• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Microsoft to cut many jobs, including Xbox EU marketing (could reach 12K cuts)

You don't get them.

Well, that really is determined by the deal you have. If you're a "good leaver" as defined by your deal, its possible you get some percentage of the unvested stocks. However I'm not at all familiar with this situation to comment if that is the case here.

Edit: beaten :)

Well, that really is determined by the deal you have. If you're a "good leaver" as defined by your deal, its possible you get some percentage of the unvested stocks. However I'm not at all familiar with this situation to comment if that is the case here.

Edit: beaten :)

Oh ok - good to know :) Hopefully I won't find out first hand!

Microsoft doesn't know how compete with a company. Microsoft buys a company because they have a lot of cash. Microsoft fires employees of the company in a said country and replaces them with their own employees who know nothing about local markets. That's how it's been going on for decades. Next time when you wonder why we don't love Microsoft in Europe, don't even think about consoles. It has nothing to do with them.

I think you might be on to something here...;)

but but but....haven't you heard? People losing their jobs is always a terrible and awful thing, even if they were awful at it and caused a lot of damage.

Right, because all 12 thousand people have been verifiably "bad" at their jobs based on some non-existent metric. I love how some people ignorantly become apologists for what is more often than not simply a way to bolster share-value.

Large mass firings, AKA "restructures", rarely if ever have anything to do with actual individual or product/company performance. Its all about keeping earnings per share higher over the next fiscal year.

If you want to fire someone directly linked to product performance better to take a look at executive talking heads who make millions of dollars/euros to implement the large scale strategies (like the Xbone hardware design compromises in favor of Kinect 2.0). The worker bee cubicle drones are usually just doing what they are told ("turn this piss into lemonade and sell it!") from on high and keeping their heads down so they can put food on the table and maybe send their kids to college.

MS stock is at a 14 year high right now. Big gain today.

Exactly. This is the primary reason firings of this magnitude occur. The secondary reason is akin to why a new coach or general manager of a sports franchise cleans house and restructures things when they come in...they want to do things which, at least on paper, make it appear that the organization is being run better than when the last guy was in charge.

So, yeah, basically firing 12 thousand people makes share prices go up for awhile, helps some large scale investors make a quick extra few mil short-selling, makes Wall Street happy because cost of labor is their number one enemy, and at least for awhile makes it look like Satya is going to do "real things" to better justify his bloated salary than did Ballmer.

Business itself is a game, people. ;)

Raoh

Xbox Go Home... Your Fired..

Microsoft doesn't know how compete with a company. Microsoft buys a company because they have a lot of cash. Microsoft fires employees of the company in a said country and replaces them with their own employees who know nothing about local markets. That's how it's been going on for decades. Next time when you wonder why we don't love Microsoft in Europe, don't even think about consoles. It has nothing to do with them.

This. Has been the case for years. MS hasn't done anything worthwhile in house that actually launched and succeeded in decades. They make their money off of licenses/patents and buying out the competitions competition.

Net income of 21.86 billion in 2013 and they have to cut jobs? Makes total sense.

One thing I hate about big corporations. Billions in profits, but if anything goes wrong, jobs are lost first.

Top Bottom