• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Wii U controller (analog sticks)?

Oh yeah I agree. But this was clearly something they struggled with last gen, you'd think if they had any problems they could look for some inspiration elsewhere, or at least communicate with 3rd parties.

I think some think they don't know how to implement all this.

I think they just don't care to or it's not a big priority.

They will bend though if it's a major thing.

I'm not defending it, I'm deflating the outrageous indignation against it.

NO COMMUNICATION SYSTEM IS PERFECT. PSN isn't. XBL isn't. Hell, even the systems we have had to communicate for the past several hundred years aren't perfect.

But you don't see people looking at the telephone system and going "10-digit numbers? GOD, it's 2012, WTF is this shit?!"

That's the difference. Some people don't understand the huge fucking deal people are making out of it.

If a company came out with an account system for your phone that used a name you bet people would complain about 10 digits. There is countless companies that do just that in the tech industry so no there is no defending the fc and that IS what you are doing. Its horrible.

rpmurphy

I want a system where my screen name doesn't have to be my account name and doesn't need to be unique. I don't give a shit if the account name is some random generated string, but I'd prefer it to be alphanumeric (and therefore shorter), and I want regular invites.
Yeah this is what I'm saying. Ideally, being able to search friends by display name and Mii would be the best system that Nintendo can do.

If a company came out with an account system for your phone that used a name you bet people would complain about 10 digits. There is countless companies that do just that in the tech industry so no there is no defending the fc and that IS what you are doing. Its horrible.

Just because it's bad doesn't mean it's worth outrage. It's not a big deal. It's just online gaming. As long as the single player stuff is good who cares?

jacksrb

What a damn exciting news day!

Controller is looking good. Seems like porting PS360 games will be easier with the control layout.

As much as I love the Wii-mote + nunchuck - it had to be tough to port control configurations with so many fewer buttons.

Also, why do people say that the buttons under the right stick would be less comfortable? I know it is different, but...

Just because it's bad doesn't mean it's worth outrage. It's not a big deal. It's just online gaming. As long as the single player stuff is good who cares?

Because when i want to add a friend i dont want to have to remember 12 random numbers nor should i have to. I have a nick that i chose for the 360, PS3, Vita, Steam, EA Origin, GoG, Battlenet, but not for Nintendo. Its horrible. Its not excusable. It wasnt excusable un 2006 with the Wii. Wasnt excusable in 2011 with the 3ds. Wont be excusable in 2012 with Wii U. But we will still have folks defending it like you and terrell.

Mikey Jr.

Nintendo are known to appeal to kids, right? Games for everyone, and all that.

Is it a good idea to be giving them an Ipad sized controller and a huge screen in the middle?

I can't imagine a child being able to wield that beast with any sort of care.

ampere

I could see an account system that assigns you a unique numeric code which you overlay with a username. I'd prefer something like that anyways.

It would also be interesting if there was a friend search that worked like Facebook.

I like the blizzard battletag system, you pick any username and it gets 4 randomly generated numbers after it.

Terrell

But do you consider it "inexcusable" that we still use telephone numbers?

KillGore

I personally think phone numbers will be obsolete in the future, it's stupid to have numbers, when you can call via internet by choosing the place, without the need for numbers.

Numbers will be obsolete just like house phones will be in a few more years.

Come at me bros.

I never even noticed or cared about octagonal or regular, I'm in that camp.

And telephone numbers as a defense for friend codes, that's a new one for me.

Orayn

Is it a good idea to be giving them an Ipad sized controller and a huge screen in the middle?

The return of Nintendium construction is the solution.

rpmurphy

I personally think phone numbers will be obsolete in the future, it's stupid to have numbers, when you can call via internet by choosing the place, without the need for numbers. Come at me bros.

Numbers will be obsolete just like house phones should, or will be in a few more years.
Consider this: the only true universal character set is the numeric character set 0-9. Telephone numbers won't go away any time soon.

Did you not read the post? If someone came up with a better system? Hell yes. Also comparing the two is ridiculous in of itself.

You dont have a new gen of phones. The phone number system isnt owned and operated by a private company that can create a universal system for all of its customers every 5 years.

Instro

Nintendo appeals to everyone, and everyone owns various idevices like ipads. I don't think this is an issue.

backlot

I personally think phone numbers will be obsolete in the future, it's stupid to have numbers, when you can call via internet by choosing the place, without the need for numbers. Come at me bros.

Numbers will be obsolete just like house phones will be in a few more years.

I don't understand the concept here. They connect to the internet and choose a place? Do I have to set up an account for this with my cell phone?

well, at least they are not supposed to wave in around it the air and around their heads... [I mean, if they kids managed not to use Wiimotes as bats and punish their siblings and home, etc. they will definitely know how to use this]

Plus, lots of kids already have iPads, and they are all 10" devices

I don't understand the concept here. They connect to the internet and choose a place? Do I have to set up an account for this with my cell phone?
Are you implicitly confirming home phones are absolute?!

Because they're awful? If you want 8-way movement get a d-pad.

I dunno. I'm like AceBandage. It's just not that big of a deal. I think I like having the gates, but that's what I'm most used to.

When I need to make precise analog movements at, say, 30 degrees, I've never had a problem before.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Because they're awful? If you want 8-way movement get a d-pad.
That's just stupid. The octagonal shape on Nintendo's other controllers don't restrict movement at all. They act as guides to for accurate directions. There extremely useful in platformers or any game that requires precise movements.

wsippel

Banned
Because when i want to add a friend i dont want to have to remember 12 random numbers nor should i have to. I have a nick that i chose for the 360, PS3, Vita, Steam, EA Origin, GoG, Battlenet, but not for Nintendo. Its horrible. Its not excusable. It wasnt excusable un 2006 with the Wii. Wasnt excusable in 2011 with the 3ds. Wont be excusable in 2012 with Wii U. But we will still have folks defending it like you and terrell.
On Nintendo systems, you do have a screen name you chose yourself. That's the name everyone sees in their friends lists or in games. It's just not the account name you use to register someone on your friends list. Which is basically the exact same as Steam in many cases, as Steam also allows you to use different screen and account names (something most people on my friends list seem to do). And like any good online system, Steam screen names, like Nintendo Network screen names, don't have to be unique. Forced unique screen names are what actually needs to die a horrible death and what's completely inexcusable.

Also, doesn't Battle.net add a random number to your screen name to allow for duplicates? It's not 12 digits, but it's still something random and arbitrary you have to remember.

Truth101

Banned
Yes you do. It's created when you register the device to Nintendo's servers. You're just giving it a display name, but the unique ID is still limited to that server-generated numeric ID, not a unique alphanumeric ID that you can choose for yourself.

Okay, I'll be more clear.

The Wii has

1) A system based friendcode
2) Software based friendcodes

The 3DS has
1) A system based friendcode

You are talking about the automated account creation of the 3DS/Wii. While I am talking about manual account creation like the PS3/360/Steam.

For example,

You boot up your new system.

1) Do you have an account? Y/N
2) Would you like to connect to the internet and create an account? Y/N
3) Your ID is ~random number
4)Create your Mii
5)Assign it's name (your display name)
6)Please enter the following information

E-mail address
Password
Birthday

Ect ...

7) Would you like to make this the master account? Y/N

Now you have created an account based around a numeric value. It makes the process more streamlined than on the 360/PS3

So whenever you want to log in to your account from your Wii U you would just select your Mii than type your password. When you add friends their Mii will be stored on your system too, so if they ever come over all they need to do is select their Mii and enter their password.
_
Now if you get a new Wii U or use someones you aren't friends with you could search for your Mii using your email address, add it then log-in.

KillGore

Consider this: the only true universal character set is the numeric character set 0-9. Telephone numbers won't go away any time soon.

Yeah I know, I meant in a few decades (I wish)

Honestly I don't even know how to explain it, basically have it so every phone has a digital yellow pages app (or something similar), showing everyone's names, you just press the name and it calls the person. No need to memorize phone numbers, it'll be like a facebook-phone? idk. Like I said, I don't even know a concept for it, but basically not using numbers anymore.

This is really just wishful thinking lol

Maxrunner

That's just stupid. The octagonal shape on Nintendo's other controllers don't restrict movement at all. They act as guides to for accurate directions. There extremely useful in platformers or any game that requires precise movements.

1-Youre making too much sense
2-And people really like nitpick it seems

backlot

Honestly I don't even know how to explain it, basically have it so every phone has a digital yellow pages app (or something similar), showing everyone's names, you just press the name and it calls the person. No need to memorize phone numbers, it'll be like a facebook-phone? idk. Like I said, I don't even know a concept for it, but basically not using numbers anymore.

This is really just wishful thinking lol

I could see this causing problems. For example if I wanted my number to be unlisted. It also doesn't seem great for businesses for people to have to search through data bases to call you rather than dial that number they just saw on a commercial. I just don't see the need for it. Cell phones already store phone numbers so there's no need to memorize them anymore.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Looks gigantic and unwieldy, can't imagine playing a game with it.

Top Bottom