• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 Is Allegedly Banned In The Middle East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-order options were removed merely hours after the game's listing went live.

Middle Eastern gamers can no longer pre-order Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 on the PlayStation store. The pre-order option was removed merely hours after the game went live on the PSN store pages in the region. The Digital Deluxe Edition as well as age ratings, price, and release date can’t be viewed any longer too. Fans speculate that the game has been banned in the respective regions due to Middle East’s laws regarding LGBTQ+.

The issue was first noticed on Twitter today by a Spider-Man fan account, MSM_Access. After this, further fans came up with screenshots of their PSN store pages. The issue was also earlier reported on the Spider-Man PS4 subreddit. A fan also claimed that they had pre-ordered the game before it was removed from the stores and after contacting PlayStation Support, they received a refund.

Unlike the UK and USA PSN stores where you can view the release date and age ratings up front, the Middle Eastern stores only show “announced” for the game and no further information. The release date is also said to be determined yet on the respective pages when the original worldwide release date has been set to October 20. Most recently, the age ratings have been erased.

Spider-Man-2-on-PSN-store-in-Middle-East-via-Reddit.jpg

Fans all through the Middle East including UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Kuwait are facing the issue and have been contacting their respective support centers ever since. The most common theory among fans is that the game is probably being canceled for the inclusion of some LGBTQ+ content that the directors cannot remove. It is speculated to be Felicia Hardy, AKA Black Cat’s cameo who is bisexual in the comics.

To further stamp the cancellation rumors, the Middle East has earlier banned one of the most popular games this year, Final Fantasy 16 due to the inclusion of gay characters. The Last Of Us Part 2 faced the ban for the same reason. Apart from games, Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse was removed from the theaters following some trans-supportive messages seen in the film
On the good side, despite the aforementioned content, Spider-Man: Miles Morales ran in the region without an objection. However, nothing can be said concretely yet, the game could be in the process of being localized and censored, so a delay is imminent. The possibility of a ban can also not be completely ruled out considering the region’s strict laws regarding LGBTQ+ content.

Spider-Man 2 is set to be released on October 20 this year exclusively for the PlayStation 5. Marketing for the game has been paced up as a Spider-Man 2-themed special edition PS5 has been unveiled. The trailer amassed over 20 million views. The game has already generated a lot of excitement around the world, but Middle Eastern fans could face a bummer if the region decides to outlaw it.

Getting a kick outta posting this in a group that suppossedly takes a hardline stance in any lgbt inclusion and would not buy any game with it. Of course, its hypocrisy with everyone and their brother buying ffxvi and finishing that game so hard, wonder what will happen with spiderman. Godspeed you madfuckers 🫡

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Lol if true and wouldn't be surprising. The leaders of these countries ironically enough are some of the most immoral and corrupt sinners you can find. They indulge in drugs, human trafficking, spousal abuse, gambling, alcohol, fraud, slavery, and every other sin you can think of and have the nerve to preach morals.

They'll have a bad surprise when they die and God is waiting for them...or not, because they know what they're doing is wrong so they either don't really believe and are just pretending, or they just don't care.

Last edited:

nowhat

What's next? Banning popsicles and bananas for men because it looks lewd when you eat them?
I know you jest, but I just read an entry in "Feissarimokat" (it's like "Facebook blunders" translated - I can post a link, but as it's in Finnish it will be nonsensical to most), where someone was criticizing a picture of three kids eating ice cream cones, saying that such behavior in public will attract pedophiles.

And... I got nothing. How can one reach such a conclusion. People are really weird nowadays.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
The world is crazy. Middle east is like 200 years behind, meanwhile Disney gives us magic creatures in the west.

winjer

Gold Member
Those countries are still stuck in the dark ages, so these things are to be expected. Unfortunately.

nbkicker

For me i wish games would just concentrate on the game, rather then adding agendas, sony is the worst for it, nearly all there studios constantly promote pride month or have the rainbow flag in there media pages, i even seen the official uk playstation instagram page post something about pride week and someone posted on it how they maybe should be concentrating on getting more games out then there agendas, and playstation tweeted back that if they didnt like it then go and playstation doesnt need people like them

Kakax11

Banned
For me i wish games would just concentrate on the game, rather then adding agendas, sony is the worst for it, nearly all there studios constantly promote pride month or have the rainbow flag in there media pages, i even seen the official uk playstation instagram page post something about pride week and someone posted on it how they maybe should be concentrating on getting more games out then there agendas, and playstation tweeted back that if they didnt like it then go and playstation doesnt need people like them

their parades are a horror scene for kids and parents so it makes sense to everyone around the world not just ME

Kakax11

Banned
So we moved from "Sony's fault" to "those games don't matter"...

Those games are nowhere near the popularity of Spiderman/FF, i also mentioned CP2077 so it's not only Sony

Also Disney agendas in their movies/shows were banned in ME/AFRICA if that makes you happy

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Stupid for sure but we don't know that whole context, either way probably not enough to be banned just give it a age rating.
More concerning is some of the replies in this thread, I thought I was on Ree for second.

Patrick S.

Banned
What's next? Banning popsicles and bananas for men because it looks lewd when you eat them?
You jest, but here in Germany we've had Syrian immigrants saying women here shouldn't be allowed to eat ice cream in public.

(and they're bullying and hitting girls wearing casual/sexy clothes in schools that have predominantly muslim pupils. The west is FUCKED!)

GymWolf

You jest, but here in Germany we've had Syrian immigrants saying women here shouldn't be allowed to eat ice cream in public.

(and they're bullying and hitting girls wearing casual/sexy clothes in schools that have predominantly muslim pupils. The west is FUCKED!)
Here in italy they invented a new term for women homicide because apparently homicide is sexist or people are too stupid to fully understand the meaning of a feminicide (i shit you not this is how they call em) if it is called homicide.

Omicidio turned into femminidicio, you can't make this shit up...

I feel pity for my nation and for people with children tbh.
This is beyond retarded.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom