• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Leaked document detailing MS future plans for the Xbox line. 56 pages long.

Vinci

Danish
What does it mean by "always on"?

I can still play games offline unlike Diablo 3, right?

Like WiiConnect24, I assume. Some aspect of the system is always on so long as you do a soft shutdown of the system, allowing it to update and grab content even while it's not in actual use.

Hey guys.

Tom Warren here (Senior Editor at The Verge). I posted this story at The Verge yesterday. I just wanted to clear up a few things and address some points I've seen posted elsewhere etc. The Xbox 720 leak was covered by The Verge at The Verge, not Polygon at The Verge. I know the temporary home can be confusing at times, but thought it was important to point that out.

As for how we check these types of stories. I have been reporting on Microsoft for around 12 years now. That's not to say I know everything about Microsoft and its processes, but I have a fairly good idea of what is and isn't an internal doc usually after the first few pages. This document in question is from August 2010, prior to iOS 4.2 (mentioned in the PPT notes) and when certain team members (mentioned in doc notes) were still at the company in engineering roles. The document references several employees by name and uses one of Microsoft's internal "CSG_Pres" PowerPoint templates (an early example of their Metro style PowerPoint templates that are used regularly internally now).

Couple this with the fact it aligns with other information I've seen about Nextbox over the past year, it aligned perfectly. The document also references Microsoft's SmartGlass technology (announced at E3). I went through a number of other ways to verify the information was as accurate as other stories we would report on - I'm not going to outline the exact processes because I like to keep those secret :)

We make every attempt to ensure this type of data is accurate. I ran a number of stories ahead of this year's E3, and they were all accurate:

Microsoft to bring full Internet Explorer browsing to Xbox 360 with Kinect controls
Exclusive: Kinect Play Fit to offer universal exercise tracking with 'Joule' heart rate monitor
Exclusive: $99 Xbox 360 + Kinect bundle launching next week with two-year subscription
Exclusive: Microsoft to preview 'Woodstock' Xbox music service at E3

Hopefully this clears up any questions over how we vet this type of information. I don't typically report on Xbox or gaming news (its not my core knowledge) but I do enjoy reading Neogaf threads from time to time. You guys have an amazing community here so keep it up :)

Thanks,
Tom

Thanks for the update.

How long did it take for Crackle to show up on PS3? This just speaks to what I brought up before. Sony had a head start for this sort of thing (both in timing and actual owned IP), and has completely shitted it away with ineptness. MS has already surpassed them on this front, and looks to dramatically step it up next gen.
For background; Sony does not have any commercial DASH IPTV of their own, just Crackle (free) from "Home" even though they own a movie studio and have a site (Crackle) that offers free access to some Sony owned Movies. From disclosures they are using AVM+ (Adobe Flash) which they can use for non-commercial DASH IPTV and third parties are providing their own Dash players most likely Gstreamer for commercial DASH IPTV with DRM.

My guess is they are waiting for Standards and Gstreamer 1.0 + GTKwebkit2 which they will use for XTV, commercial IPTV from Sony Store, Augmented Reality, Ultraviolet player App and more. This should happen by Sept of this year.

I expect a Xbox361 and PS3.5 (will have HDMI pass-thru and 1080P support) also for this holiday season as XTV should take off when Webkit2 (Sept) has advanced enough to support XTV on CE Equipment (TVs, GoogleTV, Blu-ray players with 1080P HDMI in/out (pass-thru) Edit: They may use the same AMD SOC also.

In terms of details that's true (timing, specs, etc) ... but unless there was some sort of dramatic change in course, there's a ton of high level info in here that shows the direction they are going with a variety of products. More importantly, some of these services and products actually have recently materialized. And given that the big picture presented here makes all of these items quite interrelated, it gives a ton of credence to the other services and features presented - at least from a high level. Obviously the details have likely changed.
That's what I find interesting, for instance these hardware specs:

USB3
HDMI
Display Port
LVDS Low Voltage Differential Signal The typical applications are high-speed video, graphics, video camera data transfers,
W-HDMI Wireless HDMI is a colloquial term for wireless high-definition audio and video signals connectivity on consumer electronics products.
Gigabit eithernet
PCI-E
SATA hard disk
802.11N (WiFi)
ATSC (Over the air Digital TV tuner USA)
HSDPA High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) is an enhanced 3G (third generation) mobile telephony communications protocol
WiMAX is a wireless communications standard designed to provide 30 to 40 megabit-per-second data rates,[1] with the 2011 update providing up to 1 Gbit/s for fixed stations. It is a part of a “fourth generation,” or 4G, of wireless-communication technology. WiMax far surpasses the 30-metre wireless range of a conventional Wi-Fi local area network

The 3-D Fortaleza glasses will first generation be wired using LVDS or Display Port which has both power and LCD direct drive. Second generation may be wireless and include a WiFI or 3G or 4G interface.

In any case these specs are able to directly support Phones and tablets with a number of Wireless (RF) protocols and frequencies. PS4 should support the same.

Multiple Power States PS4 should support the same
•Full Power
•Media Playback
•Idle
•Streaming
•Standby

Full XTV support (i.e. linear TV, TV apps, DVR, Always on)
Online Content (Netflix, WebApps/Content/Svcs)
Video/Music Marketplace
Media Hub
A/V form factor
Quiet. Cool. Green.

PS4 the same, PS4 the same for all except for on-live and Kinect2 which according to a Sony Depth sensing camera patent, Sony will have also.

OK we also suspect that AMD is making most of the components and most likely the SOC with both Sony and Microsoft most likely X86 and AMD GPU so I'm wondering why we don't assume both Sony and Microsoft are using exactly the same SOC from AMD.

Remember microsoft-sony.com and sony-microsoft.com July 2011

Economy of scale and sharing of design cost and AMD libraries should make this sharing of a AMD SOC design attractive for both. But this would be Sony-AMD and Microsoft-AMD partnerships not Sony-Microsoft so something more, some sharing of technology unique to either Sony or Microsoft must be involved.

Sony Dec 2010 published a patent for a 1PPU4SPU wafer that could be used alone or combined with Xbar switch using 4 wafers to make a PS4. Further it looked like the wafer could be full HSA and work in an AMD SOC. It's stretching speculation but 2 of these wafers (may be 1 later model PPC ISA family + 3 SPUs) could be in an AMD SOC to provide Backward Compatibility for both Xbox360 and PS4 as well as math or other features a game console would need. Add rumors of Barcelona Super Computer center working on a PS4 Cell into the mix; BSC which wrote the Cell simulator for IBM that runs on a X86 platform as well most likely the early PS3 simulator and possibly the Xbox360 simulator and you have a good start given SPUs and PPC processors in the SOC of real time emulation of both Xbox 360 and PS3 using the same SOC.

Xbox361 and PS3.5 would use the same AMD SOC (not the same as the PS4 SOC) and have 2 PPC+SPU wafers in it and would emulate PS3 or Xbox 360 using much of the same emulator code the PS4 and Xbox 720 would use for BC. Software is cheaper than hardware and economy of scale savings should be greater than the cost of creating the emulators.

Project 10 = Xbox361 ?

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/rumor-microsofts-next-xbox-codenamed-project-ten-coming-next-year/ said:
The current codename for the next Xbox is “Project Ten”
It will be coming in time for next year’s holiday season
The UI will be heavily based around Microsoft’s “Metro” style of user interface (the current interface for Windows Phone 7, and the style both the Xbox 360 and Windows 8 are moving to)
The console’s OS will have Microsoft’s Silverlight technology deeply embedded in it (potentially for uses such as media functionality)
Microsoft will be going the “Apple route” with Project Ten, meaning the console will extensively integrate with Windows 8 and Windows Phone for better cross-platform functionality

Xbox 361, cheaper Xbox360 with more features: Page 50

HDMI pass-thru (IF the PS3 had this then Google TV would be possible)
HD-Homerun => access to a Homerun Digital TV tuner (just software support needed) I've got one and it's a 2 digital tuner (Cable and Air) connected to network.
XTV with full 1080P and overlays (Not possible on Xbox 360)

More is implied here, HDMI pass-through implies always on low power modes, Xbox361 as the only input to your TV with it controlling your picture with overlays, windows with information from the web and more.

So this is similar to what we were speculating a PS3.5 would have.

Xbox361 and Slimmer Slim PS3.5 released this holiday season?

Yes, there must be a lower priced PS3 and it must support a HDMI pass-thru for XTV. Same for Microsoft, there must be a lower price Xbox361 with HDMI pass-thru. Both will be SOC based to reduce cost. Since stacked Ram is faster and cheaper than XDR and the Cell would have to be redesigned to be shrunk further (28nm) there could be large changes to the hardware that would require a major rewrite to the PS3 OS.

I expect both will be SOCs built with AMD building blocks (cheaper) and for the PS3.5 the RSX emulated. Building a GPU for a PS3.5 or Xbox 361 in 2012 is going to require a custom massively down scaled GPU that could be used by both. Since economy of scale (AMD building blocks) would have USB3 being cheaper than a custom older USB2, wireless N chip cheaper than G ....you get the point, the PS3.5 and Xbox 361 would be massively advanced over "standard" consoles and cheaper.

A cheaper Slimmer slim could not be produced until the AMD SOC building blocks and processes were ready and that is this year.

Given the above it's a small stretch to believe the redesigned PS3 Cell to fit in a AMD SOC and using building blocks that should be similar to some of the PS4 building blocks with OS emulating RSX that the same redesigned Cell could be in a PS4 for BC. Also with one more PPC in the PS3 SOC and PS4 SOC, Xbox 360 could be emulated in both

Sony and Microsoft can not announce 361 and PS3.5 until they know the Yield stats for the SOC and Sony can not release a PS3.5 until GTKwebkit2 with Gstreamer 1.0 is ready to support XTV and that won't happen till about Sept.

Any announcement of a 361 or PS3.5 will kill sales of Xbox360 and PS3. They will not be announced until stocks of older generation machines are lower and stocks of 361 and PS3.5 are high enough for this season.

teraMEL0S

It's really interesting to me to read this document. I will always be a skeptic first, but from it being taken down by those affiliated with Microsoft, the smartglass and metro details, and Tom Warrens level of experience with Microsoft related information, my opinion about this has changed.

I like most of what I see, but also find most of this information to be obvious. I am so down for an improved Kinect sensor that utilized a controller so I get some sense of feedback. I also really like Blu-Ray. The one thing that really interests me within the document is the cloud proposition for 2015. It seems to me they eventually intend on skipping a new 9th hardware generation all together in exchange with cloud services. This is a neat idea, but where will internet speeds be at that time? That might be looking into it too much, but as far as having such a major gaming experience upgrade without the need of new hardware is definitely going to be doable at some point in our lifetimes.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Definitely looks real. Having done product roadmapping / concepting for big companies myself, this is pretty much how the suits do it. You come up with ambiguous waffle value propositions and key selling points and post rationalize available components into a big fucking matrix roadmap covering the next five years. You spice it upmwith whatever pics you find from google images. It turns inspiration to boredom. In fact, I disliked the practice so much I switched profession.

But they already have this gen. That's what's so ridiculous.
How long did it take for Crackle to show up on PS3? This just speaks to what I brought up before. Sony had a head start for this sort of thing (both in timing and actual owned IP), and has completely shitted it away with ineptness. MS has already surpassed them on this front, and looks to dramatically step it up next gen.

Was this the case in the US?

In the UK, MS have been lagging behind both the Wii and the 360 in terms of actual content provider delivery. Not having a web browser and doing everything via 'app' and keeping it behind a paywall was a major reason for this.

They're just about on par now.

PS4 will be 3 generationa ahead of xbox 720 ?

Is there any confirmation for that ?
No

From BY3D a statement that echos what I tried to say when I posted a link to this document: "The important thing is I think, as the basis of lots of rumours, those rumours can be ignored now, as they aren't up-to-date." What I said: "This is the source (for rumors), an early Draft of the reasoning for Xbox 720. As I said this is early feature list not how it would be accomplished, much of this feature list should be supported by PS4:

For those that think Microsoft would not use the term Xbox 720: A scene from Real Steel also from BY3D where Microsoft paid to have Xbox720 in the scene:

12-Xbox-720-logo.jpg

CLEEK

For those that think Microsoft would not use the term Xbox 720: A scene from Real Steel also from BY3D where Microsoft paid to have Xbox720 in the scene:

12-Xbox-720-logo.jpg

One of the visual effects dudes from the film posted on Reddit a while back, and said he put in the 720 logo for a joke. It had nothing to do with MS.

Why are people saying that it looks weak? Looks pretty powerful to me:

Dedicated to games:
6-8 core CPU @ 2GHz
GPU @ 1GHz w/ 64 ALU

Dedicated to background services:
dual core processor @ 2GHz
dedicated GPU @ 500MHz w/ 48 ALU

4GB of DDR4 RAM
">32" MB of EDRAM

Not to mention apparently full backwards compatibility with 360 games with a separate tri-core PPC CPU @ 3.2 GHz

All this for apparently $299? Looks good to go to me...

They're aiming for something 8 times more powerful than the 360 and that is just in bare specs. It probably will be even more powerful since it wasn't the processor or the GPU that really created performance problems, but the RAM in both the 360 and PS3. The GPU will probably help in upping texture resolutions and bringing in DX 11 APIs into games but as far as bottlenecks are concerned, RAM shouldn't be one, as it was this generation.

We shouldn't compare this with PCs but with current gen consoles and having better processors and nearly 10x more RAM is really all that is needed. Especially since Microsoft seems to be thinking of cloud gaming, which probably will be a reality near the "end" of next gen as more ISPs upgrade their infrastructure.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
One of the visual effects dudes from the film posted on Reddit a while back, and said he put in the 720 logo for a joke. It had nothing to do with MS.

Nonsense. No Hollywood studio would allow free advertising like that. Every single brand name you see in a movie is paid for, especially when it had to be created specifically as CGI.

Why are people saying that it looks weak? Looks pretty powerful to me:

Dedicated to games:
6-8 core CPU @ 2GHz
GPU @ 1GHz w/ 64 ALU

Dedicated to background services:
dual core processor @ 2GHz
dedicated GPU @ 500MHz w/ 48 ALU

4GB of DDR4 RAM
">32" MB of EDRAM

Not to mention apparently full backwards compatibility with 360 games with a separate tri-core PPC CPU @ 3.2 GHz

All this for apparently $299? Looks good to go to me...

They're aiming for something 8 times more powerful than the 360 and that is just in bare specs. It probably will be even more powerful since it wasn't the processor or the GPU that really created performance problems, but the RAM in both the 360 and PS3. The GPU will probably help in upping texture resolutions and bringing in DX 11 APIs into games but as far as bottlenecks are concerned, RAM shouldn't be one, as it was this generation.

We shouldn't compare this with PCs but with current gen consoles and having better processors and nearly 10x more RAM is really all that is needed. Especially since Microsoft seems to be thinking of cloud gaming, which probably will be a reality near the "end" of next gen as more ISPs upgrade their infrastructure.
There is no need for a second GPU for background processes nor a smaller GPU for Media as modern AMD GPUs can turn off parts of the GPU that are not being used. 2 GHz was used in the slide as a way to explain the More cores at lower clock frequency is more efficient not that the final design would run at 2 Ghz, and I could go on. This is a Power Point presentation to non-technical people that explained how they could produce a SOC @ 50 w for the price mentioned. Imagine that a lecturer would be explaining these things as the slide is displayed. Example: Jaguar CPUs (8 of them) run at 2.8Ghz and have a turbo mode at 3.2. Depending on heat buildup AMD designs also allow for a automatic lower clock speed.

Microsoft did not at that time know about AMD HSA and the efficiencies over coherent cache, 28nm, greater than 32 meg eDRAM and SOC that AMD could bring to the table. Target now is probably 10X or greater and costs less than $100 higher.

"The important thing is I think, as the basis of lots of rumours, those rumours can be ignored now, as they aren't up-to-date."

And please understand I am not trying to shoot anybody down, your's is probably a common view, I'm just pointing out information that you might not know and that impacts the big picture.

So it wasn't fake, but very old info? Cool, now was there any mention of BC? Like proper BC and not something half assed like the OG BC for 360 or the P2 BC on the triple.

Will I be able to play all my 360 games, both disc and digital? Still be able to download patches, etc?

This is vitally important for me, I refuse to buy into another generation where I lose access to a very large percentage of my games unless I hook up yet another device to my TV.

They should release software so i can convert my 360 or 361 for multiplayer dedicated server. Hell i would buy a 10/month license i think a 360 didn't that fps where you jumped into the bf3 Section 8 or something did that. You could host 32 player server.

lefantome

Xbox 361, this is why one developer said , in the IGN survey, that he feared that xbox 360 itself can cannibalize the market...

Oh how I wish all who cried fake would hang their heads in shame and, next time a supposed leak occurs, shut up and wait until it can be proved or disproved.

But then I remember this is NeoGAF.
Same thing occurred on BY3D and is a justified part of vetting information. Even KageMaru and the Bishop had a legitimate point.

lol @ all the posters who said "bu bu but this isn't how a company would do it, it wouldn't look like this"

Anyways, the supposed specs are about what I was expecting, glad to see 4GB of memory, wonder how much of it will be available for games.

Rigby has no clue what he's talking about. He misunderstands basic things. This has been going on for over a year.

I see you keep trying to call him out but he has found some very valuable info. He does seem to know his shit even if some of his theories leave you scratching your head. Maybe you should try to actually contribute instead of just pointing and laughing?

lol @ all the posters who said "bu bu but this isn't how a company would do it, it wouldn't look like this"

Anyways, the supposed specs are about what I was expecting, glad to see 4GB of memory, wonder how much of it will be available for games.

all of it minus the of. But knowing microsoft that foot print will be small taken this gen os footprints.
I say 3.8 GB for developers not sure why i took 200mb for the os i think 80~100 mb should be enough.

It's supposedly been upgraded to 8GB anyway. Remember this is old.

Just had a fun though, X360 GPU for "background services", wonder if that can be used SLI style with the main GPU for games (guessing so)

Hey it's not much, but it can help. Add another 250 gflops of processing power.

Pistolero

The data is old, and I doubt the 720 specs will resemble what was hinted at here once the console comes out. The document should not be considered as a source for extrapolating hardware power , but rather for discussing general orientations and strategy...

all of it minus the of. But knowing microsoft that foot print will be small taken this gen os footprints.
I say 3.8 GB for developers not sure why i took 200mb for the os i think 80~100 mb should be enough.

The current OS usage with the 360 is what, 32mb or something? But yeah, I was going to say about 256mb for the OS for Xbox 3. I was just thinking last night when I was on the dashboard, I would be happy just keeping the dashboard like it is, plus a few additions of course.

The data is old, and I doubt the 720 specs will resemble what was hinted at here once the console comes out. The document should not be considered as a source for extrapolating hardware power , but rather for discussing general orientations and strategy...

It may be old, but I would say it's probably going to be pretty close to this.

Just had a fun though, X360 GPU for "background services", wonder if that can be used SLI style with the main GPU for games (guessing so)

I highly, highly doubt this.

Google TV is first generation XTV. The ability to open a window while watching TV and access the internet. This requires in an external box like a game console to have a HDMI-pass-thru and window overlay ability. The ability to (without having to turn on and wait for boot) access Netflix or TV guide or have comments or advertising overlay a movie. To open a window in your TV to see a security camera feed of the front door or to video chat in one window while another window has a video of the baby's room. This is X-tended TV and the idea of the Xbox project 10. 10 in roman numerals is a X see pic which is supposed to come this year Xbox361=Xbox10:

nextxbox.jpg

The current codename for the next Xbox is “Project Ten” It will be coming in time for next year’s holiday season (2012). The UI will be heavily based around Microsoft’s “Metro” style of user interface (the current interface for Windows Phone 7, and the style both the Xbox 360 and Windows 8 are moving to). The console’s OS will have Microsoft’s Silverlight technology deeply embedded in it (potentially for uses such as media functionality) Microsoft will be going the “Apple route” with Project Ten, meaning the console will extensively integrate with Windows 8 and Windows Phone for better cross-platform functionality

This is probably the Digicom rumor with 20 million expected to be sold the first year and something like Kinect built in. It's also possible that those 20 million could be split between Xbox and PS3 sales with the Motherboard and SOC, all but the branding on the case, being exactly the same=> microsoft-sony.com

theBishop

Banned
I see you keep trying to call him out but he has found
some very valuable info. He does seem to know his shit even if some of his theories leave you scratching your head. Maybe you should try to actually contribute instead of just pointing and laughing?

He doesn't know his shit. You can read what he says and easily see it. There's nothing to do but point and laugh because the posts are enormous and fact-free. Its not helpful to go line-by-line when he gets obvious things wrong.

Mario007

He doesn't know his shit. You can read what he says and easily see it. There's nothing to do but point and laugh because the posts are enormous and fact-free. Its not helpful to go line-by-line when he gets obvious things wrong.

Except he predicted how the PS3 browser was gonna get upgraded (not that it was gonna get upgraded but also exactly how it was gonna get upgraded) and also brought our attention to MS document that we didn't know about at all (also he maintained it was real when everyone else was saying fake). His assumptions and the facts he uses to support them are all sound and reasonable based on the evidence that he uncovered.

Xbox 361, this is why one developer said , in the IGN survey, that he feared that xbox 360 itself can cannibalize the market...
Very possible but only if Sony does not release a PS3.5 similar to the Xbox361-Xbox10.

I've been putting off getting a second PS3 waiting on this. I'm just amazed that it's taking this long. We have been getting 2 year old facts as rumors and 1.5 year too early rumors and that's very confusing <sigh>.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

I was thinking the same. Well, it depends on what these "background services" are. I know that in the Windows 8 release preview, developers could set conditions for background tasks, for example there are some things you can do regarding Metro connectivity. Here it says services, I don't know if there is any greater difference.

For developers to be able to control and modify resource management policies for background tasks would be neat, especially if used for what you suggest, specialguy. Hopefully there's no huge locked process that can't be touched.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Did he kill your fucking dog or something?

Most of the things he posts are theories which are mostly "fact-free" by default. I will say he has unearthed alot more relevant info than the majority of the posters here combined, whether they pan out or not.

Like I said, you were so quick to call him out earlier in the thread and know that it looks like this could be legit, you have relegated to just telling other people he doesn't know anything while not actually contributing anything yourself. You are coming off like an invidious teenager.

Same thing occurred on BY3D and is a justified part of vetting information. Even KageMaru and the Bishop had a legitimate point.

How is pages and pages of "lol so fake" vetting information? To vet means to examine carefully. No one examined this carefully; their knee-jerk reactions were later proven to be false. I think its indicative of the level of cynicism in this community when you have more people skipping past skepticism towards outright rejection of rumors before they have a chance to even develop further. What was so obviously implausible in this case turned out to be completely legitimate, if outdated, information.

I believe the concept is the legacy/low power GPU would be used for rendering overlays that could be composited over anything else being displayed, whether its gameplay or live TV through an HDMI pass through. The presentation is pretty light on how this would actually be wired up, so its hard to say if the sub GPU can even interact with the main processor. The way I imagine it they are nearly completely independent.

TheOddOne

Except he predicted how the PS3 browser was gonna get upgraded (not that it was gonna get upgraded but also exactly how it was gonna get upgraded) and also brought our attention to MS document that we didn't know about at all (also he maintained it was real when everyone else was saying fake). His assumptions and the facts he uses to support them are all sound and reasonable based on the evidence that he uncovered.
You can be precise and effective by actually making your point short and concise. Posting huge walls of text is meaningless, because much of the lingo used in those documents are barely understandable to common folk. Strip down much of his walls of text, there is maybe one or two small tidbits that are discussion worthy. It’s admirable that he tried to ignite discussion, but much of it sounds like throwing something at the wall and seeing if it sticks.

Some stuff that he brings to the table doesn’t seem that impressive, the much taunted browser upgrade isn’t really a note worthy in my opinion – companies often and plan to upgrade their services. I can tell you that there will be some upgrades to PSN store or even XBL in the near future, everybody can agree that to some extent it will happen.

It's a shame the thread where you got your tag isn't linked by your tag so people can evaluate your level of knowledge on obvious things.

Mario007

You can be precise and effective by actually making your point short and concise. Posting huge walls of text is meaningless, because much of the lingo used in those documents are barely understandable to common folk. Strip down much of his walls of text, there is maybe one or two small tidbits that are discussion worthy. It’s admirable that he tried to ignite discussion, but much of it sounds like throwing something at the wall and seeing if it sticks.

Some stuff that he brings to the table doesn’t seem that impressive, the much taunted browser upgrade isn’t really a note worthy in my opinion – companies often and plan to upgrade their services. I can tell you that there will be some upgrades to PSN store or even XBL in the near future, everybody can agree that to some extent it will happen.

Did you even read what I've written? I didn't hail the fact he predicted that PS3' browser was getting an upgrade. Instead i said he predicted how Ps3's upgrade would work. That's what was impressive about it.

Also any discussion relating to next-gen consoles is gonna be technical be it from the hardware of software perspective. So you can't just come in to a thread like this and claim someone is not making sense because you don't understand the terminology (the 'you' in this paragraph does not refer to you personally but to people coming reading the thread and posting here).

Well just because common people may or may not understand doesn't take away from the info he's providing. If its too fast for you, you should actually time to learn a little bit about what he's talking about whether than try to dismiss it as nothing worth discussing. Hell most everything in his posts are basic computer engineering processes and factoids along with statements from companies regarding roadmaps and such. Its makes for very commendable educated guesses compared to alot of the things posted here.

And about the browser thing, thats a hell of a diminishment. You predicting PSN upgrades is not the same thing as a guy predicting major component upgrades/overhauls down to APIs used.

Again try to discuss, learn, or contribute something instead of standing in the corner sucking your teeth.

TheOddOne

Did you even read what I've written? I didn't hail the fact he predicted that PS3' browser was getting an upgrade. Instead i said he predicted how Ps3's upgrade would work. That's what was impressive about it.

Also any discussion relating to next-gen consoles is gonna be technical be it from the hardware of software perspective. So you can't just come in to a thread like this and claim someone is not making sense because you don't understand the terminology (the 'you' in this paragraph does not refer to you personally but to people coming reading the thread and posting here).
My point is that this all can be condensed, even with all the technical limbo. Same effect, the point comes across faster and debating goes easier &#8211; much of the people here, with minimal knowledge, who visit this thread find it interesting but often have trouble grasping much of it. I think Jeff&#8217;s intentions are to ignite discussion, which is great and not saying is a bad thing, but the way he does it feels ineffective.

Linking to those documents are does not take away that the more tech savvy people won&#8217;t get to discuss.

Sorry if I offended anybody, apparently this is a touchy subject. Fine, I&#8217;ll shut up.

LQX

Hey guys.

Tom Warren here (Senior Editor at The Verge). I posted this story at The Verge yesterday. I just wanted to clear up a few things and address some points I've seen posted elsewhere etc. The Xbox 720 leak was covered by The Verge at The Verge, not Polygon at The Verge. I know the temporary home can be confusing at times, but thought it was important to point that out.

As for how we check these types of stories. I have been reporting on Microsoft for around 12 years now. That's not to say I know everything about Microsoft and its processes, but I have a fairly good idea of what is and isn't an internal doc usually after the first few pages. This document in question is from August 2010, prior to iOS 4.2 (mentioned in the PPT notes) and when certain team members (mentioned in doc notes) were still at the company in engineering roles. The document references several employees by name and uses one of Microsoft's internal "CSG_Pres" PowerPoint templates (an early example of their Metro style PowerPoint templates that are used regularly internally now).

Couple this with the fact it aligns with other information I've seen about Nextbox over the past year, it aligned perfectly. The document also references Microsoft's SmartGlass technology (announced at E3). I went through a number of other ways to verify the information was as accurate as other stories we would report on - I'm not going to outline the exact processes because I like to keep those secret :)

We make every attempt to ensure this type of data is accurate. I ran a number of stories ahead of this year's E3, and they were all accurate:

Microsoft to bring full Internet Explorer browsing to Xbox 360 with Kinect controls
Exclusive: Kinect Play Fit to offer universal exercise tracking with 'Joule' heart rate monitor
Exclusive: $99 Xbox 360 + Kinect bundle launching next week with two-year subscription
Exclusive: Microsoft to preview 'Woodstock' Xbox music service at E3

Hopefully this clears up any questions over how we vet this type of information. I don't typically report on Xbox or gaming news (its not my core knowledge) but I do enjoy reading Neogaf threads from time to time. You guys have an amazing community here so keep it up :)

Thanks,
Tom

I caught that also and that's another reason I thought it was real yet some were saying it is old and fake.

How is pages and pages of "lol so fake" vetting information? To vet means to examine carefully. No one examined this carefully; their knee-jerk reactions were later proven to be false. I think its indicative of the level of cynicism in this community when you have more people skipping past skepticism towards outright rejection of rumors before they have a chance to even develop further. What was so obviously implausible in this case turned out to be completely legitimate, if outdated, information.
I'd only disagree with the bolded statement (change to: many didn't examine this carefully) and add that BY3D had fewer outright dismissals.

USC-fan

Banned
If this was leaked for feed back.

Ms needs to target a $399-$499 launch price and upgrade the hardware. Need to target 10x x360.

My point is that this all can be condensed, even with all the technical limbo. Same effect, the point comes across faster and debating goes easier &#8211; much of the people here, with minimal knowledge, who visit this thread find it interesting but often have trouble grasping much of it. I think Jeff&#8217;s intentions are to ignite discussion, which is great and not saying is a bad thing, but the way he does it feels ineffective.

Linking to those documents are does not take away that the more tech savvy people won&#8217;t get to discuss.

Sorry if I offended anybody, apparently this is a touchy subject. Fine, I&#8217;ll shut up.
Actually this is a pretty valid post. I do have a problem getting my point across and use cites and quotes I find express the idea better than I can. So yes some posts could be worded better and posts could then be shorter rather than walls of text. The bolded parts of cites can be read rather than the whole cite. I do this to point out the statements that are important and reduce the load on the reader.

It's hard to keep readers up to speed because you don't know where they jump into a thread. There is also a vast difference in background knowledge.

If you do nothing else in following my posts than read the cites then you don't need to read my wordy posts.

Top Bottom