• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor | Nintendo Switch 2 May Use Samsung 5th Generation V-NAND With up to 1.4 GB/S Read Speed

Ozriel

M$FT
Expect a PS4 GPU wise in handheld mode. Expect a PS4 Pro GPU with a 5x more powerful CPU, with 4GB more RAM and a circa 2019 SSD when docked.

This is a mammoth leap over the current Switch and more powerful than Steam Deck in some ways in the Switch form factor with better battery life. It's a win!

No way in hell will there be more RAM when docked.
But a Switch 2 should easily be more powerful than a Steamdeck.

Expect a PS4 GPU wise in handheld mode. Expect a PS4 Pro GPU with a 5x more powerful CPU, with 4GB more RAM and a circa 2019 SSD when docked.

This is a mammoth leap over the current Switch and more powerful than Steam Deck in some ways in the Switch form factor with better battery life. It's a win!

I don't expect a massive boost in performance when docked

All I expect is 1080p 60 FPS when docked

I just think the leap will be big but not PS4 Pro big. More like PS4 level of performance

iHaunter

perhaps not the greatest example!

But yeah, tbh, I would actually prefer Nintendo to prioritise a lower RRP - I'd be happy with Switch 2 being a moderate improvement over the current machine. I don't see it being possible for it to deliver anything that isn't going to be technically lower quality than other consoles, so why bother stretching to deliver the same thing (in principal).

TBH, switch Pro would be ideal for me - same games, higher res and 60fps would be fine with me.
Honestly for their game "Style." If it can do 1440p/60 it'll be good.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Honestly for their game "Style." If it can do 1440p/60 it'll be good.
It'll be interesting to see where they position it, both in terms of how capable it is and how expensive it is. Especially with Xbox making noise about a handheld. I assume that Nintendo would be more price sensitive, I think $400 would be higher than they'd be prepared to go, for them it's very much get the console into as many hands as possible and then sell them another iteration of Mario Kart for the 8th time.

Price for the carts will go up probably. I can see Nintendo going for $70 / €70 (plus tax) or even dropping requirements for same MSRP.

I am having Genesis and SNES cart pricing flashbacks. $100 for PS IV (in 90s money…).
I really hope this doesn't happen, as that would mean third-party games being more expensive physically than digitally ($20, potentially $30 more), which would kill 3rd party physical sales on the new system.

I trust that Nintendo is smart enough not to do this if they want to have a thriving 3rd party ecosystem on their console like PlayStation has with a healthy mix of digital and physical offerings.

That said, I think I'll be okay with $70/€80 for physical games on Switch 2 since that's the price for current-gen games on PS5 and XBS anyway.

StereoVsn

I really hope this doesn't happen, as that would mean third-party games being more expensive physically than digitally ($20, potentially $30 more), which would kill 3rd party physical sales on the new system.

I trust that Nintendo is smart enough not to do this if they want to have a thriving 3rd party ecosystem on their console like PlayStation has with a healthy mix of digital and physical offerings.

That said, I think I'll be okay with $70/€80 for physical games on Switch 2 since that's the price for current-gen games on PS5 and XBS anyway.
Yeah, I hope so as well, but it will depends how they will position physical carts. Physical sales are still very significant for Nintendo, especially outside NA so they aren’t going anywhere and I doubt Ninte

Yeah , let’s hope so. I can’t see Nintendo going away from physical considering physical to digital sales ratios especially if you look at full games and doubly so outside NA.

scydrex

All I want

XBONE/PS4 Level Graphics
8 GB Or More Ram
More Internal Storage (Also MicroSD Slot)
1080p Screen
Full Backwards Compatibility
For $399 and a good batery time similar to the Switch? Maybe it will be like the steam deck lcd. Nintendo don't sell hardware at loss like MS or Sony. So it would be $399 making profit or no loss at launch at least.

Last edited:
For $399 and a good batery time similar to the Switch?

John C Reilly Yes GIF

LOL are people really expect PS4Pro from a handheld? We'd be very lucky to have somewhat PS4 levels of performance at best. However SSD will help a lot. Also I really doubt about DLSS - it's pointless at low resolutions and have its performance overhead (less capable hardware more DLSS will cost) not to mention additional silicon will be required. Don't think that you can waste any silicon on a handheld especially when FSR3 is on the way.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
All I want

XBONE/PS4 Level Graphics
8 GB Or More Ram
More Internal Storage (Also MicroSD Slot)
1080p Screen
Full Backwards Compatibility
I think 720p/800p is fine for a handheld. Let the devs avoid wasting a lot of rendering time on high resolution on portables, but more on AA and upscaling techniques instead… get Nintendo to spend the extra money on HDR and VRR instead.

When docked, sure… go to 4K or something with DLSS, but do not waste resources in handheld mode.
Good AA will do a lot more than jumping to 1080p will, you are fighting an impossible Nyqvist sampling battle there :p.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That too. As for the 1080p Screen I would
be fine if they with a similar resolution screen as the Steamdeck

I hope the Switch 2 Cart are bigger in size

You serious?

That's should be doable since it's been around 10 years since the PS4/XBONE launched? And having that level of tech now would be cheaper.

Not to mention paired up with more modern hardware. It would be like a better PS4/XBONE. I also think the CPU is gonna to be better than the one that was used for PS4/XBONE
Also considering Steam Deck is above those levels lol and it came out two years ago.

They know their customers will buy anything. Look at the WiiU.
Sorry but what a stupid thing to say. Marketing was awful for WiiU but first party games were top-notch and Nintendo didn't abandon it and gave their customers last present - Breath of the Wild. WiiU game collection is beloved by fans - Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Mario 3D World, Breath of the Wild, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Super Mario Maker, Need for Speed ME and so on. That's how you do gaming even if console sales were abysmal.
Now look at Xbox - a good hardware but kinda useless without good first party games.

Mahavastu

But that is 3.5 GB/s.
you can combine the speed of single chips and add the bandwith.
If one chip has 1.4GB/s, then 2 would be 2.8GB/s and 3 would be 4.2 GB/s. Because of pci-express 3 limits, the ssd can only reach 3.5GB/s
So with 2 combined chips you would be a bit faster then the XBox Series

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Storage needs to be faster, too. Much faster. 1080p screen probably adds significantly to the build cost with little-to-no payoff, honestly. Plus it just would chew through the battery to render games in portable mode at that resolution. Just look at the Steam Deck. There's a reason the screen is only 800p.
I always assumed the Nvidia upscaling tech would be used to achieve higher resolutions in portable mode without much burden, that most games wouldn't be rendered 'native'

I think 720p/800p is fine for a handheld. Let the devs avoid wasting a lot of rendering time on high resolution on portables, but more on AA and upscaling techniques instead… get Nintendo to spend the extra money on HDR and VRR instead.

When docked, sure… go to 4K or something with DLSS, but do not waste resources in handheld mode.
Good AA will do a lot more than jumping to 1080p will, you are fighting an impossible Nyqvist sampling battle there :p.

For Handheld mode I don't expect full 1080p which I feel is too much of an ask. Now Docked mode, I'm guessing it'll be full 1080p 30/60 FPS

Also considering Steam Deck is above those levels lol and it came out two years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if the CPU/GPU was better than Steamdeck

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

I’d cool those jets, who knows what kind of clock it will run at to preserve battery.

Anyway for a 2025 release I was hoping for Lovelace at least - being stuck until 2032 with ps4 graphics is going to be weird considering in 2028 we’ll have PS6,

Its a great machine with one of the best software catalogs ever and when you’re ready to upgrade like 95% of stuff will work on ps5.

I just wish Nintendo pushed a little that’s all, Orin is a 2022 product - it shouldn’t be on 2025 product. That’s all.

I'm not getting a PS5 at all. Nothing from this current gen which is PS5 and XSX interest me. Switch 2 is the one that interest me the most. All I want from them is XBONE/PS4 Level Graphics. Everything else is just icing on the cake for me

I stopped caring about graphics after I got a PS4. I have a good Gaming PC (it is due for an upgrade though)

I'm getting a Steamdeck OLED most likely next month since I want my Steam backlog on the go

I'm fine with Nintendo not pushing graphics. Gameplay is the number one priority for me. I tend to play older games and lot of the newer games I'm just not interested in playing

Last edited:
LOL are people really expect PS4Pro from a handheld? We'd be very lucky to have somewhat PS4 levels of performance at best. However SSD will help a lot. Also I really doubt about DLSS - it's pointless at low resolutions and have its performance overhead (less capable hardware more DLSS will cost) not to mention additional silicon will be required. Don't think that you can waste any silicon on a handheld especially when FSR3 is on the way.
A LOT of people are still believing rumours that the Switch 2 will be comparable to a PS5 because of DLSS and will reach 4K and 60fps (even if the current switch has very few games at 1080p and 60fps), and it will be $399 making a profit of course.

I mean, the Steam Deck is a few miles ahead of the switch, the entry level is $399 and they are still losing money, but we'll see.

tkscz

We said the same thing about the Tegra X1 producing PS360 level graphics back when Nvidia first announced it. The Switch was then proven capable of surpassing both consoles. What would you say about the power of the Steamdeck or the RoG Ally? They can run games like Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Spider-man Miles Moriles and Horizon: Forbidden West, PS5 games. Sure, no where near the same level they can but the games still look good to great on those.

I've said it in a previous thread but you can't directly compare consoles based purely on raw numbers, architecture plays a huge role in compatibility. Simply using Ampere CUDA cores already gives it an advantage over the PS4, having DLSS and RT cores also help. In terms of just raw numbers I'm sure it would just be PS4 level with several 3rd party developers not pushing past that even with UE5. But I can easily see some Japanese devs, indie devs and especially Nintendo themselves, pushing past the PS4. Of course not to the level of the series S but clearly somewhere between the PS4pro and XBO-X.

Nintendo pulled miracles with the Tegra X1, I honestly think we'll be surprised by what could be done.

We said the same thing about the Tegra X1 producing PS360 level graphics back when Nvidia first announced it. The Switch was then proven capable of surpassing both consoles. What would you say about the power of the Steamdeck or the RoG Ally? They can run games like Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Spider-man Miles Moriles and Horizon: Forbidden West, PS5 games. Sure, no where near the same level they can but the games still look good to great on those.

I've said it in a previous thread but you can't directly compare consoles based purely on raw numbers, architecture plays a huge role in compatibility. Simply using Ampere CUDA cores already gives it an advantage over the PS4, having DLSS and RT cores also help. In terms of just raw numbers I'm sure it would just be PS4 level with several 3rd party developers not pushing past that even with UE5. But I can easily see some Japanese devs, indie devs and especially Nintendo themselves, pushing past the PS4. Of course not to the level of the series S but clearly somewhere between the PS4pro and XBO-X.

Nintendo pulled miracles with the Tegra X1, I honestly think we'll be surprised by what could be done.
I understand what you are talking about. And again new architecture (hopefully Ampere) and SSD will really help. Not to say that Nintendo first-party games are often punch above it's weight. But DLSS or ever RT? That's crazy to think that Nintendo will not cut the corners on those very things. Also I have ZERO believing that they showed Matrix demo or BoTW running 60fps. From my experience Nintendo would never do that or care - they'd rather make something creative and unique to showcase capabilities of their console, as they always did. At least they will remake/remaster some part of BoTW to showcase a stark difference in graphics quality and performance (again, like they did before). All those numbers and RT is unimportant from their standpoint. 60fps or 30fps is a design choice and matter of other graphic factors - LOD's, resolution, e.t.c. And a Matrix demo is laughable - they'd rather recreate that without RT with some very clever GI backing and you don't even realise that it's not using any RT. We are talking about portable console after all.

Every time (EVERY) Nintendo did new console the rumors go crazy. And most of them coming from 12 years old that watching Digital Foundry too much. There were many rumors about the supposed hardware BUT as Nintendo themselves said 'we are always experimenting with different hardware' and this is just what everyone do. Of course I will be glad if those rumors about Ampere will became true - but this rumor shit happening every single time since GameCube. Also Nintendo NDA is somehow more secretive than others, - that's why the joke about Ninjas :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

CS Lurker

Also I really doubt about DLSS - it's pointless at low resolutions

How is that pointless? Have you tried DLSS Performance to 1080p on a small screen? It's amazing, really. It's one of the advantages that DLSS has over FSR 2.0; it works beautifully with lower internal resolution.
I have tried many games on a relative small screen (15") using an Ampere GPU and the results were incredible. DLSS Performance on an 1920x1080 screen is rendering internally at 960x540, and it's mind blowing how great it looks comparable to native 1080p, specially when you understand that the output resolution if 4 times higher than the internal res. And we end up with an image that, even in movement, is indistinguible for 99.99% of the players. And I'm talking about a 15" screen here, imagine then on a 7~8" screen. DLSS's magic is something people have to see with their own eyes, without any streaming compression. So, I would say that DLSS will be, in fact, a key factor for Switch 2 titles - specially impossible ports. And speaking of it, even the DLSS Ultra Perf can look really decent in some games (like DOOM Eternal, Control, and Death Stranding), so I can see some extreme cases of ports running using this preset (like DOOM and The Witcher are extreme cases running on current Switch). DLSS Ultra Perf has an internal res of 640x360 (for a 1080p output res), which is an increase of 9 (NINE) times in pixel count. Isn't that crazy? On a small screen, most people won't notice the difference.

Here, have some prints I took from my tests (1st is always native 1080p, 2nd is DLSS Perf, and 3rd is DLSS Ultra Perf)

eVi8GCv.png

HDxS0xy.png

H0UOwAu.png

tWNgb9S.png

fqHLnOS.png

1sCkrYR.png

Y8qKcP5.png

AevJk0j.png

R9yhrxT.png

dgyFtC6.png

Z5qThg7.png

KcSweSa.png

Please note that these tests were made using the original DLSS version that each game was shipped with. I now know that there's a way to change the .dll file so we can update the DLSS used (these games were using older versions of it), but there was no point for me to test again, as I was already really impressed with the results.

and have its performance overhead (less capable hardware more DLSS will cost)

The DLSS frame cost is less than you might be thinking. With the number of Tensor Cores the Switch 2 will probably have, and making a comparison with Nvidia's documents showing DLSS cost for different resolutions using different Ampere desktop cards, we could be talking about less than 4ms of frame cost to a 1080p output. Not bad at all.

not to mention additional silicon will be required. Don't think that you can waste any silicon on a handheld

Like I pointed out above, it's more like a big win for a handheld to have Tensor Cores than not having it. DLSS will make a huge difference for an already constrained hardware. And Tensor Cores use much less space than CUDA cores.

There were many rumors about the supposed hardware

You see, that's where many don't get it. The T239 isn't a rumor. It's stolen information from Nvidia (which was confirmed by them).
Current Switch's API is called NVN, and we had access to part of the code for an NVN2 API. C'mon, It's pretty obvious what NVN2 stands for.
So it's not a rumor, it's the real thing.

Not to say that Nintendo first-party games are often punch above it's weight. But DLSS or ever RT? That's crazy to think that Nintendo will not cut the corners on those very things.

Well, they didn't. Because of the API we know that RT is a feature available to developers (just like DLSS). And you know what? Speaking about the hardware only, the RT on the Ampere is much better than what AMD's RDNA 2.0 can offer. Ampere has dedicated RT cores, so the performance is already superior (just like DLSS is amazing because it uses the Tensor Cores). And something that makes a huge difference is the fact that on Ampere architecture RT can run concurrently with Shaders and Tensor Cores, while on the current-gen consoles (series and ps5) you need to run RT on shader cores (as there's no dedicated hardware just for that) and the frame cost becomes considerable because of that.

xeAvnxn.png

So, IF bandwidth isn't a deal breaker on Switch 2, it could have an even comparable RT to the Series S, if not better. That's the difference a dedicated hardware makes.

And you can bet that Nvidia has all the interest in the world to see Nintendo using its techs (DLSS and RT), as well as all 3rd parties. They want to push it as far as they can, so it's in their best interest to offer Nintendo the hardware they want, and to support it on their API to make the implementation as easy as possible (just like we know they have already done).

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
At this rate we will have a portable playstation and xbox before switch 2 is launched. If that happens it will take a massive bite out of nintendos current market share.

I’d cool those jets, who knows what kind of clock it will run at to preserve battery.

Anyway for a 2025 release I was hoping for Lovelace at least - being stuck until 2032 with ps4 graphics is going to be weird considering in 2028 we’ll have PS6,
I've been told what to expect from people who know (last summer) and it's the above. I don't know the specific clock speeds because they were not final nor would they give me those anyway but yeah ~PS4 performance in handheld mode and the same kind of IQ boost that PS4 Pro gave over standard PS4 when Switch 2 is docked ("4k like" using the tensor cores / DLSS). Also a gigantic CPU leap over Switch's CPU and a large leap over PS4's CPU (not on the level of PS5's CPU obviously I'd say at least half the performance but enough to run scaled back current gen games it's 8 cores) and lastly I was told the retail unit was targeting 12GB's of RAM (10GB for games) at that time. Developers were pushing for 16GB (14GB for games) but weren't confident they'd get it (at that stage) because Ninty wanted to keep it below a certain price point. The screen is indeed an 8" 1080p display but a good quality LCD variant. Form factor and dock are almost identical to current OLED model. They'll probably release the OLED in 2027 with the Lite coming the year before in 2026.

The device was supposed to be out last Holiday season originally but was delayed until Spring 2025 so they could have a much wider array of software available at launch and a great first 12 months of Nintendo / exclusive games to try and emulate the original Switch's first year (***my theory is they want 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion and a MonolithSoft game all out inside it's first 10 months before the end of 2025***). Third party wise Mass Effect Trilogy HD, Star Wars Outlaws, Read Dead II, AC Mirage, Stray, Ghostwire Tokyo, Gotham Knights, NFS Unbound, Guardians of the Galaxy, Resident Evil Village, Hitman Collection, Yakuza (some sort of collection) and Elden Ring are the big third party games I know of that are targeting the launch window. And yeah as the big insider that reported it said (sorry can't remember name) "get used to seeing "Available for PC, PS5, XBOX Series and Switch 2" from whenever they reveal the device for big game announcements (I've heard it's going to be revealed around August / September time with a Spring 2025 release). The hardware is now in a place where they can get almost any third party game to run on it even if they're running it at 480p in handheld and 720p in docked mode then using DLSS to get them to 1080p on the handheld screen and 1440p/2160p when docked (depending on how demanding the game is). It runs UE5 "very, very well" and can use real time RTGI, RTAO and RT reflections but of course like PS5/Series they're reconstructed and or much lower resolution compared to the state of the art RT on high end PC's. It also can use RT for sound to take strain off the CPU (I never heard of that before?).

In terms of battery life there's only so far you can drop clocks because it gives you terrible amounts of battery life in return. Diminishing returns so PS4 in handheld and PS4 Pro like with more modern GPU features, DLSS and RT is where they fell at least that's where it was last summer.

Also I wouldn't worry about what it will look like in 2028 considering current Switch games built around the constraints of a 3 core 1GHz CPU from 2010, 3GB of awful slow RAM for games and a sub 200GFLOP mobile GPU from 2015 when in handheld mode (the mode devs build their games around much like devs build multiplatform games around the specs of Series S nowadays) look great when ran on a PC emulator at anything at or above 1080p. Luigi's Mansion 3, Breath / Tears, Pikmin 4 and Sparks of Hope all look unreal on PC!

*The above is all I know about Switch 2 (no confirmation on the name it has a codename can't remember what but it wasn't as cool as "NX" I'm just calling it Switch 2 for ease of use). A lot of the info especially the hardware stuff is coming up for a year old that I got on a date from an acquaintance of a high school buddy who works for a giant horse shoe shaped publisher. I posted some of the info over on famii boards last summer before a lot of the hardware stuff was common knowledge but some of them are a bit turbo autist when it came to wanting MORE MORE MORE at times so I left :p

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I've been told what to expect from people who know (last summer) and it's the above. I don't know the specific clock speeds because they were not final nor would they give me those anyway but yeah ~PS4 performance in handheld mode and the same kind of IQ boost that PS4 Pro gave over standard PS4 when Switch 2 is docked ("4k like" using the tensor cores / DLSS). Also a gigantic CPU leap over Switch's CPU and a large leap over PS4's CPU (not on the level of PS5's CPU obviously I'd say at least half the performance but enough to run scaled back current gen games it's 8 cores) and lastly I was told the retail unit was targeting 12GB's of RAM (10GB for games) at that time. Developers were pushing for 16GB (14GB for games) but weren't confident they'd get it (at that stage) because Ninty wanted to keep it below a certain price point. The screen is indeed an 8" 1080p display but a good quality LCD variant. Form factor and dock are almost identical to current OLED model. They'll probably release the OLED in 2027 with the Lite coming the year before in 2026.

The device was supposed to be out last Holiday season originally but was delayed until Spring 2025 so they could have a much wider array of software available at launch and a great first 12 months of Nintendo / exclusive games to try and emulate the original Switch's first year (***my theory is they want 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion and a MonolithSoft game all out inside it's first 10 months before the end of 2025***). Third party wise Mass Effect Trilogy HD, Star Wars Outlaws, Read Dead II, AC Mirage, Stray, Ghostwire Tokyo, Gotham Knights, NFS Unbound, Guardians of the Galaxy, Resident Evil Village, Hitman Collection, Yakuza (some sort of collection) and Elden Ring are the big third party games I know of that are targeting the launch window. And yeah as the big insider that reported it said (sorry can't remember name) "get used to seeing "Available for PC, PS5, XBOX Series and Switch 2" from whenever they reveal the device for big game announcements (I've heard it's going to be revealed around August / September time with a Spring 2025 release). The hardware is now in a place where they can get almost any third party game to run on it even if they're running it at 480p in handheld and 720p in docked mode then using DLSS to get them to 1080p on the handheld screen and 1440p/2160p when docked (depending on how demanding the game is). It runs UE5 "very, very well" and can use real time RTGI, RTAO and RT reflections but of course like PS5/Series they're reconstructed and or much lower resolution compared to the state of the art RT on high end PC's. It also can use RT for sound to take strain off the CPU (I never heard of that before?).

In terms of battery life there's only so far you can drop clocks because it gives you terrible amounts of battery life in return. Diminishing returns so PS4 in handheld and PS4 Pro like with more modern GPU features, DLSS and RT is where they fell at least that's where it was last summer.

Also I wouldn't worry about what it will look like in 2028 considering current Switch games built around the constraints of a 3 core 1GHz CPU from 2010, 3GB of awful slow RAM for games and a sub 200GFLOP mobile GPU from 2015 when in handheld mode (the mode devs build their games around much like devs build multiplatform games around the specs of Series S nowadays) look great when ran on a PC emulator at anything at or above 1080p. Luigi's Mansion 3, Breath / Tears, Pikmin 4 and Sparks of Hope all look unreal on PC!

*The above is all I know about Switch 2 (no confirmation on the name it has a codename can't remember what but it wasn't as cool as "NX" I'm just calling it Switch 2 for ease of use). A lot of the info especially the hardware stuff is coming up for a year old that I got on a date from an acquaintance of a high school buddy who works for a giant horse shoe shaped publisher. I posted some of the info over on famii boards last summer before a lot of the hardware stuff was common knowledge but some of them are a bit turbo autist when it came to wanting MORE MORE MORE at times so I left :p

Hahahaha you seem to be way better informed than me 😄 alright then ps4 - PS4 pro here we go.

Here, have some prints I took from my tests (1st is always native 1080p, 2nd is DLSS Perf, and 3rd is DLSS Ultra Perf)

Please note that these tests were made using the original DLSS version that each game was shipped with. I now know that there's a way to change the .dll file so we can update the DLSS used (these games were using older versions of it), but there was no point for me to test again, as I was already really impressed with the results.
With all respect your pictures are almost pointless because DLSS is a temporal solution and static images are not quite representative of real-world results. DLSS is accumulating frames so even Ultra-Performance preset will look great after 1 second of static input. Also Death Stranding is very non-aliased game, try this on moving grass, in motion then we see. I also never said that DLSS is worse than FSR. But with FSR there is no need for extra silicon. Nintendo can sacrifice DLSS and IQ in favor of FSR, they were doing this all the time.
The DLSS frame cost is less than you might be thinking. With the number of Tensor Cores the Switch 2 will probably have, and making a comparison with Nvidia's documents showing DLSS cost for different resolutions using different Ampere desktop cards, we could be talking about less than 4ms of frame cost to a 1080p output. Not bad at all.
Yeah I understand that lower the resolution = lower the cost. Yeah great results still but is it worth special silicon in Nintendo's mind? And still - lower the input resolution = worse the output image exponentially. That's why Nvidia recommends 'Performance' preset at 4K, 'Balanced' at 1440p, and 'Quality' in 1080p by default.
You see, that's where many don't get it. The T239 isn't a rumor. It's stolen information from Nvidia (which was confirmed by them).
Current Switch's API is called NVN, and we had access to part of the code for an NVN2 API. C'mon, It's pretty obvious what NVN2 stands for.
So it's not a rumor, it's the real thing
That will be most awesome news if it's true!
Speaking about the hardware only, the RT on the Ampere is much better than what AMD's RDNA 2.0 can offer.
That's absolutely true. And Ampere was already super power efficient. Question is how it will work at such low TDP's as 12-18w. You have power effectity curve - it's not linear, it depends on voltage. In other words - if GPU works great at 50w that doesn't mean it will work same efficiency at 15w.
And you can bet that Nvidia has all the interest in the world to see Nintendo using its techs (DLSS and RT), as well as all 3rd parties. They want to push it as far as they can, so it's in their best interest to offer Nintendo the hardware they want, and to support it on their API to make the implementation as easy as possible (just like we know they have already done).
I actually agree with that 100%. Also why use Nvidia if you are not using it most powerful features (like DLSS and RT).

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
It sounds nice and all, but you have to wonder if this is all really necessary for a system that will ultimately be running PS3/PS4 level games on it, at sub HD resolutions and below 60fps.

Kataploom

Gold Member
At this rate we will have a portable playstation and xbox before switch 2 is launched. If that happens it will take a massive bite out of nintendos current market share.
Ok, this is a great idea, they could even call it just "PSP" (PlayStation Portable) to follow PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5 naming convention :messenger_open_mouth:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
If you’re a true gaming fan you would love to see a graphical power house TOTK, imagine TOTK with PS5’s power, you’d never leave hyrule.

Ok, this is a great idea, they could even call it just "PSP" (PlayStation Portable) to follow PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5 naming convention :messenger_open_mouth:
Ask Sony why they haven't did it already?
And I have the answer - they have a hard time making games for home platform and they need to make it for another too. Sony just can't sustain separate handheld market. Nintendo in other hand has mixed the two markets - there is no separate handheld and home platforms since Switch.
It sounds nice and all, but you have to wonder if this is all really necessary for a system that will ultimately be running PS3/PS4 level games on it, at sub HD resolutions and below 60fps.
Nintendo have largest 60fps game library. I understand the salt but it will greatly help developers, especially on open-world games. Also much faster loading times is always welcome.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

I guess the alternative would be to pretend its 20 years ago and say that portables are dead based on one flawed overpriced unit with hardly any exclusive games and ignore the massive sales success of the current portable on the market, while simultaneously ignoring how easy it would be to port exclusive playstation games due to similar architecture.
But by all means, let's pretend everything is the same.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I would like to see the next Nintendo platform be around the same power as the Quest 3 and be in VR/AR. It should be BC with the switch and the games just play on a flat screen inside the headset.

I want Nintendo to do what they do best, innovate. Let’s see what Nintendo can do with VR/AR in 2025 and beyond.

Last edited:

Woopah

A LOT of people are still believing rumours that the Switch 2 will be comparable to a PS5 because of DLSS and will reach 4K and 60fps (even if the current switch has very few games at 1080p and 60fps), and it will be $399 making a profit of course.

I mean, the Steam Deck is a few miles ahead of the switch, the entry level is $399 and they are still losing money, but we'll see.
Pretty much all the credible rumours have Switch 2 being noticeably weaker than PS5, with DLSS and RT closing the gap somewhat. Those are the rumours people are believing.
I understand what you are talking about. And Also I have ZERO believing that they showed Matrix demo or BoTW running 60fps. From my experience Nintendo would never do that or care - they'd rather make something creative and unique to showcase capabilities of their console, as they always did. At least they will remake/remaster some part of BoTW to showcase a stark difference in graphics quality and performance (again, like they did before). All those numbers and RT is unimportant from their standpoint. 60fps or 30fps is a design choice and matter of other graphic factors - LOD's, resolution, e.t.c. And a Matrix demo is laughable - they'd rather recreate that without RT with some very clever GI backing and you don't even realise that it's not using any RT. We are talking about portable console after all.
When Nintendo does tech demos to third parties, it makes perfect sense for to demonstrate faster loading (BOTW) and UE5 compatability (Matrix).
The original Switch is already doing that no?

Last edited:

-Minsc-

I am a little curious what the next Ninten-sole will be. The Switch was a "Blue Ocean" but I'm assuming it's no longer so. Will they go blue ocean again? What could they really do to set themselves apart?

Top Bottom