• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect 4 details leak through survey

Sirim

Was doing some math:

If the map is 4X the size of ME 3, and ME3 (for PC) is 10GB wouldn't that come to around 40GB for the new ME (give or take) - does that sound about right?

EDIT: I know the map isn't the full 10 gigs - just theorizing here.
Are you sure it was math that you were doing?

So you already know the details on the new characters? They might be even better for all we know.

The trilogy was great and I love it. But I want a fresh story. Space is a big place and there is plenty of room for shit to be going down elsewhere.
You say you want a fresh story, yet everything you post says you want a derivative story.

Guri

I honestly do not get the Mac Walters hate. He was responsible for writing some of your favourite characters throughout the trilogy (yes, all three games). I agree that some of his choices for ME3 weren't good, but that doesn't make it a rule that everything he does from now on will be crap. ME3 had two years of development, the shortest amount of the whole franchise. And I'm sure he also learnt lessons from his mistakes. Maybe the story will not be good. Maybe it will. But I really don't think it is fair to set all of his future writing as crap.

As for the former Halo 4 writer, I've never played that game. But the same logic applies. Also, different studio, different team, different franchise, different narrative designers. It's better to give them the benefit of doubt.

Along the way, you will encounter the remains of a once powerful and mysterious alien race, the Remnant, whose forgotten technology holds the key to gaining power in this region of the galaxy. As you uncover who the Remnant were, and the mysteries their ruins contain, you are drawn into a violent race to find the source of their forgotten technology that will determine the fate of humanity.

So basically Protheans... Well, I liked the concept of the Protheans in the original trilogy, even if it is a trope, so I'm sure I'll be fine with this.

As you pilot your space ship, Tempest, across the 100s of solar systems that are seamlessly connected in the next Mass Effect, you will encounter new planets filled with valuable resources, intelligent life, conflict, and alien technology that all give you opportunities to increase the power of your character, your ship and your team so that you can build them into a force that perfectly suits your gameplay style. Transitions between activities, like flying your Tempest (space ship) across a solar system to land on a mineral rich planet, then jumping into your Mako (land vehicle) to explore the surface of planet, all happen smoothly without loading screens.

Please, please, PLEASE do not make us have to do that planet scanning garbage from ME2 and 3. That shit isn't fun in the slightest. At least make it like ME1: press a button and done. Unfortunately, it also looks like they will be bringing back mineral deposits on landable from ME1 as well.

Other than that, this part sounds great. One of my favorite things about Mass Effect was going is going around finding new systems and planets and reading the descriptions about them. The little backstories some of the planets have are actually really interesting. I read the description for every planet in every Mass Effect game, so I really hope they keep this aspect.

Remnant Vault Raids: Find and activate Remnant Monoliths to unlock Remnant vaults. Explore abandoned Remnant ruins...

Optional Elite Remnant Vault Raids are scattered around the Helius Cluster located in special orbital facilities that are unlocked by Star Keys.

As you explore planets throughout the Helius Cluster, you will encounter Khet Outposts. These outposts are optional combat experiences where you enter the outpost and fight off waves of enemies.

While these all sound cool, they also seem formulaic. I hope these, along with the resource collecting and strike teams don't make up all of the side quests, because I can see it getting really stale. I hope they also give us more unique side quests ala Mass Effect 2.

--

So I think some of this sounds great, but at the same time, some of it is kind of worrying. A lot of it is starting to sound like DA: Inquisition, which from what I've heard (haven't played it yet), is extremely repetitive outside of the main story. And I don't like that, as one of my favorite things about ME was roaming the galaxy doing side missions.

wolfhowwl

Banned
Mass Effect 1 had its problems, but none of those problems involved Inquisition-type "strike teams," unlockable fog-of-war maps, or F2P currencies.

ME1 didn't have those mechanics bolted on top but the actual side content was probably just as shallow and repetitive (along with a nasty dose of dungeon reuse).

ME1 didn't have those mechanics bolted on top but the actual side content was probably just as shallow and repetitive (along with a nasty dose of dungeon reuse).

Which they completely improved upon in ME2. The side content in 2 was great and most, if not all, missions were unique.

Mindlog

Sounds fun.
Everyone has a quibble. Mine is with that colonization angle. I hope the timeframe isn't even more compressed than the first Mass Effect game. The explosion in firmly established colonies seemed about a generation too quick even supposing other factors and using the modernization of China as an example.

Hopefully they thought of that and when establishing a colony it's initially just a landed ship.

Also, this sounds like a fun setup for a great 4X TBS/RTS.
Come on EA!
:\

Sounds about right with all the rumours that have popped up previously.

Really dont want another All Story about finding the secret behind some ancient aliens again though.

Tookay

Yeah. That sounds reasonable, and is along the lines of what I was thinking.

Also, can we all stop saying "special snowflake"?

We'd rather the protagonist be a "nobody"?

And the complaints about the prospective antagonists are overblown considering we still know very little. I'm sure we'll find out more before long.

Not necessarily a nobody, but someone who has moderately-sized adventures with more personal stakes and solves more-nuanced disputes between groups, with outcomes that can actually relay over from game to game...

NOT somebody who is some super badass fighter, leader of strike teams across the galaxy, director of human colonization, and eventual savior of humanity against a genocidal threat.

That "stakes escalation" has infected nearly every AAA project these days to desperately pander to the mass market's power fantasies and has gotten beyond comical at this point.

A-V-B

I honestly do not get the Mac Walters hate. He was responsible for writing some of your favourite characters throughout the trilogy (yes, all three games). I agree that some of his choices for ME3 weren't good, but that doesn't make it a rule that everything he does from now on will be crap. ME3 had two years of development, the shortest amount of the whole franchise. And I'm sure he also learnt lessons from his mistakes. Maybe the story will not be good. Maybe it will. But I really don't think it is fair to set all of his future writing as crap.

As for the former Halo 4 writer, I've never played that game. But the same logic applies. Also, different studio, different team, different franchise, different narrative designers. It's better to give them the benefit of doubt.

Or at least don't blindly pre-order. Instead, wait for the common reaction, read forums for opinions from many people, and overall give it time to simmer. If it's truly worth playing on day one, it will also be thus on day 10. Likewise, if it is not.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Going by the fact it's set in another galaxy and apparently set post trilogy, distant from both the story arc and the ending, combined with BioWare's insistence on "choices are important" and likelihood of not wanting to canonise any ending, along with the Pathfinder Initiative ARKCON shirts BioWare Montreal got...

B2WStWBCEAACpvO.jpg

...my plot theory is the one that aligns with, surprisingly enough, what a lot of fans were asking for from a post trilogy game.

Sometime during the events of Mass Effect 3, or any time in the trilogy before it ends, a settlement "Ark" ship is constructed with the aim of prolonging survival for participating species elsewhere in the universe should the Reaper war turn in the latter's favour, or a post-war environment proves unsustainable.

ARKCON Pathfinder crew are packed in a ship built for long term space travel, crew maybe in cryo, and jettisoned off to the Andromeda galaxy. Their mission simply to attempt to colonise it, basically a one way journey into the unknown, also knowing that by the time they arrive the Reaper war will be over one way or the other. And nobody on the mission will know the result.

And so you have a game that's canonically post-Reaper war by a significant amount of time. Post-Shepard Trilogy. Yet due to the timing of the mission (before the war comes to its conclusion) also manages to avoid ramifications of much of what happens during Mass Effect 3. You can have Krogan that technically still have the genophage. You can have synthetics that aren't destroyed. Nobody needs to have glowing green wires. No species needs to be wiped out. And since the game's setting is so far away in literal space, the inability to contact the Milky Way and nobody knowing the war outcome means nobody can ask questions.

Sirim

Yeah. That sounds reasonable, and is along the lines of what I was thinking.

Also, can we all stop saying "special snowflake"?

We'd rather the protagonist be a "nobody"?

And the complaints about the prospective antagonists are overblown considering we still know very little. I'm sure we'll find out more before long.
Everyone who's not Jesus is a nobody confirmed.

Gaz_RB

Sounds absolutely amazing. My dream game even. Hearing that the ship is pilotable and the transition from space to ground is seamless makes me want to put myself into cryosleep until ME4 comes out.

diaspora

Going by the fact it's set in another galaxy and apparently set post trilogy, distant from both the story arc and the ending, combined with BioWare's insistence on "choices are important" and likelihood of not wanting to canonise any ending, along with the Pathfinder Initiative ARKCON shirts BioWare Montreal got...

B2WStWBCEAACpvO.jpg

...my plot theory is the one that aligns with, surprisingly enough, what a lot of fans were asking for from a post trilogy game.

Sometime during the events of Mass Effect 3, or any time in the trilogy before it ends, a settlement "Ark" ship is constructed with the aim of prolonging survival for participating species elsewhere in the universe should the Reaper war turn in the latter's favour, or a post-war environment proves unsustainable.

ARKCON Pathfinder crew are packed in a ship built for long term space travel, crew maybe in cryo, and jettisoned off to the Andromeda galaxy. Their mission simply to attempt to colonise it, basically a one way journey into the unknown, also knowing that by the time they arrive the Reaper war will be over one way or the other. And nobody on the mission will know the result.

And so you have a game that's canonically post-Reaper war by a significant amount of time. Post-Shepard Trilogy. Yet due to the timing of the mission (before the war comes to its conclusion) also manages to avoid ramifications of much of what happens during Mass Effect 3. You can have Krogan that technically still have the genophage. You can have synthetics that aren't destroyed. Nobody needs to have glowing green wires. No species needs to be wiped out. And since the game's setting is so far away in literal space, the inability to contact the Milky Way and nobody knowing the war outcome means nobody can ask questions.
This is, by far the best possible scenario this game can run with, and I do hope you're right.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

B2WStWBCEAACpvO.jpg

Yup.

We twitter thread folk were right, I think. I'm sure GAF's community was on the ball, too, but I'm new here. I recall you and I (and like 20 other fine lads and lasses) going on about the ark ship theory ages ago, though.

Sounds absolutely amazing. My dream game even. Hearing that the ship is pilotable and the transition from space to ground is seamless makes me want to put myself into cryosleep until ME4 comes out.

I'm guessing this just means the same as it did with the normandy. There is probably not going to be any ship against ship action or flying around.

Gaz_RB

I'm guessing this just means the same as it did with the normandy. There is probably not going to be any ship against ship action or flying around.

"Tempest Starship: Pilotable ship to discover 100s of solar systems. Customisable with trophies/loot/photos taken through the galaxy. Transition between flying ship, to landing on planet, to driving Mako, to getting out on foot, all seamless with no loading screens."

This leads me to believe that you can fly the ship and land it on a planet. But maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
There's more potential to the planet analysis with the more powerful consoles. I'd just like to see more to the side areas like DA:I had. Instead I'd like actual places to go to and people to interact with. DA;I felt like you were racing around destroying rift crystals and that was it. I'd like to knock some alien forest trees down and find some exotic weapon or something. That might be more than ME is at the moment. I'd like an ME where it feels like you're exploring space beyond capturing minerals.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yup.

We twitter thread folk were right, I think. I'm sure GAF's community was on the ball, too, but I'm new here. I recall you and I (and like 20 other fine lads and lasses) going on about the ark ship theory ages ago, though.

I was vocally against it purely because I wanted them to canonise an ending and set it in the Milky Way, but yeah, the theory was if BioWare was going to make a post-trilogy game and refused to canonise any galaxy state, the Ark-to-new-galaxy premise was about the only logical thing remaining.

Sotha_Sil

Sounds exciting, but I'd rather see the exploration cut down to a manageable number of handcraft planets instead of looking at "hundreds".

Then you can make each planet really worthwhile and unique.

wolfhowwl

Banned

B2WStWBCEAACpvO.jpg

Why would you invite Krogan with you?

Seems like something you would want to leave behind and the weight on the space ship could be used for more productive things like 4,000 light years worth of beer.

hydruxo

B2WStWBCEAACpvO.jpg

I hope this is in fact the route they're going. Could really be something special.

I was about 2 hours into Mass Effect 3 when I stopped. Started playing it after the complaints about the ending. Find it tough to start playing it again after knowing how many people disliked the game.

I also want to share that it was mentioned to me that being able to focus solely on PS4, Xbox One and PC has probably had the biggest impact in terms of design and possibilities of the game. Dragon Age Inquisition was held back considerably to accommodate 10 year old hardware (as noted not too long ago by Mike Laidlaw himself). That is most certainly not the case here, and honestly what has me excited the most.

friday

I like where all this is pointing to. If they use what was developed in DA:I but make it less generic I think it will be a great game. Obviously the 100's of planets won't be super unique or exciting all the time, but the shamelessness of exploration sounds really good.

Sounds exciting, but I'd rather see the exploration cut down to a manageable number of handcraft planets instead of looking at "hundreds".

Then you can make each planet really worthwhile and unique.

Well they are conveying the sense of traveling to a new a galaxy that you are colonizing. I guess then the expectation is that you can visit hundreds of different worlds. More than likely though there will be several stockplie of landscapes reused and reworked to give a sense of many planets to explore, similar to ME1.

Sou Da

I also want to share that it was mentioned to me that being able to focus solely on PS4, Xbox One and PC has probably had the biggest impact in terms of design and possibilities of the game. Dragon Age Inquisition was held back considerably to accommodate 10 year hardware (as noted not too long ago by Mike Laidlaw himself). That is most certainly not the case here, and honestly what has me excited the most.

Ok shinobi reel it in a bit.

These information are juste awesome if true but even if not, I believe in Bioware to make an awesome next gen Mass Effect.

Meanwhile Mass Effect Trilogy on next gen please.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I was vocally against it purely because I wanted them to canonise an ending and set it in the Milky Way, but yeah, the theory was if BioWare was going to make a post-trilogy game and refused to canonise any galaxy state, the Ark-to-new-galaxy premise was about the only logical thing remaining.

Yeah, heh. That's the thing, they can't vehemently sidestep the elephant in the room otherwise without it feeling innately contrived. Ark theory is one gargantuan sidestep in and of itself, and anyone playing who has even a lingering awareness of ME3 is going to detect that from the get-go, but at least it grants its characters a legitimate excuse for not talking about how things went down: they have no earthly idea.

There's always the possibility we're wrong and the Pathfinder Initiative won't launch until centuries past the war, though. Either way I'm honestly pretty excited about a new galaxy, but I know opinions on the very idea of it are highly mixed.

diaspora

I also want to share that it was mentioned to me that being able to focus solely on PS4, Xbox One and PC has probably had the biggest impact in terms of design and possibilities of the game. Dragon Age Inquisition was held back considerably to accommodate 10 year hardware (as noted not too long ago by Mike Laidlaw himself). That is most certainly not the case here, and honestly what has me excited the most.
You're killing me here. Hopefully we won't have to wait until 2017, that's a 5 year wait from ME3.

A-V-B

Yeah, heh. That's the thing, they can't vehemently sidestep the elephant in the room otherwise without it feeling innately contrived. Ark theory is one gargantuan sidestep in and of itself, and anyone playing who has even a lingering awareness of ME3 is going to detect that from the get-go, but at least it grants its characters a legitimate excuse for not talking about how things went down: they have no earthly idea.

There's always the possibility we're wrong and the Pathfinder Initiative won't launch until centuries past the war, though. Either way I'm honestly pretty excited about a new galaxy, but I know opinions on the very idea of it are highly mixed.

New trilogy ends with beings made of pure light from Milky Way coming to enlighten our unevolved characters, har har.

Top Bottom