• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor has been cut from JL

Same reason Eisenberg can't.
Same reason Christopher Reeve pulled off the best superman.
When you look at an actor, the actor should match the character in looks as much as possible. This isn't being childish and disregarding an actor's skills. It's about bringing the character to life.
Might as well cast Paul Giamatti has Batman. He's a better actor than Matt Damon or most of these folks. He'd be able to bring Bruce Wayne's persona to life.

Lmao. What? Some of the greatest performances of all time have come from actors who look nothing like the people they're portraying.

Of all the things I hated about BvS (which was a lot, really), the Jolly Rancher scene wasn't one of them. I actually thought it was hilariously awkward. The guys reaction was great too. Such a weird exchange.

it was one of the best scenes with Luthor tbh. showed how much he got off (to a perverse extent) on his level of power and control.

LotusHD

Banned
it was one of the best scenes with Luthor tbh. showed how much he got off (to a perverse extent) on his amount of power and control.

His only good scene imo was when he basically made Supes his bitch by blackmailing him concerning his mother's whereabouts. Seeing him just throw the pictures on the floor as Supes sank into despair was great.

Other than yea, character was shit, I would love for him to be cut, or at least, do a complete 180 on his personality. I don't even care if it makes little sense, the direction he took in BvS absolutely was one of the worst parts of a movie that was already bad to begin with.

LiK

He totally ruined BvS. At least if he was more serious and less goofy, it would've been so much better.

Budi

I kinda felt bad for laughing at this. But if it's true, atleast he still got paid for his work. But I can imagine that it doesn't feel nice. His casting was a big mistake, he gave the role his all and made some "interesting" choices. Or maybe it was the director, but anyway I'd say it didn't work.
He totally ruined BvS. At least if he was more serious and less goofy, it would've been so much better.
Let's not exaggerate, no matter who played the role the movie wouldn't had been really saved by just that. Improved sure. But it's unfair to say that he ruined the movie.
Lmao. What? Some of the greatest performances of all time have come from actors who look nothing like the people they're portraying.
Yes! I don't really understand this fixation of "looking like the role" that many Gaffers seem to have. They'd hire models and Youtubers over acclaimed actors.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
it was one of the best scenes with Luthor tbh. showed how much he got off (to a perverse extent) on his level of power and control.

From my memory, it's probably the ONLY scene in that movie that he didn't make me want to punch him.

For the record, I think Eisenberg is a talented actor, but this role wasn't a good fit for him. Or I should say, this role wasn't a good fit for Lex Luthor. If it was Riddler, or Toyman, or even Jason fucking Todd, I think he would have worked. But Lex Luthor? No.

From my memory, it's probably the ONLY scene in that movie that he didn't make me want to punch him.

For the record, I think Eisenberg is a talented actor, but this role wasn't a good fit for him. Or I should say, this role wasn't a good fit for Lex Luthor. If it was Riddler, or Toyman, or even Jason fucking Todd, I think he would have worked. But Lex Luthor? No.

A good villain makes you want to punch him tho

ericexpo

I keep wondering how much this movie cost, will this be the biggest budget movie of all time?
It will go with the wb track record of over spending on the nic cage superman then superman returns and filming a the most expensive scene just to cut it from the movie.

shira

Same reason Eisenberg can't.
Same reason Christopher Reeve pulled off the best superman.
When you look at an actor, the actor should match the character in looks as much as possible. This isn't being childish and disregarding an actor's skills. It's about bringing the character to life.
Might as well cast Paul Giamatti has Batman. He's a better actor than Matt Damon or most of these folks. He'd be able to bring Bruce Wayne's persona to life.
It's the actors job to transform too

What no. I wanted more Lex antics. We need more piss.

trump-putin-tape-snl-1484491613.gif

Gotta be honest.

I rather liked his take on Lex. It didn't fit any preconceived notions of the character, which I guess is where most of the objections come from. But I liked it just the same.

Jesse wasn't the problem. It was the trash writing. He played some facade of a joker character because that's what they wanted and the role they gave him. Jesse Eisenburg could have played the role well if given the chance I think. BvS was just god awful.

Dead

well not really...yet
Gotta be honest.

I rather liked his take on Lex. It didn't fit any preconceived notions of the character, which I guess is where most of the objections come from. But I liked it just the same.
A petty and jealous tech genius business mogul with desires to tear down Superman because he resents what he feels his existence means to his own worldview. It's literally Lex Luthor at his most defining. Only now he's also a physical opposite foil to Superman himself, small and feeble, rather than the tall and lumbering businessman he's usually shown as.

Sojgat

Jesse wasn't the problem. It was the trash writing. He played some facade of a joker character because that's what they wanted and the role they gave him. Jesse Eisenburg could have played the role well if given the chance I think. BvS was just god awful.

This.

massoluk

Banned
Tbh, I thought it was a bad idea to let him knowing the identities of god damn everyone and getting locked up in BvS. Felt like they backed themselves into the corner with that.

Dysun

Lex Luthor and The Joker are the worst things to come out of the DCEU so far, lets bring his Dad in and write him out of the universe.

Lokimaru

Lex Luthor throughout TV and Cinema

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvSR_MPZdMQ

I think Eisenburg stacked up well. Besides BvS was just as much Lex begins and MoS was Superman begins. Say what you will about his portrayal but he did more then damage to Superman then any Lex in the history of the character, far more then the Joker ever did to Batman. #fortycakes
64942805_by_scarecrow113-da0dlxm.jpg

Lokimaru

Lex Luthor and The Joker are the worst things to come out of the DCEU so far, lets bring his Dad in and write him out of the universe.

Lets see, the Joker runs Gotham's Underworld while Lex is the worst Domestic Terrorist in US history. Basically the Clown Prince of Crime and the Greatest Criminal Mastermind in the World. Not seeing the problem here.

HeatBoost

I wonder how long until we get a post-Nolan DC movie with a good villain

Marvel didn't take that long. Loki is good. Red Skull was a bit flat, but not bad.

But BVS, Suicide Squad and presumably Justice League all use boring CG lunkheads, and Man of Steel and Wonder Woman used shouty maniacs with boring looks and action gimmicks, and Joker and Luthor are really, really stupid, nonthreatening attempts at "intimidating" quirky weirdos.

massoluk

Banned
Lets see, the Joker runs Gotham's Underworld while Lex is the worst Domestic Terrorist in US history. Basically the Clown Prince of Crime and the Greatest Criminal Mastermind in the World. Not seeing the problem here.
Lex's plan doesn't make sense, AT ALL.

Lokimaru

Lex's plan doesn't make sense, AT ALL.

Does to him.

The Really messed up thing about Lex is that he interacted with five Women in the Movie. Three of which wound up dead ether directly or indirectly by his hand while the other two were saved by outside intervention. Does Lex also have mommy issues as well? Mommy didn't protect him from Daddy?

LotusHD

Banned

The problem is that both of their performances sucked.

The problem is that both of their performances sucked.

I don't know about their performances, as it's hard for me to imagine others doing much better with the shit material they had to work with. But, regardless of who is to blame, they do both suck. We have the shittiest Joker and Lex that have ever existed, at the same time. It kind of fucking sucks.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Lex isn't ever a reasonable physical threat to Superman though. That's why the character is interesting. I hate the modern thing of putting him in a robo-suit so they can punch each other. He ought to be a mental threat to Superman. Eisenberg can do that incredibly well.

Nah. Lex is so overexposed nobody thinks he's anything but a villain of the week at this point.

He's in a robosuit because everyone thinks the character is boring without it.

Top Bottom