• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft making another Xbox One controller aimed for the "hardcore"

I'm interested in knowing if this would work on consoles with the Titan One. Could be awesome.

i think it was krejlooc who was saying he was hard pressed to find something the controller hadnt worked with yet?

he used it on a sega saturn or something

dont quote me on that i may have been drunk

x-Lundz-x

I like the xb1 controller even though I prefer the DS4. I wonder if they will be adding things like an led display or something. Think a vita but in controller form?

Return of Back and Start buttons?!

Anyway, the Xbox One controller quickly became one of my favorites. I have zero issues with it.

thelastword

Banned
So MS misread their target demographic? I've never seen a company turn so hard so fast on their vision. MS banked so hard on Kinect and promised so much with it. You would have thought an xbone would be worthless without it.

Symmetrical sticks

Here we go
That will never happen on an Xbox controller. Never. It's their signature!

Besides symmetrical sticks on top has been claimed by Nintendo and symmetrical sticks below has been claimed by Sony since 1998 so yeah. I'm not betting on that to change.

USC-fan

Banned
I would just like a x360 controller with:
-improve dpad
-xbone triggers
-wireless charging with rechargeable battery
-standard headset port
-share button
-speaker
-work out the box with PC

DO THIS! i just saved you another $100 million MS

Akai__

Improved Bumpers and a Select Button that actually doesn't need to be pushed all the way in is all I need.

Maybe make a real wired controller and add a coupple of buttons for screenshots/Game DVR, but that's not my priority.

I'm actually scared of what their understanding of "Hardcore" is...

big_z

One of the prototype xbone controllers had interchangeable button/analog stick sockets. It would allow you to change the controller layout or even use custom part designs. It would have been too expensive for mass production but for a specialty device it makes sense.

Rocketz

I really like the controller now so I have no real need for a "hardcore" one. Maybe with a headphone jack built in but I already have 2 adaptors so I'm set really.

gunner13

Neo Member
My guess is the thumb sticks will be longer to emulate the benefits of "Control Freaks" toppers, since those are a distinct benefit for FPS's.

If this is just a standard gamepad rebrand with minor tweaks then I fail to see the point. However, a brand new design aimed at FPS sounds intriguing. The driving game controller seems obvious = a next-gen, half-way affordable wheel that doesn't suck.

Edit: I'd also take just the 360 controller made compatible with the Xbone...with a better d-pad of course. ;)

Analogue triggers using gears and springs (like 360) rather than a sponge please.
Could someone explain to me briefly what's so wrong about the X1 bumpers? I haven't used an Xbone too much but I thought they were fine.

Also, I thought all the complaints about Microsoft Dpads went away with this new one! It's an already way better Dpad than the 360's!

Yudoken

This is as hardcore as it's gets.
31D8MFQDAML.jpg

FStop7

Banned
I really like the Xbone controller. Maybe more than the DS4. It's close. The trigger rumble is cool. And I definitely prefer the XB1 controller's sticks.

Besides symmetrical sticks on top has been claimed by Nintendo and symmetrical sticks below has been claimed by Sony since 1998 so yeah. I'm not betting on that to change.

Symmetrical sticks...
behind

How can they improve upon the best controller on the market? Paddles or extra buttons would be interesting to see, but I wouldn't pay to upgrade for that alone. If they increased the trigger resistance a little I could see it benefiting racers, but not to the point of the PS4 triggers those are too stiff.

Could someone explain to me briefly what's so wrong about the X1 bumpers? I haven't used an Xbone too much but I thought they were fine.

Also, I thought all the complaints about Microsoft Dpads went away with this new one! It's an already way better Dpad than the 360's!
The bumpers were awkward at first, because if where they click and how they clicked compared to the 360. But I haven't have a problem after spending lots of time with the controller. Hell, I played through all of the Halo 5 beta with bumper jumper and I didn't once have an issue with left bumper.

The only thing that ever bothered me was pressing both for supers in destiny, but that was corrected once I switched to bamper jamper.

LilJoka

I was referring to triggers, bumpers have an issue where you have to press them at a particular spot, else they wont click.

The triggers are now much cheaper, and use a spring and sponge like the DS3.

On the 360 you get a nice tension and perfect linear response which is amazing for driving games. The potentiometer uses a set of gears inside which give it this feel.

Pimpbaa

I just want a controller not prone to interference. I don't get controller disconnects like some get, but the stereo headset adapter is damn near useless to me.

Time for symmetrical sticks underneath.

I honestly don't believe this for a second. They spent all that time talking up the new controller and all that money, and they're going to make a new one? I just don't belive it. It could certainly use some improvements, but it seems so unlikely.

I'm expecting something along the lines of what Scuf offers, buttons on the back so you can hit the ABXY buttons without moving your right thumb off the analog stick. Maybe a share type button as well.

the bumpers are fine
the batteries are fine (why the hell would I want to go wired once my batteries die when I could swap to a new pair?)
I don't play fighting games, but the dpad is great for everything else

I honestly don't believe this for a second. They spent all that time talking up the new controller and all that money, and they're going to make a new one? I just don't belive it. It could certainly use some improvements, but it seems so unlikely.

Maybe. But MS did do this with the first Xbox.

Wonko_C

So six face buttons and a Saturn-like d-pad, right? I mean it's a controller redesign for hardcore gamers! I'm a hardcore fighting gamer! right? right?

I know, it's never gonna happen.

If people have told MS they want it on the feedback site, then they'll at least look at it. If they do release a new controller, i'd get it so they're making money off me they wouldnt otherwise.

It would make sense if the demand is there, they did do another 360 controller with a new d-pad... and the controller S on the OG Xbox

If people have told MS they want it on the feedback site, then they'll at least look at it. If they do release a new controller, i'd get it so they're making money off me they wouldnt otherwise.

It would make sense if the demand is there, they did do another 360 controller with a new d-pad... and the controller S on the OG Xbox

Sure, they'll catch s couple extra buyers, but there's a cost to r&ding and producing a second product line, not to mention actual support for whatever the changes if they're meaningful.

The other examples are true, but the OG Xbox controller was huge, and caused a fair amount of issues as a result. As for the D-pad change, I don't know that I ever actually saw one of those in the wild, so I'm betting it was fairly limited to its creation. Like I said, it could use improvement in a few areas, but they talked it up so much that I find it hard to believe they'd change it. Of course, this gen has been full of that though, so who knows...

Top Bottom