• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Next Xbox To Feature Ray Tracing, 1TB NVMe SSD Storage; DevKit To Release After GDC 2019

Leonidas

About the reddit leak.
The hardware is partially true
Storage is true
Raytracing is true
Lockhart is not Streaming box
Xbox SoC codename is Anubis, check AMD’s plan
MS AI is not a part of the hardware, in other words, never heard of TPU or ASIC like it
How to implement Raytracing? See GDC 2019
Why they make a decision like Lockhart? See GDC 2019
Why there still no DevKit? After GDC 2019

The rumored specs for the next Xbox console

CPU: Custom 8 cores / 16 Threads Zen 2 CPU
GPU: Custom NAVI @12+ teraflops
Memory: 16GB GDDR6
Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD @ 1+GB/s
DirectX Raytracing + MS AI

https://wccftech.com/next-xbox-raytracing/

I've been a proponent for ray-tracing for next-gen Xbox ever since MS announced DXR. Great news if this comes true.

2/22 Edit: Respected video-game site jeuxvideo has claimed to see the documents and says that both models of Xbox will come with an SSD.

During our investigation, we can confirm that the rumors that leaked at the end of January were close to reality, starting with the presence of SSDs on both machines.

Last edited:
Is NVMe SSD different from the Samsung SSD in my PC?

Aren’t SSDs still not cheap, even if they are more affordable than ever?

Last edited:
I'm cautiously aroused.

giphy.gif

Not surprised, MS going all out nxt gen..salt is inevitable any way you look at it...especially this thread will be very entertaining for weeks to come.

joe_zazen

Micron hypes nvme up as revolutionary wrt io. 3500MB/s vs 600 for ssd, 64000 commands vs 64, vastly imporved parallelism makes it feasable to actually use multicore cpus. And most of this comes down to pcie being exponentially better for modern hardware than sataiii.

Could be the gamechanger that required sony to delay ps5.

Yeah there are differences between them.

For sure it isn’t gonna happen, not at 1TB. Maybe a boot drive at a smaller capacity but I don’t see how they can keep that within costs.

Will certainly be keeping an eye on things. I imagine MS will go all out on the specs with the new box, especially if they have a working, low-cost streaming box as well.

Harlock

If devs knows that every hardware will have SSD, this can make a big difference in other aspects besides loading times?

joe_zazen

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Unless we all get a pony too.

It is all about timing. 2019 v 2020 v 2021.

Also size. Having a two tiered storage solution wherein one or two games at a time can fit on nvme might work.

if Micron is correct in how revolutionary nvme is. We legit could have an old time generatioanl jump in videogame world and complexity with nvme.

A.Romero

Considering the SSD by itself is around $300 USD I doubt this rumor.

If anything I would believe a 500 SSD PCIe, not NVMe.

Also DDR6 is not available for PC's as far as I know so it would be a pretty bold move, considering the Ram prices. However, Sony did surprise most people by using DDR5 in PS4 so this part could go either way.

Raytracing would be just to put a check on the feature, I don't think they can manage to implement it in a significant way.

Last edited:

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
You think these specs are legit? Do you think it will cost less than 500 bucks?
It will be the same price as Xbox One X, which is why they’ll have Lockhart priced at 250$ to counter and get he price conscious customers who don’t care about the high end.

Considering the SSD by itself is around $300 USD I doubt this announcement.

If anything I would believe a 500 SSD PCIe, not NVMe.

Also DDR6 is not available for PC's as far as I know so it would be a pretty bold move, considering the Ram prices. However, Sony did surprise most people by using DDR5 in PS4 so this part could go either way.

Raytracing would be just to put a check on the feature, I don't think they can manage to implement it in a significant way.

Yeah I am really not trying to be a hater or a salt-miner but these specs seem extremely ambitious, especially since so many people still say they aren't willing to pay 500 for a new console. Even at 500, these specs seem nearly impossible?

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Hugely different because of the use of pcie. Sata was made for single core cpu and spinning platters, nvme is made for multicore parallellism and huge bandwidth flash. They are night and day, according to micron anyway.

joe_zazen

It will be the same price as Xbox One X, which is why they’ll have Lockhart priced at 250$ to counter and get he price conscious customers who don’t care about the high end.

Nvme would need to be in all xbox consoles or you end up with 3rd parties not using it. Xbox arcade and aall that.

nowhat

If devs knows that every hardware will have SSD, this can make a big difference in other aspects besides loading times?
Oh for sure, there'd be a huge advantage. The one thing (well, one of the many things, but among the ones that concern the developers most) is that with traditional hard drives, there's only a best case scenario for how long reading/writing X bytes will take. But that's just the best case - the drive may be fragmented, and the drive head has to make many seeks to read/write all that is required. With SSDs both read and write times are pretty much constant.

However - SSDs are still expensive, especially NVMe. I'll happily eat crow if those come with the next consoles, but as of now, I'm not buying it at all. My bet is still some sort of intelligent hybrid solution - a bit of fast SSD (that the developers/OS have control of, instead of current SSHDs) combined with a traditional HDD.

Having a two tiered storage solution wherein one or two games at a time can fit on nvme might work.
That's precisely what I'm getting at with the above. Having some storage as SSD. But a whopping 1TB of it, I don't see that happening.

Last edited:
I only squint questioningly at that 1tb NVMe SSD. Seems very uneconomical to make that your singular storage solution.

I’m leaning toward consoles going the way of a hybrid HDD/SSD or a separate boot drive. Adding more drives will up your power draw, but I reason any hike will be offset by the smaller and more efficient Zen 2 chipsets (it’s not as though the draw will be that immense, but power is at premium in these kind of devices).

SonGoku

However - SSDs are still expensive, especially NVMe. I'll happily eat crow if those come with the next consoles, but as of now, I'm not buying it at all. My bet is still some sort of intelligent hybrid solution - a bit of fast SSD (that the developers/OS have control of, instead of current SSHDs) combined with a traditional HDD.
They are way too expensive to be included in consoles, BOM would be better served in extra faster memory or beefier GPU
Best case scenario 100 to 200GB memory built into the board to act as cache or a hybrid hdd. So something like what you suggested

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I said before that MS' low end cheap console next gen will give them an advantage next gen. If Sony doesn't have multiple console releases next gen, then I believe sales figures will be a lot closer next gen.

onQ123

Sounds good by the way people need to stop looking at the prices of today's hardware to say what can & can't be done. Mass production can change the prices of anything

joe_zazen

Oh for sure, there'd be a huge advantage. The one thing (well, one of the many things, but among the ones that concern the developers most) is that with traditional hard drives, there's only a best case scenario for how long reading/writing X bytes will take. But that's just the best case - the drive may be fragmented, and the drive head has to make many seeks to read/write all that is required. With SSDs both read and write times are pretty much constant.

That's precisely what I'm getting at with the above. Having some storage as SSD. But a whopping 1TB of it, I don't see that happening.

As long as the devs can rely on every single user playing their game from nvme, then we will get nvme optimized games.

It is funny, but until today, I didnt think the type of hard drive could affect game quailty so dramatically.

SonGoku

Sounds good by the way people need to stop looking at the prices of today's hardware to say what can & can't be done. Mass production can change the prices of anything
No mass production can change the fact that nvme is a terrible investment that would be better used in a beefier gpu or better memory configuration.
This isn't just expensive, its plain dumb.

Last edited:

McHuj

I don't think these specs are that unbelievable.

I'm actually coming around on the idea of a smaller RAM with an SSD. I think that's got a lot more potential going forward. AMD already has something very similar Radeon Pro SSG and I would bet that this would be the basis for the console. At least leveraging all the previous R&D that went into that product.

If they can't push flops and memory bandwidth too high to due thermal and power issues, going with an SSD is the next step that can bring a huge upgrade.

The retail cost of NVME drive today has no bearing on what would in a console 2 years from now. SSD standard will be the 8GB announcement of nextgen.

I don't think these specs are that unbelievable.

I'm actually coming around on the idea of a smaller RAM with an SSD. I think that's got a lot more potential going forward. AMD already has something very similar Radeon Pro SSG and I would bet that this would be the basis for the console. At least leveraging all the previous R&D that went into that product.

If they can't push flops and memory bandwidth too high to due thermal and power issues, going with an SSD is the next step that can bring a huge upgrade.

The retail cost of NVME drive today has no bearing on what would in a console 2 years from now. SSD standard will be the 8GB announcement of nextgen.

I would say it has some bearing.

And even if not, we are now conceding it’s a 2021 release?

Last edited:

onQ123

No mass production can change the fact that nvme is a terrible investment that would be better used in a beefier gpu or better memory configuration.
This isn't just expensive, its plain dumb.

I was going to make a thread about Deep Learning being the buzz word for Next Gen consoles & 2 of the key things I was going to bring up was FPGAs & Mass Non-volatile memory.

This might seem dumb to you but Deep Learning is important to all these companies & it's the way of the future.

Top Bottom