• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mario Kart 8 releasng in April 2014?

flippedb

Banned
let's see release dates for America : Pikmin 3 August 4, New super luigi 3 ( retail ) august, Wonderful 101 in September, Wind waker HD in October, Donkey kong country Tropical freeze in November, Super Mario 3D world in December

+ sonic lost world & Batman Arkham Origins in October iirc + all them Ubisoft games like watch_dogs, rayman, splinter cell, and assassins creed 4 are releasing on wii u too ...I don't see the problem ..Wii U's line up is PACKED for this year.
Next year I see them releasing bayonetta 2 early like january or February like how Bayonetta 1 released in January, I see Wii fit U being a early title for next year same with Yarn Yoshi and + there's other 2014 games like X, Fire emblem x SMT and smash bros..don't forget E3 where nintendo will show off more new games

in early 2008 Nintendo released the 1 2 3 punch in the first half. they released smash bros brawl in March, mario kart in April and wii fit in May ..if smash bros is really that deep into development ( i very much doubt, i see smash as their big holiday game ) they could do the same strategy again :p

Reading things like this produces a tingly feeling on my man parts
it also makes my wallet cry

Anyone who follows Nintendo knows that they are probably due for a drought next year unless they have some 3rd party partnerships to fill the gap. They are firing on pretty much all their cyclinders this year with 3D Mario, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, Windwaker remake, Zelda 3DS, Mario & Luigi, Mario Party, Wii ___ series games, and recently releasing 2d Mario. I wouldn't expect much more than X, Mario Kart, Bayonetta, Yoshi, and Smash, and Fire Emblem for 2014 on Wii U. Perhaps they have something from SPD but I don't know what development studio could have another game ready.Nintendo seems to have off periods every 3 or so years. 2005, 2008, 2011 all had major droughts.2015 is when I would expect to see the next big wave of Wii U games.

Tripon

A bunch? Who else besides Retro?

Hmm, looks like I mis-remembered. According to this Iwata Asks it was Skyward Sword that were pulling Nintendo Devs to their project, so that's why MK7 had to get Retro to help out.

Edit:
Iwata Okay, let's start from Konno-san. Retro is practically on the opposite side of the globe from Japan. Could you tell us how our two companies came to make Mario Kart 7 together? Konno Oh, sure. I wasn't expecting that. (laughs) Understood. Let's see; the plan for Mario Kart 7 originally got its start at the beginning of 2010, at the same time as nintendogs + cats.3 The release of nintendogs + cats was scheduled first, so in the beginning we put more effort into creating that game, and had a tiny group of eight people working on Mario Kart 7. That said, when we got to the stage where we'd really be getting down to business on Mario Kart 7, lots of titles were underway in the department, and we had a problem: we didn't have enough members to develop the game.
3. nintendogs™ + cats: A simulation game released for the Nintendo 3DS™ system in March 2011.
Iwata To be completely honest, we decided to extend the production for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword4 so people you were expecting to have some time weren't available, right?
4. The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword: An action-adventure game released for the Wii™ console on November 20, 2011.
Konno No. To be perfectly honest, that was one of the reasons. (laughs) I discussed it with (Shinya) Takahashi-san5 from the Software Planning & Development Department (SPD) and my contemporary, (Kensuke) Tanabe-san6, asking them, "Can we make it with one of the companies Tanabe-san's in contact with?" Retro had been working on the development of Donkey Kong Country Returns7, and the timing when they were going to be wrapped with that title matched the timing we would start needing help. The timing was right, and we ended up making it happen.

Still Iwata says it usually takes 2 and a half years to make a MK game, so that sounds about right. Mario Kart 7 came out Dec. 2011, so April 2014 is just a little under 2 and a half years.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
On a related note, has this been posted in the past? http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/29/nin...itles-set-for-release-before-2014-says-iwata/

During an investor’s meeting yesterday, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said the firm has unannounced Wii U titles set to release by 2014.

According to Iwata, translated by Cheesemeister, there’s more information on development “than could be released at E3.”

Iwata said that what has been shown through Nintendo Direct sessions and on the floor at E3 was enough to “ease owners’ fears.”

The firm has a plan in place so that there isn’t as much of a gap between the announcement and the game’s release so as not to “lessen the impact or allow competitors to copy.”

TDLink

Anyone who follows Nintendo knows that they are probably due for a drought next year unless they have some 3rd party partnerships to fill the gap. They are firing on pretty much all their cyclinders this year with 3D Mario, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, Windwaker remake, Zelda 3DS, Mario & Luigi, Mario Party, Wii ___ series games, and recently releasing 2d Mario. I wouldn't expect much more than X, Mario Kart, Bayonetta, Yoshi, and Smash, and Fire Emblem for 2014 on Wii U. Perhaps they have something from SPD but I don't know what development studio could have another game ready.Nintendo seems to have off periods every 3 or so years. 2005, 2008, 2011 all had major droughts.2015 is when I would expect to see the next big wave of Wii U games.

I highly doubt there will be nothing else next fall other than X and Smash Bros. Nintendo can always reveal more games via Nintendo Directs and they undoubtedly will. I'm not really worried about a drought since almost all of their announced games are between now and April. They aren't that dumb to leave only 2 - 3 games for the rest of 2014. They just aren't announcing everything a year+ in advance.

I highly doubt there will be nothing else next fall other than X and Smash Bros. Nintendo can always reveal more games via Nintendo Directs and they undoubtedly will. I'm not really worried about a drought since almost all of their announced games are between now and April. They aren't that dumb to leave only 2 - 3 games for the rest of 2014. They just aren't announcing everything a year+ in advance.

Look at the 2nd half of 2008 for the Wii. Post Mario Kart, Wii Fit, and Smash they only releaesed Animal Crossing, Wii Music, and Warioland Shake It. I dont doubt they might have something else from the Wii ___ series, but I'm just saying with what Nintendo is releasing on the 3DS this year along with the Wii releases Nintendo does not have the capacity and never has to keep up a series of releases and Nintendo has always been a victim of that leading to large droughts. Whether it comes at the end of next year is one thing, but without 3rd party support it is certainly coming.

I will be interested to see what NIntendo does for Animal Crossing Wii U after New Leaf's massive success since Animal Crossing is the only staple they haven't announced yet.

If you buy a console with subpar third party support in the first place as of right now, you are just going to have to expect droughts here and there - even Nintendo with their excellent first party studios can fill in only so many gaps just by themselves, sort of reminds me of a few years in the N64 lifecycle.

Granted, you would get great games like OOT and DK64 here and there but the few monthly-long software droughts with only a few titles, only some of them even being THAT good was a bit brutal after a while.

Yeah it's just something that comes with the territory that I've grown to expect. Even 3DS's 2012 was pretty patchy in terms of 1st party releases.

Yawnier

Banned

If you buy a console with subpar third party support in the first place as of right now, you are just going to have to expect droughts here and there - even Nintendo with their excellent first party studios can fill in only so many gaps just by themselves, sort of reminds me of a few years in the N64 lifecycle.

Granted, you would get great games like OOT and DK64 here and there but the few monthly-long software droughts with only a few titles, only some of them even being THAT good was a bit brutal after a while.

Tripon

Yeah, Nintendo has a habit in the past of announcing games that were nowhere near launch dates. Heck, they just did it recently with the Jan. Nintendo direct when they announced FExSMT, and Yarn Yoshi among the other games like Wind Waker HD, despite nowhere being near ready for release. You can throw in X in there as well, because if I had to take a guess, we won't see X until late 2014. And people have criticized that approach as well.

Murrah

Banned
Yep, been saying for a while we were in for a drought in 2014. Pretty much perfectly following the Wii pattern except Smash Bros. will be end of the year at best instead of March. Mario Kart April, Yoshi October, Smash November, X...no idea. Maybe January of 2015, Bayonetta probably the same. I mean, absolutely no way will it be as bad as Wii's 2008 was, but it's gonna be far from stacked unless they somehow do manage to turn sales around this year and convince third parties to come back

Dayum so all Big N has for this holiday on Wii U is one big title with Super Mario 3D World?

I think Super Smash is 2014 too, correct?

As a Nintendo console owner for the past 15 years, droughts are just part of the reality. I remember many a barren release schedule in between Rare and Nintendo releases for the N64, renting Glover and ARmy Men: Sarge's Heroes and Kid Chameleon and shit.

It's never going back to the SNES days where you had all your big Nintendo quality games alongside third party games from Capcom/konami, Squaresoft RPGs, etc.

Darryl

Banned
Right, but I'm sure they're gonna keep games like Bayonetta and X for the Fall.

Yoshi's Epic Yarn? What else?

why would bayonetta be a fall title? that thing is spring territory or summer with a delay. if it releases closer to the holidays it is going to be competing with sony/xbox over the same target demo and thats a bad idea. we have playable footage of it already as well, i'd expect it to arrive Feb or March.

Dayum so all Big N has for this holiday on Wii U is one big title with Super Mario 3D World?

Donkey Kong is in november, no? that's holiday as well. in fact it's the most important holiday date. mario 3d is taking a back seat this year

Some nice art.

mk8-3.jpg

mk8-2.jpg

mk8-4.jpg

Azure J

As a Nintendo console owner for the past 15 years, droughts are just part of the reality. I remember many a barren release schedule in between Rare and Nintendo releases for the N64, renting Glover and ARmy Men: Sarge's Heroes and Kid Chameleon and shit.

It's never going back to the SNES days where you had all your big Nintendo quality games alongside third party games from Capcom/konami, Squaresoft RPGs, etc.

*cries internally knowing that he missed out on living the dream during the SNES days since N64 was coming out right when the family decided to upgrade from the NES*

I'm still mildly salty that I didn't get the DKC2/Yoshi's Island bundle SNES after asking for it specifically for years back then, but N64 was pretty cool to kid me.

^That art is gorgeous.

Coolwhip

Banned

Well, apparantly Nintendo is expanding a lot. So Nintendo is working towards less draughts.

PS4 and XB1 would have Mario Kart for dinner if it released this holiday.

Heh..not the same situation, but your post reminded me of when Grand Theft Auto IV was being released. Some people on GAF swore up and down that that month would finally see the 360 and PS3 outsell the Wii.

What actually happened? Mario Kart Wii catapulted the Wii to a record breaking 700k+ in a non-holiday/launch month, while the other 2 consoles somehow managed to sell LESS than they did the previous month.

Heyt

Banned
Ideally, if they are able to stick to their "games every month from now on" premise, Nintendo would release Bayonetta in January, Yarn Yoshi in February, Forth Sonic Exclusive on March and Kart in April.

But since Nintendo has failed to deliver in so many fronts lately I would say WiiU user will have an empty January and February, Bayonetta in march and Mario Kart delayed until mid May.

This wouldn't surprise me too much since April is in the the projected spring 2014 date.

I'm more curious about Smash Bros's release... Brawl came out in March in the U.S., so I wonder if they will do something similar with wii u/3ds, or if it will be released in summer-fall release. Hope I don't have to wait until Fall/Winter 2014 though. /:

thefro

Yep, been saying for a while we were in for a drought in 2014. Pretty much perfectly following the Wii pattern except Smash Bros. will be end of the year at best instead of March. Mario Kart April, Yoshi October, Smash November, X...no idea. Maybe January of 2015, Bayonetta probably the same. I mean, absolutely no way will it be as bad as Wii's 2008 was, but it's gonna be far from stacked unless they somehow do manage to turn sales around this year and convince third parties to come back

At least there should be a pretty steady stream of indie games hitting eshop during any droughts.

Look at how amazing Nintendo Wii sales were.

Now let's compare that to Wii U...

The system really needs a good number of big games during the holiday season.

Point taken, but I think Mario & Sonic, Zelda, Sonic, Donkey Kong, and Mario 3D should do a good job.

Courage

there've been droughts since 1996 w/r/t nintendo consoles. i'm a nintendo fan but its one thing you can steadily rely on, regardless whenever mario kart or donkey kong or 3D world or whaveter game gets released

To be fair, the WiiU is my first Nintendo console since the N64.

So I will get a Wii U in april 2014.

From the way you've been rooting for them in GAF and excusing the WiiU's dismal performance one would've thought you're already a card carrying WiiU owner lol.

On topic:- It really hurts that we have to wait until April '14 to get this traditionally bullish series onto Wii U.

Sadist

Heh..not the same situation, but your post reminded me of when Grand Theft Auto IV was being released. Some people on GAF swore up and down that that month would finally see the 360 and PS3 outsell the Wii.

What actually happened? Mario Kart Wii catapulted the Wii to a record breaking 700k+ in a non-holiday/launch month, while the other 2 consoles somehow managed to sell LESS than they did the previous month.
Wii Fit launched too in April 2008!!

TDLink

Donkey Kong? Wind Waker? Wonderful 101? Sonic? Wii Fit?

Nintendo is prone to droughts, yes (although only typically because they are supporting two platforms) but they Wii U just went through a drought that is about to end. I doubt there will be another one so soon in 2014.

I do doubt we will get monthly releases like the last half of this year, but I could see bi-monthly easily. You don't expect at least 6 games from them on the platform next year?

Jan/Feb - Bayonetta 2

March/Apr - Mario Kart 8

May/June - Yoshi

July/August - X

September/October - Fire Emblem

November/December - Smash Bros

And that is just using the titles we know are coming. I am positive there will be more currently unannounced things on the way.

Sendou

Yeah no use in pretending we know every Nintendo Wii U title for 2014 because we really don't.

No reason in pretending that stuff like FE x SMT is coming in 2014 either. It might as well do but I wouldn't count on it.

I don't think it has ever been as bad as on the WiiU right now. But that might also be, because their lineup looked never as uninspired and lazy as on here. I don't remember how the exact release dates on Wii were, but I sure know that the first year had a very good lineup of games that still felt fresh regardless of some similar names.
This time, their only games that actually somehow feel like a step into their next gen are X and Mario Kart. So it takes them one and a half years to deliver the first somehow ambitious looking game. Pretty damn pathetic. Usually, their droughts also came mid-gen or so and we never went right into one when it started. Sure, N64 also wasn't too hot - but that already had a milestone like Mario 64 ready. And while the 3DS also started shitty, it never had an outlook as poor as on the WiiU and it regaining momentum wasn't that much of a surprise.

TDLink

Yeah no use in pretending we know every Nintendo Wii U title for 2014 because we really don't.

No reason in pretending that stuff like FE x SMT is coming in 2014 either. It might as well do but I wouldn't count on it.

I don't see why Nintendo would officially announce something for post-2014 in January of this year (Zelda being a special exception). Atlus' bankruptcy issues may cause some problems though, sure.

There are some more "unannounced" games we know are for sure coming like the F2P Steel Diver game or the third agreed Sonic title as well.

really dropped the ball by not getting this out by the holidays.

Spieler Eins said:
I don't think it has ever been as bad as on the WiiU right now.

This time, their only games that actually somehow feel like a step into their next gen are X and Mario Kart. So it takes them one and a half years to deliver the first somehow ambitious looking game. Pretty damn pathetic.

only in the sense that the other droughts were later on, so a decent number of games were already available for the system. otherwise the Gamecube was TERRIBLE about droughts.

discounting stuff like Pikmin and DKCR and Wonderful 101 and Mario 3D World as you have is also pretty unfair.

Nah, Nintendo 64 had some crazy ass droughts. Blast Corps and Mario Kart 64 released in Feb '97, that was cool, and then NOTHING but Turok and Doom 64 until July when Star Fox 64 and August when Goldeneye 007 hit. I think I had all the gold medals in Blast Corps by the time SF64 hit, I was playing it so much lol

Wii-U might have some sparse months next year, but the N64 had some rough ass patches

Top Bottom