• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR/NOT CONFIRMED] Assassin's Creed Empire (Egypt setting) screenshot leaked

Really hope this turns out good and they change and improve a bunch of stuff.

This is the first AssCreed game im excited about since Black Flag.

Thank god they're going back in time. Syndicate was fun but 1800s London really was one of the worse places and periods for the series gameplay-wise.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Really looking forward to this, the setting and the year off are exactly what AC needed.

I Egypt. I mean love it to the point that I sit at my computer just reading about it. But I just don't know if I can do another Ass Creed. The last one I played was Black Flag and I think im just tired of Ubi open world.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Greek shield interests me. Would much rather a game in Hellenistic Egypt than ancient Egypt.

Maybe it's both? Something set during Alexander the Great's conquest would easily allow for both settings.

Would genuinely like an explanation on how that's even remotely true?

Seconded, Ancient Greece is one of the most unique and eventful time periods in history. It's an extremely fertile setting for an adventure story.

Can't think of too many games in Egypt in fact I can't think of any(that i personally know of) so bring it on I'm thirsty for a new AC the wait has been good

An egyptian AC game is what I was hoping for as far back as when Ezio and Desmond were still relevant.

If this turns out to be true, it'll convince me to come back to the series.

SexyFish

Banned
It's the most vanilla setting they could've gone with.

French Revolution is "bland and boring"?
The idea of the French Revolution isn't bland and boring. People are tired of European countries being the only locations. That's why so many like the switch up that Black Flag was.

OldRoutes

Can't think of too many games in Egypt in fact I can't think of any(that i personally know of) so bring it on I'm thirsty for a new AC the wait has been good

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, too. I was actually looking forward to that Prince of Persia reboot or whatever that was, so this looks very interesting to me!

In pop culture Egypt has been done to death.

As of now it might be the most used setting in entertainment Ubisoft went with in the Assassin's Creed franchise.
Maybe in the sense that we've fought mummies and have seen and explored pyramids

But an actual historical Egyptian setting? We've never gotten that in a game before

I'm a fan of the AC series and I was getting tired of European settings.

Day one no doubt. My gf first console game that she played and completed was an AC game so no need to dip into my fun money for that month, I'll use her's.

Alexandria
Alexandria was founded around a small Ancient Egyptian town c. 331 BC by Alexander the Great. It became an important center of the Hellenistic civilization and remained the capital of Hellenistic and Roman and Byzantine Egypt for almost 1000 years until the Muslim conquest of Egypt in AD 641

Memphis
[Memphis] occupied a strategic position at the mouth of the Nile delta, and was home to feverish activity. Its principal port, Peru-nefer, harboured a high density of workshops, factories, and warehouses that distributed food and merchandise throughout the ancient kingdom. During its golden age, Memphis thrived as a regional centre for commerce, trade, and religion.

exodus-gods-and-kings-photo-of-set.jpg

6830eaabgw1ekvxa016rrj21kw0w04qq8204363.jpg

(Yes, that's Minecraft)

tumblr_lxo2yxevJy1qcbk0xo7_r1_1280.jpg

Braag

I hope this is true. Egypt is an interesting setting and I really hope they go way back in history. One of the main gripes I had with some of the latest AC games was that the settings were too modern.

Maybe it's both? Something set during Alexander the Great's conquest would easily allow for both settings.

Well Egypt right before Alexander isn't exactly "ancient" Egypt It's still hundreds of years after what people would probably consider ancient Egypt. Plus it was occupied by the Persians at that time.

Vintage

I hope we get smaller buildings, like in AC1 style - much better for traversal. The problem with high buildings (like in AC2 or AC:Syndicate) is that you either have to run on the streets where you don't need parkour or spend a minute slowly climbing straight up su you can start running on the rooftops. There's very little natural transition between street and rooftop levels. AC Syndicate had line launcher to counter that and it helped gameplay, but felt like a cheat.

Well Egypt right before Alexander isn't exactly "ancient" Egypt It's still hundreds of years after what people would probably consider ancient Egypt. Plus it was occupied by the Persians at that time.
That's a good thing. I mean the common mindset of ancient Egypt probably begins and ends with pyramids, mummies, and stone buildings by the river

Challenging that and showing a thriving sprawling Egyptian city, that's far more than those pop culture ideas, would be pretty great

Oozer3993

Love this series. Historical tourism + climbing on stuff is my kind of jam. Really excited for this. I really liked Unity and Syndicate but I'm ready for a shake up.

That's a good thing. I mean the common mindset of ancient Egypt probably begins and ends with pyramids, mummies, and stone buildings by the river

Challenging that and showing a thriving sprawling Egyptian city, that's far more than those pop culture ideas, would be pretty great
I'd be down if they take that challenge would love to see what an Egyptian city looks like instead of the typical sand,pyramids and mummies it's depicted as in most mainstream media

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'd be down if they take that challenge would love to see what an Egyptian city looks like instead of the typical sand,pyramids and mummies it's depicted as in most mainstream media
If there's one thing you can't fault Ubisoft for, it's that they have always done amazing work accurately lavishly portraying the cities and historical eras in the Assassin's Creed series

I'm totally expecting them to do the era justice here

Ugh this is going to have a map with icons on it, isn't it?

typical ubisoft.

Yeah, typical open world games that attempt to guide players on the world map with helpful icons, the nerve of them. I havent been excited for an ac game since 3, but the break has really rejuvinated my excitement for these games.
Looking forward to whatever direction this takes

Boem

You know, as someone who only plays these games to explore faithfully presented historical cities (and I haven't even played nearly all of them), I would be in for this.

The gameplay missions themselves are always a bit boring to me, but I love just walking around and exploring, and reading all the history stuff you unlock for the various buildings etc. It's more of a zen history simulator than an action game for me. Very relaxing after a long day.

Yeah, typical open world games that attempt to guide players on the world map with helpful icons, the nerve of them.

He's talking about the ridiculousness of stuff like this:

I hate it too. It's way too much, most of it isn't that interesting, it's just clutter, and instead of exploring a big, beautiful world and discovering things naturally you're following pointers on a map. There are much better ways of doing stuff like this. It's homework instead of an adventure.

I always have way more fun ignoring the map and turning those options off as much as possible. The first game becomes something else entirely (and much better) if you're ignoring the map. You actually do detective work instead of moving from pointer to pointer. The cycle changes from 'unlock map pointers, visit enough of them to unlock assassination pointer, do assassination mission, repeat' to 'go to city, explore, find natural places (market places/squares/churces, any type of meeting place' to find people who might have information about your target, and use the location information to actually build a plan instead of the game spelling everything out for you'.

As far as I know the later games don't really allow for that anymore, but the first game improves dramatically. You're not just an unstoppable killer, you actually have to think and pay attention. It definitely feels like the game was originally built for that.

Given that shield, I wouldn't surprised if they're doing Alexandria (or maybe multiple cities like the first Assassin's Creed). Then you can have a blend of Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine Egypt cultures, kind of like Constantinople in Revelations

Ashtar

We need another Zoolander/AC2 montage of famous assassinations and then pull back and they were wearing hoods: Genghis Khan Templar, Tokugawa templar, King Louis ?? Templars all of em!
Anyway obviously this picture is from the switch port if it's even real or maybe the 3DS port?

Markitron

I'm aware of that but I'd say it would still retain enough of the characteristics of Ancient Egypt to remain interesting to most people. My personal preference would be for the game to cover 3 time periods. Ancient Egypt circa 2000 BC, Alexandria-era Egypt/Greece in 300 BC thereabouts, with the final period being the Roman/Cleopatra era a few hundred years later.

Top Bottom