• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Paper Mario Wii U in development (Intelligent Systems)

Jay RaR

Actually as much as I love the series I sort of agree. I was trying to explain to my woman last night while playing the OG 64 game on the Wii U why it's paper (she thinks the concept is pretty stupid) and I was really struggling. I basically had to say it was neat from a technical standpoint 15 years ago but, really, it's not 15 years ago now, so what's the point?

Now, Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star used the paper esthetic, as a critical gameplay element for the former and conceptually for the world of the latter, but all y'all hate those games, so what's the point in continuing the paper thing?

I think people will like the gameplay aspect. I mean look at South Park Stick of Truth. It was the closest you could ever get to a Paper Mario clone in terms of gameplay and people generally loved it or were ok with it.

As for me, I REALLY hope the series will continue on from TTYD. I thought SPM was alright, but not worth returning back to. And please, no Miyamoto meddling or anything like Sticker Star.

rje

I loves it:

spmlove0zj2x.jpg

Zack and Wiki <3

Kito

As a gamer who's never played TTYD, Super Paper Mario was in my top favourites for Wii. I'm shocked to see the hate and even more shocked to see it being relegated to Sticker Star atrocity. I would be absolutely hyped for SPM2 on Wii U.

the concept of new characters and stories in an rpg scares me so i hope this is direct sequel to everybody's favorite game sticker star

PAPER MARIO 3 YOU HACK FRAUDS

RPGCrazied

Don't toy with my heart!! But if it is true, please be more like TTYD than Super Paper Mario. Didn't like that as much.

Sterok

Super Paper Mario is wonderful and an amazing game, better than the first one. Won't put it above TTYD, but it's still excellent. That being said, I do hope we get an RPG of some kind, even if it's not like the first two. Wii U needs RPGs more than platformers, and the series doesn't seem that conducive to an adventure game or whatever Sticker Star was.

Assuming it exists of course. Not sure if we have much reason to believe this.

BY2K

Membero Americo
oh yeah I remember that. I was really excited to see chain chomp as a partner back then.
xygzknb.jpg

Wait, that's a Sticker Star screenshot? The camera angle is completely different here from what it was to the final game. Just how much did it change?

Wait, that's a Sticker Star screenshot? The camera angle is completely different here from what it was to the final game. Just how much did it change?
A lot. Pretty sure the Iwata Asks for Sticker Star makes out the game's story and partners were already developed and finalized before Miyamoto felt it was too similiar to TTYD and made them streamline a lot of it. The sticker system was already there though, but I'm probably in the minority who didn't mind that battles system.

I don't *hate* Sticker Star, but it's very easily the worst of the four games and I'm wondering if a bit like Other M it's a sign Nintendo somehow lost sight of what people even liked from a seemingly simple series.

Faenix1

If it's more like the first Paper Mario then the other ones then I'd have enough games that interest me to make a Wii U purchase worth it.

It was eventually going to happen. Let's just hope this is the holy grail we paper mario fans have been waiting for for what feels like a decade.

Also I like how the young man above me thinks!

Dunno why so many have to shit on SPM when its the best Paper Mario game. Just because they didn't like it because its not a RPG doesn't make it a bad game. Is like complaining about another 2D Mario game being made when its not 3D Mario.

Tho I do understand the want for a Paper Mario RPG 3. I want one too but at the same time I don't want one all that much since we still got M&L series. But I'd be down for another. Dunno why they wouldn't do it on a portable. Playing any game let alone RPGs on home consoles is horrible/portable bias. :p

Please be Super Paper Mario 2.

opoth

Banned
As a gamer who's never played TTYD, Super Paper Mario was in my top favourites for Wii. I'm shocked to see the hate and even more shocked to see it being relegated to Sticker Star atrocity. I would be absolutely hyped for SPM2 on Wii U.

This - Super Paper Mario is an underrated gem. The less said about Sticker Star, the better though...

Yonafunu

i want it to be like sticker star but without that pesky turn-based combat, just let me jump on their heads like normal mario

or maybe use more of the stickers, like stickers for walking and stuff

oh and tone down on the story please that's not why i play these games

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I hope it's exactly like Sticker Star because I had a lot of fun with it and I like when the internet has a bitchfit because of its poor taste.

Hoping for a combination follow-up to Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star for this reason.

Even if this is real I'm not going to get excited yet, because while Sticker Star was ok, Super Paper Mario is one of my least favorite Nintendo games, ever. A colossal disappointment for me, personally.

Nintendo has hit it out of the park with most of their Wii U titles though, so I'm pretty confident it won't be as bad as SPM.

I like TTYD more too, but SPM is good in its own unique way ya know? And we don't get a lot of games like SPM anymore, even less than TTYD. So I totally want more.

I loves it:

spmlove0zj2x.jpg

Link's Crossbow Training and Wii Sports didn't come in proper cases in NA? That sucks :\

rhandino

Banned
!!!

Please, Please let this be! I need more Paper Mario in my life

I absolutely LOVE Super Paper Mario and i'm quite fond of Sticker Star so I'm not worried too much about the quality tbh

MrBadger

Dunno why so many have to shit on SPM when its the best Paper Mario game. Just because they didn't like it because its not a RPG doesn't make it a bad game. Is like complaining about another 2D Mario game being made when its not 3D Mario.

Tho I do understand the want for a Paper Mario RPG 3. I want one too but at the same time I don't want one all that much since we still got M&L series. But I'd be down for another. Dunno why they wouldn't do it on a portable. Playing any game let alone RPGs on home consoles is horrible/portable bias. :p

Please be Super Paper Mario 2.

I wouldn't say it's the best because of some of its gameplay choices. Definitely has the best storyline, characters and music though.

RichardKSJ

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM YES.

I FUCKING SWEAR IF THIS ISN'T REAL. I'LL, I'LL, IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'LL!

cry ;_:

This is all I could ever ask for. You know as long as it's a proper game, with a proper story, and proper combat.

Top Bottom