• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Leaker Kepler thinks the next Xbox is coming sooner than 2028

dem

Is there such a thing anymore? These are all just PCs. It's never going to be such a leap or massive change in technology. Start treating these things like iphone generations.

I agree...
Generations are dead.

Whats PS 6 gonna be?
A higher powered box that plays the same games as PS5...

There is no more reinventing going on.

Last edited:
Is there such a thing anymore? These are all just PCs. It's never going to be such a leap or massive change in technology. Start treating these things like iphone generations.
Well going by last time the CPU will stay the same and the GPU and memory will see an upgrade in the Pro model. Obviously a next-gen system would be a significant improvement across the board and would if true give Xbox a big technical advantage presumably for years if the 2025/26 date is true.

Stuart360

I said many times that i thought they would try and get out 1-2 years before Sony with the PS6. I also feel the reason why all their studios still are not producing regular releases is because some of those games have been pushed to be launch games on the new console. So they have a healthy selection of games at launch.
I didnt expect a handheld though.
I feel this will be their last throw of the dice in terms of hardware. If they dont hit their targets next gen, they will just move full third party the gen after, or go full subscription service, which has already been the end goal anyway in terms of long term.

saintjules

I agree...
Generations are dead.

Whats PS 6 gonna be?

The next Playstation Console has to push the visual fidelity mark. I want to see gameplay graphics looking borderline CGI, with little to no issues in performance.

That's the only thing I can think of that can really push the boundaries of gaming in the next generation for me.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
So we are at a new console around 2026 for the home and a switch like dockable console for the casuals? I don't get the OEM rumor, wich one of the two will it be? Weird how they always are one step too late. I am curious of why they are using another team for the handheld, unless it will have Windows somehow. If steam is available on it, I will have to look at it at some point. As for the traditional one, I can't see it work unless they find the way to have a killer launch with many games on it. I understand that GTA 6 will be a good game but if the console is out after GTA launch few people will buy another console for it. And the PS5 Pro and the Switch 2 will probably be there first, and use the time to sell hopefully well. Next week will be fascinating.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I agree...
Generations are dead.

Whats PS 6 gonna be?

Lots of people thought the Xbox Series S was a mistake, because its low specs was going to limit what games on the Series X were potentially capable of. That's only going to get worse when both Sony and MS intend to release PS 5/Xbox Next compatible handhelds. It'll be the end of generational leaps in image quality, everything will be cross-gen from that point on.

Darsxx82

Total nextgen console
If launching a new console in 2026 was the decision they have made.... What comes to mind would be an XSS 2-3 years ahead of an XSX instead of being launched at the same time as in this generation. In fact, if XSS had been released in 2018, it might have been better received 🤔.
Or simply that they have decided the iPhone strategy with periodic hardware updates to play the same games while it is the software that decides the support.

Be it one or the other, it is clear that it would be a way out compared to competing against the hype of a new PS the same year, which is clearly something that has never gone well.

I don't know, maybe next week there will be more light on the future of XBOX hardware.

I said many times that i thought they would try and get out 1-2 years before Sony with the PS6. I also feel the reason why all their studios still are not producing regular releases is because some of those games have been pushed to be launch games on the new console. So they have a healthy selection of games at launch.
I didnt expect a handheld though.
I feel this will be their last throw of the dice in terms of hardware. If they dont hit their targets next gen, they will just move full third party the gen after, or go full subscription service, which has already been the end goal anyway in terms of long term.
Well we all know how fast they produced the 360 (and what a console that was) given the original Xbox release date. We also don't know how they'll be handling exclusive titles either this time around given the current rumours but they're obviously remaining in the hardware space for the foreseeable future, and that didn't seem likely when the shit hit the fan.

DaGwaphics

Rumors here, rumors there, rumors everywhere. Hopefully Phil can offer at least some clarity on the state of all things Xbox. Can't expect them give up their entire roadmap though, regardless of whichever way the wind is blowing.

Negotiator101 Negotiator101 , agreed about the time to completion. These are basically PCs now, if they want to speed run something I'm sure they could.

Last edited:
Its not going to be Zen 2 supposed to be Zen 5
That's a pretty massive jump in power from what I'm reading. Gonna be expensive. I wonder what they go with for the portable/Switch style console, though. Can't really go with a stripped down version like the Series S currently works.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That's a pretty massive jump in power from what I'm reading. Gonna be expensive. I wonder what they go with for the portable/Switch style console, though. Can't really go with a stripped down version like the Series S currently works.
Highly possible its more expensive than usual and yeah supposedly is a big power bump

Del_X

They might be able to pull it off. If it's targeting 720p vs 1080p-1440p that gives quite a lot of headroom on the graphics side. CPU being the same should help. Other things like targeting 30fps would also alleviate a lot of demand for fast RAM. Another thing would be just giving up on parity between the two systems. No co-op on the handheld? No biggie. Shit-ass draw distances and sparse NPC density? Who cares.

Highly possible its more expensive than usual and yeah supposedly is a big power bump
I bet the portable/hybrid won't be cheap as well. I wonder if we see a $399/$699 pricing or something like that. For real, though, what could they possibly do with the hybrid to not be massively different than the big daddy? Mobile versions of these architectures usually don't come out for a bit later after these big revamps.

Starcheif

I bet the portable/hybrid won't be cheap as well. I wonder if we see a $399/$699 pricing or something like that. For real, though, what could they possibly do with the hybrid to not be massively different than the big daddy? Mobile versions of these architectures usually don't come out for a bit later after these big revamps.
They could sale the portable using Verizon or some cellular company since it will need Cellular date for streaming and just bundle it like they would a cell phone etc.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
The Xbox handheld should just be a controller. All the hardware is in the controller and all you need to do is pair it with a screen. I can pair it with my phone screen, Any TV screen heck I can even pair it with the screen in my Tesla.

Best part. Runs on AA batteries.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I hope, if they do a handheld that they open up the os to manufacturers like Asus so I can buy my rog ally v2 that is a portable xbox. That would be huge.

midnightAI

I hope, if they do a handheld that they open up the os to manufacturers like Asus so I can buy my rog ally v2 that is a portable xbox. That would be huge.
Why do they need to do that when portable gaming PC's already run windows and so PC gamepass? I suppose MS could add a 'game boot' mode to Windows to boot right into an Xbox like dashboard to improve navigation but why restrict these handhelds? Part of the appeal is you can dock them and use as full PC's

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Why do they need to do that when portable gaming PC's already run windows and so PC gamepass? I suppose MS could add a 'game boot' mode to Windows to boot right into an Xbox like dashboard to improve navigation but why restrict these handhelds? Part of the appeal is you can dick them and use as full PC's

I completely agree, and I did think of that. So yeah, MS needs to make PC xbox run everything the console does. That's the dream for the long term, in the short term they could have a xbox version, or partition that loads into the xbox abk to allow all console software to run on the device.

midnightAI

I completely agree, and I did think of that. So yeah, MS needs to make PC xbox run everything the console does. That's the dream for the long term, in the short term they could have a xbox version, or partition that loads into the xbox abk to allow all console software to run on the device.
That would require console software to have masses of settings for different hardware taking away the benefit of consoles which is standardised hardware, or are you talking about having standardised hardware but made by different OEM's, like the 3DO?

Top Bottom