• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Playstation Vita; HDMI port, 4G, memory card price cut

-MB-

What about that mystery port on the OG Vita?
I assume people who own those would be able to buy a special cable to use that as hdmi out right?

Something interesting from Patent Bolt:

NOTE: Yes this is a picture of the devkit. However, it appears Sony has published a new patent on February 7th. Sony's patent filing specifically states that the next generation PS Vita will gain USB, HDMI and a power supply connector described as a parallelepiped connector.
Head mounted S3D glasses with camera coming in 2014 according to the Leaked Xbox 720 powerpoint so this might allow the new Vita to interface with the new glasses for Augmented Reality. 720P S3D appears to be the common 3D resolution between platforms and for the PS4 camera.

RWW%2520Xbox%2520Fortaleza-glasses.jpg

Syriel

Don't know how reliable GamerXchange is, obviously I've never heard of it, still considered a rumor nonetheless:

Something interesting from Patent Bolt:

NOTE: Yes this is a picture of the devkit. However, it appears Sony has published a new patent on February 7th.

Wow. So much excitement over a Vita developer unit.

The patent describes the latest dev unit. That's it.

It is not describing a consumer unit.

The patent was filed months ago. It was just published last week.

This is not unusual for patents.

False hype is false.

While I think a new vita model could be interesting... It concerns me that they would be putting out another offering when they've done so poorly with marketing the original to begin with. However I could see the thought process of a new model inspiring some market excitement.

And damn the memory card price cut... I bought a 32gig literally 4 days ago.

Wow. So much excitement over a Vita developer unit.

The patent describes the latest dev unit. That's it.

It is not describing a consumer unit.

The patent was filed months ago. It was just published last week.

This is not unusual for patents.

False hype is false.

Websites are still reporting "sources" telling them a new Vita revision will happen, if you would read the OP.

DBT85

Websites are still reporting "sources" telling them a new Vita revision will happen, if you would read the OP.

My source says that water is wet.

Predicting certainties is easy. We know there will be a revision, they have done it with every console they ever released and Yoshida has said they are looking at it months ago.

Vita coild definitely benefit from a pricecut and other enhanchments such as improved battery life, which isn't that hard to do if you shrink the CPU/GPU, but it still needs a solid game lineup. And even then, I doubt it will reach the PSP's sales. The market has shifted into tablets and phones and people are spending more of their money on those devices, which automaticaly reduces the market size for dedicated portables.

nikos

I have yet to activate the 3G service on my Vita, and I've had it since launch day, so I can probably skip this revision.

My source says that water is wet.

Predicting certainties is easy. We know there will be a revision, they have done it with every console they ever released and Yoshida has said they are looking at it months ago.

Well sure, they're saying we'll see it at the Playstation meeting. I see you're having some problems with the thread, my bad.

The_Monk

I've been looking to get a PS Vita for some time now. It's 199€ the Wi-fi model.

But I guess I should now wait a bit more, right fellow GAFfers?

DBT85

Well sure, they're saying we'll see it at the Playstation meeting. I see you're having some problems with the thread, my bad.

No problems at all.

But 4G isn't launched in many countries yet, the 3G version sold like ass, the patent is for a devkit and it specifically says the price will remain the same despite everyone everywhere saying that a price cut is what is needed including Yoshida mentioning making the Vita for a lower price months ago. Also the revision might be shown now or at E3 but not go on sale until alter in the year? It would halt sales of the existing model, that's why they always have them available within a few weeks of the announcement.

The credible things from the source are that memory prices will drop that it will get a new firmware update. Neither of which does it take a Nostradamus to predict, both of which could easily be announced at the PS Meeting.

It's not been covered on any larger gaming sites that I'm aware of either.

If a revision IS at the PlayStation Meeting, then I expect it to be on store shelves by the end of February. I also expect it to be cheaper and possibly include an HDMI but not 4G.

Syriel

True, but one has to wonder how accurate those "sources" are when all those websites saw an image of a current Vita developer unit and immediately assumed it was a new retail unit.

I mean, realistically, if these "sources" with "inside information" don't know what a dev unit looks like, you have to take any claim they make with a MASSIVE grain of salt. Someone who has never seen a Vita dev unit probably doesn't have a whole lot of "inside information" about the Vita.

Takao

Banned
Does this site not know what a price drop is, or am I reading something wrong? This new 4G model will be $299 ... which is the current price point for the 3G model. The Wi-Fi model will stay at $249.

howisthatapricedrop

Rubius

As a huge fan of the Vita, I hope Sony brings the ruckus and annonces a hardware and memory card price drop. They need to get the Vita in more hands.

0.jpg

Also if the revision does have HDMI out and a better battery I will be picking up a second unit.

Pretty much the same here, if I can plug my Vita to my Television, it could be sweet. And I hope the price drop is AT LEAST 40%.

Pretty much the same here, if I can plug my Vita to my Television, it could be sweet. And I hope the price drop is AT LEAST 40%.

At $150, I'd buy one very soon if not immediately. Should have never sold it in the first place. I feel like an idiot.

Also, I keep getting 504 errors on gaf today. PS4 brewing?

I really don't get the desire for HDMI out on the Vita, I personally don't want to be teathered to my TV, that's why Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft give us wireless controllers.

clav

Hmm, price drop in Japan. This should definitely translate to other regions, and sounds like a good segue into a new revision.

I think it only happened because the Japanese government is trying to help businesses by inflating the value of Yen, which will increase the overall Japanese revenue from sales.

Sony then dropped the price after inflation as Yen used to be as low as 60-70 per USD. Now it's at 92.

I think it only happened because the Japanese government is trying to help businesses by inflating the value of Yen, which will increase the overall Japanese revenue from sales.

Sony then dropped the price after inflation as Yen used to be as low as 60-70 per USD. Now it's at 92.

Sony is a Japanese company which aims to make money in JPY, not foreign currencies. JPY depreciation has nothing to do with this.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't get the desire for HDMI out on the Vita, I personally don't want to be teathered to my TV, that's why Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft give us wireless controllers.

If I'm going to be sitting in front of my TV while I'm playing the game, I'd rather play it on the TV instead of on the small portable screen. I never play my portable game systems outside the house.

Would be even better if you could sync a PS3 controller with it (couldn't you do this with the Go?) so you aren't tethered to the TV.

casmith07

I bought one at launch, played Uncharted, and returned it.

LOVED the hardware, didn't love the lack of software.

I WILL buy another one if it has a price drop. Plus, I really want PSO 2.

Hmm, price drop in Japan. This should definitely translate to other regions, and sounds like a good segue into a new revision.

The Wifi/3G pricing parity confirms they'll be changing something regards to their 2 units, either eliminating one of them or making a new 4G one, but god knows how long it'll take them to clear current stock...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

When public transportation isn't an option, there's really no good opportunities to play portables elsewhere. If I'm out, I have a reason for it and won't be sitting around playing a game somewhere. Whether it's working, shopping, or whatever.

Portability has been a total non-factor for me since I graduated high school.

I would look at getting one just so I could have something to quickly get in to and out of, whether I'm resting after work or in bed. I can't see myself using it in public other than at the airport.

SiDCrAzY

If/when a Vita revision comes out I'm not getting it until a white version comes out. After going from black to white with my current Vita, I just can't see myself going back. Unless it's matte black or something..

Syriel

PlayStation event over.

As expected, wishful thinking by anonymous "sources" didn't magically turn an old patent drawing of a dev unit into a new consumer product.

It always pays to be critical of a source when said source insists on remaining anonymous.

Top Bottom