• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Paper Mario Wii U in development (Intelligent Systems)

MrBadger

Never understood how some people can think like this.

Some people would rather make fun of nerds on the internet than get good games to play. Whatever makes them happy I suppose

I guess I just like Mario RPG's too much to not see the funny side

And lo and behold! The leaks for E3 2015 that have so far evaded us are now so slowly perculating to the surface. Assassin's Creed Syndicate was first and now we have rumors of a possible Paper Mario Wii U sequel/remaster. Wouldn't be surprised with so few weeks to pass between now and E3 if these games are the real deal...

rhandino

Banned
ibbFQzp3yC21RV.gif

Never understood how some people can think like this.

mFeF8j.gif

Different people with different tastes

Sticker Star gave me everything I didn't get from the previous games what with the exploration and the stickers gameplay while the story, gameplay and concept of SPM made it incredible awesome and one of my most fondest memories on the Wii.

EDIT: Oh! I see that you had a problem with the tone used by those posters (with good reason)... sorry =3

RichardKSJ

Kind of hoping for a Sticker Star port just to piss everyone off

Are you some kind of sadist?

If it does turn out that way I guess I'll just suck it up and try to squeeze some enjoyment out of it. That is of course if this even happens.

-Horizon-

And lo and behold! The leaks for E3 2015 that have so far evaded us are now so slowly perculating to the surface. Assassin's Creed Syndicate was first and now we have rumors of a possible Paper Mario Wii U sequel/remaster. Wouldn't be surprised with so few weeks to pass between now and E3 if these games are the real deal...
Retro leak soon pls
inb4 dkcr3

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Sorry my definition of fun doesn't include: "Watching people get angry at the expense of others."

Well, speaking for myself, but I was honestly only kidding. I did enjoy SPM and SS though and wouldn't mind having something in that vein, and do think both weren't as bad as most feel they are. I'd also enjoy something like PM and TTYD as well though.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Well, speaking for myself, but I was honestly only kidding. I did enjoy SPM and SS though and wouldn't mind having something in that vein, and do think both weren't as bad as most feel they are. I'd also enjoy something like PM and TTYD as well though.

Well THAT is okay. I mean, I did enjoy Sticker Star.

Though I do understand why others don't and would prefer a TTYD style game this time.

jnWake

Looking at the backlash Sticker Star got, I doubt Miyamoto will stop IntSys from making a full RPG with a story, this time.

Sticker Star sold pretty well though, so they'll hardly notice the troops of angry internet forum dwellers.

sinxtanx

Sticker Star is the worst designed Nintendo game I've ever played

it has fundamentally bad gameplay

and instead of at least trying to work around that they just made everything trial and error

only good things are music and graphics

SCReuter

I really need to get around to playing Sticker Star. I have a hard time believing it's anywhere near as bad as you guys say it is.

I really need to get around to playing Sticker Star. I have a hard time believing it's anywhere near as bad as you guys say it is.

It's not. SPM had a ton of story content and is a far worse game than Sticker Star. Both games are a shadow of the first two entries but SPM is the only one I'd consider a bad game.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Well THAT is okay. I mean, I did enjoy Sticker Star.

Though I do understand why others don't and would prefer a TTYD style game this time.

Sure. I'll take what they give me though lol, not going to get my hopes up in either direction. It kind of feels like they're fine with the Mario & Luigi series being the Mario RPGs while Paper Mario has become more experimental as of late (though I'm not sure what other off-the-wall direction they could take offhand). I guess we'll see though.

Thought the first 2 were fantastic, with the TTYD being my fave, SPM was great, and SS....needed some work, but it wasn't bad. I'll mainly attribute that to questionable decision making on Intelligent Systems part (ditching the RPG elements and partners) and taking Miyamoto's suggestions for simple story and main series characters only, as gospel.

Anyway, if true, I'm anxious and ready for a return to form, though I can understand them wanting to change things up from time to time (though they probably didn't need to go as far as they did.) They shouldn't just ride on the tails of TTYD nostalgia though.

Sticker Star sold pretty well though, so they'll hardly notice the troops of angry internet forum dwellers.

Thank got it seems that Sticker Star did worse than TTYD and SPM (at least according to ******** but idk how much it is reliable, pls be true)

fernoca

Maybe I'm not remembering all details, but weren't the changes Miyamoto made in Sticker Star the result of feedback from Club Nintendo?

Why blame him, when people are always like "why Nintendo doesn't listen to feedback" and they listening to that; resulted in the changes.

Heck, his role is more of an advisor. Many darned him for "forcing no story" in Galaxy 2, but that also resulted in the director and team making even better and crazier stuff in Galaxy 2, 3D Land and 3D World. (insert YouTube video about 3D World gameplay approach)

I'm also in the camp that enjoyed Sticker Star for what it was, instead of what it wasn't. The hyperbole around it makes it sound as if it was an unpolished, horrible game with no redeeming qualities. Which has resulted on people ignoring the game just because.

MicH

While I absolutely loathed Sticker Star I actually enjoyed SPM. TTYD is much better than both, though, but SS was just really bad in my opinion

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I really hope this is true. I enjoyed Sticker Star. It's one of those games that a large section of the internet seems to hate because of what it isn't. The game itself is fun, though. It's the Other M of Nintendo 3DS.

If true, I hope it's similar to the first two. They're sogood.jpg. Wit, charm, and an engaging story carried by some inventive takes on traditional RPG mechanics make for very fun games.

Paper Mario: Another Dimension™ coming explosively to the Wii U.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Maybe I'm not remembering all details, but weren't the changes Miyamoto made in Sticker Star the result of feedback from Club Nintendo?

Why blame him, when people are always like "why Nintendo doesn't listen to feedback" and they listening to that; resulted in the changes.
Their interpretation of the Club Nintendo results were ridiculous. They went from "most people didn't consider the story to be the absolute best part of the previous games" to "then just get rid of the story, no one will miss it." There's a way to listen to feedback, SS isn't it.

What's with some of the hate for Super Paper Mario? It's one of my favorites in the series.

Well for me, aside from it being incredibly boring, it failed to be good at everything it attempted to be. It was a horrible platformer and a horrible RPG. The first two Paper Mario games were great RPGs with lots of extra non-RPG bits thrown in to make them even better.

I don't really think Sticker Star is much better than SPM but for some reason, I enjoyed it more. It still has plenty of problems though.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Heck, his role is more of an advisor. Many darned him for "forcing no story" in Galaxy 2, but that also resulted in the director and team making even better and crazier stuff in Galaxy 2, 3D Land and 3D World. (insert YouTube video about 3D World gameplay approach)

I'm also in the camp that enjoyed Sticker Star for what it was, instead of what it wasn't. The hyperbole around it makes it sound as if it was an unpolished, horrible game with no redeeming qualities. Which has resulted on people ignoring the game just because.

Yes, this was one of the things pointed out to their decision on why SS is the way it is, its because its exactly what the consumers wanted.

Pokemaniac

That does sound pretty bad yeah.

The worst part is it seems tolerable at first, but slowly gets worse over the course of the game.

Dunno why so many have to shit on SPM when its the best Paper Mario game. Just because they didn't like it because its not a RPG doesn't make it a bad game. Is like complaining about another 2D Mario game being made when its not 3D Mario.

Tho I do understand the want for a Paper Mario RPG 3. I want one too but at the same time I don't want one all that much since we still got M&L series. But I'd be down for another. Dunno why they wouldn't do it on a portable. Playing any game let alone RPGs on home consoles is horrible/portable bias. :p

Please be Super Paper Mario 2.

I don't hate on Sticker Star because it's not an RPG. I hate on it because i think that the core gameplay is deeply flawed. The game was simply not fun to play through without a walkthrough. Even with a walkthrough, it was still mediocre at best.

Even though I'd prefer the Paper Mario games to be more traditional RPGs, a la Thousand Year Door, I'm generally cool with Paper Mario going the experimental route as long as the games are still good. I was fine with Super Paper Mario, as it was a good game on it's own merits. I can't say the same for Sticker Star.

RPGCrazied

This might be the holiday game for sure, if true, since no Zelda. XCX wasn't really going to be it, its a niche jRPG. Everyone knows and loves Mario.

Yep, that was certainly part of it. They pretty much went with what was suggested to them at the time, influencing some of their decision making.

Brofield

No.

In this situation, I refuse to believe we get nice things.

Oh my God if we didn't just get PM64 we could have had an HD remastered collection of all four games minus 3D effects so everyone could be happy.

I'm not sure if tthis is refering to Paper Mario but James Anderson's LinkedIn says he's working on an unannounced title. He was a part of Paper Mario: Sticker Star's core development team from prototype to final product (and quite a few IS games. I assume this doesn't include anything that he's listed as technical support in credits for since that seems like middleware stuff)

Top Bottom