• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Leaker Kepler thinks the next Xbox is coming sooner than 2028

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I guess the biggest thing is MS admitting defeat for this gen if they launch sooner.

Nintendo recovered after the Wii U, let's see if MS can do the same.

Thing is....MS aren't Nintendo.

DarthPutin

Not sure if I understand correctly.

They will still need to support Series S for the time being, as it is absolute majority of their current gen consoles. Series S was aimed mostly at money conscious buyers who don't fancy cashing out money too often. So they will be either left with outdated consoles that barely received games MS promised for THIS gen. Or MS will have to make cross-gen games for new super-duper consoles AND Series S. How exciting is it?

jroc74

They will still need to support Series S for the time being, as it is absolute majority of their current gen consoles. Series S was aimed mostly at money conscious buyers who don't fancy cashing out money too often. So they will be either left with outdated consoles that barely received games MS promised for THIS gen. Or MS will have to make cross-gen games for new super-duper consoles AND Series S. How exciting is it?
Yup, the Series S is the wild card in all this.

Launching later gives them an easier way to drop support for it. Launch too soon and you have to include and support Series S alot longer. Maybe.

Thats one reason why some of us thought a mid gen refresh from MS wasnt happening. Now they wanna launch a next gen console instead?

Schmendrick

The current sales number would warrant a "panic mode", but would speeding up the console cycle actually help or make it worse?
I`d usually expect the latter due to software development not being able to keep up and the broader userbase not being keen on spending more money without very strong software incentives.

Last edited:

Elios83

We have discussed about this in other threads.
Nothing prevents Microsoft from introducing new hardware whenever they want.

The problem is calling that starting a new generation.
A new generation won't start just because there is new hardware.
It starts when you're willing to make exclusives for it, when developers and third parties are willing to make things that can only run on that new hardware.
With developers barely starting to develop exclusive software for consoles released in 2020 and Microsoft not making console exclusives anymore,plus the need to not leave behind their current products, it becomes obvious that this idea has no sense.
We're not in the Dreamcast/360 days anymore.
New hardware in 2025-2026 would mimic the results of the Xbox One X, a super powerful mid gen upgrade,that is all.

Last edited:

jroc74

Series S will be discontinued, and Series X becomes the new entry level.
I remember ppl saying this last gen. Might be a repeat of last gen...when the One X got cut first. Because:
That's gonna piss off a lot of people, since most sales are on Series S.
Especially if MS does look at the XSX as their mid gen refresh....

Again, the Series S is the wild card.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
The craziest aspect of this, specially if 2025 is the target, is how quickly the crazies go from trying to convince the world that series were gonna pop, to series are popping, to series not popping doesn’t matter, to fan fiction fantasy series of Xbox “next” releasing so soon is definitely gonna pop and dominate.

How can the same people always be so insanely positive when they are consistently wrong? It’s lunacy.

Last edited:
With this they were only going to be able to put an end to Xbox in the console market, they have to endure with what they have and yes, it is amazing how we have gone from 2023 "the year of Xbox" to wanting a new generation for yesterday.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

That's gonna piss off a lot of people, since most sales are on Series S.

First, there will be many people, but not the majority. People continue to confuse that information that said 75 vs 25 in favor of XSS when it only referred to the situation of a single month where the stock of XSX was zero. According to Circana data, the reality is now 50:50 or even in favor of XSX LTD, which has sold more units than XSS during the year.

Then, stopping selling XSS does not mean stopping offering support and that games will no longer be released on it. I don't think that's going to be MS's step when they are still releasing games for XBO.
And in case they decide on the Apple model (where certain games are released only on the new versions of iPhones), I suppose it will not be until after 5 years of life, which is very decent for any hardware and especially one of 200-150 $

By that I don't mean that this is going to happen (in fact i bet it will be or a midgen in 2025 like XBO X was, or the roadmap leaked) just that it wouldn't be a strange situation because it already happens in the industry and MS Is en a situation where maybe need a revolutyonaty movement (that, i repeat, i think will not be)

Darsxx82

Their lapdogs are well trained, they will immediately flip to admitting it was a shitbox. Same thing happened with the Xbox One as soon as the One X released.
Isn't that what drove PS4 users who upgraded to PS4Pro? Or those who are eager to change their aoutdate PS5 for their PS5 Pro because midgen hardware is essential?? 🤔.

It's not that Sony doesn't know how to train their lapdogs just as well 🙃

damidu

The craziest aspect of this, specially if 2025 is the target, is how quickly the crazies go from trying to convince the world that series were gonna pop, to series are popping, to series not popping doesn’t matter, to fan fiction fantasy series of Xbox “next” releasing so soon is definitely gonna pop and dominate.

How can the same people always be so insanely positive when they are consistently wrong? It’s lunacy.
its collective hysteria at this point.
clinging to any fantasy to not face the reality.

people claiming "gen hasn't started, we don't need pro" yesterday, daydreaming of a next gen in 2025

AJUMP23

I think that is they 360 strategy replayed. It worked well for them last time. Got out there early, shortened the life cycle and took a lead in sales. Sony also helped with their blunders as well in that era.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Isn't that what drove PS4 users who upgraded to PS4Pro? Or those who are eager to change their aoutdate PS5 for their PS5 Pro because midgen hardware is essential?? 🤔.

It's not that Sony doesn't know how to train their lapdogs just as well 🙃
Sony sold more PS4 after the PS4 Pro than before it. Xbox can't say the same, even when we let out the year where the PS4 Pro was out there and no Xbox One X was present yet.
I can understand that you are unhappy with people calling some Xbox fans "lapdogs", but Sony too is not a good answer to that IMHO.

Darsxx82

Sony sold more PS4 after the PS4 Pro than before it. Xbox can't say the same, even when we let out the year where the PS4 Pro was out there and no Xbox One X was present yet.
I can understand that you are unhappy with people calling some Xbox fans "lapdogs", but Sony too is not a good answer to that IMHO.
First, more XBOs were sold than XBO Xs in the same period, I don't know what you're talking about. Even XBO X stopped selling before.

The equivalence is correct, or do you think that among Sony fans there is not a great number that positively accepts anything that Sony says or do?

The funny thing is to see a clear Sony lapdog calling MS lapdogs to any of them who might be happy with the launch of new, more powerful hardware.
Not every XSS user is someone predisposed to buying new, more powerful hardware, nor are they all people who are displeased with what they have paid.

But hey, some people are very good at generalizing😉

Read what I said and try again.

No amount of false equivalences will make it the same thing.

There is no lack of equivalence, it is simply you with your typical demagoguery and generalizing....

Most XSS users know what they have bought and are certainly not the typical ones predisposed to buying the latest technology available just because it has a specific brand. In fact, the majority of users predisposed to new, more powerful XBOX hardware would generally be XSX users.

But ok, there are no lapdogs well trained by Sony🤗

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
“Most Series S users know what they bought” the new narrative? Where on the ticket was the understanding that it would only be supported for five years? Or that it would be phased out? Phil Spencer said it himself he expected Series S to be the majority of the userbase. Oh but who cares about series s owners now lol

Oh it’s the Series S owner’s fault that Xbox shat the bed this gen. Ok.

Wait let me scramble some crazy idea of the future while I drool myself into hitting post reply.

Don’t let your brain fart stop you from realizing that Xbox changed plans recently…

Last edited:

damidu

There is no lack of equivalence, it is simply you with your typical demagoguery and generalizing....

Most XSS users know what they have bought and are certainly not the typical ones predisposed to buying the latest technology available just because it has a specific brand. In fact, the majority of users predisposed to new, more powerful XBOX hardware would generally be XSX users.

oh so they weren't duped it'll be (checking notes)
"same game, just lower resolution. perfect 1440p60 machine"
good to know

Power is not the problem for XBOX… MS is the problem for XBOX, and it shows! A new hardware is going to hurt them even more… And it contradicts the actual narrative from MS that consoles sells don’t matter anymore. 🤡

Last edited:

Darsxx82

oh so they weren't duped it'll be (checking notes)
"same game, just lower resolution. perfect 1440p60 machine"
good to know
We've been here for 3 years, I think that's enough time to know. In fact, the real differences were already known before being launched.
Sony and MS also sell XSX and PS5 as compatible 8K consoles and 4K games..... and yet more and more you have games that do not exceed 1080p or less.
This and surely the average XSS user doesn't even know what resolution or framerate is. Simply whether a specific game is released on it or not.

MikeM

We've been here for 3 years, I think that's enough time to know. In fact, the real differences were already known before being launched.
Sony and MS also sell XSX and PS5 as compatible 8K consoles and 4K games..... and yet more and more you have games that do not exceed 1080p or less.
This and surely the average XSS user doesn't even know what resolution or framerate is. Simply whether a specific game is released on it or not.
There is one 8k game though (even tho the console can’t output 8k if I remember correctly).

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You're a great dude and GAF member, but come on man. We all know ain't no way the next generation Xbox is coming out in time for GTA 6. That's Spring 2025.
In appreciate the compliments and I agree I doubt the nextbox can make that window but a game as big as GTA6 I would not be surprised if it has delays and struggle to make a Spring 25 date

But who knows

Deerock71

miss cleo infomercial GIF

youre GIF

Will Arnett Conan GIF by Team Coco

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Well that’s good. The next gen systems should run current gen games well, and then it’ll be another 3 years of cross gen before next next gen arrives.

Thirty7ven

Banned
You're a great dude and GAF member, but come on man. We all know ain't no way the next generation Xbox is coming out in time for GTA 6. That's Spring 2025.

It wouldn’t matter anyway because the wheels are already turning and GTA VI main audience will be on PlayStation when it launches. Even if it gets delayed to the end of 25 and Xbox Series Pro (ahem “next gen”) released day and date, how many units would MS be able to put on the market at a price point that makes sense?

MS can try and catch GTA VI’s ride all they want, but when it launches it will look like a PS5 exclusive when you look at the numbers.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
First, more XBOs were sold than XBO Xs in the same period, I don't know what you're talking about. Even XBO X stopped selling before.

The equivalence is correct, or do you think that among Sony fans there is not a great number that positively accepts anything that Sony says or do?

The funny thing is to see a clear Sony lapdog calling MS lapdogs to any of them who might be happy with the launch of new, more powerful hardware.
Not every XSS user is someone predisposed to buying new, more powerful hardware, nor are they all people who are displeased with what they have paid.

But hey, some people are very good at generalizing😉

Of course more Xbox One were sold than One X. I was saying it in the sense that more Xbox One were sold before the arrival of the One X than after. Instead of doing this, why not look at the Switch OLED, who is the better choice and most sales are of this model since it is out?

AngelMuffin

They did it with 360 and it ended up going well, I think that would be the better choice for Xbox right now, and for gamers too, release a next gen console, and back it up with new games/ip
What really helped the 360, even more than the 1 year head start. Was Sony’s fumbling of the PS3. Prices too high & notoriously difficult to develop for. Pushed a lot of consumers to Xbox…then Microsoft threw all that goodwill and marketshare in the trash with the Xbox One.

Fabieter

Understood but console don’t cost near the cost of phones to manufacture. Hell just sell modular parts. Most game are bottlenecked at gpu now so slide in an new gpu if you want 4k/120

Profit margins on phones are insane nothing like the consoles. Xbox sold consoles for a lose of 200 bucks a console. If this turns out true than it shows the failure of series consoles and the unwillingness to turn things around.

So if you make a new gen every 4 or 5 years drop the console ecosystem and sell steam boxes. Seriously this and the the ladk of physical in the futurewill be the true death of consoles.

King Dazzar

It would need to be crazily powerful at a very competitive price for me to be interested. But even then, it'll be dependant on how the Xbox XSX experience is by then. In terms of the push towards more advertising on the console, if there are games I love that aren't all old etc etc.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It would need to be crazily powerful at a very competitive price for me to be interested. But even then, it'll be dependant on how the Xbox XSX experience is by then. In terms of the push towards more advertising on the console, if there are games I love that aren't all old etc etc.
Could very well be something like an Series S 2 around PS5 Pro power for $400 and a Seres X 2 for a very nice power bump for $600

It seems the dual power sku could very well happen again

GHG

The Series S and original Xbox One are/were bad pieces of hardware. It's no secret, developers have come out and spoken about this (some at length), games are/were getting delayed for the console and game modes are skipping the Series S because of it. There were no such issues with the PS4 and there are no such issues with the PS5.

Look on the bright side though, at least you'll be relieved of your Series S fluffing duties in due course.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
And here we are 3 years into the gen and were still barely getting any current gen only titles

Pushing out another machine early just seems completely pointless when we are barely even getting games solely designed for the current gen yet

Imagine how ridiculous it's going to be when developers are pushing out games that are designed for xbox one, xbox series s, xbox series X and xbox Next, because that's genuinely what we are looking at here
Much easier than scaling and designing for PC which no one seems to botch about. 35 different gpus, hundreds of processors. It’s not complicated

tommib

I think most games will support series S but the BG3 exception with co-op opened the doors for this to happen more in the future. Series X would be the Series S for highly demanding games when the Series Z comes out.

Darsxx82

The Series S and original Xbox One are/were bad pieces of hardware.It's no secret, developers have come out and spoken about this (some at length), games are/were getting delayed for the console and game modes are skipping the Series S because of it. There were no such issues with the PS4 and there are no such issues with the PS5.
The fact that you need to lie to support your typical demagoguery says it all😂

No one stopped releasing games on XBO due to lack of power. Games are still released on it. Nor has anyone stopped launching games in XSS due to lack of power. And only one case where a game mode was not released that on PS5 and XSX works at 900p and 30-20fps.😏

XBO was not a bad piece of hardware, it was simply less powerful than PS4 because its proposal included extra hardware that was later a failure. It's funny because you talk as if XBO were hardware that wasn't capable of running any PS4 game....🤔
XSS is anything but a bad piece of hardware. For its price, in fact, it is quite the opposite. You won't find hardware for that price with SSD, CPU, RT hardware. Another different thing is that it is not a product for you or it represents a headache for devs accustomed to a single power objective on console (because on PC they are used to that type of scalability).

Look on the bright side though, at least you'll be relieved of your Series S fluffing duties in due course.

It is not the case that games have been limited by the existence of XSS. You have the PC versions there. Quite the opposite when you are demanding more powerful hardware than the XSX and PS5 to get something closer to the actual PC games versions...

PS . I don't have XSS, it's not a product for me. And I am one of those who defends the launch of midgen consoles as well. That is one thing and another to believe that XSS is the evil and that every user of it is an MS lapdog trained to embrace anything MS does even to its detriment.

But hey, it's not like I expect continued demagoguery from some to end😉😏

GHG

Debate their points, don’t just cry shill.
The fact that you need to lie to support your typical demagoguery says it all😂

No one stopped releasing games on XBO due to lack of power. Games are still released on it. Nor has anyone stopped launching games in XSS due to lack of power. And only one case where a game mode was not released that on PS5 and XSX works at 900p and 30-20fps.😏

XBO was not a bad piece of hardware, it was simply less powerful than PS4 because its proposal included extra hardware that was later a failure. It's funny because you talk as if XBO were hardware that wasn't capable of running any PS4 game....🤔
XSS is anything but a bad piece of hardware. For its price, in fact, it is quite the opposite. You won't find hardware for that price with SSD, CPU, RT hardware. Another different thing is that it is not a product for you or it represents a headache for devs accustomed to a single power objective on console (because on PC they are used to that type of scalability).

It is not the case that games have been limited by the existence of XSS. You have the PC versions there. Quite the opposite when you are demanding more powerful hardware than the XSX and PS5 to get something closer to the actual PC games versions...

PS . I don't have XSS, it's not a product for me. And I am one of those who defends the launch of midgen consoles as well. That is one thing and another to believe that XSS is the evil and that every user of it is an MS lapdog trained to embrace anything MS does even to its detriment.

But hey, it's not like I expect continued demagoguery from some to end😉😏

shill-shill-alert.gif

You genuinely think I'm going to read your emoji spam and PR derived paragraphs attempting to justify underpowered and poorly thought out hardware? That ship has sailed my friend.

Best of luck on your endeavours.

Top Bottom