• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft making another Xbox One controller aimed for the "hardcore"

Justinh

?

b36157g0.jpg

Ho Boy, I remember back when I wwebsite as on the internet. Good times...

I absolutely love the Xbone controller. I do think there could be some good from this though.

Surprised no one has asked for better A,B,X, Y buttons. For me they feel too spongy and creaky. I'd like them to see be more clicky like the Razer Xbox Controller. Speaking of Razer, what happened to their X1 controller?

The face buttons on the Razer Onza were great. If they took those clicky buttons and did some adjustable resistance sticks, it'd be great-great and I'd like it a lot-lot.

also, I'm so on board with the Saturn D-pad gettin' in there. Get in there

MilkyJoe

Is this like some compensation for the 20% increase with DirectX 12 kerfuffle...

How about you just leave the fecking controller as it is and put the money into what is needed.. Some fecking games?

What are they going to do? Add buttons? track balls?

Monkey wrestling?

ZZ1DDEDD78.jpg

Castef

Banned
Microsoft! Make one with 6 aligned buttons, Saturn-style!

That would be perfect for Killer Instinct and Street F... oh. Oh! Wait...

EGM1966

I like the idea of having different options (would be nice on all consoles really) but I'd be surprised is MS actually market or come out openly with the view this is for the hardcore FPS/Xbox gamer and straight up (by implication) say the current controller therefore isn't.

I'm guessing they'll look to release and market such it seems a sensible compliment for a certain demographic or niche without undermining what they have.

Mind you I guess they did remove Kinect without a pause without overly worrying about those with the device vs the growing install base without it.

Gowans

Isnt there a popular controller with the face buttons duplicated on the back so you dont need to take your fingers off the sticks and triggers?

Its always interested me.

GavinGT

Banned
Configuration A: When you play first person shooters, most of the time you have both thumbs on the analog sticks and your index fingers on the triggers.
Configuration B: When playing 2D games, you have one thumb on the d-pad and the other on the face buttons.

In both cases, your hands are held in a symmetrical position when using a DualShock controller. Which makes sense, because our hands are symmetrical.

The left stick is being held forward 90% of the time, while the right stick is only used for slight adjustments here and there. That's why people complain about the left stick position on the Dualshock - they find it awkward to hold the left stick forward for long periods of time. This becomes even more of a problem when the joysticks have a crappy texture like the DS4's. I find my left thumb slipping out of position constantly even after installing Xbox One joysticks, which never happens on my Xbox One controller. So the position is clearly the problem for me.

MilkyJoe

Configuration A: When you play first person shooters, most of the time you have both thumbs on the analog sticks and your index fingers on the triggers.
Configuration B: When playing 2D games, you have one thumb on the d-pad and the other on the face buttons.

In both cases, your hands are held in a symmetrical position when using a DualShock controller. Which makes sense, because our hands are symmetrical.

Upfront is more comfortable for a shooter, even Sony know that

http://vr-zone.com/articles/sony-considered-xbox-like-design-ps4-controller/61295.html

“At the very start, we were thinking of drastically changing the controller,” Aoki said in an interview with GamesBeat. “So we made, I don’t know, more than 20 prototypes. Some had no buttons, just touch panels. Some were rounded. All this crazy stuff.”

“For the analog sticks, we did test having the analog sticks on top, since the Xbox has the left side on top [above the D-pad],” he continued.

Aoki explained that during play testing the teams testing the Xbox-like controller with FPS games gave very positive feedback.

“[The teams] knew that consumers liked the 360 for shooters,” he said.

in the end, however, tradition won out over innovation

Sony did licence this, however...

hori-pad-4-fps-black-344485.7.jpg

Gator86

Just fix the fucking bumpers and I'll buy 2.

That's all I ask.

Yup, I actually like the Xbone controller way more than I thought I would so I wouldn't change much. The current bumpers are trash and it's insane the controller still runs on AA batteries like it's 1990. Other than that, it's pretty great.

Kindekuma

Banned
I hope the L/R buttons are fixed, triggers are fine with me but I just get no feed back that I ever really pressed the shoulder buttons.

VGA222

Banned
Sony need a new controller more than Microsoft do. I wouldn't mind an official controller similar to a scuff controller though.

Fox Mulder

Significantly worse than internal.

Unless this new contoller has a dock that charges aa without having to never remove batteries. Completely stupid to use AA in 2015.

It should have internal battery with wireless charging built in.

Nope.

Takes me two seconds to swap fresh recharged AA's and keep going without having a second controller or cord.

I hope not too. I'll never understand why people would prefer the inconvenience of plugging a cable in to charge your controller when you're gaming, rather than just swap out some rechargeable batteries; which are also cheap to replace if needs be.

Really plugging in a cable is more inconvenient having to buy and swap out batteries? AA/AAA batteries are an anachronism in modern day society. Internal and rechargeable any day.

Caffeine

I have already went with a 3rd party company battle beaver to make a better controller than microsoft originally did, 360 equivalent stick tension, trigger stops, extra buttons on the bottom.

So hardcore huh... Well they say dark souls is hardcore, that game is impossible to play, so making games impossible to play is hardcore.... new kinect incoming.

So this is looking more likely. Told friend I wanna get a new controller and he said wait till next week. (friend is employed with some company that may make video games)

Top Bottom