• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Wii U controller (analog sticks)?

KillGore

Looks gigantic and unwieldy, can't imagine playing a game with it.

Well all the hands-on have been positive so far.

I could see this causing problems. For example if I wanted my number to be unlisted. It also doesn't seem great for businesses for people to have to search through data bases to call you rather than dial that number they just saw on a commercial. I just don't see the need for it. Cell phones already store phone numbers so there's no need to memorize them anymore.

I agree with your first example but wouldn't it be easier to remember the name of the company in the commercial than a set of numbers? Let's say I saw a amazon's commercial for the first time, wouldn't it be easier to remember the name, write it on the phone directory and just call?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I still wonder what "analog triggers" mean. Some sort of buttons that function as analog sticks?

ElRenoRaven

I still wonder what "analog triggers" mean. Some sort of buttons that function as analog sticks?

Basically it's not an all or nothing. Means you can partially pull the trigger to say adjust how much gas you give a vehicle in a racing game. So instead of just going 0 to 60 instantly it goes 0 to 20 to 40 to 60 etc depending on how hard you pull the trigger.

KillGore

Basically it's not an all or nothing. Means you can partially pull the trigger to say adjust how much gas you give a vehicle in a racing game.

Are PS3 and 360 ones like this? How about wii? I've honestly haven't noticed. I know GCN was like this because of Smash's defense bubble.

rpmurphy

Okay, I'll be more clear.

The Wii has

1) A system based friendcode
2) Software based friendcodes

The 3DS has
1) A system based friendcode

You are talking about the automated account creation of the 3DS/Wii. While I am talking about manual account creation like the PS3/360/Steam.

For example,

You boot up your new system.

1) Do you have an account? Y/N
2) Would you like to connect to the internet and create an account? Y/N
3) Your ID is ~random number
4)Create your Mii
5)Assign it's name (your display name)
6)Please enter the following information

E-mail address
Password
Birthday

Ect ...

7) Would you like to make this the master account? Y/N

Now you have created an account based around a numeric value. It makes the process more streamlined than on the 360/PS3

So whenever you want to log in to your account from your Wii U you would just select your Mii than type your password. When you add friends their Mii will be stored on your system too, so if they ever come over all they need to do is select their Mii and enter their password.
_
Now if you get a new Wii U or use someones you aren't friends with you could search for your Mii using your email address, add it then log-in.
You have some good ideas there, but the search by email part is no good. You shouldn't require sharing that information to the public at all. Also, what is the use of the numeric ID in your example?

mdtauk

The Xbox 360 uses Analog Triggers. What it means is that instead of a simple click, the more you press down on the trigger, the greater the effect it has on the action in game.

backlot

I agree with your first example but wouldn't it be easier to remember the name of the company in the commercial than a set of numbers? Let's say I saw a amazon's commercial for the first time, wouldn't it be easier to remember the name, write it on the phone directory and just call?

I guess I was thinking more of a chain store situation where you might find a flyer with the number for the local store as opposed to searching the yellow pages for "Dominoes" and getting a billion hits. It would be like having to call the operator every time you want to make a phone call.

But what are we even talking about. This has nothing to do with controllers anymore.

KillGore

Xbox 360's triggers are. Ps3's aren't if I remember correctly.

Oh wow, I honestly haven't seen the difference between PS3 and 360, I guess not many third party games use it?

I guess I was thinking more of a chain store situation where you might find a flyer with the number for the local store as opposed to searching the yellow pages for "Dominoes" and getting a billion hits. It would be like having to call the operator every time you want to make a phone call.

But what are we even talking about. This has nothing to do with controllers anymore.

haha I know. Back on topic! I still wish you could add someone's FC and they get a friend request

Truth101

Banned
You have some good ideas there, but the search by email part is no good. You shouldn't require sharing that information to the public at all. Also, what is the use of the numeric ID in your example?

It would be private by default.

Also having a numeric ID linked to your Mii allows you to use whatever name you want as gamer tag.

ElRenoRaven

Oh wow, I honestly haven't seen the difference between PS3 and 360, I guess not many third party games use it?

haha I know. Back on topic! I still wish you could add someone's FC and they get a friend request

Mainly racing games use it. Haven't seen many other games that do. Maybe a few sports games but I don't play those anymore so I wouldn't know. I have seen a shooter or two use it for steadying aim when sniping but that's about it shooter wise.

Emitan

Make it like the Dragon Dogma naming system, have a name you set and another that displays if you have parental controls on.

Normal name: Anything you want (tied to a universal friend code, probably)
Safe name: made from a predefined list of words that will be displayed if parental controls are on

KillGore

Also having a numeric ID linked to your Mii allows you to use whatever name you want as gamer tag.

How would you add people online to your friend's list?

Make it like the Dragon Dogma naming system, have a name you set and another that displays if you have parental controls on.

Normal name: Anything you want (tied to a universal friend code, probably)
Safe name: made from a predefined list of words that will be displayed if parental controls are on

Yup, pretty much this. Oh and you can't use the same name for both.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ahhh "those" sort of triggers lol

Damn, I was expecting something like analog stick buttons :(

rpmurphy

What I mean is what is the purpose of exposing that number to the user? I am assuming that email addresses have to be unique, in which case you can use that to log in.

Truth101

Banned
How would you add people online to your friend's list?

There are multiple ways it could be done I guess.

1) If you know them in real lifestyle just give them your E-mail.

2)The Wii U will save Miis of people you have played online.

Each Mii would have a few stats listed.

-Encounter rate
-Games played against
-Region
-Favorite Game

From their you could add their Mii to unique communities you would be able to make, Mario Mart Community, Smash Community ect..

When you add them to you community it will give them a notice.

-Your Mii would pop up and say I've added you to my Smash Community would you like to add me?

What I mean is what is the purpose of exposinge that number to the user? I am assuming that email addresses have to be unique, in which case you can use that to log in.

I guess you wouldn't need to expose the number to the user. As the ID would auto link to your Mii.

You also wouldn't need a log-in username, as selecting your Mii would be the equivalent of typing in a username.

KillGore

There are multiple ways it could be done I guess.

1) If you know them in real lifestyle just give them your E-mail.

2)The Wii U will save Miis of people you have played online.

Each Mii would have a few stats listed.

-Encounter rate
-Games played against
-Region
-Favorite Game

From their you could add their Mii to unique communities you would be able to make, Mario Mart Community, Smash Community ect..

When you add them to you community it will give them a notice.

-Your Mii would pop up and say I've added you to my Smash Community would you like to add me?

I like that idea but will they appear on my normal friend's list as well? alongside my "real" friends?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cool, now it looks usable.

Truth101

Banned
I like that idea but will they appear on my normal friend's list as well? alongside my "real" friends?
No. Think of it as a repository of Mii you have played against online.

You can go in and add a Mii to any group you have made.

So you could have multiple groups such as

-Real life community
-NeoGAF community
-Mario Kart community
-Smash Bros. community

Ect..

A Mii could be in multiple communities too.

This would allow you to send group wide messages to set up events and other stuff.

Ok the analog triggers on the GCN were great at the time but they've kind of made playing VC N64 games a pain in the ass. For some reason the Wii doesn't register a light press, but only a full click. not a big deal but definitely a pet-peave of mine. I mean Mario Kart Wii was programmed to recognize a light press. I would use CC Pro but I don't like it for 3D games (analog placement).

KillGore

No. Think of it as a repository of Mii you have played against online.

You can go in and add a Mii to any group you have made.

So you could have multiple groups such as

-Real life community
-NeoGAF community
-Mario Kart community
-Smash Bros. community

Ect..

A Mii could be in multiple communities too.

This would allow you to send group wide messages to set up events and other stuff.

Will I be able to voice-chat/message/invite people individually from within the community? If so then I'll bite on this idea, if I can't then PSN/XBL is still my preferred method of online gaming. To each their own of course.

The next console Zelda is going to use the DS Zelda's control scheme.

Which I love, btw.

I started a thread on IGN suggesting a touch controlled sword play Zelda. Very negative reception. They claim to hate the DS system but what I suggested is much different.

Orayn

Ok the analog triggers on the GCN were great at the time but they've kind of made playing VC N64 games a pain in the ass. For some reason the Wii doesn't register a light press, but only a full click. not a big deal but definitely a pet-peave of mine. I mean Mario Kart Wii was programmed to recognize a light press. I would use CC Pro but I don't like it for 3D games (analog placement).

What I really like about the analog triggers that this controller seems to use is that they look like their travel distance is short. I think that gives you the best of both worlds - Easy to feather/spam like L1/R1, but feel good to hold down and use for fine adjustments like in racing games.

Kokonoe

Banned
I started a thread on IGN suggesting a touch controlled sword play Zelda. Very negative reception. They claim to hate the DS system but what I suggested is much different.

DPads, Analog Sticks and Circlepads are the only way I want to play Zelda until technology gets to point in which virtual reality is polished.

What I really like about the analog triggers that this controller seems to use is that they look like their travel distance is short. I think that gives you the best of both worlds - Easy to feather/spam like L1/R1, but feel good to hold down and use for fine adjustments like in racing games.

That would be perfect. Like I said, they worked great for most GCN games and games like mario Kart wii that programmed in light presses. But then you get games like Sands of Time that made you click it all the way. Just annoyed me.

Top Bottom