• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor Mill (TAKE WITH GRAIN OF SALT): Marvel vs Capcom 4 revealing at PSX/Capcom Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Less Street Fighter characters, more
Wasn't he left out because Marvel wasn't big on their guys getting gender-bent & the females being made hotter?

Even with the movie situation I have a hard time seeing no Xmen characters get in, same with Deadpool.

Also I wouldn't be prediciting 50 character rosters, I'd expect like 20-30 at launch with plans to add more ala SF5 and KI3. Perhaps characters would come in pairs ie first dlc set is Jill and Shuma like we saw in mvc3.
I don't think Capcom would have a choice if the ban was still in effect when the deal was made. Pretty much every game made around that time got screwed over.

As for the roster count, I'm thinking 36-38 would be the launch roster. I was just being optimistic.

Even with the movie situation I have a hard time seeing no Xmen characters get in, same with Deadpool.

Also I wouldn't be prediciting 50 character rosters, I'd expect like 20-30 at launch with plans to add more ala SF5 and KI3. Perhaps characters would come in pairs ie first dlc set is Jill and Shuma like we saw in mvc3.
Yeah it's not like they'd have to negotiate the rights to the characters or something. Just make sure the likenesses go hard on the comic aspect, not like Wolverine looks anything like the movie version (well, maybe Logan does)

If only Psylocke's film version wasn't so bizarrely on point :'(

Neoxon

Not interested in anything marvel until they start respecting the X-Men again
Marvel's actually starting to, but it may not take effect until sometime next year (hopefully Capcom gets through in time if MvC4 is happening).

Yeah it's not like they'd have to negotiate the rights to the characters or something. Just make sure the likenesses go hard on the comic aspect, not like Wolverine looks anything like the movie version (well, maybe Logan does)

If only Psylocke's film version wasn't so bizarrely on point :'(
That's not the issue. When the ban started, Marvel Entertainment didn't want to advertise Fox material point-blank, comic version or movie version.

Jawmuncher

Wasn't he left out because Marvel wasn't big on their guys getting gender-bent & the females being made hotter?

I don't think Capcom would have a choice if the ban was still in effect when the deal was made. Pretty much every game made around that time got screwed over.

As for the roster count, I'm thinking 36-38 would be the launch roster. I was just being optimistic.

If they learned from SFV. Either a bigger roster, or a full on story mode will be at launch I'd guess.

Sponge

Banned
Honestly if this is really happening I feel like it's a good time to revive the series. Ever since Killer Instinct came out people have been following it's business model of adding characters overtime. Imagine if MvC4 did that.

nachum00

Seriously. Give us more Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, Star Gladiator, and Cyberbots characters.

Please no SFV reps, all the new characters are terrible. But I know they're gonna have one and either Necalli or Rashid would work best in mvc.

Skab

Even if that was true, they could just not put that super in.

Also I don't even necessarily mean Demitri specifically, I just wan't more, or even different Darkstalkers characters :[

Capcom has such a deep pool of fighting game characters, and they should use more of them.

Neoxon

If they learned from SFV. Either a bigger roster, or a full on story mode will be at launch I'd guess.
Fighting games don't usually start with huge rosters without some kind of sacrifice (see KoFXIV's less-than-stellar models) or recycling old assets. But I could see Capcom getting the cinematic story mode ready for launch.

In terms of who I potentially want, I think Capcom really needs to dive deeper into their stable. Give me X instead of MegaMan, someone from the BoF series, Samanosuke from Onimusha, and the Ghost Trick detective.

JP

Rather than a new game, could this not be Street Fighter V: Season 2 which would explain the Sony exclusivity?

They say they're going to support the SFV until 2020 so adding a Street Fighter V Marvel (it almost writes itself) pack would certainly be a way to extend the life of the original game and also a way to relaunch it and get it out in the spotlight again.

That's not the issue. When the ban started, Marvel Entertainment didn't want to advertise Fox material point-blank, comic version or movie version.
I mean that's fine, but really how many games were affected by that and how many were mobile? The only console game was what....Disney Infinity which was about Disney products anyways?

When there's an actual precedent for characters being there in an established series (that began with X-Men lol) and it's not a weird situation like "Activision owns the rights to Crash" I can't really see them doing that with MvC.

Obviously it could end up being the case but at a certain point this is a thread about believing, a few days ago we thought we'd never see another MvC and now it's actually maybe happening

No X-Men no buy

Rather than a new game, could this not be Street Fighter V: Season 2 which would explain the Sony exclusivity?

They say they're going to support the SFV until 2020 so adding a Street Fighter V Marvel (it almost writes itself) pack would certainly be a way to extend the life of the original game and also a way to relaunch it and get it out in the spotlight again.
I was thinking this might be the case as well if they're focusing on SFV and want it to be their "esports platform".

Neoxon

Which one tho? Marvel movie one or og sexy helmet one?
How about a compromise?

starlord002-mask-193369.jpg

I didn't say we'd see a lot of fox property characters, but I can't invision a scenario where Wolverine gets cut even if he ends up being the only Xmen character there and is announced quietly in the game. Same with Deadpool. I can see a situation where they aren't on the cover but are still included in the game. I do expect a larger push of mcu characters so characters like Starlord, Black Panther, Black Widow, etc.

labaronx

Seriously. Give us more Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, Star Gladiator, and Cyberbots characters.

Please no SFV reps, all the new characters are terrible. But I know they're gonna have one and either Necalli or Rashid would work best in mvc.

Yes more dimitri

Outside of adding the human torch does anybody really want more f4 characters, super skrull and dr doom were enough, marvel has full rights to namor again:

As far as xmen, wolverine storm, magneto, bring back iceman, gambit, and rouge and im good

More space marvel would be good considering guardians 2 and thor ragnarok are set for next year though, groot starlord, drax,gamora, rocket,ronin, nova, annihilus, beta ray bill, silver surfer, surtur, champion of the universe, grandmaster.... if this happening lol

That would be a terrible way to piss off both Marvel vs Capcom and Street Fighter V fans.

This is pure insanity and wouldn't work for a number of reasons. People who like Marvel, or the VS series rather, do so because the gameplay it offers is radically different from most other fighting games on the market. Plopping in Marvel characters into SFV would do nothing but piss off Marvel fans.

SFV is going to be getting a huge re-invigoration effort, but throwing in Marvel characters to just piss everyone off isn't what it needs. Not only that, but Capcom is fully capable of supporting two competitive fighting games at once. In fact, when they first announced CFN, they said it was built to support more than 1 fighting game.

Neoxon

I didn't say we'd see a lot of fox property characters, but I can't invision a scenario where Wolverine gets cut even if he ends up being the only Xmen character there and is announced quietly in the game. Same with Deadpool. I can see a situation where they aren't on the cover but are still included in the game. I do expect a larger push of mcu characters so characters like Starlord, Black Panther, Black Widow, etc.
Put it this way, Wolverine & Deadpool haven't been featured in a new game for a year or two. Marvel Future Fight even had to use Gwenpool as their Deadpool replacement, & couldn't refer to Sunspot by name for the New Avengers event. If Marvel's change-of-heart took place after Capcom got the license back, they're screwed.

I mean that's fine, but really how many games were affected by that and how many were mobile? The only console game was what....Disney Infinity which was about Disney products anyways?

When there's an actual precedent for characters being there in an established series (that began with X-Men lol) and it's not a weird situation like "Activision owns the rights to Crash" I can't really see them doing that with MvC.

Obviously it could end up being the case but at a certain point this is a thread about believing, a few days ago we thought we'd never see another MvC and now it's actually maybe happening

No X-Men no buy
Lego Avengers was affected, & there were rumors that they went Lego Avengers as a work-around for the new restrictions. And yeah, pretty much every post-CoC mobile game was impacted.

I mean, now Marvel's on the cusp of changing their ways, but the main concern is if that's too late for MvC4 or not (if the rumors of its existence are true).

No way, if Capcom has gotten back the Marvel license, MVC4 is happening, not this weird half-hearted SF hybrid you're talking about.

Nintendad

So who will we most likely see?

Starlord
Rocket Racoon
Groot
Hulk
Captain America
Iron Man
Doctor Strange
Antman
Daredevil
Luke Cage
Squirrel Girl
Captain Marvel
Loki
Thor

Neoxon

So who will we most likely see?

Star-Lord
Rocket Racoon
Groot
Hulk
Captain America
Iron Man
Doctor Strange
Ant-Man
Daredevil
Luke Cage
Squirrel Girl
Captain Marvel
Loki
Thor
Throw in Ms. Marvel & Black Bolt, too. Not sure about Luke Cage, but him in the MCU does help his chances.

Sponge

Banned
Besides the KI and SFV business model, I'm hoping for some more Guardians characters. Rocket was great in MvC3 and I would love to have Star Lord and Groot in the game.

Regarding the FOX characters - MvC3 was already pretty anemic when it came to non-MCU characters. We got left with the 5 absolute biggest fan favorites from the non-MCU cast that we could get then: Spider-man, Magneto, Sentinel, Storm, Wolverine. The mutants basically made up the lionshare of the cast in MvC2 on the marvel side, and seeing them get stripped down to those 5 + a few newcomers was already a hard pill to swallow.

I think its very hard to assume just how many characters they will be able to reel in from the non-MCU side this time around, especially since many of the introductions of characters made in MvC3 helped broaden exposure to the wider audience for characters who ultimately got featured in Marvel movies down the road, like Dr. Strange, Dormammu, Rocket Raccoon, Taskmaster, and Ironfist.

Regarding the FOX characters - MvC3 was already pretty anemic when it came to non-MCU characters. We got left with the 5 absolute biggest fan favorites from the non-MCU cast that we could get then: Spider-man, Magneto, Sentinel, Storm, Wolverine.

I think its very hard to assume just how many characters they will be able to reel in from the non-MCU side this time around, especially since many of the introductions of characters made in MvC3 helped broaden exposure to the wider audience for characters who ultimately got featured in Marvel movies down the road, like Dr. Strange, Dormammu, Rocket Raccoon, and Taskmaster

Taskmaster was in a movie? Where?

Neoxon

Regarding the FOX characters - MvC3 was already pretty anemic when it came to non-MCU characters. We got left with the 5 absolute biggest fan favorites from the non-MCU cast that we could get then: Spider-man, Magneto, Sentinel, Storm, Wolverine.

I think its very hard to assume just how many characters they will be able to reel in from the non-MCU side this time around, especially since many of the introductions of characters made in MvC3 helped broaden exposure to the wider audience for characters who ultimately got featured in Marvel movies down the road, like Dr. Strange, Dormammu, Rocket Raccoon, and Taskmaster
Taskmaster isn't in the MCU, yet.

SaikyoBro

Yeah I'm bumping heavy for Demitri in this game. I know they talked about Marvel not approving of Midnight Bliss but I don't think that move is the coolest or most memorable part of his character, he's in every NxC/PXZ game and doesn't have it. I'd be fine with any third Darkstalker alongside Morrigan and Felicia (I know people talked a lot about BB Hood or Jon Talbain in 3) but he's my top choice.

Neoxon

I love how are we all talking like ITS ACTUALLY GONNA HAPPEN.
I feel like it's us more of entertaining the idea of it happening than actually believing that it's happening. It's why I say "assuming that the game is happening" or something along those lines in most of my posts here.

DR2K

Banned
If SFV roster is anything to go by they're probably going to prioritize the top fan favorites that didn't make to the final roster.

Psylocke
MsMarvel
Gambit
Cable
Punisher
Megaman
Ken
Gene
Asura

UMVC3's roster update on the Marvel side seemed to be characters Marvel wanted to push. Vanilla MvC3 had some obscure characters thrown in because they would be cool for fighting games, which is more where Taskmaster and MODOK fell in.

Personally, I hope a MvC4 would still throw the weirdos a bone and not just have only MCU stuff.

Neoxon

If SFV roster is anything to go by they're probably going to prioritize the top fan favorites that didn't make to the final roster.

Psylocke
MsMarvel
Gambit
Cable
Punisher
Megaman
Ken
Gene
Asura
Which one are you referring to? If it's Carol, she goes by Captain Marvel, now. Ms. Marvel is now a Pakistani-American Inhuman named Kamala Khan.

DR2K

Banned
Which one are you referring to? If it's Carol, she goes by Captain Marvel, now. Ms. Marvel is now a Pakistani-American Inhuman named Kamala Khan.

Carol. Captain Marvel is basically al pick considering she has a movie coming. Forgot about that. As is Black Panther.

Neoxon

Carol. Captain Marvel is basically al pick considering she has a movie coming. Forgot about that. As is Black Panther.
Yeah. Normally I wouldn't have an issue with using names interchangeably, but the new Ms. Marvel has taken off popularity-wise in a huge way. Even now, Kamala is being included in more cartoons & games.

What gives you the confidence?
I would love for it to happen but I know nothing concrete

Like some others have said, several people have been told that its happening already. I had my doubts originally, but some new things came up that have me at the "Okay, its happening. Awesome" stage right now. Wish I had more details though :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom