• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Leaker Kepler thinks the next Xbox is coming sooner than 2028

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I just wanted to get the next Xbox talk into one place and out of the PS5 Pro discussions but here are his thoughts on the next Xbox

hhgAEAw.png

YJR4fIh.png
frakoal.png

Plus this

vZS4enH.png

Wanted to add my comments here as well with the dates so people don't think I got this exact same info from him

F88L3Ex.png
o5cpfsn.png

Actual links to Tweets for those who want to read through them

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Mid-gen refresh? Three series sku's? Mighty demanding of MS if true..! What if they dump the series s..?

tmlDan

Too soon, if this is the all digital one people just wont buy it.

If xbox releases this it'll be DOA this soon, unless it has some differentiator that makes it stand out like the switch did after the WiiU

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
I have been thinking weay get a next gen xbox sooner than we think. It seems theres no sign of a series x pro, which to me seems mad if Sony are coming with the pro. So im thinking its going to be like apple with there iphones, Microsoft will come each 4-5 yrs with a new series console. It wont be a big next gen update but enough for the hardcore to jump in right away, push the currect top tier console down to the budget entry (SX) and stop support from the current budget (SS).

graywolf323

I think the mid gen fresh has been canceled
so will it be like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X but instead Xbox will be launching a ’next-gen’ system a year later? 🤔
Rather they salvage this gen first.
I mean at this point they‘re doing the exact same thing they did with the OG Xbox which is giving up & hoping people won’t hold it against them

the difference being the 360 had a much better team behind it including knowing they needed to have great games, I have zero faith in the current Xbox leadership that would make me want to get the next-gen Xbox at launch after how badly they fucked up the Series launch

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I’d expect Ps6 in 2028, so a NextBox in 2027 doesn’t sound very unlikely.

If this implies a next-gen 2025/early 2026 launch for MS I’d be surprised though.

K2D

Banned
I think the mid gen fresh has been canceled

Basically what I'm describing with dumping the series s.. or if they're not even bringing along the series X with backwards compatibility.. *ompf*

Edit: Just.. Bring the TES engine into the 21th century..!

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

so will it be like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X but instead Xbox will be launching a ’next-gen’ system a year later? 🤔

I mean at this point they‘re doing the exact same thing they did with the OG Xbox which is giving up & hoping people won’t hold it against them

the difference being the 360 had a much better team behind it including knowing they needed to have great games, I have zero faith in the current Xbox leadership that would make me want to get the next-gen Xbox at launch after how badly they fucked up the Series launch
Will be the first Xbox I skip.

Quantum253

Could be how Nintendo launched the Switch. If Msoft can get a decent setup at a price that provides 15-25% boost in performance and keep it realistically priced, they could jump ahead as a next gen system, phase out the S, and make the X the lower model. Or have the three skus and allow people to choose performance/price point they want.
I could see that instead of a Pro console

Late 2026 sounds about right + a few years of cross-gen before PS6 launches in 2027/2028.

The most important question is when will they drop support for XSS–at launch or a few years after?

chilichote

That basically depends on whether a smaller node than the PS5 Pro will be ready for mass production by then. If not, the next Xbox at similar die size won't have (significantly) more transistors than the PS5 Pro.

skit_data

Don't know how good idea this is, further fractioning of the console user base. I don't think it's wise from either the consumer or the development perspective.

But, looking at the steep decline in console sales I guess it's now or never.

Last edited:

damidu

yawwn, not gonna happen, unless they want to leave console biz with a total implosion.
why are tweets from 3 months ago hot topic now btw,
no updates since?

Del_X

I believe it. I think ML stuff can get a sufficiently "next gen" experience in 2026 assuming we don't move beyond ~1440p internal resolutions.

They did it with 360 and it ended up going well, I think that would be the better choice for Xbox right now, and for gamers too, release a next gen console, and back it up with new games/ip

This is the problem when people are only results-oriented, not enough time or care is looked into the process.

The 360 didn't just come out a year early, it was cheaper than the PS3 and significantly easier to develop for. PS3 really stumbled out of the gate. The Saturn also came out before the N64. How did that play out?

How much more powerful will the NextBox (2025-2027) be than the PS5 Pro (2024)? That it won't be significantly more expensive and give away every technical advantage it could have in the process.

The Dreamcast ALSO came out before the PS2. It actually had 1.5 years on the PS2 in Japan.

All the games that would come out for the NB would be cross gen titles for 3rd party support and if Elder's Scrolls 6 was NB exclusive, XBS supporters would riot. Not to mention Elder's Scrolls is still going to be bigger on PC than console, and if it is on GamePass Day 1, people will get it on PC there. Not buy a rushed to market console after the failure of the XBS.

Just like "it's the economy, stupid", "it's the games, stupid."

If Microsoft doesn't realize that still, they're going to cede the power discussion AND waste a year. It seems like they're determined to run the Sega playbook here.

Once actually news leaks about Xbox abandoning XBS and if they're going to have any support developers are going to need to know, XBS will crater even harder. When everyone and their mother has bought a PS5/PS5 Pro for the next 3+ years, how many people are going to jump to NB in one year?

Quantum253

Can someone make it make sense for me?

We keep on getting told by the X Bots (including officials) that Microsoft doesn't care about console sales and that they're doing better than ever.

So why would they pull a Wii U => Switch?
Saywhat_countess.gif
Maybe GamePass and monthly subs are staring to become more important then hardware?

Darsxx82

I don't know what we're supposed to see there or if those Tweets mean anything more than speculation, about a dataminer that contradicts the leaked roadmap...
Not to say that these twieets are from September and in response to that leaked roadmap, nor that this Kepler is a reliable basis for anything.

It is very simple if, at the time of the launch of PS5PRO, MS does not make any announcement about an Xbox Series Pro or no reliable leak confirms it (as happened with XBO X )roadmap is what is going to happen.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
If Sony release a PSpro in 2024 and MS release a "next gen" console in 25, it won't make enough difference as the brand is already declining.
If MS release "next gen" in 26 then Sony will release PS6 in 27, same problem. I don't see the point. MS need to release consistent polished good games for years, not a new hardware.

Thedtrain

Seems like a poor choice, doesn’t it? They’ll get 1-2 years of solid sales and PR from being “the most powerful console ever!” then it’ll wither and die when ps6 is released. So what will they do for 3-4 years after that?

Not doubting this at all, btw, but think a change in leadership would be more beneficial than this strategy

They should have done a 2024 refresh. 2026 is too soon. It will take until 2028 for 2nm to be fully viable and sufficient enhancements to RTRT to make a true leap that is generation-worthy. Launching in 2026 would mean they would be running on 3nm vs 4nm PS5 Pro. They’ll get the same games running at higher FPS, while allowing Sony to try a true paradigm shift in rendering in 2028.

Raonak

Banned
It kinda makes sense for xbox to do the nintendo thing and zag away from the competetion.
Stop directly competing with PS by not releasing at the same time.

But releasing too soon is gonna kill any remaining consumer loyalty imo.
I can't imagine any xbox series owner is gonna be happy with the news.

But maybe it's their only course of action.

Last edited:
Top Bottom