• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Leaked art work suggest COD 2017 will be called ‘Call of Duty: WWII

If Treyarch is Black Ops & Sledgehammer historical CoD, then IW should make...

Results are only viewable after voting.
YESSS!!! I need a good fill of WWII era games for this generation. BF1 sort of came close (albeit a different era), but that's gone down the shitter lately.

I wonder if it will like "classic" COD or WAW in terms of tone...

I remember people hating WW2 COD after so many games, then they hated Modern and Futuristic COD too, so now it's back to WW2 and everybody loves it again ? I'll give it 10 minutes until people hate WW2 COD again.

Would have preferred something a little different but it could still be pretty epic, with how much better the graphics have become since the last WW2 COD.

Prologue

80458-Im-Out-George-Costanza-Seinfel-HAqL.gif

Aangster

Hopefully it's a return to the WWII setting without the emotes, extremely low TTK, skins and wild killstreak gimmicks.

I hope they do a variety of different WWII campaigns, like Treyarch did in CoD3 (Canadian and Polish). I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty interested. Just something different from Normandy and Stalingrad would be nice.

Same here. I know a lot of people like to shit on COD3's campaign but loved how it explored the personality conflicts between the squad.

RedSwirl

Also, did Infinite Warfare basically feel like a Pacific theater naval campaign in space to anybody else? The home ship and fighters could have been a WWII ship and WWII fighters respectively, and the solar system map could have just been a map of Japanese-held Pacific islands.

At the very least it makes me wish they'd try out air combat and more vehicular warfare in COD in general. COD2 tried to do Kursk, maybe they could try that again.

Vibranium

Banned
Same here. I know a lot of people like to shit on COD3's campaign but loved how it explored the personality conflicts between the squad.

I loved Cod3 outside of the American campaign. Playing as Canadians fighting in the factory level was so memorable to me, and I loved how squad members had written backstories in the menu.

And playing as Doyle with the SAS again was fun, doing night operations with the French resistance.

Icolin

Banned
Me too, especially that full orchestra soundtrack that was always super epic and made it feel like you were playing Saving Private Ryan.

I want Spielberg, and Michael Giacchino for that matter, to return to gaming so bad. Imagine a current gen Metal of Honor running on a PS4 Pro... my god.

Dmax3901

It's funny to consider where CoD's tone as a franchise was when it last dealt with WWII compared to where it is now. Hopefully they deal with the period with tact.

I remember people hating WW2 COD after so many games, then they hated Modern and Futuristic COD too, so now it's back to WW2 and everybody loves it again ? I'll give it 10 minutes until people hate WW2 COD again.

Would have preferred something a little different but it could still be pretty epic, with how much better the graphics have become since the last WW2 COD.

People get tired of them because it feels like too many games follow those themes. When Modern Warfare blew up it meant that nearly every FPS moved into modern settings. And then there was a shift to futuristic shooters. That meant that we really haven't seen a AAA shooter (with a campaign) set during WW2 in nearly a decade. People are also just really curious about what could be done with that setting with modern tech.

Me too, especially that full orchestra soundtrack that was always super epic and made it feel like you were playing Saving Private Ryan.

Oh god Yes. I was playing WaW last week and the music was the most obnoxious dudebro techno-rock soundtrack, and it was so out of place. Arnhem Knights from MoH: Frontline in comparison made a basic-ass mission feel epic and emotional.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
The art looks nice but I feel as if Activision lacks direction with all the jumping between time periods trying to home in on what that fanbase will gravitate towards uniformly are chasing things that competitors have done to differentiate themselves. Regardless, this art looks good, I hope it plays well and is more defined in terms of its identity and not mimicking the gimmicks of other shooters.

Plum

To people wondering why some might be excited about Call of Duty going back to the Second World War:

Come November: Call of Duty -> Modern Warfare will equal World at War -> WW2

Now I'm waiting for gameplay myself to really judge, despite being optimistic, but I think people are underestimating how long it's been since we had something like a CoD game set in WW2.

Anung

Un Rama
So this'll be the Advanced Warfare guys right? Because they put out one of the better cod campaigns of the last few years.

People were sick of WW2 shooters because that'll all that kept getting put out, now they're sick of modern shooters because it's all that's been getting put out. I'm all for the return of the historical shooter, personally.

So, bets on Activision finding a way to reach even lower depths of tone-deafness with this one?

They got 1up EA's BF1 marketing team somehow.

jaaz

Just some possible D-Day + X scenarios off the top of my head:

-6th British airborne division capture of the Pegasus bridge
-101st and 82nd airborne drop in the early morning of June 6th near St. Mere Eglise and their battles near Carentan to join up the Utah and Omaha beach landings.
-Omaha beach landing of course
-Pont Du Hoc U.S Ranger assault
-Battles within Normandy, Caen, Bayeux, Cherbourg, etc.

DSN2K

I'd like a Timesplitters/COD game, Time war where you have to go back and change shit and have alternative reality's.

Plum

Just some possible D-Day + X scenarios off the top of my head:

-6th British airborne division capture of the Pegasus bridge
-101st and 82nd airborne drop in the early morning of June 6th near St. Mere Eglise and their battles near Carentan to join up the Utah and Omaha beach landings.
-Omaha beach landing of course
-Pont Du Hoc U.S Ranger assault
-Battles within Normandy, Caen, Bayeux, Cherbourg, etc.

It'll be D-Day w/Americans, mainland France w/the British and Stalingrad w/Russians and you'll like it.

Vexed

Call of Duty 2 was the game that justified the leap to the 360 shortly after launch for me, and I played it endlessly when I finally got one - plz bundle a remaster or re-use some maps.

Top Bottom