• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Midori (SEGA/Atlus leaker) claims that Persona 6 will still take place in high school

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
How would a different setting even work?
Adults basically don’t have time off in Japan, especially in the big cities. How would they implement social links and skill growth? All you could do would be to go out for booze and karaoke after a long day’s work, and maybe do some home gardening. Dating? Good luck.

The characters being teenagers is essential to the formula’s inner workings as we know it today. The day-to-day gameplay revolves around having free time and people and places to learn in your free time. Like A Dragon’s protagonist doesn’t exactly have a daily job.

damidu

easy pass, though i was never into the series anyway.
hours long visual novel type tutorial sections and insufferable highschool drama blocked me each time i tried.

Last edited:

DrFigs

How would a different setting even work?
Adults basically don’t have time off in Japan, especially in the big cities. How would they implement social links and skill growth? All you could do would be to go out for booze and karaoke after a long day’s work, and maybe do some home gardening. Dating? Good luck.

The characters being teenagers is essential to the formula’s inner workings as we know it today. The day-to-day gameplay revolves around having free time and people and places to learn in your free time. Like A Dragon’s protagonist doesn’t exactly have a daily job.
how is that different from current persona games where school is basically year round, and all the dungeon exploring/social links happens in the afternoons?

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
how is that different from current persona games where school is basically year round, and all the dungeon exploring/social links happens in the afternoons?
… they have free time in the afternoon, and school trips and vacations.

High school is a perfect setting for socializing and learning skills via clubs, labs, school trips, etc. Ain’t no employed Japanese adult with that kind of freedom.

StereoVsn

… they have free time in the afternoon, and school trips and vacations.

High school is a perfect setting for socializing and learning skills via clubs, labs, school trips, etc. Ain’t no employed Japanese adult with that kind of freedom.
College would be fine as it is a very similar setting from the perspective of free time to an extent.

Plus since characters are older and more mature, you can write better characters who aren’t as one dimensional and don’t need to follow the usual “shitty adults” plot line.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think they'd announce it at the PlayStation conference. I honestly can't remember the last time an Atlus game was announced at a Sony event . Maybe at Nintendo's, if Persona 6 ends up being a launch title for the Switch successor.
It is also possible that they will make their own event and just like usual it will be Japan specific one or something.

Sensei

It is also possible that they will make their own event and just like usual it will be Japan specific one or something.
I hope not. Persona isn't a niche series anymore, considering that Persona 5 sold over 10 million copies just last year. This time they have to release it worldwide at the same time, so the marketing has to target a global audience as well.

Anyway, time will tell. I just hope they'll release some official info soon.

Madonis

People seem to like the whole high school sim / dating sim aspect, so that continuing is to be expected.

I'd personally prefer if at least they moved on to college, where the characters could still have a lot of similar social activities without making everyone so young.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

People seem to like the whole high school sim / dating sim aspect, so that continuing is to be expected.

I'd personally prefer if at least they moved on to college, where the characters could still have a lot of similar social activities without making everyone so young.
Yep, plus you have a wider range of activities since you have young adults now. Make the characters 20 and then social links can be inside an Izakaya. 😉

Top Bottom