• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mario Kart 8 releasng in April 2014?

As a Nintendo console owner for the past 15 years, droughts are just part of the reality. I remember many a barren release schedule in between Rare and Nintendo releases for the N64, renting Glover and ARmy Men: Sarge's Heroes and Kid Chameleon and shit.

It's never going back to the SNES days where you had all your big Nintendo quality games alongside third party games from Capcom/konami, Squaresoft RPGs, etc.

This is exactly what I always think when talks of "ANOTHER DROUGHT?" pop up. It's normal at this point, and anyone really into buying a lot of games would be crazy to depend on a Ninty console alone.

As long as the games are great, I'm talking 9/10 quality, I'm fine with droughts. I have other consoles to keep me busy.

spliced

Early next year will probably be pretty dry, but the difference between 2013 and 2014 is that there will be loads of games for new Wii U owners to play in 2014. For the latter part of 2014 Nintendo probably has a couple of unannounced games.

The one thing I've learned on GAF is that MKWii sales don't really count because the only who bought a Wii were soccer moms who got it to just play Wii sports or some bullshit like that.
Who says they don't count? Mk has been a huge seller for over a decade. Mk dd proportion of sales to the install base was incredible. However mkwiis sales are not a good way to gauge how 8 will sell. I expect somewhat more than double dash by the end. I ront think the atlus bankruptcy will affect nintendo because intelligent systems was developing

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So I'm reading this thread and some people seem to be mad that this isn't out this year, some people seem mad it isn't out next January, and then other people are mad about a presumed drought in the fall of 2014?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm pretty sure Nintendo said at E3 that it was scheduled for a Spring release. Not really a huge deal in terms of rumor

Exact same scheme as Mario Kart Wii (Wii released late 2006 → Mario Kart Wii released April 2008). Nothing surprising there but maybe this time Nintendo isn't gonna wait 2 years before releasing a bundle with the console.
They're not gonna bundle it until its sold a couple million.

schuelma

I'm pretty sure Nintendo said at E3 that it was scheduled for a Spring release. Not really a huge deal in terms of rumor

Yup. I was expecting late March or early April- late March to possibly try and get some sales before the fiscal year ends..but April was always likely.

So I'm reading this thread and some people seem to be mad that this isn't out this year, some people seem mad it isn't out next January, and then other people are mad about a presumed drought in the fall of 2014?

Im not mad about a drought. The game not being in the fiscal year just seems like they are defintely spacing out the releases as to not have big gaps

schuelma

Im not mad about a drought. The game not being in the fiscal year just seems like they are defintely spacing out the releases as to not have big gaps

I definitely think they are trying to space it out so they have a big hitter in the Spring instead of shooting all of their bullets this holiday.

DrWong

I definitely think they are trying to space it out so they have a big hitter in the Spring instead of shooting all of their bullets this holiday.

MK8 has only a little more than a year of development according to Konno during E3, I doubt they're holding it to space releases.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I initially thought that MK8 releasing this holiday was imperative, but now I think it's better where it is. Nintendo is going to need momentum, and a blockbuster like Mario Kart releasing right in the middle of the likely PS4/XBone post-launch drought will be just the ticket.

TDLink

Who says they don't count? Mk has been a huge seller for over a decade. Mk dd proportion of sales to the install base was incredible. However mkwiis sales are not a good way to gauge how 8 will sell. I expect somewhat more than double dash by the end. I ront think the atlus bankruptcy will affect nintendo because intelligent systems was developing

It definitely can. I don't think they ever confirmed if Intelligent Systems is solely developing it or if they are developing it with Atlus employees as well. Even if it is solely IS (And thus Nintendo) the bankruptcy issue could cause them to not be able to use the SMT IP for the game, which would cause a delay until that matter was resolved.

Top Bottom