• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Leaker Kepler thinks the next Xbox is coming sooner than 2028

Darsxx82

shill-shill-alert.gif

You genuinely think I'm going to read your emoji spam and PR derived paragraphs attempting to justify underpowered and poorly thought out hardware? That ship has sailed my friend.

Best of luck on your endeavours.
Of course not, in fact was this type of response that we can expecte from the typical demagogue user who does not look at his own navel 👋👋

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
The only reason why 25 or 26 is believable is Series S versions of games around that time being so shit that MS can’t wait that long to move their userbase along.

Thirty7ven

Banned
But what if GTA is 60/120FPS on Xbox and only 30 on PS? That would be a weird situation

But what if the sun is made of melting cheese?

So in this universe where the sun is made of cheese, the next gen Xbox could be that much more powerful than the PS5 pro.

In the real world, there probably won’t even be a next gen version GTA for Xbox. But we will see, maybe MS employed Houdini and a wild next gen Xbox will appear in 2025 and it will have the same power profile as if it launched in 2028 because Xbox energy is just that strong.

Last edited:

Raven117

I mean....I can see this being true insofar as they have to do something to try and shake up the status quo. Right now, Sony and Nintendo are absolutely kicking their ass.

They beat Sony to the punch in the ps3 generation (along with a misstep by sony), so why not try and win the arms race?

Not sure if it matters too much though. Without exclusives to 100% take advantage it will just run some 3rd party games a little better.

If this comes right around the corner of GTAVI release, it could work.
That's early 2025 so zero chance of that. If they launch next gen early it's the tail end of 2026 at the earliest.

2 years lead on the market over PS6 could be beneficial, but to have something similar to the 360 era they'd have to be willing to lose a lot more than normal on each console to not be too underpowered against the inevitable PS6.

truth411

When it comes out in 2025, it will probably be on the same node as the PS5 Pro.
I'd doubt 2025, I think 2026 at the earliest. But even if it's 2025 then 3nm is still most likely. Sony is going to 4nm for PS5 Pro (which is really just 5nm refined) to save cost.
For a next gen xbox MS will go for what's best available.

That's early 2025 so zero chance of that. If they launch next gen early it's the tail end of 2026 at the earliest.

2 years lead on the market over PS6 could be beneficial, but to have something similar to the 360 era they'd have to be willing to lose a lot more than normal on each console to not be too underpowered against the inevitable PS6.
That sounds very optimistic.
I expect either late 2025 or 2026 for GTAV.
And late 2025 is the earliest the next Xbox could launch.

It probably won't happen, but it could happen.

Last edited:

NEbeast

The fact that you need to lie to support your typical demagoguery says it all😂

No one stopped releasing games on XBO due to lack of power. Games are still released on it. Nor has anyone stopped launching games in XSS due to lack of power. And only one case where a game mode was not released that on PS5 and XSX works at 900p and 30-20fps.😏

XBO was not a bad piece of hardware, it was simply less powerful than PS4 because its proposal included extra hardware that was later a failure. It's funny because you talk as if XBO were hardware that wasn't capable of running any PS4 game....🤔
XSS is anything but a bad piece of hardware. For its price, in fact, it is quite the opposite. You won't find hardware for that price with SSD, CPU, RT hardware. Another different thing is that it is not a product for you or it represents a headache for devs accustomed to a single power objective on console (because on PC they are used to that type of scalability).

It is not the case that games have been limited by the existence of XSS. You have the PC versions there. Quite the opposite when you are demanding more powerful hardware than the XSX and PS5 to get something closer to the actual PC games versions...

PS . I don't have XSS, it's not a product for me. And I am one of those who defends the launch of midgen consoles as well. That is one thing and another to believe that XSS is the evil and that every user of it is an MS lapdog trained to embrace anything MS does even to its detriment.

But hey, it's not like I expect continued demagoguery from some to end😉😏
Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

NEbeast

I could be wrong but I think GTA6 would move the needle console sales wise if one camp has a clear cut this is the best place to play advantage

Edit - And makes me slightly wonder if Xbox targeted 2025 because the very higher ups knew GTAs release timing
There is no way Sony let's this happen. GTA6 will be 60fps on the pro. Then the xbox next is even more redundant.

Pelta88

I'm a little sad Microsoft failed to sell me an Xbox even with me constantly looking for excuses to do so. If only Starfield was 60 fps... that's all it would have taken.

And the fact that even amongst its core supporters, you need to put in 20+ hours before the game gets good. 60Fps is all it takes? Frames. Not the actual ip?

7GEH.gif

Bernardougf

Gold Member
We're already there lads.

"wait for next gen™"
Lol kkkk

But talking seriously.. I think is the right move for them .... they can do their own thing and choose their time.. ride the "next gen only" wave for some time ... get some market momentum and get rid of the series s anchor that they would not be able to do with a "pro" console.

Dont know about 2025 but end of 2026 early 2027 is doable (maybe) , time to forget going head to head with sony and do something new, stop chasing the tail.

This console should launch with EXCLUSIVE games.. no cross gen, no PC (maybe some months/year later) ... if MS is not willing to do this then I really dont see the point of them trying to stay in the console market.

Last edited:
And the fact that even amongst its core supporters, you need to put in 20+ hours before the game gets good. 60Fps is all it takes? Frames. Not the actual ip?

7GEH.gif
I don't care for FPS on my switch, but if Im dropping dough on an expensive machine, there are minimums... I loved achieving 20 FPS on wii emulated games... In my mind I have had that standard since li 2006 and were still getting 30 FPS games in 2023... gave me a huge headache thinking about it.

I make my own opinions on games... no outside judgement would shape my opinion if it met minimum requirements... I only care about my judgement.... but yeah, my expectations are/were not that high.

Last edited:

Wiz

This gen still feels like it hasn't peaked yet. 2025/2026 would mean a reveal next year at the earliest. Way too soon.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Microsoft should really go with the single SKU route. There's no reason to split the crowd and they could really have a decent console if they did that..
Yup.

They made a big mistake trying to corner the high end and low end markets. Just focus on one spec sheet like PS5. If there needs to be disc and digital versions that fine, but same specs.

The people here who want actual leaps in graphical fidelity on console will surely love even more cross-gen titles lol.

True hardware leaps just don't happen at the level as they did generations ago. We are at a point of diminishing returns in terms of how realistic something can look. It's really all about maintaining good performance in games at this point. That is why improved models every 4 yrs is better than waiting 7+ yrs for new hardware.

leizzra

I could be wrong but I think GTA6 would move the needle console sales wise if one camp has a clear cut this is the best place to play advantage

Is it though? I think it can be relevant for some core gamers but not casuals. For them PS5 will be a better place to play. GTA Online players will prefer console where their buddies are. And then their is one other thing - console bundle. If the PS5 will have it (I think RDR2 was bundled with PS4 Pro) then I think that people will take this even over next gen console.

I think that next Xbox by itself wont convince GTAVI buyers. Maybe if MS will make a deal with Rockstar for marketing but will they?

It kinda makes sense for xbox to do the nintendo thing and zag away from the competetion.
Stop directly competing with PS by not releasing at the same time.

But releasing too soon is gonna kill any remaining consumer loyalty imo.
I can't imagine any xbox series owner is gonna be happy with the news.

But maybe it's their only course of action.
A trade in program would help ease that pain, not to mention the ability to play Xbox-Next releases via cloud. Chances are, they will support S | X with cross-gen releases, then by the time the PS6 arrives they will be out of the cross-gen phase while Sony starts theirs.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Is it though? I think it can be relevant for some core gamers but not casuals. For them PS5 will be a better place to play. GTA Online players will prefer console where their buddies are. And then their is one other thing - console bundle. If the PS5 will have it (I think RDR2 was bundled with PS4 Pro) then I think that people will take this even over next gen console.

I think that next Xbox by itself wont convince GTAVI buyers. Maybe if MS will make a deal with Rockstar for marketing but will they?
All possible but I also think the next GTA better be crossplay

In all honesty having a beefy PC I was likely going to skip the next Xbox unless it does have a clear advantage in GTA6, that is about the only thing that would entice me in buying it

Fabieter

Well what hardware would people expect with a 2025 release. Thats mid tier 2024 hardware at best. Would the jump big enough to even call this a new gen or will they even kill generations with this move.

Crayon

They are going the subscription route eventually.

I don't think that is necessarily so. I think the plan was for game pass to absolutely catch on fire streaming to TVs and phones, and the current gen console having a miraculous comeback. If that's not happening, they could fall back on mainly selling games. They could still have game pass, but rework it for something more suitable for a more realistic projection of the user base.

Pelta88

I don't care for FPS on my switch, but if Im dropping dough on an expensive machine, there are minimums... I loved achieving 20 FPS on wii emulated games... In my mind I have had that standard since li 2006 and were still getting 30 FPS games in 2023... gave me a huge headache thinking about it.

I make my own opinions on games... no outside judgement would shape my opinion if it met minimum requirements... I only care about my judgement.... but yeah, my expectations are/were not that high.

I'd never put in 20+ hours in before a game reportedly gets good. Irrespective of the FPS. I don't play frames. There are tech demos for that.

Last edited:

hinch7

People need to see whats available on PC right now and say we don't need better hardware. Cyberpunk 2077 looks like a whole new game (and in some ways a whole generation ahead) with Pathtracing and thats a baseline PS4/Xbox One game.

Not saying that the next generation Xbox will have that but just saying. AMD has neglected RT for their design for RDNA 2 and 3 to some extent. 4 will be an improvement and 5 again.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Well what hardware would people expect with a 2025 release. Thats mid tier 2024 hardware at best. Would the jump big enough to even call this a new gen or will they even kill generations with this move.
Its well above my paygrade and I don't know how much of a jump it is but current consoles and rumor has the PS5 Pro using Zen 2 and Nextbox slated to use Zen 5 according to Kepler

Proelite

Don't overreact too much. It's a Series Z. A Pro console.

Goals in comparison to the current gen consoles.

Series S. Reconstructed 900p, with RT effects at 30fps.
Series X. Reconstructed ~1440p, with RT effects at 30fps.
Series Z. Reconstructed 4k, with RT effects at 60fps.

Expect ~2x CPU performance lift, and around 3-4x GPU lift, 4-6x RT lift.

Last edited:

saintjules

I'd love to see shorter generations, but does that also imply that we're seeing the max capability of the hardware in new games? Not yet.

From last year:

I'd never put in 20+ hours before a game gets good. Irrespective of the FPS. I don't play frames. There are tech demos for that.
Rally depends on what good means to you... My favorite games are Remnant 1 and Code:Vein.... Never even tempted by GTA, God of War, Halo, Gears or the last of us... Odd take... NFS unbound is my GOTY....

I Cried when people were Bashing New Vegas or Cyberpunk for performance thought it made no sense... Still New Vegas is also the worst I've played of all the Bethesda games..

Masses say performance bad, game good and I say... Performance fine but Game bad... Sorry, I feel like I sound like some hipster asshole who is trying to be unique.

Hours put in before fun is never a problem for me; I ALWAYS enjoy putting on something else and tune out my mind a grind for as long as it makes sense in whatever game I enjoy... and then have fun once my build is complete... So maybe I would enjoy Starfield unlike others... will buy if I ever come accross something that can run it decently...

I only reject 30fps for Series X because I am extremely unhappy about Quality modes on PS5 in general... If those were fine with me on average I would have bit.

Last edited:
True hardware leaps just don't happen at the level as they did generations ago. We are at a point of diminishing returns in terms of how realistic something can look.
This all comes down to personal opinion. People keep saying this about hardware leaps but are then surprised by what the next generation spits out. I've never seen anything last gen on this level, let alone seen it this generation(so far):

I don't know how someone can look at the above and think 'this leap isn't that big from PS4/XBO'. No, it's more that the cross-gen stuff we've been seeing for the past 3ish years has not been a big leap. I have to try and bury my memories of things like the above two videos, because that's how good they look. Otherwise, I would be just as upset about this generation's lack of teeth, much like SlimySnake SlimySnake is upset about it.

Mortisfacio

This gen still feels like it hasn't peaked yet. 2025/2026 would mean a reveal next year at the earliest. Way too soon.

Often times it doesn't even feel like it's truly started. On the one hand, we've still got some new releases coming to last gen consoles. On the other, games like Jedi Survivor were bottoming out at 648p on the PS5. It was slow to abandon last gen, but current gen games are already struggling on current gen. It's been rough.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
2026 is perfect time frame for next box, that's still 3 years away from now pretty much. Seriesns and x will have had a great run there and it should give them time to have a strong launch line up.

Series x and s to a degree was nailed on hardware wise. Such a cool console but MS fucked up this generation with software. They have three years to earn as much respect as possible from the industry and its fans. Then, if they have an awesome line up of good games for their next console they could turn it all around.

I say if they don't nail these next 3 years then they need to go third party completely.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Alienating your xbox series S and X users 3 years after they've bought their console, that sounds like a great idea
No one’s alienating you from games. Technology moves on graphics improve you just don’t have the latest and greatest. Just like phones cars tv’s your not prevented from using them still or getting new content you just don’t get all the new advancements

NickFire

You're a great dude and GAF member, but come on man. We all know ain't no way the next generation Xbox is coming out in time for GTA 6. That's Spring 2025.
Don't kill the dream man. I'm holding out hope that it's actually coming in Fall 2024, bundled with my PS5 Pro. Could be true if Rockstar left out the word fiscal before 2025 so that Sony can megaton the bundle announcement

"Take-Two has previously said that it expects to achieve over $8 billion in net bookings for the 2025 fiscal year, which runs from April 1, 2024 through March 31, 2025. That's up from projections of $5 billion for the 2024 fiscal year we're currently in."
https://www.gamesradar.com/rockstar...-by-march-2025-while-saying-nothing-about-it/

Don't kill the dream.

chilichote

Edit - And makes me slightly wonder if Xbox targeted 2025 because the very higher ups knew GTAs release timing
Then it will be manufactured most likely with the same node as the PS5 Pro and will either have a significantly larger die and will therefore be more expensive or will not be significantly stronger than the PS5 Pro with a comparable die size.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Its well above my paygrade and I don't know how much of a jump it is but current consoles and rumor has the PS5 Pro using Zen 2 and Nextbox slated to use Zen 5 according to Kepler

So since every gen gains are ~20% thats means we are cooking at a cpu ~60% stronger, probably 32 GB ram and a pretty similar gpu to the ps5 pro. Imo a xbox in 2025 or even 2026 wont be a generational jump and if they wanna do that drop the xbox OS and make it a full w11 box. That might be the only way for me to pull the trigger on modern xbox consoles.

Proelite

Then it will be manufactured most likely with the same node as the PS5 Pro

I would be shocked if a console released in 2025 is not using TSMC N3P.

Also, I expect the Series Z to cost at least $599, most likely $699.

So since every gen gains are ~20% thats means we are cooking at a cpu ~60% stronger, probably 32 GB ram and a pretty similar gpu to the ps5 pro. Imo a xbox in 2025 or even 2026 wont be a generational jump and if they wanna do that drop the xbox OS and make it a full w11 box. That might be the only way for me to pull the trigger on modern xbox consoles.

32GB LOL.

Expect no more than 20GB on the new Xbox.

Last edited:
But what if the sun is made of melting cheese?

So in this universe where the sun is made of cheese, the next gen Xbox could be that much more powerful than the PS5 pro.

In the real world, there probably won’t even be a next gen version GTA for Xbox. But we will see, maybe MS employed Houdini and a wild next gen Xbox will appear in 2025 and it will have the same power profile as if it launched in 2028 because Xbox energy is just that strong.
Three years ago, if you told people that Activision would become a subsidiary of Microsoft, people would call you crazy. Strange things happen, especially in this industry.

Top Bottom