• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect 4 details leak through survey

Sounds more like an assassins creed sandbox universe rather than a real shooter/RPG.
Hope at the end is more mass effect than what it sounds. At least I like its some separate galaxy, although by how they are telling things about it, with humans and other franchise aliens in it, isnt that a little bit of a plot hole without mass relays to move those species there?

ironcreed

Banned
rzfMaQW.jpg

This is still my favorite, lol.

shepard_dance.gif

Never gonna happen, that being said all the other races you drag along on the Path Finder mission need saving as well.

I know - I think what I really want is to not have to save anyone. I want to just be. To explore and exist. You can have combat and all that in a non Humanity ending story. It doesn't always have to be the END all the damn time. What I really want is Star Trek I think lol

diaspora

I know - I think what I really want is to not have to save anyone. I want to just be. To explore and exist. You can have combat and all that in a non Humanity ending story. It doesn't always have to be the END all the damn time. What I really want is Star Trek I think lol

I don't really mind as long as the main character is aware of the absurdity of being the savior like in DA2 ("Why is it always 'Hawke to the rescue'?")

I'm sorry, I know waiting till gameplay is shown and all, but ugh, this sounds o MEH at bet and outright fucking terrible at worst.

I mean you want to get away from the Shepard trilogy yet you check off nearly all the same beats as the first trilogy?

Ugh.

Goddammit.

Ralemont

not me
How they balance main story progression will also be key. As much as most of DAIs side content is optional, you still need power to unlock more missions, so you have to do some of it. Even without the power grind DAI has around 30-40 hours of story content, which is more than enough for a mass effect game. I wouldn't be surprised to see very small progression gating requirements, if any.

Wait...pilotable ship? Goddamn, sign me up

iRgVFBS8Axf7G.gif

This too. Probably what I'm most excited about.

They said pilotable Normandy in ME3 so, take it with a grain of salt.

It's a video game and I like being the hero. After all, this is a space opera and I don't want to lose that.

But you can BE a hero of a compelling narrative without it being THE END OF DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYS.

Firefly is an example.

kiguel182

It's a video game and I like being the hero. After all, this is a space opera and I don't want to lose that.

Pretty much.

I don't want a simulation. The first trilogy is a space opera where your decisions have an impact and that's what I liked about it. Being an open world with tons of fetch quests isn't what I'm looking for.

I don't really mind as long as the main character is aware of the absurdity of being the savior like in DA2 ("Why is it always 'Hawke to the rescue'?")

I think I would like it more if we weren't actually a human. We can still be a carbon based bipedal humanoid if you must but do we have to be tied to Earth in another damn Galaxy? It just stretches the Humans are Super Duper Important You Guys and Must Be Saved At All Costs thing that bugs me a little too thin. I guess that is my problem and if that is the narrative structure they want to take then they can.

Ruff

I wonder how they'll explain humanity in a different galaxy. AFAIK humanity was only able to traverse the milky way FTL because of Mass Relays. It even took reapers months to get around when the one they were using to enter our galaxy was destroyed.

diaspora

Pretty much.

I don't want a simulation. The first trilogy is a space opera where your decisions have an impact and that's what I liked about it. Being an open world with tons of fetch quests isn't what I'm looking for.

The decisions you make should have less of an impact lest the story becomes another massive clusterfuck.

I wonder how they'll explain humanity in a different galaxy. AFAIK humanity was only able to traverse the milky way FTL because of Mass Relays. It even took reapers months to get around when the one they were using to enter our galaxy was destroyed.

I imagine the journey will take centuries, and they'll be frozen for the trip.

kiguel182

The decisions you make should have less of an impact lest the story becomes another massive clusterfuck.

If they have less of an impact then I'm not interested. The whole allure of it is that you have an impact on this massive and epic story. That's what I loved about Mass Effect.

Vire

Idk man story wise that sounds pretty boring, its exactly like the original game.
I'm so glad I'm still that special little snowflake who tries to discover the mysterious powers of an ancient race.

/s

The missions also sound incredibly filler and grindy by description, something that I had a huge problem with in Inquisition. I dunno, I love Mass Effect but I can't say I'm thrilled with what I'm hearing.

diaspora

If they have less of an impact then I'm not interested. The whole allure of it is that you have an impact on this massive and epic story. That's what I loved about Mass Effect.

The ability to choose whether to kill/save the Krogan, destroy/synth/control, kill/save the quarians and geth is probably the worst thing about the series. It's why the last game was such a damn mess, they let the players make choices they couldn't reconcile unless they left the damn galaxy behind. This is what makes Thedas as well done as it is, you make choices that shape Thedas, but not choices that fuck you over in future installments.

Jamaro85

Was thinking the same thing just now.

I am guessing there will be some sort of procedural generation.

still, i don't believe it. not until i'm actually cruising on their surfaces in my Mako.

if true, i hope there's still quite a few entirely human-designed planets in there with hidden secrets etc. would be fun to try and find them among all the samey procedurallly generated worlds.

DC1

Sounds like Destiny + DA:I + No Man's Sky had game babies. Will buy although i've never played the first 2.

The first was a really good noval with cluncky game play execution. The story, universe and potential was well placed.

The second was a fantastic organism of game play and lore. The player investment into the characters and interlaced writing was unquestionably superior to what the industry made us accustomed to. Never has the combination of game play execution and writing been implemented quite as well before in gaming media (at the time of ME2 release)

The third was a little hammy.. But with so much invested, absolutely palatable up through the last 30 minutes... Thereafter can only be compared to a small civilized island sinking into the ocean over the course of 24 hour period.
There's is/was nothing that anyone could do but watch and shake their head in disbelief while the intellectual helicopters of truth and reason rescue the remaining residents and pets from the sinking paradise.

All I could do was watch and throw up in my mouth..and get angry and make empty promises that I would never move to a fantasy island again..

Far and removed from the Shepard Arc sounds like a good thing to me. Helps me forget about the horrendous ending(s). I do hope this survey is the real deal. The information from it sounds interesting and has me excited.

The ability to choose whether to kill/save the Krogan, destroy/synth/control, kill/save the quarians and geth is probably the worst thing about the series. It's why the last game was such a damn mess, they let the players make choices they couldn't reconcile unless they left the damn galaxy behind. This is what makes Thedas as well done as it is, you make choices that shape Thedas, but not choices that fuck you over in future installments.

They should've came up with the story and choices for the ENTIRE trilogy rather than just writing it as they went along.

Ruff

I guess. If the Wiki is right and ship FTL drives can travel 12 light-years in a couple of days, it would still take 416,666 days or 1141 years to reach andromeda assuming I didn't mess up the math in my head..

The ability to choose whether to kill/save the Krogan, destroy/synth/control, kill/save the quarians and geth is probably the worst thing about the series. It's why the last game was such a damn mess, they let the players make choices they couldn't reconcile unless they left the damn galaxy behind.

yeah having your crew mates in ME2 be able to die in the suicide run means by definition they cannot play a significant narrative part in the next game because you cannot guarantee they will be in everybody's save file. It was infuriating. Wrex the same thing. Goddamn I love ME1 so much and then yeah....

diaspora

They should've came up with the story and choices for the ENTIRE trilogy rather than just writing it as they went along.

Even if they had, a lot of the biggest choices you're able to make in ME3 weren't choices you should have been able to make as a player in the first place. They don't lend themselves to coherent writing even if you try, unlike things like choosing mages/templars in DA2 and 3.

yeah having your crew mates in ME2 be able to die in the suicide run means by definition they cannot play a significant narrative part in the next game because you cannot guarantee they will be in everybody's save file. It was infuriating. Wrex the same thing. Goddamn I love ME1 so much and then yeah....

Most of ME1's decisions were closer to DA's which is why they were a lot more coherent.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm so glad I'm still that special little snowflake who tries to discover the mysterious powers of an ancient race.

/s

The missions also sound incredibly filler and grindy by description, something that I had a huge problem with in Inquisition. I dunno, I love Mass Effect but I can't say I'm thrilled with what I'm hearing.

I like being a special little snowflake in video games. That is part of the fun, especially in something that is supposed to be a space opera RPG. Hell, I get enough of being a regular Joe in my real life. I want my games to be epic and enthralling and I want my character to feel important, like he/she has a role to play in something huge. But that is just me. *shrugs*

trembli0s

Reading down this list I had a tinge of excitement. Then, shockingly, I realized that I'm still incredibly bitter about how the ending of ME3 was handled, a game I haven't played in 3 years.

It's like someone wrote the Bible and then as Jesus is sitting up on the cross he goes, "Yeah, I'm done with this" and blows up the world. It doesn't change the fact that there was a ton of good in the story, but man, did that ending seriously color the perception of everything which came before. Going up until about the Cerberus base I was pretty much convinced this was my GOAT game.

The problem is any "Remnant" tech is de facto crappy vis-a-vis the Reapers. Because as we know from ME, the Reapers wiped out anyone they deemed advanced enough to use the relays.

I'd rather this game take place in a hard scrabble universe where far-flung enclaves of species are separated by time and space without relays.

Griss

Love the idea of being an explorer looking for new worlds to settle. That has me 100% behind the game immediately.

The Destiny/Ubisandbox stuff sounds less appealing, though, but if implemented well it could be okay. It just needs to be highly auxiliary to a strong main story with well designed core missions. I want a linear story here as well as the ability to explore. They give me that, and this could be very, very special.

Even if they had, a lot of the biggest choices you're able to make in ME3 weren't choices you should have been able to make as a player in the first place. They don't lend themselves to coherent writing even if you try, unlike things like choosing mages/templars in DA2 and 3.

Bioware 101.

DOWN

Banned
Even if this is in another galaxy, I don't see how they can reconcile this game with the me3 endings.
This is an ark sent out before the final Reaper confrontation to give the races another place to survive if the Reapers can't be stopped from taking the Milky Way

diaspora

Bioware 101.

Is it though? The DA team handles your choices fine in DA. Your choices can shape you into a homicidal, sociopathic, tyrant in all 3 games but the general story arc and narrative is locked into place. Your choices can change the state of your legacy but they don't let you decide the fate of entire damn races. Imagine if the series let you wipe out the elves/dwarves. How damn stupid would that be?

Ralemont

not me
The mention of the bubble shield is very exciting. Previous Mass Effects pretty much only implemented team tactics in primer/explosion combos, but this sounds like they are expanding the team gameplay quite a bit.

Is it though? The DA team handles your choices fine in DA. Your choices can shape you into a homicidal, sociopathic, tyrant in all 3 games but the general story arc and narrative is locked into place.

You can have a narrative where you play an important part where you don't decide literally everything about every faction/race/religious affiliation etc etc.

And you can have the level of choice that impacts you in a broad and personal sense without making the game a muddied mess.

Bioware has a tendency of writing itself into a corner with it's bigger RPG's. I really hope they don't end up doing it again for the second ME trilogy (there's gonna be 3, producers loooooooooooove trilogies)

A-V-B

So are the writers for ME3 going anywhere close to this game?

Yes, Mac Walters is leading the charge along with the Halo 4 writer.

If you like grindathons, grind your way to your nearest Origin store.

If you like intelligent plotlines with deep characterization...

"Run, run, run, run! Run, run, run, run! Run! Run! Run! Run!" -Pink Floyd

But wasn't that one of the hooks of the series? It was designed to be a trilogy from the start iirc. The whole, "you make your choices and play out the trilogy the way you want" is what I loved about it. A true RPG, not just stats and grinding. When I capped Mordin in ME3 and told my buddy about it, he was in disbelief because his experience was the complete opposite! I would hope they would continue this trend. People have been saying that it's Mass Effect in name only because it's in another galaxy or whatever..... To me, what makes Mass Effect "Mass Effect" is the ability to customize your own experience to how you see fit, in a future sci fi universe.

That being said, it must be a nightmare for Bioware. Hopefully they learned how to do it easier this time.

Top Bottom