• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Leaker Kepler thinks the next Xbox is coming sooner than 2028

Fredrik

I think they go with an S console that's close to ps5 Pro in gpu performance and then a higher end option that's truly a leap ok gpu.

I actually welcome everyone launching in their own time frames and have their first party games that incentivise sales of that platform. If enthusiasts go ahead and buy a hard-core pc. I more than welcome that but there's millions who don't want to and we know that.

I want Microsoft and Sony to treat their consoles like Nintendo and to release games like Nintendo do. That's my dream for each manufacturer.

Microsoft used to offer excellent games that you couldn't get on PlayStation. Playstation provide their games you couldn't get anywhere else.

Nintendo are just something else.

That's what I hope for anyway.

Then, just play third party where you want.
Series S was a failure, it didn’t work, only made things complicated for devs. I doubt they’ll do that again.

They need to have one single powerful new console, needs to be ready to hype up before PS5 Pro is out. Needs to seem ”next gen” in the unveil trailer. And they need to have big important games ready at launch. And full backwards compatibility. Just end the generation really. Xbox 360 was out 4 years after Xbox. Xbox Series gen will be 4 years in 2024.

But they need exclusives. Drop the when everybody plays we all win slogan. Erase all doubt that their games can’t be exclusive to their ecosystem which is now PC+Xbox and eventually mobile. Their ecosystem is not tiny it’s just the Xbox bubble.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Is it though? I think it can be relevant for some core gamers but not casuals. For them PS5 will be a better place to play. GTA Online players will prefer console where their buddies are. And then their is one other thing - console bundle. If the PS5 will have it (I think RDR2 was bundled with PS4 Pro) then I think that people will take this even over next gen console.

I think that next Xbox by itself wont convince GTAVI buyers. Maybe if MS will make a deal with Rockstar for marketing but will they?
Right.

RDR 2, it looked the best on the One X. Sony still had marketing for it and it still sold the most on PS4.

MS can jump start their gen for GTA VI all they want, but they need to do other stuff to get that game to sell the most on Xbox or sell more consoles than PlayStation.

Fredrik

I am not sure how spending billions designing and selling the Xbox makes any sense then. Sure a niche Surface X like console maybe, but your scenario is them giving up on traditional consoles.
Traditional consoles will go away anyway, it’ll be about launchers in the future, but until then they need to have a cheapish living room box for their games.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Series S was a failure, it didn’t work, only made things complicated for devs. I doubt they’ll do that again.

They need to have one single powerful new console, needs to be ready to hype up before PS5 Pro is out. Needs to seem ”next gen” in the unveil trailer. And they need to have big important games ready at launch. And full backwards compatibility. Just end the generation really. Xbox 360 was out 4 years after Xbox. Xbox Series gen will be 4 years in 2024.

But they need exclusives. Drop the when everybody plays we all win slogan. Erase all doubt that their games can’t be exclusive to their ecosystem which is now PC+Xbox and eventually mobile. Their ecosystem is not tiny it’s just the Xbox bubble.
Sadly I am afraid it’s their new approach and we will see another Series S like console with next gen

Bernoulli

M2 slut

75% of Xbox sold are S, they can't drop the majority of their userbase

Darsxx82

75% of Xbox sold are S, they can't drop the majority of their userbase
I don't know how many times the same lie is repeated.... As if it had not already been clarified many times.

XSS are not 75% of XSeries sold. That was the data for a single Q in which XSX had no stock. It was something already clarified by Matt (Circana/NPD) according to which the situation is 50:50 or even XSX above. In fact, in 2023, XSX has sold more than XSS.

That said, 50% are still too many users for MS to see it appropriate to end support and stop making games for XSS immediately upon the launch of new hardware. In a situation where XBO has continued to receive first party games 2+ years after XSeries was launched...There is no reason to kill off a significant number of Gamepass subscribers until you compensate them with users of the new hardware.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
That said, 50% are still too many users for MS to see it appropriate to end support and stop making games for XSS immediately upon the launch of new hardware. In a situation where XBO has continued to receive first party games 2+ years after XSeries was launched...There is no reason to kill off a significant number of Gamepass subscribers until you compensate them with users of the new hahardware.

And we go back to square one, if all games for next gen xbox are released in 2025 for current gen too what's the point of upgrading? If they are not released the consumers will complain about the short support
I don't see a winning scenario unless it's just a pro console

Thirty7ven

Banned
How about making better hardware AND better games?

This generation is a failure. Pulling the plug and starting over surprisingly early is the only way to get back some lost marketshare.

2024 would be optimal.
2025 would also be good, hype it up when people consider PS5 Pro.
2026 would be too late, means they have to compete with PS6 rumours.
2027 would mean another failure, competing with PS6 hype, Xbox 1.5 etc.
2028 would be a repeat of this gen but worse since it would mean 4 years of Xbox is dead talk.

And push PC gaming more, that’s where all their games will always be the best and have the bigger userbase. No bad ports, get save syncing working on Steam and Xbox, get everything Steam Deck verified, get the Xbox emulation team to do a virtual hardware emulator of all Xboxes. PC is Xbox now, show it.

PC is not Xbox because PC is Steam. MS didn’t see Steam coming, talk about a lack of vision, it’s your operating system fucking hell. So while they were trying to bed everyone else’s wife they got cucked at home. They are are basically a third party on their own OS. You think MS giving first party status to Steam is going to do anything for Xbox? From that point on just release everything on other consoles, what’s the point?

And imagine if Sony was like you know what? Fuck it, PS3 losing us money, let’s jump on PS4 and cut the generation short. We wouldn’t have the brilliant second half of the PS3 that convinced so many people to go PS4.

Xbox and their fans continue to look for the path of least resistance to market domination and what keeps happening? The market says no.

Darsxx82

And we go back to square one, if all games for next gen xbox are released in 2025 for current gen too what's the point of upgrading? If they are not released the consumers will complain about the short support
The thing is that I assume that a new generation in 2025 does not make sense. Let's understand a new generation as one that completely breaks with current hardware and launches its own games.

It has not happened in this generation where even today we have crossgen games, much less is it going to happen with new hardware in 2025.

I agree with you, I don't see any benefit in trying something like that. Mainly because you can't do without a base of users of your games and GPass subscribers at once.

In the hypothetical case that MS decided to launch new hardware in 2025-26, it would either be an XSeriesPro or move to Apple's hardware strategy where there are no generations but periodic updates and the software is what dictates support. The latter would not surprise me because it would never imply a total rupture.

Personally, I think that MS's best option would be the launch of an XSeries PRO along with the new controller and a revision of XSX and let the software/games from its 50+ Studios do their job creating positive mindshare with a view to a NextGen in 2028.

Stopping selling XSS when the new hardware Is launched would be an option, stopping supporting it is not. At least not right away.

Fredrik

Sadly I am afraid it’s their new approach and we will see another Series S like console with next gen
Then they deserve all the failure they’re getting right now.

They should’ve had a 1 SKU launch in 2020, Xbox Series 1, and BG3 would’ve been there without a delay, and then they should’ve launched and unveiled Xbox Series 2 at this year’s TGA with 100+ million people watching, then Xbox Series 3 in 2026 to sync up the release of GTA6, then Xbox Series 4 in 2029 with The Elder Scrolls VI as a launch title.

And add full settings menu from PC versions, with recommended settings for those who’re afraid of menus, cloud save sync between Xbox, Steam and Microsoft Store, backwards compatibility, legacy mode emulator for old consoles, Xbox launcher on mobile once the tech is good enough.
All the pieces are there for a success. But they just don’t lay them out correctly.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It'll be exactly the same as PS4 Pro, as PS5, as PS5 Pro where all games came out for the previous system as well.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Then they deserve all the failure they’re getting right now.

They should’ve had a 1 SKU launch in 2020, Xbox Series 1, and BG3 would’ve been there without a delay, and then they should’ve launched and unveiled Xbox Series 2 at this year’s TGA with 100+ million people watching, then Xbox Series 3 in 2026 to sync up the release of GTA6, then Xbox Series 4 in 2029 with The Elder Scrolls VI as a launch title.

And add full settings menu from PC versions, with recommended settings for those who’re afraid of menus, cloud save sync between Xbox, Steam and Microsoft Store, backwards compatibility, legacy mode emulator for old consoles, Xbox launcher on mobile once the tech is good enough.
All the pieces are there for a success. But they just don’t lay them out correctly.

It’s because the strategy you’re conjuring up in your mind wouldn’t work. It’s complicated, logistically complex, prohibitively expensive considering consoles are sold at a loss on launch, hard to market, and is an attempt at bending a whole market into a structure that doesn’t suit it. What’s next on the calling card? Get Samsung, LG etc to make their own versions of Xbox? These ideas have been thrown around since the PS3 days. It’s about the software, there’s only so much interest in the hardware itself.

And GTA6 is coming in 2025, not 2026.

Last edited:

Eotheod

PC is not Xbox because PC is Steam. MS didn’t see Steam coming, talk about a lack of vision, it’s your operating system fucking hell. So while they were trying to bed everyone else’s wife they got cucked at home. They are are basically a third party on their own OS. You think MS giving first party status to Steam is going to do anything for Xbox? From that point on just release everything on other consoles, what’s the point?

And imagine if Sony was like you know what? Fuck it, PS3 losing us money, let’s jump on PS4 and cut the generation short. We wouldn’t have the brilliant second half of the PS3 that convinced so many people to go PS4.

Xbox and their fans continue to look for the path of least resistance to market domination and what keeps happening? The market says no.
PC is most definitely not just Steam, to think that is ignorant of the very platform that Microsoft has curated to be open. That there are options is something that should be celebrated, because it means the consumer has actual choice and not locked behind shit choices from one company's choices.

Let's not play dumb here, Sony are not the darling angel they used to be either. Both companies have fucked up, and in my view Sony are worse for their shitheel decision to increases prices for the sake of it. Increasing your online mandated subscription price "just because" and offering bugger all to close that gap is pretty shit.

Thirty7ven

Banned
PC is most definitely not just Steam, to think that is ignorant of the very platform that Microsoft has curated to be open. That there are options is something that should be celebrated, because it means the consumer has actual choice and not locked behind shit choices from one company's choices.

Let's not play dumb here, Sony are not the darling angel they used to be either. Both companies have fucked up, and in my view Sony are worse for their shitheel decision to increases prices for the sake of it. Increasing your online mandated subscription price "just because" and offering bugger all to close that gap is pretty shit.

Steam is like over 90% of game sales on PC if not more.

MS didn’t curate shit, and if they could force you to buy games from their store they would. The only reason they don’t, and the only reason they haven’t bought Steam is because it would be illegal.

And what’s MS’s excuse for raising prices when they are dead last? Lemme guess, Sony forced them…

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Really no difference between an xbox pro and a next gen box as long as they continue series s and x game releases for the expected time. (7 years?) Xbox owner won't need to be "upset".

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Traditional consoles will go away anyway, it’ll be about launchers in the future, but until then they need to have a cheapish living room box for their games.

Says who? You think MS has any say about this? Yall have been saying this about consoles since 2012 by the way.

mckmas8808

Could very well be something like an Series S 2 around PS5 Pro power for $400 and a Seres X 2 for a very nice power bump for $600

It seems the dual power sku could very well happen again

But will games from MS in 2026 be cross-platform with the Xbox Series S then too? If so, that's 4 different consoles they'd need to support.

mckmas8808

Xbox is the girl that keeps getting injections hoping it fixes problems but can’t fix the problems that’s deeper roooted in her.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Calverz

If this releases in 2026 with rdna 5, and a zen 5 cpu, GTA6 gonna look amazing on it.

Bring back the blades though.

Fredrik

Says who? You think MS has any say about this? Yall have been saying this about consoles since 2012 by the way.
If you think you’ll run games natively on a plastic box under a TV forever then you haven’t payed attention. Everyone is already walking the path toward a less box-focused future. And MS isn’t ahead of anyone else on this. They just talk. Valve currently do the ecosystem better and Sony does streaming better and have PS Portal and Nvidia does streaming better than anyone.
Anyway, we’re not there yet. It’s a future thing.
Step 1 is the birth of proper ecosystems with brand specific launchers on console, PC, mobile.
Step 2 is the transition to cloud computation servers and client devices.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Think about it..
I think a lot about it tbh. MS is behind now. ”PS Now” and Geforce Now is ahead on streaming quality. And PS Portal is better than anything MS are doing as well. Why is everyone expecting MS to come up on top after that transition is completed? I’m thinking Valve is much closer to have the ultimate launcher ecosystem and there has been talk about Steam cloud streaming. And Sony just need to drop the delays and make a launcher.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
But will games from MS in 2026 be cross-platform with the Xbox Series S then too? If so, that's 4 different consoles they'd need to support.
They managed it when series X and S launched. Everything was cross Gen for years they still had Xbox One (and technically One S!) And One X getting games.

Arguably the faster SSD would make the new systems have more in common with Series S/X than S/X had with the Xbox one generation too.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

If you think you’ll run games natively on a plastic box under a TV forever then you haven’t payed attention. Everyone is already walking the path toward a less box-focused future. And MS isn’t ahead of anyone else on this. They just talk. Valve currently do the ecosystem better and Sony does streaming better and have PS Portal and Nvidia does streaming better than anyone.
Anyway, we’re not there yet. It’s a future thing.
Step 1 is the birth of proper ecosystems with brand specific launchers on console, PC, mobile.
Step 2 is the transition to cloud computation servers and client devices.

No one said forever. I'd say we are more than 20 years away from any of that happening. And that's too far away for me to care.

Fredrik

No one said forever. I'd say we are more than 20 years away from any of that happening. And that's too far away for me to care.
Yeah 20 years is far out in the future for me too, I’ll close in on my 70s by then. But I’m thinking we’ll see the transition happen earlier than that.

nick776

Yes and some people will get them super early to test ;)
That is good to hear, Xbox should have done that back in 2021 or 2022. I think a lot of people opt to buy a PS5 over a Series X just because of the controller features. I cannot think of any logical reason why Xbox has waited so long to release one.

That is good to hear, Xbox should have done that back in 2021 or 2022. I think a lot of people opt to buy a PS5 over a Series X just because of the controller features. I cannot think of any logical reason why Xbox has waited so long to release one.

Maybe they wanted Sony to test them out first?

Other than that I have no clue why the upgrade was minimal with the Series controller.

I could imagine a powerful home console, with a heavy push for a bloat-free gaming version of windows designed for handheld gaming PCs.

I've also said this for years, but open up the ability to plug an external drive into the Xbox console, and allow a basic Windows desktop to run on the hardware. Have a bespoke version of Windows that allows people to justify buying an Xbox instead of a non-gaming PC for work, education, etc. Telling your parents on your way to college that 'Microsoft makes an inexpensive mini tower that you can do all your homework on' is an easier sell than 'please buy me a Vidya console'.

Then again I may just be too 2010-brained. I can run full-on Open Office on my phone, and I have a BT kb/m combo that I can mount my phone on. I had a fucking netbook with a mechanical hard drive that I did all my school work on, and my $500 phone from 3 years ago is far more powerful than that old POS.

kevm3

Does anyone even want a new XBox after this most recent iteration? What are they going to do about the exclusives problem?

I don't know about their future plans. I just want them to add backwards compatible titles from their acquisition's IP libraries.

DaGwaphics

Probably depends on how much heat they are taking from devs regarding it. Of course, on gaf even the slightest mole hill is turned into a mountain when it comes to criticism of XSS, but the input from devs behind closed doors would be super important.

If they are really taking a lot of heat for it, with the potential for them to lose developer support, they probably wouldn't do it again. However, if devs are overall fine with it outside the occasional criticism, I can't see why they wouldn't continue on with it. From a consumer perspective it's a great little machine. Even though I upgraded mine to XSX, I don't regret my initial purchase and had a lot of fun with it. So far it seems like everything runs on there well, outside of couch co-op.

Last edited:
An X|S model style of release doesn't mean the S model won't be a good release. Most of the issues with the current Series S seem to come with memory restraints from what I've seen, so if the hardware team can balance out things a bit better next time around, maybe we won't see the same issues crop up. Consumers I know who own a Series S really like the product, but the next S model needs to be a bit more friendly to developers next gen for sure.

Dural

The Series S is great, delusional fanboys are the only ones that don't like it. How many people are buying their kids the premium consoles? My boys wouldn't each have their own console in their room if the S wasn't available and I'm sure it's the same for many others.

So much BS in this thread, it's like a microcosm of why I barely come to the gaming side anymore. So many immature fanboys, likely children that can only get one console so have to shit on the other team at every chance they get. Consumers losing confidence when releasing a new console after 6 years? Are people insane? That's the average console gen.

Top Bottom