• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Monster Hunter Franchise "Handheld" Exclusive for 3 Years on 3DS

test_account

XP-39C²
Like with Personna 4 and AKB47 and we saw how that happened. Your pretty much assuming MH has this magical aura that can save a dead platform even despite most of it's userbase moving to it's competitors platform. I'm sorry I'm just not buying it.
No, i'm not assuming or saying that. All i'm saying that looking at the current Vita situation, there is no indication on how a MH game would have sold on Vita right now. The whole situation would have been very different then. More people would have bought the system by now, which means that more publishers would have an easier time to support the platform (less risk because more people own the system).

I'm not arguing that Monster Hunter should come to the Vita, i'm only saying that the Vita situation would be different if a MH game excisted for it.

Persona 4 and AKB149 are small game franchises compared to Monster Hunter. They are hardly comparable to eachother in that regard. It is similar to look at i.e a Dragonball game and guess how much a main Dragon Quest game would sell.

You live in Europe, right? Who published Resident Evil: Revelations there? Nintendo. Someone on this forum said months ago that Capcom was porting Revelations to PS3/360, and actually listed the rather weird "Unveiled Edition" name long before anyone else said that. He more recently said that Capcom was always going to port the game to PS3/360 no matter how well, or poorly it sold on 3DS.

Our argument is also fairly pointless, since if this deal does exist it expires next year, which is honestly the only point in which an important Monster Hunter entry could come out on a non-3DS platform. You release a Vita entry in 2012, and you potentially clip MH4's sales. You release any major entry in the back half of 2013 and you'll see MH4's legs be cut off. Whether or not Capcom sees Vita as a device they want to expand the series to certainly is the argument this discussion has taken. I'm of the opinion that if Sony wants to save Vita a Monster Hunter Portable will be there. Of course I can't say if Sony wants to save Vita.

Nintendo also published Rhythm Thief, that eventually went to iOS. I mean, it's not that all contracts are the same. The fact is that Nintendo is really pushing Monster Hunter in the West; investing in the online infrastructure and promoting it in Western territories is not something that you can do so easily without any guarantees.

3DS had far better 3rd party support announced well before launch than Vita ever did. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Uh, the launch window games for the 3DS were pretty freaking abysmal. Most people I have seen discuss it have agreed that the Vita Launch lineup was actually pretty strong.

Maybe it is just me I guess but the stuff you are using to get your point across isn't really having much impact.

Unless Nintendo paid big money, this rumor isn't true. Capcom would never do this. Think about it. Almost every "major" game, they release on every device. Capcom isn't one to limit their profits.

If it is true (for whatever reason) bad news for Sony though.

The Charlequin posts should be mandatory for every MH to vita thread (given I haven't heard a single convincing argument against them).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
No, i'm not assuming or saying that. All i'm saying that looking at the current Vita situation, there is no indication on how a MH game would have sold on Vita right now. The whole situation would have been very different then. More people would have bought the system by now, which means that more publishers would have an easier time to support the platform (less risk because more people own the system).

I'm not arguing that Monster Hunter should come to the Vita, i'm only saying that the Vita situation would be different if a MH game excisted for it.

Persona 4 and AKB149 are small game franchises compared to Monster Hunter. They are hardly comparable to eachother in that regard. It is similar to look at i.e a Dragonball game and guess how much a main Dragon Quest game would sell.

At the start sure sure the system could hae gone very differentlyor at least sold 20k regularily. Right now though I'm questioning the effect MH when Vita has reached near 5k and routinely under 10k.

FoneBone

Uh, the launch window games for the 3DS were pretty freaking abysmal. Most people I have seen discuss it have agreed that the Vita Launch lineup was actually pretty strong.

Maybe it is just me I guess but the stuff you are using to get your point across isn't really having much impact.
I'm talking about the entire announced lineup pre-launch. Not the launch window lineup.
The Charlequin posts should be mandatory for every MH to vita thread (given I haven't heard a single convincing argument against them).

Yeah, that's why I'm kind of sick of repeating them. I haven't seen any argument that's more than "lol, no it won't, split userbase isn't an actual problem".

I'm talking about the entire announced lineup pre-launch. Not the launch window lineup.

I don't really remember that much of note confirmed to be coming to the 3ds prior to launch but would be happy to adapt my stance if you have some titles in mind that were noteworthy to you.

Honestly though, even in my very first post on the matter in here I said myself I really doubt this hypothetical situation that the vita gets a mainline exclusive entry will ever happen, and my point of contention was with people saying that if it happened that it wouldn't have much effect on the vitas sales. I was never trying to argue that the vita will be "saved", just that one specific unlikey scenario COULD "save" it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I don't really remember that much of note confirmed to be coming to the 3ds prior to launch but would be happy to adapt my stance if you have some titles in mind that were noteworthy to you.

Honestly though, even in my very first post on the matter in here I said myself I really doubt this hypothetical situation that the vita gets a mainline exclusive entry will ever happen, and my point of contention was with people saying that if it happened that it wouldn't have much effect on the vitas sales. I was never trying to argue that the vita will be "saved", just that one specific unlikey scenario COULD "save" it.

IIRC Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil, and Metal Gear were all announced at E3 2010. I think some other stuff was announced there as well.

test_account

XP-39C²
At the start sure sure the system could hae gone very differentlyor at least sold 20k regularily. Right now though I'm questioning the effect MH when Vita has reached near 5k and routinely under 10k.
Ah ok, like that. Regards to that, unless the Monster Hunter popularity has fallen a lot since MHP3rd for the PSP, i have no doubt that the Vita hardware sales would pick up a lot if an exclusive and main Monster Hunter game would be released for the system. Those games are system sellers. Even that the 3DS has very strongly weekly sales, i can almost guarantee that the 3DS hardware sales will increase noticeably in the week when MH4 gets released. And since more people own the hardware, it would be easier risk for publishers to make games, which means that more games would be released, and the ball has a chance to start rolling. I have no idea exactly how much effect it would have on the Vita however, only that it would be a noticeable effect. A multiplatform MH game with 3DS/Vita would do less for the Vita i think.

But all of this is just speculation of course, since i dont expect a Monster Hunter game to come to the Vita anytime soon.

Takao

Banned
I don't really understand the "segregation of the userbase" explanation, even for a local multiplayer game. It's not as if the game's fanbase would simply divide in half if it became multiplatform, a good chunk of new users would jump on board increasing overall sales. That's how it works with CoD.

CoD is an online game. There is always someone else to play with even if your friends don't own the console you bought the game on.

Up until MH4 the handheld Monster Hunter games didn't even have an online mode. They rely on people going to the equivalent of Street Pass Meetups and playing together. Some guy showing up with his Vita while everyone else has a 3DS is going to be like that Ridge Racer on PSP vs. Pictochat on DS picture.

Of course, Capcom has maybe inadvertently created separate unique brands for Monster Hunter on different platforms. There has been no Monster Hunter Portable releases on Nintendo, or Microsoft platforms. There has been no Monster Hunter Frontier releases on Nintendo, or Sony platforms. There hasn't been a Monster Hunter vanilla release on Sony, or Microsoft hardware since like 2005/2006 (whenever Dos came out, I'm too lazy to go look), and Monster Hunter Dynamic Hunting has been exclusive to iOS/Android platforms.

At one point I thought this may allow Capcom to sidestep the whole "My friend bought the game on 3DS, but I have a Vita" issue with creating unique releases for each platform. Since then though it's kind of become clear that in Capcom's quest to keep the largest third party franchise in Japan on the super cheap they just plan on there not being a difference between handheld and console entries. They'll just port the 3DS games, and call it a day.

Nintendo also published Rhythm Thief, that eventually went to iOS. I mean, it's not that all contracts are the same. The fact is that Nintendo is really pushing Monster Hunter in the West; investing in the online infrastructure and promoting it in Western territories is not something that you can do so easily without any guarantees.

Nintendo did all of this back in 2010 with Monster Hunter Tri, and then 7 months later Monster Hunter Portable 3rd came out on PSP.

prwxv3

I doubt its going to happen but it would make a interesting thread if it was confirmed. But this is Capcom we are talking about.

IIRC Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil, and Metal Gear were all announced at E3 2010. I think some other stuff was announced there as well.

While I guess that is something, I personally don't really see that as being all that much better then what the vita had coming third party. Particularly considering Metal Gear was just a port of a ps2 game and that's the kind of thing people are constantly holding against the vita game wise.

Baki

Yeah, that's why I'm kind of sick of repeating them. I haven't seen any argument that's more than "lol, no it won't, split userbase isn't an actual problem".

His argument relies on the fact that "co-op" CANNOT be cross platform. While I believe, its more than possible to allow cross platform play (where you have 3DS MH players and Vita MH players partying up).

Emitan

Is this the thread where we all forgot that Sony sat on their hands and let Capcom save the PSP for them? Is this the thread where we think Sony is going to waste resources saving a platform doomed from the start instead of working on their next home console? Is this the thread where people argue that splitting the install base of a local multiplayer focused franchise is a way to make money?

Oh fuck it is.

schuelma

While I guess that is something, I personally don't really see that as being all that much better then what the vita had coming third party. Particularly considering Metal Gear was just a port of a ps2 game and that's the kind of thing people are constantly holding against the vita game wise.

What significant Japanese third party games were announced before launch for Vita?

Boney

Banned

images

You can scratch Metal Gear off that list, and it still proves you to be completely wrong. The "biggest" Japanese third-party titles announced for Vita before launch were all ports or multiplatform titles, and several of those have since become vaporware (FFX HD) or appear to have been cancelled entirely (ZOE HD, KojiPro Fox Engine titles).

It's known that Nintendo does give out hats full of money. Good investment as they eliminated the posibility of a PSP like resurgence for Vita, well at least one caused by MHP.

What significant Japanese third party games were announced before launch for Vita?

Honestly couldn't tell you as I had little interest in following either handheld prior to launch, But I would say that the actual lineup the vita launched with was a good bit better then what the 3ds launched with.

I have never personally put much stock into the vague anouncements any platform gets prior to launch though since so many of them end up being empty promises.

His argument relies on the fact that "co-op" CANNOT be cross platform. While I believe, its more than possible to allow cross platform play (where you have 3DS MH players and Vita MH players partying up).

i must have missed the announcement that 3ds and vita can communicate with each other or that nintendo and sony would allow it

Plus mario kart, paper mario, Dead or alive, animal crossing, street fighter, nintendogs, kid icarus and pilot wings. While sales and release date in retrospect revealed other things about the significance, all of these titles shown at once were major.

schuelma

Honestly couldn't tell you as I had little interest in following either handheld prior to launch, But I would say that the actual lineup the vita launched with was a good bit better then what the 3ds launched with.

I have never personally put much stock into the vague anouncements any platform gets prior to launch though since so many of them end up being empty promises.

Are we talking your personal opinion on the quality of the games or sales potential?

There's a reason why multiplat titles like CoD are not compatible across platforms though. Different infrastructure, platform holders opposing said move, etc.

Takao

Banned
And it wasn't the same game. And MH3 basically remained exclusive to Nintendo platforms.

Notice how I've said if Sony wants to save Vita, there will be a Monster Hunter Portable for it. While Portable starts with Port, it eventually becomes something else. I was talking RE earlier to prove a point that Capcom and exclusive forever are words that rarely go together. They're like Koei Tecmo (who appear to be porting Ninja Gaiden Razor's Edge to PS3/360 despite that game supposedly having development assistance from Nintendo!) in that regard, they do what they want to and if there's a way to port things, they will.

To be quite honest, an exclusive entry built for Vita is the only way I can see that franchise being something that can turn Vita's tables around in Japan. As a few people have said in this thread, right now 3DS is the platform for Monster Hunter. A 3DS to Vita port, while it may sell some units, won't exactly be sending Vitas off the shelves for more than a week. Sony would obviously be paying for that as Vita's sales don't exactly make it an attractive offer for Capcom to go it alone.

Which let me be clear, by exclusive I mean handheld exclusive. I'd totally expect a Monster Hunter Portable 3rd G, or Portable 4th to be ported to PS3/Orbis.

You can scratch Metal Gear off that list, and it still proves you to be completely wrong. The "biggest" Japanese third-party titles announced for Vita before launch were all ports or multiplatform titles, and several of those have since become vaporware (FFX HD) or appear to have been cancelled entirely (ZOE HD, KojiPro Fox Engine titles).

I wasn't the one that brought up the pre launch announcements man, I even responded that I would be happy to adapt my stance based off what was actually announced pre launch since I wasn't interested in following eithers pre launch announcements.

You are being hostile over points I wasn't even trying to argue and was just responding to others on.

Are we talking your personal opinion on the quality of the games or sales potential?

A bit of both I suppose, I would view both as being in favor of vita launch lineup wise, less so on the latter then the former.

JordanN

Banned
If that's true, and it's only 3 years, then PSVita will for sure dominate the market on japan by the end of the generation.
I mean, it's monster hunter with HD graphics, while the 3DS iterations are even below what we saw on PSP in that regard.
Wait what?
BRKDdEy.jpg

BHkcQnY.jpg

The PSP game looks crappier to me.

Baki

i must have missed the announcement that 3ds and vita can communicate with each other or that nintendo and sony would allow it

There's a reason why multiplat titles like CoD are not compatible across platforms though. Different infrastructure, platform holders opposing said move, etc.

Vita and 3DS can communicate via Wifi (adhoc).

Sony is at Capcom's mercy when it comes to MH. I doubt they'd oppose it. At any rate, I only see Nintendo being the potential 'objector' but that is dependent on how much power they'd have on the decision. Otherwise, it's technically plausible.

Emitan

Sony is at Capcom's mercy when it comes to MH. I doubt they'd oppose it. At any rate, I only see Nintendo being the potential 'objector' but that is dependent on how much power they'd have on the decision. Otherwise, it's technically plausible.

So instead of using Nintendo's servers for Mon Hun or Sony's they would have to pay for hosting their own servers for the bizarre 5 Monster Hunter fans who refused to buy a Vita because ????

Cipherr

Its more than his argument relies on the fact that coop will NOT be cross platform. And he has very good reasoning for that. Unless you haven't been paying attention to handheld and console online gaming thusfar I don't see how you could disagree.

Thats how these things work.

FoneBone

I wasn't the one that brought up the pre launch announcements man, I even responded that I would be happy to adapt my stance based off what was actually announced pre launch since I wasn't interested in following eithers pre launch announcements.

You said this:
That third party lineup for the 3DS sure was so much better then the vita one at launch and for a while after launch wasn't it.

Then it reached a sales point where developers deemed it worthy of making there games for it and look where it's at now.
As if no big third party titles were announced until the resurgence post-price drop.

apparently the 3ds uses some funky wifi protocols for local multi

Baki

So instead of using Nintendo's servers for Mon Hun or Sony's they would have to pay for hosting their own servers for the bizarre 5 Monster Hunter fans who refused to buy a Vita because ????

It's local play, there are no servers. -_-ll

2San

The platform holders will never allow it.

Though there was a time when Square was so big that they could get away with it(FFXI was cross platform PC/PS2/XBOX360).

edit: Yeah and the whole 3DS can't communicate with the Vita problem, unless it's over the internet.

Baki

apparently the 3ds uses some funky wifi protocols for local multi

They cannot communicate over local play. Online would be the only option.

Wireless Protocols are at the application layer (layer 7 on the OSI model, layer 5 on the normal model). Also, the 3DS supports standard Wireless protocols for communication with a router (802.11b/g/n), which again, at the application layer can be used to communicate with the PSVita.

The platform holders will never allow it.

Though there was a time when Square was so big that they could get away with it(FFXI was cross platform PC/PS2/XBOX360).

edit: Yeah and the whole 3DS can't communicate with the Vita problem, unless it's over the internet.

Cross platform play can happen if the software house wants it. Your FFXI is a perfect example.

You said this:
As if no big third party titles were announced until the resurgence post-price drop.

That statement you quoted is talking about games that specifically were out at launch or shortly after, not stuff that was announced prior to launch but not out. Even then, I don't think that is a convincing enough lineup of vague pre launch announcements to rule out that the resurgence post price drop had a large part to play in the ever increasing amounts of third party support and sales the 3ds enjoyed.

If the way I stated it was confusing or misleading then that is my fault

Top Bottom