Steam'. There was no hacking involved, there was no stealing involved.

Nah I'm not under any NDAs, I'm just looking out for others.

Um you can't seriously be claiming this guy is officially testing the game after his history. Microsoft called him up after banning him from Xbox and said 'hey want to test our new unannounced product?' That makes no sense

I'd love to 'mod' my way into unreleased products lol. Brb gonna 'mod' valves servers to get HL3

Bluth54

Um you can't seriously be claiming this guy is officially testing the game after his history. Microsoft called him up after banning him from Xbox and said 'hey want to test our new unannounced product?' That makes no sense

I would imagine it's probably code found by data mining either the existing PC version or the console version.

Blam

Don't need to take my word for it. Honestly doesn't matter if you do. I'm just telling the truth.

12Dannu123

Well after Win 10 store & Steam the next stop for MS titles is GoG, Green Man Gaming, Origin & Uplay shop.

You wanna get nuts, lets get nuts c'mon!

g3sSDo.gif

All would be using the UWP format though.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Don't need to take my word for it. Honestly doesn't matter if you do. I'm just telling the truth.

Right, you just condescending came into to laugh at everyone but refuse to back up your statements with anything. For what it's worth I actually totally believe you but you shouldn't be coming into thread like that if you aren't willing to actually substantiate your claims

Blam

Right, you just condescending came into to laugh at everyone but refuse to back up your statements with anything. For what it's worth I actually totally believe you but you shouldn't be coming into thread like that if you aren't willing to actually substantiate your claims

I totally understand where you're coming from, and if it weren't so risky to back my claims up I'd have done it in my first post. Also shouldn't have been such a dick in the first post i made on this thread.

Yohane

Makes sense on a business prospective. They are leaving money on the table if they don't release it on stem.

Bluth54

All would be using the UWP format though.

Microsoft let Remedy release the Steam version of Quantum Break in the Win32 format and it was playable on Windows 7 and newer.
Assuming Microsoft is doing this to make back the money they spent on this remaster I would think they would want to get this to as large of an audience as possible.

Parsnip

ALL UNITS

I might buy it.
If they want the multiplayer have any chance of surviving on any platform, they should do crossplay between steam and the uwp version when it releases.

Top Bottom