• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Nintendo & Disney?! Nintendo & Amazon?! It may happen!

If Disney wanted Nintendo content I feel like they'd just buy the company outright...

I think you underestimate the value that Nintendo has as a company. Yes, they probably could afford the 18 billion dollars, but considering Disney's lack of interest in video games internally, I doubt that would ever happen.

I think you underestimate the value that Nintendo has as a company. Yes, they probably could afford the 18 billion dollars, but considering Disney's lack of interest in video games internally, I doubt that would ever happen.

Yeah, Disney isn't spending 18 billion dollars on anything. Pixar, Marvel, and LucasFilm were all between 5 and 7 billion each, right?

Considering the moves/announcements that Nintendo has made lately, this doesn't seem unrealistic. I'm sure they're having talks at least.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I think Disney's partnership is in relation to Mario being featured in their Disney Movies Animation slate (Wreck-it-Ralph), much like the agreement with Sony for Pixels (Donkey Kong) - not a movie outright.

There's a strong possibility that Universal picked up the film rights. Universal have discussed wanting to be a bigger player in the family content space - their only property that has such a footprint is Despicable Me, and Mario & Co. fits that category perfectly.

Looking forward to tomorrow's IR meeting.

18-Volt

A new Mario Sports Mix game where Mario and his gang take on Mickey & his gang is all I need. Mickey vs Mario, Minnie vs Peach, Luigi vs Donald, Pete vs Wario, Goofy vs Waluigi, Pluto vs Yoshi etc. Every character has a counterpart on other side.

A Mario-Disney based Kingdom hearts would be the best thing ever. The only question is who would make a realtime Mario based RPG (or does it need to be realtime? I kinda think it does). I think a realtime Mario-Disney RPG based on the Captain Toad/3D World engine would work really, really well.

Captain-Toad-Treasure-Tracker.jpg

2690611-ivnoeruv4zdwo.png

Captain-Toad-Treasure-Tracker-29-630x354.jpg

Make it 4 (8?) player simultaneous.... with fucking online.... I'd bust a nut the second they'd showed something like that. I'd die a happy man.

Make it happen Nintendo!

Zalman

I think Disney's partnership is in relation to Mario being featured in their Disney Movies Animation slate (Wreck-it-Ralph), much like the agreement with Sony for Pixels (Donkey Kong) - not a movie outright.

There's a strong possibility that Universal picked up the film rights. Universal have discussed wanting to be a bigger player in the family content space - their only property that has such a footprint is Despicable Me, and Mario & Co. fits that category perfectly.

Looking forward to tomorrow's IR meeting.
Yeah, as much as I'd rather have Disney, this seems more likely. It's pretty clear Nintendo wants to expand to movies, and Universal is the perfect partner for that.

A new Mario Sports Mix game where Mario and his gang take on Mickey & his gang is all I need. Mickey vs Mario, Minnie vs Peach, Luigi vs Donald, Pete vs Wario, Goofy vs Waluigi, Pluto vs Yoshi etc. Every character has a counterpart on other side.

This brought such a huge smile to my face for some reason.

fixed for good

Considering Pixar's degradation as a studio after Toy Story 3 and Disney's meteoritic rise to quality, I wouldn't want that.

Pixar has an empty nest right now where nobody from the brain trust is left to make movie for them (except for Pete Docter, who just made Inside Out).

The shine is off the apple there and everyone knows it. Unless Andrew Stanton and Brad Bird come back to make new movies and actually prepare a new generation to take up the mantle, Pixar will unfortunately be a dated brand.

Lee Unkrich isn't going to lead the studio.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Wreck-It Ralph guys wanted Mario in the first film so I can see him appearing in the sequel. All of this sounds pretty cool.

AfroDust

Should?

Disney has completely downsized their entire video game division down to mobile games and Disney infinity.

That and a vastly different corporate culture make any kind of buyout a catastrophe waiting to happen.

What makes you think this is a good idea, aside from the fact they share a target audience for most of their products?

Many would argue that a vastly different corporate culture is exactly what Nintendo needs right now.

My thought was that since Disney has some pretty tight marketing/brand chops, they could give Nintendo the boost they really need to become relevant/a major player in the family space or something, like they were in the Wii days, except maybe with Disney's help they could keep that audience engaged. Continuing to appeal only to its shrinking number of diehard fans certainly isn't helping them any. Alot of people were concerned about Disney buying Marvel and Star Wars, and both of those brands now seem to be doing better than ever to my knowledge. Particularly Marvel. I dunno. It's really just a thought though.

I think people hear Disney and the knee-jerk reaction is "OMG NO." But generally, I don't really believe that Disney ruins everything they touch.

SalvaPot

Here is the Second full translation for today's article

[Rumor] Nintendo and Disney are negotiation a big deal, including a videogame with Mario and Mickey.

The mobile Nintendo games are getting an Amazon Store App release according to our source.

In November of 2014, before the first release of Amibo, we at Revogamers told you about the negotiations that Nintendo had going with third parties to externalize its figures, inside and outside their software and hardware. A little bit after this Pac-Man, Sonic and Mega Man got announced. And this E3 the Skylandres Superchargers compatibility was announced.

¿So what was wrong about our information? The other half of the deal, its use on Disney Infinity. Our source, ricardo2001, explains to us what happened and its happening alongside new information of what is happening at Nintendo.

The search for a big deal with Disney; Movies, videogames and more
The negotiations between Nintendo and Disney are still coming along with intensity (as in heated discussions). The first issue was that Disney wanted Mario to appear on its game, and Nintendo has not accepted yet (Skylanders got Bowser and Donkey Kong), and that is why there is no amiibo in Disney Infinity 3.0. Nevertheless, the negotiations continue.

According to our source, Disney has a throbbing desire for Mario since years ago and has offered Nintendo the possibility to use their big icon in multimedia products (Movies, interactive products...) but its owner resisted. Until 2014 when Satoru Iwata announced a change in policy and opened the licenses to other companies.

This is why the negotiation is more intense and higher in scope. The deal between Disney and Nintendo could be huge and would include all kinds of collaborations, like movies, videogames, merchandise, etc. And as an example they give us the possibility of a future Wreck-it Ralph 2 with Mario or that hey could do an spin-off with the plumber in a bigger, protagonist-like role.

Meanwhile, the videogames and as a more astonishing part of the deal, there would be a title leaded by both Super Mario and Mickey Mouse. The crown jewel that is the reason why Disney is dealing pressure. But Nintendo could be pondering delaying this deal to make it an announcement to the public when the time is right for them, because they know this could have a huge media news, even in the General Press.

This is the current stage in the negotiation. The deal is not closed and it depends on legal themes and how they would divide the benefits before or after is signed. Or perhaps it could never be produced.

Nintendo, Amazon, and the mobile (market)
Another big company that Nintendo is working with is Amazon, the giant of the Online Commerce. When Iwata announced his incorporation into the mobile market, at Amazon they really wanted to tell them that they wanted their game in their App Store. nintendo liked the idea and it seems that, along with the Google and Apple stores, the (Nintendo) mobile games would also be in the Amazon Store, if not at release date, not a lot later.

The curious thing about this, according to our informant, is that Nintendo had an interest for the Amazon exclusive games and they even asked what they had to do so those games (specially the ones that had traditional controls) could be run on a Nintendo console. After talking with a few technicians, the idea that Amazon had was that Nintendo has some type of Android emulation in mind. Not a native android system, but an emulated one. Its something they couldn´t confirm, but its an interpretation of this conversations.

By the way, another thing that affects the american giant is that he is been damaged by a strong restructure of the online services that Nintendo is doing. Its retiring services from some areas while increasing many others, at the same time they are taking Amazon data and delivering it to DeNA, its new partner.

Once again, none of this information is confirmed by Nintendo or any other official source, so its going to stay in rumors.

Epic Mickey 3- This time its actually a solid platformer

I could see having Mario with Fludd thrown in that world. At first it would seem he was a villain ,but Mario will just be misunderstood.THEN THROUGH THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP THEY WILL CONQUER ALL ODDS.

I can totally see that happening. lol

Allow me to step back for a moment and be slightly fanboyish, but I would consider myself to be a huge fan of both Nintendo & Disney, so these rumors turning out to be true would be a beautiful thing. It almost makes me harken back to the days of the NES & SNES where Nintendo had, arguable, the best Disney games on the market. Since Nintendo & Capcom play nice with Mega man, I'd be thrilled to get their old Disney games up on the Virtual Console.

Thrilled.

Zubz

Banned
I'm still not sure how to feel about this. On the one hand, Disney has their fingers in enough pots already. On the other, it could be interesting to see what happens? Either way, though, I'm still not entirely sure I buy either of these suggestions, especially with the Universal deal Nintendo has going (Marvel was at least there for awhile before the purchase; Nintendo must have just signed their deals with Universal recently).

Plus, isn't there ambiguity about the "Zelda" show Amazon's working? I heard they already announced a biography of Zelda Fitzgerald, and the filming's taking place in the area she grew up in. I thought there was a good chance that the person who made that claim just got the 2 confused.

kirby_fox

Banned
Not even slightly surprised. I'd not even be surprised if Mickey showed up in Smash Bros. as playable.

What would be neat is having a Nintendo X Disney title in the sense of Roger Rabbit with a bit of the humor of Banjo Kazooie. You play as a brand new character, enter the world of gaming or whatever and solve some kind of mystery in a 3D action adventure.

jackal27

Banned
Honestly none of these sound out of the realm of possibility. I'm gonna stick with a very solid MAAAAAYBEEEEEE. I don't really care about Disney Infinity stuff, but Amazon junk could be very cool.

I would be honest, if that happened I would pay the $200 CE it would probably get.
Disney owns Sora and company so it could happen.

Disney owns Sora and them? Meh, they can stay behind to be honest. I just want Mickey and friends. I also don't want Square Enix touching the game. I don't want a convoluted sappy story, that just gets in the way of the gameplay. Let Nintendo either develop the game internally, or get Intelligent Systems to do it (though I'm not sure how good they are with real-time games).

jeffers

What needs to be part of the Disney conversation is that star wars game licence. A keystone of the deal has to be rogue squadron on virtual console.

it would be cool to see disney bend EAs arm for future nintendo platforms

I'd be interested in the Nintendo x Disney possibilities, however unlikely. More interested in Disney acquiring Nintendo, which also won't happen.

MajorMane

Bowser and DK in Skylanders? uh, sure.
Mario in Disney Infinity? I could dig it.
Now give me a real deal amiibo game in the same vein as those two.

I think if something like this did happen, it would be a pretty huge deal... but I could see the two companies and properties meshing well. Disney x Nintendo could lead to some cool things for sure.

What needs to be part of the Disney conversation is that star wars game licence. A keystone of the deal has to be rogue squadron on virtual console.

YAAAASSS. Matter of fact, force EA to make Star Wars Battlefront for NX too. Call it, an "unprecedented capitulation."

Effect

Yeah, Disney isn't spending 18 billion dollars on anything. Pixar, Marvel, and LucasFilm were all between 5 and 7 billion each, right?
Closer to 3. Nintendo is worth a LOT of money. Part of that I believe is because they have no debt and have large cash reserves on top of their valuable IP.

That'd be nice. Factor 5 also developed a Wii game with the Star Wars license, but they pulled the plug somewhere late in developement. I can't recall the exact reasoning, but it was very ambitious. They were using a modified Rogue Squadron engine that ran at 60fps, and supported quite a few control schemes. They also had 1:! light saber duels, which is what we all really wanted.

It was called Rogue Leaders.

Disney? Maybe. Mushroom Kingdom Hearts? Yes. Kingdom Hearts 358/2, Coded, & Dream Drop Distance NX remakes? Yes. Nintendo Amiibo Playset........Pokemon Playset.....................with MMO features.....

V9zJBSS.jpg

E-phonk

Banned
If true, it lends credibility to the NX being based on AOSP (the basis where both android and amazon fire is based on). It's the only way those amazon games could decently work in an "emulated" environment (read = special API) on similar hardware.

If all of this is true... daaamn, Disney x Nintendo is my big dream since many years!

(Epic) Mickey will be in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS, mark my words.

Nanashrew

Banned
These are pretty big things to make rumors about. I wonder how true it is and what all may come from it though. Amiibo in Toy Story 4, Mario in Wreck-it-Ralph, maybe an actual Disney cartoon or movie? I'm excited for those prospects!

fake edit: Also disney stuff in Nintendo games would be cool too.

If Disney wanted Nintendo content I feel like they'd just buy the company outright...

Nintendo's equity alone is worth a 5th of Disney's. Not to mention no one's ever really actually bid on all of Nintendo's properties before. The acquisition would be at least half of Disney's total value. They could probably do it, but it'd cost them an astronomical amount of money. They wouldn't be willing to do it.

To put it another way, as this article does. Disney buying Nintendo would be like them buying ABC in 1996. Unless they were willing to go balls to the wall in electronics (I doubt it) and wanted to dominate the video-game market (a hardware unified NX Nintendo with Disney cashflow would absolutely price Sony and Microsoft out of the market- they could do it if they wanted to). I think it would be a good acquisition for them- they could basically own the console space, but I don't think they want to. Never say never though. If Disney were to acquire Nintendo. The console wars would probably be over. Microsoft and Sony aren't in a position to compete with that amount of money in the entertainment space. And nobody else would, either.

Top Bottom