• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] NateDrake aka Nate the Hate said that FF7R ports on Switch 2 and/or Xbox are currently not in Square Enix's plans

ReBurn

Gold Member
So no change from months and months ago when FF7 Remake didn't release for Xbox or Switch. Feels like a lame rumor when the thing already didn't happen.

Topher

Gold Member
Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

DJ12

Somewhere 3 xbox and 2 Ninentdo fans are crying about this.

People who like Final Fantasy are all on board with ps5 already.

It's been 4 years since FF7R came out and the PS exclusive on consoles has not yet been surpassed, it could be that there are no other exclusives on other systems and they are not even mentioned.

Different guy. Unfortunately, that other leaker's background is a little sketchy and Nate is notoriously unreliable so we still know basically nothing.

Oh, that's another guy. Now this guy's (Nate) unreliable too? Holy fuck, how many of these guys are looking for clout?

Who have we got left? That insidergaming guy and that nvidia leaker, kopite7kimi on X, for Switch leaks? Insidergaming hasn't posted anything Switch related recently IIRC.

Gojiira

Yeah totally depends on the nature of Playstations Exclusivity, everyone assumes its timed, as in timed before other possible console launches. Given how Sony not only provided marketing, software, staff etc its more likely its Timed exclusive before a PC release only.

Darsxx82

Anyone is a credible insider today.....🙃

But the fact is that this Nate has already lost his chance by missing more than a cane shotgun....

The collaboration agreement with XBOX was just a month ago, which coincides with the change of Boss at Square and the announcement of the new multiplatform strategy. Even Square's PR is on Twitter defending the arrival of FF to Xbox and why Is better not yo do PS exclusives in future projects.

It is clear that if a port to Xbox and Switch 2 is a possibility, it is a very recent issue for an "insider" to be aware of.

In the end, future will say.

Last edited:

Belthazar

I fully expect the Remake Trilogy to to come to Nintendo and Xbox, but only a few years after the remaster of the third part releases on PS6.

Last edited:
Anyone is a credible insider today.....🙃

But the fact is that this Nate has already lost his chance by missing more than a cane shotgun....

The collaboration agreement with XBOX was just a month ago, which coincides with the change of Boss at Square and the announcement of the new multiplatform strategy. Even Square's PR is on Twitter defending the arrival of FF to Xbox and why Is better not yo do PS exclusives in future projects.

It is clear that if a port to Xbox and Switch 2 is a possibility, it is a very recent issue for an "insider" to be aware of.

In the end, future will say.

Didn't the Octopath Traveler 2 news assuming it was going to Game Pass turn out to be a bunch of BS? As for the ex-SE guy (I imagine this is who you're referring to when bringing up PR), quite a few of his takes were kind of dumb or misinformed. He no longer works for S-E though, so not really sure what his opinion on things has to do with S-E at current.

Ozriel

M$FT
Didn't the Octopath Traveler 2 news assuming it was going to Game Pass turn out to be a bunch of BS? As for the ex-SE guy (I imagine this is who you're referring to when bringing up PR), quite a few of his takes were kind of dumb or misinformed. He no longer works for S-E though, so not really sure what his opinion on things has to do with S-E at current.

What part of what he said was ‘dumb and misinformed’?

The part about how putting the games on Xbox, or having advertising with Xbox, would lead to more sales on PlayStation. He is probably thinking about instances where games on Game Pass might've boosted sales of that game on PlayStation, but he wasn't referring to a Game Pass strategy with the Xbox stuff.

Not only that, but very few games on Game Pass have seen big increases in sales on PlayStation and, if they have, it's under very specific conditions. Usually, if we're talking big games, it's when that game is about to leave Game Pass, encouraging people to pick it up if it's on sale so they can continue playing it. That's happened with GTA5 a few times.

But, at least a few other games, indies included, haven't seen big increases in sales on PlayStation due to Xbox advertising, or being in Game Pass. The logical conclusion would be, if you're getting more advertising and profile on Xbox, that would increase sales...on Xbox. Which to a 3P, wouldn't matter; a sale is a sale. I just think his logic on that point was kinda dumb.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Everything he said was dumb.

He praises the State of Plays and how it helps marketing and sales. But why would Sony host State of Plays if SquareEnix gets out of exclusivity and marketing deals with Sony? How will they get Sony's marketing without those deals?

And if they do give Sony the marketing rights, why would Xbox put billboards for a game that Sony has the marketing rights for?

No reason he is the former Director.

Darsxx82

Don't take him seriously, it's just him feeling insecure...
What does the non-release of Octo 2 have to do with?

The issue is that its release has been announced when no one thought about the possibility and when someone only believed in the suitability of its launch if it was through gamepass and by MS.

Then, the words of someone close and knowledgeable about Square's strategy seem very relevant to me. That you think they are just the words of a fool seems great to me, but don't pretend that we all have to have the same opinion and believe that what he says is nonsense. Even less when we come from a grand presentation of the new boss of Square together with P. Spencer announcing a collaboration agreement to everyone and wanting to think It Is nothing more than Phil PR empty.

Clearly I have no idea what will happen in the future. You also don't know enough to launch accusations of misinformation when the thread itself is about a rumor coming from an unreliable insider.
But ok, I understand that it is only a result of your insecurities when there is someone who does not rule out a possibility that, whether you like it or not, seems not to be completely ruled out in view of the new situation.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
In other news, SE hates money.
SE gets plenty of money from Sony. They also save development money that they would spend on porting.

Having said that, I think FF7 will come to Nintendo because it'll be a profitable port. I can't say the same about Xbox for its potential profitability unless Microsoft gives them upfront money with a Game Pass deal.

FFVIIR coming to Switch 2 was never a factor in me purchasing it. Especially since I have it on PC.
Rumor means squat for a person, such as myself.

Ozriel

M$FT

He praises the State of Plays and how it helps marketing and sales. But why would Sony host State of Plays if SquareEnix gets out of exclusivity and marketing deals with Sony? How will they get Sony's marketing without those deals?

There are multiple games without PlayStation exclusivity that have had trailers at State of Play events. You don’t need to have a marketing deal or exclusivity for that.
It’s still a significant benefit for Sony if a prominent third party AAA JRPG sells very well on PlayStation.

You can also have marketing deals without exclusivity. Hogwarts legacy had a PlayStation marketing deal but certainly wasn’t exclusive.

And if they do give Sony the marketing rights, why would Xbox put billboards for a game that Sony has the marketing rights for?

He never mentioned the xbox billboard thing as happening at the same time as a PlayStation marketing deal. He only mentioned a trailer at PlayStation SOP.

You folks have misinterpreted his words.

Ozriel

M$FT
SE gets plenty of money from Sony. They also save development money that they would spend on porting.

Having said that, I think FF7 will come to Nintendo because it'll be a profitable port. I can't say the same about Xbox for its potential profitability unless Microsoft gives them upfront money with a Game Pass deal.

Looks like Square’s new leadership disagrees with you.

They’ll be much more multiplatform going forward, especially with the new Switch in the picture. And I’m not sure taking money up front for exclusivity is enough to cover for not being able to expand your brand to more customers.

I thought this was already running on switch 2 with PS5 equivalent settings! Which of these rumors sounds more believable one just cannot say 🤷

SaintALia

They are not preparing a port of one of their most successful games to put on a system which is a sequel to the only real hardware in Japan doing decent numbers software and hardware wise consistently, at launch?

That seems incredibly stupid if so, so it's probably true. But it's probably not up to SE anyway. I'd probably guess Sony is paying to keep key games off competitor platforms, or platforms that can pose any real threat to a day 1 PSX version anyway.

It's making me wonder if that MHWw rumour is true. Sony would pay to keep that exclusive for a limited time, but would Capcom actually bite, given that it would be MH on a portable platform.

SaintALia

I thought this was already running on switch 2 with PS5 equivalent settings! Which of these rumors sounds more believable one just cannot say 🤷
Both can be true. A tech demo doesn't mean it'll release, and they can port it to the console at any time if they choose to, if they got it running.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
That also implies that the timed exclusivity period has been over, and Sony isn't preventing any ports.
This is know since forever.. just wished it was more clearly said by the companies so we didnt get the basic "sonytoo member ff7r I member" in every discussion about acquisitions and exclusivity

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That also implies that the timed exclusivity period has been over, and Sony isn't preventing any ports.

We don't know because none of the parties has outright talked about it.

But ...

Then there is contracts with Sony and Nintendo.

He didnt' say anything about marketing rights, :pie_thinking:

He said if a game is coming to both platforms, Xbox/MS are likely to put more ads for it, which makes sense if you think about it, because they would have a tougher road selling their version for a franchise that is generally more associated with PS. Even if those billboards end up in more people picking the other versions, that's free marketing that would have cost Square hundred(s) of thousands(s) of dollars.

"An FF title having its latest gameplay revealed in another State of Play doesn't expand the audience. But Xbox putting out billboards for your title in Times Square can drive more awareness (even if it probably leads to sales on PlayStation rather than Xbox, this is still good for SQEX.)"

Weird dig here Heis :p

He's a former business director, I reckon he knows what he's talking about.

Also, he's the CEO of a different company now, he kinda upgraded.

Rumors are like assholes, everyone has one and everyone's can be different than the others.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We don't know because none of the parties has outright talked about it.

But ...

He didnt' say anything about marketing rights, :pie_thinking:

He said if a game is coming to both platforms, Xbox/MS are likely to put more ads for it, which makes sense if you think about it, because they would have a tougher road selling their version for a franchise that is generally more associated with PS. Even if those billboards end up in more people picking the other versions, that's free marketing that would have cost Square hundred(s) of thousands(s) of dollars.

"An FF title having its latest gameplay revealed in another State of Play doesn't expand the audience. But Xbox putting out billboards for your title in Times Square can drive more awareness (even if it probably leads to sales on PlayStation rather than Xbox, this is still good for SQEX.)"

Weird dig here Heis :p

He's a former business director, I reckon he knows what he's talking about.

Also, he's the CEO of a different company now, he kinda upgraded.

Rumors are like assholes, everyone has one and everyone's can be different than the others.

He said "billboard ads". You can't do that if your competitor has marketing rights.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
He said "billboard ads". You can't do that if your competitor has marketing rights.

When the game is on multiple platforms, there's no reason to give exclusive rights to one vendor.

Sega gave different privileges to either Sony or MS depending on the region for some of their games like Yakuza LaD, as an example.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
When the game is on multiple platforms, there's no reason to give exclusive rights to one vendor.

Sega gave different privileges to either Sony or MS depending on the region for some of their games like Yakuza LaD, as an example.
And that is perfectly fine and normal. But in that case, Sony wouldn't do State of Plays.

And that was exactly my point if you read my first comment again.

SqureEnix can't have both, as this idiotic former Business Director was suggesting: Sony hosting State of Plays and Xbox spending money on billboards advertising the game. It's childish to even think about a scenario like this.

Top Bottom