• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Wii U controller (analog sticks)?

jonno394

We havn't seen Nintendo do a technical hardware jump since the GCN. Remember how goddamn exciting seeing Waverace, Star Wars, Pikmin, Smash Bros, Mario, and Metroid run on new gen tech. All of those games came out within the first year too.

I'll never forget that metroid tech demo. It truly was a "holy shit" moment for me. Starfox x metroid will blow us away this time.......

ElRenoRaven

We havn't seen Nintendo do a technical hardware jump since the GCN. Remember how goddamn exciting seeing Waverace, Star Wars, Pikmin, Smash Bros, Mario, and Metroid run on new gen tech. All of those games came out within the first year too.

Not to mention other games on the system. God I'd Kill for a Wii U Luigi's Mansion.

Fredrik

Because it seems like it'd hinder gameplay due to it's placement. You seem to be further away from the main buttons like A/B for example. I just don't see it being as optimal as what's been used before, hence the skepticism.
The 360 pad had the d-pad below the analog stick and I have zero problems using it. What about you? Infact, the 360 pad is the best controller ever made, imo, very much because of that design choice.

Now, moving the XYAB buttons below the analog stick too hasn't been tried yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was also an awesome thing to do. Knowing Nintendo, it probably is.

People don't seem to care enough to bring it up much as it's been-there-done-that technology but I'm glad it's included.

I think rumble is a must especially in local multiplayer. It can be used as a silent indicator for one player without the other knowing it. Although, I guess we have a screen in the controller for that now but the feedback is still nice.

Emitan

I can't wait to see what Factor Five does with this new hardware!

:)

D:

Orayn

I want to see how completely ridiculous his drawing will be but I know he won't even bother. He'll just keep making inane complaints

It's not totally insane, just... Self-defeating to a fault. You could go for traditional handles on either side of the screen instead of a tablet-type bezel, but then you lose a ton of leverage if you ever have to, y'know, use the screen. It would also look a hell of a lot more awkward than it does now.

In before: "JUST TAKE OUT THE SCREEN, PROBLEM SOLVED!"

bridegur

Man, I hope they're working on a new Wave Race.

RagnarokX

I think one thing that's throwing people off is that they don't realize the controller doesn't have a hard drive and other heavy components inside it. It just displays. The console does all of the processing and stuff. The controller isn't a standalone device.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Remember the crazy rumor before last year's E3 about haptic feedback touchscreens, with the electric currents running through them so you can feel the shapes and textures of the items displayed (ice, grass, dog fur, etc)?

I WANT DAT.
There's no way Nintendo would put that in a touchscreen before Apple.

Orayn

Man, I hope they're working on a new Wave Race.

But we mustn't forget 1080! How about...

Slush Race: Gray Storm. Takes place in thawing glacial regions on amphibious jetski-snowmobiles. Includes realistic simulations of being cold and miserable because it's freezing outside and your boots are totally soaked.

Disregard that last post, I did it better. This one also lets you compare vertical and horizontal spacing.

http://i.imgur.com/Y2EeD.png[IMG]

For those having a hard time with my stupid-ass choice of colors...

Wii U: 7 transverse, 29 longitudinal. Length ~29.83

PS3: 22 transverse, 14 longitudinal. Length ~26.07

360: 21 transverse, 15 longitudinal. Length ~25.81[/QUOTE]

Another thing to thing about with this besides just how far apart the analog stick and buttons are is where your hand is, specifically your thumb. with the traditional controllers you're reaching across the controller to get to the right analog stick. However with the Wii U controller both the stick and buttons are right there, there is no reaching across the controller with your thumb.

I think this could prove to be very comfortable actually and an advantage in moving your thumb back and forth between the two.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Then please, show me better.
I think theCongressman1 is on it in the other thread. My point would be in the battle between form versus function, is this the controller any of us really prefer?

Why don't you fire up MSPaint or something similar and illustrate both of these for us?
I was just asking a question. You're the one who did the chart and then redid it. I didn't want to step on any toes.

Orayn

Another thing to thing about with this besides just how far apart the analog stick and buttons are is where your hand is, specifically your thumb. with the traditional controllers you're reaching across the controller to get to the right analog stick. However with the Wii U controller both the stick and buttons are right there, there is no reaching across the controller with your thumb.

I think this could prove to be very comfortable actually and an advantage in moving your thumb back and forth between the two.

Well, the placement on both follows the arc that your thumb traces when you move it back and forth. It's just that on the Wii U, your wrist is oriented vertically, while it's angled inwards on the 360 and PS3.

I think theCongressman1 is on it in the other thread. My point would be in the battle between form versus function, is this the controller any of us really prefer?

In this case, the form and function are one and the same. If you go for normal handles on either side, you make the screen much harder to use since you'd need to support the whole device one-handed rather than being able to spread your fingers across the back.

BY2K

Membero Americo

You do realize it's almost just as big and EVEN MORE RECTANGULAR?

ElRenoRaven

Really? To me it sounds like the perfect handheld game, made for bite sized chunks. Apparently has co-op too...

True the 3DS one really looks interesting. But I think it can be just as good on a console. The first was simply amazing and easy to play thanks to being able to play it in bite sized chunks. Plus I'll take my HDTV over the 3DS screen any day of the week.

Does anyone know if the Classic Pro controller can be used as a substitute for the Wii U Tablet? Or if the Wii U tablet has clickable sticks would they release a new Classic Controller with clickable sticks?

I see the appeal to casuals and even some here for the screen but I would just prefer playing with the Classic Pro personally.

Eric C

bvgFm.gif

If you compare the patent drawings, it's easier to see how it's also now wider.

So I made a another gif

7JDUR.gif

EDIT

IF SCREEN SIZE IS DIFFERENT. THE ABOVE GIF IS NOT AN ACCURATE COMPARISON

to go with the other one I made.
3jVsd.gif

Orayn

Does anyone know if the Classic Pro controller can be used as a substitute for the Wii U Tablet? Or if the Wii U tablet has clickable sticks would they release a new Classic Controller with clickable sticks?

I see the appeal to casuals and even some here for the screen but I would just prefer playing with the Classic Pro personally.

I think an updated CCPro is quite likely, and would love to get one myself.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
If you compare the patent drawings, it's easier to see how it's also now wider.

So I made a another gif

7JDUR.gif

Wow, that really show how much wider it is now. One thing, have you distorted it slightly? Because I notice that the four face buttons aren't square and more diamond shaped.

I wonder if they are limited from placing the buttons any closer o the screen?

Eric C

Wow, that really show how much wider it is now. One thing, have you distorted it slightly? Because I notice that the four face buttons aren't square and more diamond shaped.

I don't think I did, I just tried to resize them so the screen was the same size. If Nintendo changed the screen size, well then this comparison is not valid.

here are the original images

3apgl5u.jpg

3lylor.jpg

Terrell

Why is the Home button still down there?

Well, it's a convex button, putting it off to the sides would mean that you could conceal it or accidentally nudge it during the game. And since it obviously displays notifications, they want it on full display.

Liamario

Banned
Can't say I'm excited for the wiiu (purely based on its rumoured capabilities), but I have to admit that I do like the look of the controller.

hatchx

Banned
True the 3DS one really looks interesting. But I think it can be just as good on a console. The first was simply amazing and easy to play thanks to being able to play it in bite sized chunks. Plus I'll take my HDTV over the 3DS screen any day of the week.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I still think there is a chance of a surprise announcement that the WiiU will play 3DS games...

However, if a Luigi's Mansion was made for WiiU, I'd still want Wiimote pointer controls rather than dual analog.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
3DS games on Wii U? Why the hell would Nintendo cut into their handheld sales like that? Never gonna happen.

Teknoman

why must i hold to give comments? that thing is just unnecessary big and rectangular.
did the E3 holders held the thing for prolong times? did they pick up and down as they would at home? what was nintendo thinking of doing to make such a controller? it does not make sense!

Nintendo always makes decisions that dont make sense until you get your hands on them yourself.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
For reference, Nintendo's official dimensions for the old style wuc were...

'Approximately 5.3 inches high, 0.9 inches deep (not including buttons and other projections) and 9.0 inches long.'

For comparison, an iPad is 9.5 inches wide. I think the wuc is now wider than that, ~10 inches.

Terrell

Are these to scale? Cause the d-pad and the face buttons look bigger to me. (Even if only a little.) Plus, I think the face buttons are more distanced between each other.

I was just saying the same thing. Another awesome new tidbit. Analog triggers are in for sure.

Dare I say that this is the best controller since the Gamecube?

Kujo

Good to see analog sticks back, but I thought the reason they used sliders in the first place was because of the flat top. With analog sticks back in, I wish the ends of the controller were more like this

Rzoq9.jpg

Or like this, maybe without the gap

gamecube-keyboard-controller.jpg

Top Bottom