• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect 4 details leak through survey

diaspora

You can have a narrative where you play an important part where you don't decide literally everything about every faction/race/religious affiliation etc etc.

Exactly, I agree! I'm fine with choices, but they need some level of restraint to avoid having again- a clusterfuck.

And you can have the level of choice that impacts you in a broad and personal sense without making the game a muddied mess.

Bioware has a tendency of writing itself into a corner with it's bigger RPG's. I really hope they don't end up doing it again for the second ME trilogy (there's gonna be 3, producers loooooooooooove trilogies)

Both ME1 and the DA trilogy do this well. For all the problems the DA series may have, it handles the choices you make very well on a personal level. Watching
Alistair/ Loghain assert how your DAO Warden can't be trusted if they did the ritual is a good example.

But wasn't that one of the hooks of the series? It was designed to be a trilogy from the start iirc. The whole, "you make your choices and play out the trilogy the way you want" is what I loved about it. A true RPG, not just stats and grinding. When I capped Mordin in ME3 and told my buddy about it, he was in disbelief because his experience was the complete opposite! I would hope they would continue this trend. People have been saying that it's Mass Effect in name only because it's in another galaxy or whatever..... To me, what makes Mass Effect "Mass Effect" is the ability to customize your own experience to how you see fit, in a future sci fi universe.

That being said, it must be a nightmare for Bioware. Hopefully they learned how to do it easier this time.

They let you make choices but didn't think about how it could affect the main story arc, or the universe in future installments. Choices that affect you as a player and the world can be good, but they aren't inherently good.

ironcreed

Banned
What does space opera have to do with it?

Everything. I want my character to be involved in something grand and I will be playing the game to be at the center of said drama. If it is the ancient alien technology thing that you are worried about, then I don't know what to tell you. It is a Mass Effect game.

Ralemont

not me
Yes, Mac Walters is leading the charge along with the Halo 4 writer.

If you like grindathons, grind your way to your nearest Origin store.

If you like intelligent plotlines with deep characterization...

"Run, run, run, run! Run, run, run, run! Run! Run! Run! Run!" -Pink Floyd

Oh, please.

Everything. I want my character to be involved in something grand and I will be playing the game to be at the center of said drama. If it is the ancient alien technology thing that you are worried about, then I don't know what to tell you. It is a Mass Effect game.

there has only been 1 Mass Effect Story though. 1. It had ancient alien tech. Did the 2nd Mass Effect story have to have it too? I think that is what some of us are bummed about.

Heh

5Pjob10.png

I guess. If the Wiki is right and ship FTL drives can travel 12 light-years in a couple of days, it would still take 416,666 days or 1141 years to reach andromeda assuming I didn't mess up the math in my head..

Well you see what happened was this, when the Crucible "detonated" the magical wave that killed/controlled/synthesised the Reapers spread through the galaxy and caught up with the ship heading to Andromeda. When the wave hit the ship something Awesome happened (probably cos someone pressed a button) and the ship was magically catapulted into hyper/super/duper FTF which is short for "faster than fuck" and that is how they managed to get to Andromeda quick smart.

Hm that sounds like some Mac Walter quality writing there, bet that is how they explain it.

diaspora

Old-ass alien civilizations take away from the "humans are special" thing no? There were older and better civilizations before humanity.

Oh, please.

I liked Inquisition but damn if the Halo 4 story wasn't a mess.

Sounds interesting to me. But considering tis series were my favorite games of last gen, I was always on board for this one. No questions asked.

If they write out what the consequence for choices will be in game 2 and game 3 all in advance this time it might work. But you can't just make this crap up as you go game to game. That's a recipe for another terrible ending where the only way out is to Deus Ex Machina your way to a "resolution".

diaspora

Well you see what happened was this, when the Crucible "detonated" the magical wave that killed/controlled/synthesised the Reapers spread through the galaxy and caught up with the ship heading to Andromeda. When the wave hit the ship something Awesome happened (probably cos someone pressed a button) and the ship was magically catapulted into hyper/super/duper FTF which is short for "faster than fuck" and that is how they managed to get to Andromeda quick smart.

Hm that sounds like some Mac Walter quality writing there, bet that is how they explain it.

Alternatively, they could have just froze themselves for 1100 years. Javik was frozen for 50,000.

If they write out what the consequence for choices will be in game 2 and game 3 all in advance this time it might work. But you can't just make this crap up as you go game to game. That's a recipe for another terrible ending where the only way out is to Deus Ex Machina your way to a "resolution".

Agreed. DA would be a better model to follow.

They let you make choices but didn't think about how it could affect the main story arc, or the universe in future installments. Choices that affect you as a player and the world can be good, but they aren't inherently good.

very true. I dont know though, maybe they all thought that once the trilogy was finished they'd do something different? As in, "we've finished this story, let's move on to another one." With your character being dead at the end of it, wasn't that what most people took away from it? I know I did as well as my friends who played it.

A-V-B

Alternatively, they could have just froze themselves for 1100 years. Javik was frozen for 50,000.

Agreed. DA would be a better model to follow.

The actual solution was not to have the Crucible decide the ending at all, and go with the theme of the series, which was uniting the various peoples of the Galaxy into a force just as unstoppable as the Reapers, and watching both sides go to town based on your decisions. That's it.

ironcreed

Banned
there has only been 1 Mass Effect Story though. 1. It had ancient alien tech. Did the 2nd Mass Effect story have to have it too? I think that is what some of us are bummed about.

Well, it is still a new story with new characters and I imagine that it will have all sorts of neat little plot plot twists, so I am not really worried about it. Think of it as being a new threat within the same universe and with a new cast of characters to grow fond of and/or hate on a scale that the series has never seen before. As a fan, I find it quite exciting and am looking forward to a new Mass Effect for the new gen.

diaspora

The actual solution was not to have the Crucible decide the ending at all, and go with the theme of the series, which was uniting the various peoples of the Galaxy into a force just as unstoppable as the Reapers, and watching both sides go to town based on your decisions. That's it.

Yes, and no. Your choices and ability to unite the galaxy should have been how the reapers were beaten but they shouldn't let it decide whether or not entire species live or die- diminished sure, but not total extinction that ME3 played with.

I wonder how they'll explain humanity in a different galaxy. AFAIK humanity was only able to traverse the milky way FTL because of Mass Relays. It even took reapers months to get around when the one they were using to enter our galaxy was destroyed.

More bigger and more complicated mass relays! Or new technology, a wormhole (via interstellar), many possibilities.

Ralemont

not me

Conventional victory is just about the only ending worse than the crucible.

Hard to reconcile uniting the galaxy as the theme given me1's renegade ending as well

diaspora

Conventional victory is just about the only ending worse than the crucible.

Hard to reconcile uniting the galaxy as the theme given me1's renegade ending as well

Unless they were united in renegade tyrant Shepard's iron fist.

SPACE MAGIC

Worm hole isn't bad IMO, probably most likely. Cryo sleep for 1100 years second alternative and my preferred theory. New galaxy and 1100 years away from the ME trilogy.

A-V-B

Well don't leave us hanging and finish the sentence.

Sorry, but if you can't understand my post, I'm not going to compromise my integrity to satisfy you.

(ah, the old feelings are coming back again, but they only amount to a tiny pilot light instead of a cosmic bonfire. That's good to know.)

Sou Da

That would have been just as much of an asspull as the crucible, there is literally no way the galaxy could have practically won unless the Reapers had like 10 in total numbers.

ironcreed

Banned
Old-ass alien civilizations take away from the "humans are special" thing no? There were older and better civilizations before humanity.

But if said ancient race is a threat to other races as well, it is more like 'life' is special and must be protected.

diaspora

But if said ancient race is a threat to other races as well, it is more like 'life' is special and must be protected.

Forerunners? :p

Yet another reason why Control is the correct path.

Uh oh, we are back on the me3 endings again. How about those seamless space to ground transitions eh?

I always roll destroy. I don't care for indoctrination theory but a reaper convincing you not to destroy them seems like the very essence of literal indoctrination.

ah fudge I am still upset they got rid of frictionless materials from ME1 that let you fire near constantly. FUTURE. Then we got clips. MUNDANE. Dammit now I want to play ME1 again for the 5th or 6th time and glory in its Majesty.

diaspora

ah fudge I am still upset they got rid of frictionless materials from ME1 that let you fire near constantly. FUTURE. Then we got clips. MUNDANE. Dammit now I want to play ME1 again for the 5th or 6th time and glory in its Majesty.

Aiming and gunplay were a pain tho

Voidance

Sounds very... busyworkish. Strike teams, fogs of war towers.. is this ubisoft's mass effect? EDIT: and the outposts from Far Cry. ehhhh

ehhhhhhhh
That's what I took from this too. Mass Effect: Inquisition vibes from the whole description and that's not a good thing in my opinion.

I really hope it turns out for the better, though, since I loved the other games despite their flaws.

FoeHammer

So hyped for more ME. I wish they would just announce the god damn remastered collection already! I want to do another playthrough but I keep holding off because I know it's coming.

Aiming and gunplay were a pain tho

Sure but I never play the Soldier class and only have a weapon as back up if my Biotics or Tech Powers can't finish it. Just the concept of Frictionless Materials generating no heat is wonderful in my eyes. Pure Sci Fi magnificence.

diaspora

Can we not have anymore husk-type enemies at least? Robo-zombies were always stupid from day-1.

Sure but I never play the Soldier class and only have a weapon as back up if my Biotics or Tech Powers can't finish it. Just the concept of Frictionless Materials generating no heat is wonderful in my eyes. Pure Sci Fi magnificence.

I was an adept :p

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

So the most boring space opera imaginable. Many better space opera stories dont involve throwing the whole galaxy into turmoil fighting a big bad.

We have plenty of derivative fantasy games out there already doing that.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, Mac Walters is leading the charge along with the Halo 4 writer.

If you like grindathons, grind your way to your nearest Origin store.

If you like intelligent plotlines with deep characterization...

"Run, run, run, run! Run, run, run, run! Run! Run! Run! Run!" -Pink Floyd
I was under the impression that walters had more of a overseeing role, not the duties of an actual writer, let alone the lead. You got any source for this?

AU Tiger

Meh...sounds like more of the same but without the memorable characters (which to be honest, was the main/only reason I played the first 3)

The multiplayer in ME3 is great. Glad to see it returning with improvements.

I hope my GTX 970 will be good enough for this game.

This is probably the last thing you need to worry about. 2016 would be a generous release date window and in all likelihood 2017 will be the earliest you see it.

All in all it sounds like they are playing it really safe. I have no confidence in Mack Walters' ability to write or Casey Hudson's ability to produce so it's hard to register any emotions this far off. About to best I can do is hope for the best, while expecting the worst.

ironcreed

Banned
So the most boring space opera imaginable. Many better space opera stories dont involve throwing the whole galaxy into turmoil fighting a big bad.

But it's a video game and I want to be a hero fighting the big bad. Not being a hero and having something overwhelming to conquer against all odds sounds like the formula for boring to me. But again, that is just how I feel.

It's funny, before I came in here I didn't even think about the possibility that the whole precursor thingy could actually be ancient evil again. I read it more as advanced alien technology that can be used to give your own race a leg up against others.

But this being BioWare, ancent evil it is ... *sigh*

Sou Da

It's funny, before I came in here I didn't even think about the possibility that the whole precursor thingy could actually be ancient evil again. I read it more as advanced alien technology that can be used to give your own race a leg up against others.

But this being BioWare, ancent evil it is ... *sigh*

Am I missing something here? Is this an expectation or was it stated?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
But it's a video game and I want to be a hero fighting the big bad. Not being a hero and having something overwhelming to conquer against all odds sounds like the formula for boring to me. But again, that is just how I feel.

Thats pretty much what you do in most games though. If anything is boring, its that. Faction conflict almost always makes for a more satisfying story, IMO.

ironcreed

Banned
Meh...sounds like more of the same but without the memorable characters (which to be honest, was the main/only reason I played the first 3)

So you already know the details on the new characters? They might be even better for all we know.

The trilogy was great and I love it. But I want a fresh story. Space is a big place and there is plenty of room for shit to be going down elsewhere.

I'd feel content saving my crew or my colony or even as small as my Family. Why its always the end of Humanity I just don't know. Stakes can be personal and small and mean so much to you - I don't need the Save Everyone motivation. Like you that is just how I feel. No one is wrong or right.

Top Bottom