• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Monster Hunter Franchise "Handheld" Exclusive for 3 Years on 3DS

Emitan

The home of Monster Hunter portable is PSP
Capcom has ceased development of PSP games. The latest two Monster Hunter games are 3DS releases. 3DS is the home of Monster Hunter.

and wouldn't make sense for them to keep it exclusive if in 3DS doesn't get PSP-like sales.

Are you suggesting that it would sell BETTER on Vita?

yurinka

Even aside from Vita's overall sales, the MH4 talk would be a good deal more plausible if Capcom was otherwise a strong supporter of the platform.

Instead, they have nothing at all lined up for the future, and indeed haven't announced anything for it, even a multiplatform DD title, since UMVC3 was announced at TGS 2011.
The great Vita version of Street Fighter x Tekken with all its exclusive content, cross play, cross controller, DLC content in the card that is also unlocked in the PS3 version etc says hi!

farnham

Banned
Isn't FFXI the most profitable FF game? If so it makes perfect sense why they are desperate to try and save FFXIV. Also if the localisation hasn't already been finished for Type-O then it makes sense not to spend money on a PSP game.

At the sametime dqx, another mmorpg, already reached 400k in japan only and we hear nothing about a localization

The great Vita version of Street Fighter x Tekken with all its exclusive content, cross play, cross controller, DLC content in the card that is also unlocked in the PS3 version etc says hi!

All the games Capcom has released / announced on all other platforms than Vita say hi!

yurinka

Capcom has ceased development of PSP games. The latest two Monster Hunter games are 3DS releases. 3DS is the home of Monster Hunter.
I thought there was a MH puzzle spinoff announced for PSP and that they were releasing MH stuff on iOS.

Are you suggesting that it would sell BETTER on Vita?
I'm suggesting that Capcom will only get PSP numbers with MH4 if it's released as multiplatform since their MH on Nintendo platforms doesn't perform as it did in PSP.
All the games Capcom has released / announced on all other platforms than Vita say hi!
Which ones did they announced or released since SFxT Vita release?
Released SFxMega Man and DMC released, announced this Dragon's Dogma champion edition. They aren't even for portables.

Emitan

I'm suggesting that Capcom will only get PSP numbers with MH4 if it's released as multiplatform since their MH on Nintendo platforms doesn't perform as it did in PSP.

And then they would split the userbase. Which would mean they get less sales. Maybe 3G sold less than P3rd because there are more PSP owners than 3DS owners?

I thought there was another MH spinoff announced.

MHTri didn't do as well as the portable games because it was on a home console, which always sell less. MH3G was released when 3DS install base was small and no previous MH game before it, but still performed well, above Portable 2nd iirc. Now the next entry is releasing on 3DS with a much bigger base than before, it'll easily surpass at least 2G.

yurinka

And then they would split the userbase. Which would mean they get less sales. Maybe 3G sold less than P3rd because there are more PSP owners than 3DS owners?
Who cares if they split user base. Was it a problem for RE5, RE6, SFIV, MvsC3, UMvsC3, SFxT etc?

No, in fact all this Capcom multiplayer games sold more than their previous iterations last gen (DMC4 also can be included) because they were released as multiplatform, even if each platform had less sales than PS2.

farnham

Banned

3ds will have a different userbase when monster hunter 4 ships compared to when monster hunter tri g shipped. They are already over 10 million in japan alone
I thought there was a MH puzzle spinoff announced for PSP and that they were releasing MH stuff on iOS.

Which ones did they announced or released since SFxT Vita release?
Released SFxMega Man and DMC released, announced this Dragon's Dogma champion edition. They aren't even for portables.

Isnt vitas point of existence to play console games on the go?

VariantX

Its not even worth it at this point for capcom. Better for Sony to push games like soul sacrifice, pso2, and god eater, or something completely new to sell vitas. The difference in systems sold is like 10:1 in favor of Nintendo and its only going to get bigger when pokemon x/y hits the streets.

Mondriaan

Splitting the base is inevitable around the start of each new generation, so why worry about it?

Also, if they are interested in chasing a bigger user base, they will have to focus more on the single player experience anyway.

Emitan

Who cares if they split user base. Was it a problem for RE5, RE6, SFIV, MvsC3, UMvsC3, SFxT etc?

No, in fact all this Capcom multiplayer games sold more than their previous iterations last gen (DMC4 also can be included) because they were released as multiplatform, even if each platform had less sales than PS2.

Those. Are. Not. Local. Handheld. Titles.

All of those games have online. They are all on consoles where you don't need two consoles and two copies of the game to play locally. Charelquin has explained AT LENGTH why such a comparison is inaccurate.

yurinka

Its not even worth it at this point for capcom. Better for Sony to push games like soul sacrifice, pso2, and god eater, or something completely new to sell vitas. The difference in systems sold is like 10:1 in favor of Nintendo and its only going to get bigger when pokemon x/y hits the streets.
Was it worth for Capcom when they decided to release the Capcom 5 in Gamecube, games like SFIII on Dreamcast, Ultimate Ghost & Goblins on PSP or their Saturn fighters?
There were other systems selling a lot more at that time.
Capcom's Ice cold answer to Monster Hunter 4 Vita Rumors:

F6EKzfV.png
His typical reply for rumors. Ask him if they have an exclusive agreement for MH during 3 years on 3DS. If he doesn't the same, he will laugh.
How do you know that?
Comparing separate MH PSP Japan LTD (including TheBest) sales numbers vs MH 3DS Japan LTD sales numbers.

I could swear that at the time MH was announced for 3DS it came with an exclusivity agreement in the same vein as the one Nintendo had with SE for Dragon Quest X. It's weird to learn only now that there was actually no public announcement regarding an exclusivity deal.

That was announced way back at E3 2011, and thus supports my point.

The third parties that are still on board with Vita - Bamco, Koei Tecmo - have kept periodically announcing Vita ports throughout 2012. Capcom is not among them.

VariantX

Was it worth for Capcom when they decided to release the Capcom 5 in Gamecube, games like SFIII on Dreamcast, Ultimate Ghost & Goblins on PSP or their Saturn fighters?
There were other systems selling a lot more at that time.

Apparently not, since most of the capcom 5 were ported to the console with the bigger installed base.

farnham

Banned
Yurinka.. Just out of curiosity. Are we talking about the game labo rumor? Because that magazine has a certain reputation.

yurinka

Apparently not, since most of the capcom 5 were ported to the console with the bigger installed base.
Then check IPs like Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Resident Evil, DMC, SF, Final Fight, Mega Man Legends etc. Were released in a console and then ported/moved to multi to another(s) with a lower installed base.

yurinka

Yurinka.. Just out of curiosity. Are we talking about the game labo rumor? Because that magazine has a certain reputation.
No, I call this rumor bullshit. Just like the one in the OP made by a random forum user years ago which was made with other logical predictions.
Capcom just like multi, as they stated as corporate strategy since a lot of years ago in their fiscal year reports.
This mixed with sales numbers, what Capcom or Sony hinted sometimes and the experience with similar Capcom exclusives lead me to think that Vita will get its MH.
Did Capcom released or announced other portable games since SFxT Vita release? (or after UMvsC3 Vita what was what I replied)

Subtle

I don't understand how you can compare the sales of TriG to any PSP MH. The only comparison will be MH4 and P2G, maybe P3.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Then check IPs like Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Resident Evil, DMC, SF, Final Fight, Mega Man Legends etc. Were released in a console and then ported/moved to multi to another(s) with a lower installed base.

Neh that's pretty much incorrect if your implying the PS3 to Xxbox 360 move as Xbox had a larger install base world wide, and they ported itin order to advantage of larger worldwide install base which the Vita doesn't even have. Was DMC ported to the gamecube, same wih many others.

The home of Monster Hunter portable is PSP, and their games run on Vita. The only reason they had to decide to release in 3DS when they did it was due to bigger sales of DS, now that Nintendo's handheld is powerful enough. Capcom use to release their games everywhere they can. They never said that Vita won't get MH and wouldn't make sense for them to keep it exclusive if in 3DS doesn't get PSP-like sales.

Capcom is not interested in the failure that is the Vita. They release their games on successful consoles where their games will sell. I don't think they would have released on the Wii U either, if it wasn't for Nintendo moneyhatting them.

Capcom just like multi, as they stated as corporate strategy since a lot of years ago in their fiscal year reports.

There are lots of devices out there. Multi is about selling on two consoles because thats how to best get two markets.

Yet on the 3DS Capcom have brought the PSP market to the 3DS and also selling on the Nintendo userbase.

Honestly. Why release on Vita? Straight forward motivation for them to release MH on Vita?

yurinka

Neh that's pretty much incorrect if your implying the PS3 to Xxbox 360 move as Xbox had a larger install base world wide, and they ported itin order to advantage of larger worldwide install base which the Vita doesn't even have. Was DMC ported to the gamecube, same wih many others.
X360 IPs went multi or ported to PS3 when 360 had a bigger user base.
SNES went multi or ported to Genesis/Sega CD when SNES had a bigger user base.
DMC went from PS2/PS3 exclusive to multi when PS3 wasn't even released.
Mega Man Legends was even ported as PSP launch game.
Capcom is not interested in the failure that is the Vita. They release their games on successful consoles where their games will sell. I don't think they would have released on the Wii U, either, if it wasn't for Nintendo moneyhatting them.
It wasn't only Vita or WiiU, Capcom also strongly supported devices like Dreamcast or Saturn when they knew their install base was small.
Honestly. Why release on Vita? Straight forward motivation for them to release MH on Vita?
Extra revenue from a cheap port as Capcom typical does (see SFIV3D or UMvsC3 Vita), and to don't have to worry if a device sells more than other in the future. Specially if some release of games like this and a pricecut revives sales as happened in 3DS or others. It also would help with their rellationship with Sony, which would help Capcom in next gen home console games.
Multiplatform has been a win-win situation for Capcom always, and if they didn't implemented in portables was because DS wasn't capable technically. Which all these home console IPs on 3DS proves.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
X360 IPs went multi or ported to PS3 when 360 had a bigger user base.
SNES went multi or ported to Genesis/Sega CD when SNES had a bigger user base.
DMC went from PS2/PS3 exclusive to multi when PS3 wasn't even released.
Mega Man Legends was even ported as PSP launch game.

Name specfiic games and DMC example is worthless. It's not about going multiplatform in way of bets on successful systems Capcom on the 3ds already did that. It's porting from proven platforms and to be precise a completely dominating system to an almost dead system. PS2 to gamecube type deals. How many of Capcoms biggest franchises went the other way around from PS2 to Gamecube. Since that's the closest example Either that or dreamcast/xbox.

Takao

Banned
Capcom is not interested in the failure that is the Vita. They release their games on successful consoles where their games will sell. I don't think they would have released on the Wii U either, if it wasn't for Nintendo moneyhatting them.

Capcom continues to release Monster Hunter Frontier expansions on the Xbox 360 exclusively in Japan. If Vita is a walking corpse, 360 has been dry bones for years now.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Capcom continues to release Monster Hunter Frontier expansions on the Xbox 360 exclusively in Japan. If Vita is a walking corpse, 360 has been dry bones for years now.

They don't get mainline monster hunters and that was probably a deal with microsoft.

Trike

Sounds like this could be true enough, but I don't think Capcom is going to jump ship from 3DS to Vita anytime soon. Already have a solid foundation on the 3DS, and the game was built specifically for the 3DS. I think the Monster Hunter fandom has moved to the 3DS in Japan too, considering it's recent releases.

I don't see Monster Hunter 4 coming to the Vita. Maybe a Monster Hunter Portable 4th or something though, down the line. Would rather see 4 come to the Wii U.

I've always felt like MHFO is a project that's sponsored / partially funded by Microsoft to try and keep the 360 relevant in Japan. Capcom probably agreed to the Nintendo 3DS exclusive deal because of how well the 3DS is doing in Japan. The 3DS is a natural fit for MH4.

Extra revenue from a cheap port as Capcom typical does (see SFIV3D or UMvsC3 Vita), and to don't have to worry if a device sells more than other in the future. Specially if some release of games like this and a pricecut revives sales as happened in 3DS or others. It also would help with their rellationship with Sony, which would help Capcom in next gen home console games.

My counter to this is Capcom is assuming Sony can't create a very effective userbase (they haven't) and as such when MH4 comes to 3DS, anyone interested in MH4 will move to 3DS.

Sales are unaffected. Going to Vita gives them a lesser relationship with Nintendo, more costs and generally the person who benefits most is Sony.

Capcom are actively trying to create a single system situation with Nintendo. They actually don't want Vita to gain a userbase. If it does from a pricecut or games? I suspect you might see something.

I just feel theres more chance of Capcom launching their own handheld than going to Vita unless Sony appear competitive.

yurinka

Name specfiic games and DMC example is worthless. It's not about going multiplatform in way of bets on successful systems Capcom on the 3ds already did that. It's porting from proven platforms and to be precise a completely dominating system to an almost dead system. PS2 to gamecube type deals. How many of Capcoms biggest franchises went the other way around from PS2 to Gamecube. Since that's the closest example Either that or dreamcast/xbox.
The 3 DMC games were released on PS2 and worked really well. PS2 had a huge, huge market share.
DMC4 was announced for PS3, but before PS3 release it was announced for 360 even if the original Xbox had a small market share. DMC4 ended selling more than PS2 games.
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html
Another example closer to what you ask, RE Wii on rail shooters ported to Move, which I assume it had 1/10 the userbase of Wii at least.
Other example of Capcom giving games (in this case exclusives) to consoles with a really weak userbase : Dungeons and Dragons arcade games and other 2D brawlers of fighters released as Saturn as exclusive, SFIII or Project Justice on Dreamcast.

Kazerei

Banned

Those. Are. Not. Local. Handheld. Titles.

All of those games have online. They are all on consoles where you don't need two consoles and two copies of the game to play locally. Charelquin has explained AT LENGTH why such a comparison is inaccurate.

I guess it needs to be posted again.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45711153&postcount=848

The only problem with MH being exclusive to a Nintendo handheld is that other high tier series like Pokemon may eat into its potential sales, while on the PSP there wasn't anything that prevented MH from being king.

yurinka

I understand what he says, but all their friends who purchased MH on PSP (which is the big group) would be able to use them on Vita, and not in 3DS. This is what why I insisted on it. Maybe it's the reason of why they didn't jump to MH 3DS.
Consider that MH fans have saves with hundreds if not thousands of hours it isn't a random thing the saves and your guild in this particular game.
Most of them still didn't got MH in 3DS if you compare the sales of the games, so they're more likely to want to play it on Vita if MH4 ends being released as multi because it also would allow them to play the PSP games too. Or some groups would do it in a device and others in the another in the case that they got 3DS for other games.
Not in Japan.
Capcom also cares about the money from other markets

The only problem with MH being exclusive to a Nintendo handheld is that other high tier series like Pokemon can eat into its potential sales, while on the PSP there wasn't anything that prevented MH being king.
why will pokemon eats into its sales when they are different kinds of games? If anything it will increase sales as Pokemon xy will help sell more systems, more systems =more chance of sales for mh4

And its yurinka vs everyone here, even Takao.....

Kazerei

Banned
I agree what he says, but all their friends who purchased MH on PSP (which is the big group) would be able to use them on Vita, and not in 3DS.

Only if they purchased it digitally, which is rare in Japan.

Most of them still didn't got MH in 3DS if you compare the sales of the games, so instead of to play it on 3DS they'll play it on Vita if MH4 ends being released as multi.

The whole point is to explain why it won't be released as multi.

Most of them still didn't got MH in 3DS if you compare the sales of the games, so they're more likely to want to play it on Vita if MH4 ends being released as multi because it also would allow them to play the PSP games too. Or some groups would do it in a device and others in the another in the case that they got 3DS for other games.

Then why don't they own a Vita?
Anyway the 3DS game has sold amazingly well and should be good for 2M.

Why would they buy a Vita (which can't run their old PSP games) if MH is on the 3DS?

Takao

Banned
I've always felt like MHFO is a project that's sponsored / partially funded by Microsoft to try and keep the 360 relevant in Japan. Capcom probably agreed to the Nintendo 3DS exclusive deal because of how well the 3DS is doing in Japan. The 3DS is a natural fit for MH4.

What exactly would prevent Sony from paying Capcom ___ million to ensure Vita becomes a relevant platform in Japan? This rumor? If this rumor is correct, the deal is up either the end of this year (as MHTriG entered development in 2010) or next year. At that point I don't think Nintendo would particularly care about Vita. 3DS would likely be around, or have surpassed the PSP's LTD in Japan by then, and the majority of the platform's big system sellers will have been released. The only ones that wouldn't would be stuff like a Dragon Quest XI, and Final Fantasy remakes which would sell well with/without Vita in the picture.

A direct port of MH4 to launch simultaneously with the 3DS version is naive for a variety of reasons, the least of which is some rumored deal. A Monster Hunter Portable 4th (which wouldn't be a main series game) released after the 3DS games? Well, if Sony wants to save Vita I would expect it. Of course whether or not Sony wants to save Vita is another story.

Monster hunter did save PSP in the past. If Sony can drop 100 dollars off the price and get monster hunter it'll be just enough to get it started.

Top Bottom