• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Monster Hunter Franchise "Handheld" Exclusive for 3 Years on 3DS

Maedhros

I might be starting some shit but which game is better? MH looks better, but which has better gameplay?

They're completely different. There's no way to judge this unless you see some gameplay videos on the... you know... internet, like everyone with these type of questions should do in the first place.

Sleepy

They're completely different. There's no way to judge this unless you see some gameplay videos on the... you know... internet, like everyone with these type of questions should do in the first place.

images

Anyway, thanks for the action/rpg breakdown, Sera.

If they released a new exclusive mainline numbered entry in the MH franchise for the dreamcast it would bring the platform back from the dead in japan, and those numbers only go higher and higher on any handheld platform.

The fanbase would absolutely move platforms for an exclusive MH game , and the vita wouldn't even need the whole fanbase to move to change its current fate. The chances of that actually happening for the vita are an entirely different story but to say that it wouldn't "save" the vita if it did by chance happen is just crazy to me.

Takao

Banned
2010 with MHP3rd

Actually, no. In June 2012 Capcom released this:

Airu-de-Puzzle-JPN-PSP-Caravan.jpg

(It's Puzzle Fighter with a Monster Hunter skin)

Which would put some doubt on this rumor being correct as it came out six months after the first 3DS release of MH. Frankly, I was always surprised Capcom didn't release it on 3DS anyways. Looking at this forum poster's track record, the only thing I'd call surprising was him saying Monster Hunter would be on 3DS back in 2010. Predicting a 3DS revision is like predicting the sun will rise in the morning, and set at night. Dragon Quest VII being remade on 3DS after the games leading up to it were remade on DS is also quite obvious. You guys wouldn't take rumors made up by myself factually when I accurately predicted a sub-$300 Vita, and that God Eater 2 would be on that platform, so maybe put less stock into the Chinese when they're getting softies right?

Metallix87

Pretty much. Has a system ever lost almost all it's shelf space only to gain some of it back? The second the first major US retailer actually drops it, there will be no going back, although some individual Target's I believe are already either not carrying it or barely pretending it exists.
My local Targets have maybe 8 games for the system on their shelves, and they're actually with the Wii games in one of the stores.

If they released a new exclusive mainline numbered entry in the MH franchise for the dreamcast it would bring the platform back from the dead in japan, and those numbers only go higher and higher on any handheld platform.

The fanbase would absolutely move platforms for an exclusive MH game , and the vita wouldn't even need the whole fanbase to move to change its current fate. The chances of that actually happening for the vita are an entirely different story but to say that it wouldn't "save" the vita if it did by chance happen is just crazy to me.

If MH4 had never been made for 3DS and come out on Vita instead yes the platform would have a completely different fate. We're talking about the MH fanbase moving over from the 3DS years after MH4 has already come out for a game on a platform that will likely be almost completely dead if not dead and gone by the time this 3 years is up

test_account

XP-39C²
Yea it'll sell more but that doesn't mean it'll sell massively more. It's not like people that own a vita will be more inclined to buy Monster by such a significant degree in comparison to any of the other "big" games it has. There's nothing to imply they're holding out. The system isn't exactly swimming in big games.
There is nothing to imply how MH would sell on Vita indeed, but that is natural because MH doesnt excist on the Vita. Looking at other titles is not much of an indicator for how MH would sell on Vita. The last game that capped 200k was either Persona 4 Golden or Miku F, but these titles are completely different games and series. Monster Hunter is in a completely different league than anything that excist on the Vita, so there is no indication to look for.

If MH4 had never been made for 3DS and come out on Vita instead yes the platform would have a completely different fate. We're talking about the MH fanbase moving over from the 3DS years after MH4 has already come out for a game on a platform that will likely be almost completely dead if not dead and gone by the time this 3 years is up

So instead of assuming it would be some revision of MH4 assume it would simply be MH5 and all of a sudden the same situation of the vita's fate changing comes into play. How long a series has been on a platform has never had ANY bearing on whether the series will stay on that platform.

Eventually there is going to be a sales breakpoint for the vita where any developer interested in taking advantage of the higher power or various other features only the vita offers will see it as worthwhile enough and then from that point on things will only be looking up. It doesn't really make much difference how many sub 15k sales months it takes to reach that point or how many times people claim that it's now officially dead.

Edit: And on top of that why are people assuming this deal would extend for 3 years from now, in all likely hood its 3 years from when the deal was signed which should this rumor even be true probably already has a significant chunk of time run off of it.

Unless Nintendo paid big money, this rumor isn't true. Capcom would never do this. Think about it. Almost every "major" game, they release on every device. Capcom isn't one to limit their profits.

If it is true (for whatever reason) bad news for Sony though.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
There is nothing to imply how MH would sell on Vita indeed, but that is natural, because MH doesnt excist on the Vita. Looking at other titles is not much of an indicator for how MH would sell on Vita. The last game that capped 200k was either Persona 4 Golden or Miku F, but these titles are completely different games and series.

Yes but if Someone buys a platform they're going to want to buy games for a platform. They're not gonna let it sit around playing expsnisve psp games (which they can get for used cheaper and play on an actual psp), or whatever unique digital releases the Vita has. They going to want to buy the biggest games on the platform. Hundreds of thousands aren't gonna hold out waiting for the possiblility of a game that hasn't even been annouced and may never come. So it seems illogical to assume that just because MH is sold on the Vita that the it'd start to get 70-90% if higher attach ratio when everything else has about 20.

Tenki

If that's true, and it's only 3 years, then PSVita will for sure dominate the market on japan by the end of the generation.
I mean, it's monster hunter with HD graphics, while the 3DS iterations are even below what we saw on PSP in that regard.

Sure.

Unless Nintendo paid big money, this rumor isn't true. Capcom would never do this. Think about it. Almost every "major" game, they release on every device. Capcom isn't one to limit their profits.

If it is true (for whatever reason) bad news for Sony though.

MH3U's multiplayer is running on dedicated servers owned by Nintendo. Think about it.

Takao

Banned
If Sony wants to save Vita there will be a Monster Hunter Portable released for it. Capcom and Nintendo exclusive games don't exactly have a history of staying exclusive, even when Nintendo makes a big fuss about them being exclusive. Resident Evil is the poster boy of this, with every entry they've made except RE0 and REmake being ported to other non-Nintendo platforms.

MH3U's multiplayer is running on dedicated servers owned by Nintendo. Think about it.

And Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD's multiplayer was running on a dedicated service owned by Sony. Think about that. Capcom is just cheap.

That's actually why the game didn't get localized!

Teletraan1

Banned
Seems pretty shitty. Sony makes a portable with 2 analog sticks which was the main problem people had with playing MH on PSP and Capcom jumps it to some platform that has 1 stick by default unless you add on some unwieldy CPP. No doubt if this game was on Sony's platform it would probably move units in Japan so really if there is some sort of payed exclusive stuff it is Sony's fault for not wrapping that up. If I recall 3DS wasn't exactly setting the world on fire when this shift in MH happened either.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If Sony wants to save Vita there will be a Monster Hunter Portable released for it. Capcom and Nintendo exclusive games don't exactly have a history of staying exclusive, even when Nintendo makes a big fuss about them being exclusive. Resident Evil is the poster boy of this, with every entry they've made except RE0 and REmake being ported to other non-Nintendo platforms.

Yeah but that was from less popular platform to a more popular platform. In this situation the 3DS is the PS2 and Capcom have little reason to leave.

Qurupeke

Hmm... I won't really like this. The best thing to do is release Mon Hun on both Vita and 3DS. And everyone will be happy.

liger05

If that's true, and it's only 3 years, then PSVita will for sure dominate the market on japan by the end of the generation.
I mean, it's monster hunter with HD graphics, while the 3DS iterations are even below what we saw on PSP in that regard.

Get off that crack dude

Ridley327

Seems pretty shitty. Sony makes a portable with 2 analog sticks which was the main problem people had with playing MH on PSP and Capcom jumps it to some platform that has 1 stick by default unless you add on some unwieldy CPP. No doubt if this game was on Sony's platform it would probably move units in Japan so really if there is some sort of payed exclusive stuff it is Sony's fault for not wrapping that up. If I recall 3DS wasn't exactly setting the world on fire when this shift in MH happened either.

The 3DS was never doing as poorly as the Vita has, though.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yes but if Someone buys a platform they're going to want to buy games for a platform. They're not gonna let it sit around playing expsnisve psp games (which they get used cheaper and play on an actual psp), or whatever unique digital releases the Vita has. They going to want to buy the biggest games on the platform. Hundreds of thousands aren't gonna hold out waiting for the possible of that has even annouced and may never come. So it seems illogical to assume that just because MH is sold on the Vita that the it'd start get 70-90% if higher attach ratio when everything else has about 20.
It is possible, but keep in mind that if such game excisted, a lot more would be buying the system. When more people own a system, more publishers will find it easier to release games for it. How big attach ratio it would be is very hard to say because the hardware sales for the Vita would be different than what it is today if a Monster Hunter game excisted for it.

Eventually there is going to be a sales breakpoint for the vita where any developer interested in taking advantage of the higher power or various other features only the vita offers will see it as worthwhile enough and then from that point on things will only be looking up. It doesn't really make much difference how many sub 15k sales months it takes to reach that point or how many times people claim that it's now officially dead.

Except that the major handheld-supporting third parties aren't interested in taking advantage of what Vita offers over 3DS. That's exactly how it ended up in its current situation!

qq more

I might be starting some shit but which game is better? MH looks better, but which has better gameplay?

Can't really compare the two, they're both for different audiences. One is an action game and another is an RPG.

I'd say Pokemon is way more accessible though.

Takao

Banned
Yeah but that was from less popular platform to a more popular platform. In this situation the 3DS is the PS2 and Capcom have little reason to leave.

Resident Evil: Revelations was evidently made with the plan to always port it to PS3/360. 3DS is the dominant platform in Japan, and the dominant handheld worldwide.

FoneBone

Eventually there is going to be a sales breakpoint for the vita where any developer interested in taking advantage of the higher power or various other features only the vita offers will see it as worthwhile enough and then from that point on things will only be looking up.

The "slow burn" argument - that support will suddenly show up en masse once it reaches some arbitrary sales milestone, no matter how many stores have discontinued it or how many times larger the 3DS userbase is at that point - has no relationship to reality. Fanboy wishful thinking at its finest.

Sandfox

If this deal is real they probably did it because of the sales.

Which platform is more popular likely has zero influence over capcom when it comes to MH, whichever platform they put an exclusive MH game on is then the most popular one and a large part of why 3ds is having the sales numbers it is in japan is because of MH4 alone.

FoneBone

Which platform is more popular likely has zero influence over capcom when it comes to MH, whichever platform they put an exclusive MH game on is then the most popular one and a large part of why 3ds is having the sales numbers it is in japan is because of MH4 alone.

Uh... DS was considerably more popular than PSP.

There's a bit difference with the Resident Evil situation: Monster Hunter is actually selling extremely well on 3DS (way, way above Capcom's expectations); also: Nintendo is distributing the game in the West. Add to that the money from the exclusivity contract, and you can clearly see how Monster Hunter is likely to stay on Nintendo hardware with all the relevant entry, at least in the next few years.

Baki

Nintendo has a lot of money and Sony isn't the type to pony up anymore. Which is a bit stupid of Sony in my opinion. I mean honestly, a $100m marketing campaign doesn't have the effect that MH on Vita would have (in Japan). I wouldn't be surprised if Sony only had to pony up a fraction of that price to ensure a multiplatform MH strategy.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Resident Evil: Revelations was evidently made with the plan to always port it to PS3/360. 3DS is the dominant platform in Japan, and the dominant handheld worldwide.

Install base of Xbox 360 and ps3 dwarfs 3DS. It's the exact same example.

Teletraan1

Banned
The 3DS was never doing as poorly as the Vita has, though.

It was doing poorly at the beginning. Poor enough for an ambassador program and a huge early price cut. Then some games came out for it and oh my gosh the sales picked up. Go read media create threads from post 3DS launch up until the big hitter games came out for 3DS, it was doom and gloom. No big hitter game ever came out for the Vita post launch so it has continued to stagnate into obscurity. As much as everyone likes to drool over specs and other bs the only thing that has ever mattered on game consoles is software.

I'd say Nintendo has enough $$ to make a deal, and if really does pay to focus on one platform at a time with marketing, so expect MH4 to be 3DS for at least this year, Sony will have to make Vita viable themselves.

also, the back n'forth is basically owners/potential owners not "wanting" the Vita to be struggling so bad. But it's selling really low. The only reason it isn't dead is because Sony's WWS is pretty big, and they can potentially make Vita profitable.

Regardless, Soul Sacrifice looks awesome, and so does Phantasy Star Online 2, and that One Piece game. Just enjoy the great games on Vita while it lasts, and hope Sony's WWS turn it around.

Nintendo put there first party to work with 3DS, Sony has yet to show the same effort. But I wouldn't be so inclined to call it dead, PSP still sells in Japan, so there's not so much anything wrong with the brand,which always means there's opportunity there. Either way, I'd be focusing much more on making Vita the FPS handheld (something 3DS can't do as well) and go back to Japan when it's less 3DS hype. MH4/Pokemon in 2013? Nothing can compete with...But if an actually good FPS releases on vita (COD/Killzone/Battlefield/new IP) it could become the more popular handheld in the west.

Still I love my Vita, and I support it 100% until Sony calls it quits. They haven't let me down with PS3, so I expect them to be working hard on it internally.

Will support 3DS too though not because of MH or 3rd party titles, Nintendo really earned my purchase with Zelda OOT/Kid Icarus/easy 3D/RE. I support good games period...and I think they'll be good titles on both platforms...

Uh... DS was considerably more popular than PSP.

Not once MH games started to release on PSP, counting sales rates prior to that doesn't really have much bearing when I am only talking about how MH effects the popularity of a platform.

And as for "The "slow burn" argument - that support will suddenly show up en masse once it reaches some arbitrary sales milestone, no matter how many stores have discontinued it or how many times larger the 3DS userbase is at that point - has no relationship to reality. Fanboy wishful thinking at its finest. "

I never said it would show up en masse, I said developers would decide to make games for it once it reached a point where the install base was large enough they deemed it worthy. That is just common sense. How much effect each individual game effects the sales then depends on the games themselves but you better believe if demand is high enough that any stores not stocking it will change to stocking it.

I have no horse in the handheld race, Own both the 3ds and Vita and have already gained my money back on both purchases. If I had my own personal way there wouldn't even be any handhelds anymore and all games would be console / PC exclusive.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It is possible, but keep in mind that if such game excisted, a lot more would be buying the system. When more people own a system, more publishers will find it easier to release games for it. How big attach ratio it would be is very hard to say because the hardware sales for the Vita would be different than what it is today if a Monster Hunter game excisted for it.

Like with Personna 4 and AKB47 and we saw how that happened. Your pretty much assuming MH has this magical aura that can save a dead platform even despite most of it's userbase moving to it's competitors platform. I'm sorry I'm just not buying it.

FoneBone

I never said it would show up en masse, I said developers would decide to make games for it once it reached a point where the install base was large enough they deemed it worthy. That is just common sense.

Quick, point me to an example of this happening in the past. I have a feeling I'll be waiting a while.

Ponn

Banned
Click on this thread and I see...Monster Hunter vs. Pokemon debate? Biggest competitor to 3rd party games on Nintendo devices continues to be Nintendo themselves. Weird to see Nintendo sign or try to coerce any exclusivity deal, usually not their style.

Really don't see much changing in Monster Hunter numbers overall. It will still probably sell well in Japan and do poor in the U.S. I really never thought it was the big system seller people always made it out to be so don't think it would have moved Vita's. Everyone is focusing on the wrong things there, especially Sony.

Overall wish dedicated handheld lovers all over could put aside their petty childish fanboy shit and realize we are all in the same boat and either device failing is not good in the long run for dedicated handhelds.

Takao

Banned
There's a bit difference with the Resident Evil situation: Monster Hunter is actually selling extremely well on 3DS (way, way above Capcom's expectations); also: Nintendo is distributing the game in the West. Add to that the money from the exclusivity contract, and you can clearly see how Monster Hunter is likely to stay on Nintendo hardware with all the relevant entry, at least in the next few years.

You live in Europe, right? Who published Resident Evil: Revelations there? Nintendo. Someone on this forum said months ago that Capcom was porting Revelations to PS3/360, and actually listed the rather weird "Unveiled Edition" name long before anyone else said that. He more recently said that Capcom was always going to port the game to PS3/360 no matter how well, or poorly it sold on 3DS.

Our argument is also fairly pointless, since if this deal does exist it expires next year, which is honestly the only point in which an important Monster Hunter entry could come out on a non-3DS platform. You release a Vita entry in 2012, and you potentially clip MH4's sales. You release any major entry in the back half of 2013 and you'll see MH4's legs be cut off. Whether or not Capcom sees Vita as a device they want to expand the series to certainly is the argument this discussion has taken. I'm of the opinion that if Sony wants to save Vita a Monster Hunter Portable will be there. Of course I can't say if Sony wants to save Vita.

Hiltz

If this rumor is true, then Nintendo's hit two birds with one stone by securing Monster Hunter for its handheld. I sure hope this potentially true news combined with Nintendo's decision to let Capcom use Nintendo's servers for MH3U HD, (to deal with server development costs) is a sign of more MH appearing on Wii U too in the future.

Quick, point me to an example of this happening in the past. I have a feeling I'll be waiting a while.

That third party lineup for the 3DS sure was so much better then the vita one at launch and for a while after launch wasn't it.

Then it reached a sales point where developers deemed it worthy of making there games for it and look where it's at now.

PS3 has no games, am I right?

You are being hostile for no real reason and that is all you have to challenge my statement with?

I doubt Capcom is looking to segregate the user base on this one but i could be wrong. I imagine the 3 years thing is just a fail safe, I don't think we'll see MH returning to Sony portables in any relevant form.

I don't really understand the "segregation of the userbase" explanation, even for a local multiplayer game. It's not as if the game's fanbase would simply divide in half if it became multiplatform, a good chunk of new users would jump on board increasing overall sales. That's how it works with CoD.

I suspect he thinks the MHP-driven PSP resurgence is such an example, despite the fact that PSP was selling much better circa 2006 than Vita is now, and that MHP didn't, in fact, materialize out of nowhere to multimillion-unit sales halfway through PSP's lifespan.

FoneBone

That third party lineup for the 3DS sure was so much better then the vita one at launch and for a while after launch wasn't it.

Then it reached a sales point where developers deemed it worthy of making there games for it and look where it's at now.

PS3 has no games, am I right?

You are being hostile for no real reason and that is all you have to challenge my statement with?

3DS had far better 3rd party support announced well before launch than Vita ever did. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Top Bottom