• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Paper Mario Wii U in development (Intelligent Systems)

L95

I found SPM alright, but Sticker Star right after that really killed my enthusiasm for any new games in the series.

Enforced

I hate to be that guy, but... just re-released TTYD in HD with full 16:9, GCN controller support, extra mini-games, and a new optional whole chapter in order to get Ms. Mowz.
I don't mind that. I lost my original copy. I hate myself for not taking care of my original copy.

jholmes

I played Super Paper Mario.

That was not a paper mario rpg. That game felt like just a regular platformer.

I have no issue with people saying they didn't like Super Paper Mario, but to say it's "just a regular platformer," you've got to be kidding me. Did you really play it? I don't know too many "regular" platformers like Super Paper Mario.

SalvaPot

mhZaU2c.gif

6Fy2vV5.gif

L95

I hate to be that guy, but... just re-released TTYD in HD with full 16:9, GCN controller support, extra mini-games, and a new optional whole chapter in order to get Ms. Mowz.

I would be okay with this, and I still have my original copy, haha.

Tizoc

Oh, PAPER Mario, thought it was another normal Mario platformer game haha.
Either way I am in, make it happen Ninty~

Kriken

I never played Sticker Star, could someone explain to me why it's so bad?

Imagine Paper Mario for the N64, but remove anything interesting from the story. Now imagine battles being completely meaningless and you need to collect items to even jump or use your hammer and by the time you get to the desert boss you've maxed out your coins. Also imagine that there are no partners and bosses require certain items to beat them

I may or may not hate Sticker Star

Terrell

Paper Mario was a fun little aesthetic and gameplay experiment that has gotten very out of hand. I'd rather they just moved on from it.

Shojx

It's been a long time since I've wanted a rumor to be true this badly.

I've been wondering if a new Paper Mario title was in development for the past few years, and I was hoping to see something during the E3-related Directs we've had the last couple years.

I love TTYD but I've recently replayed it and have access to it, so I'm hoping that if this rumor is true, it's about a brand new title rather than a remaster. I think they should release TTYD as an emulated title for Wii U for those who want to play that (amazing) game.

My only request is that this hypothetical new game is closer in style to the first two games.

Gnilres

I don't even care if it's not like the first two I just want a new one!

I'm going to regret saying that, I just know it

Soriku

Paper Mario was a fun little aesthetic and gameplay experiment that has gotten very out of hand. I'd rather they just moved on from it.

No. The series still has a lot of potential if they actually listen to fans and make a TTYD sequel.

I'd actually be more intrigued by something not using the original formula down to a tee, but the last two attempts at that were the weaker pair so I'm in a bind here.
Tried and true safe formula is probably the better way to go at this point, I just hope they can find a way to kick things off without it being too familiar. Another slow opening crawl of basic jumps, pull back stick hammers and being accompanied by a tattling headbonking goomba might wear me down like the M&L series repetition has.

Or just give me a Shyguy partner at last and I'll take all the tedious chapter 1 goomba battles IS can give me.

Vena

I can't wait for the downgrade betrayal! They'll cut down our hyper-realistic 3D billions of polygons Mario and Co. models to 2D paper cutouts! This is a travesty!

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah you're both right. Damn that's super lame!

I love Super Paper Mario, but that part just seemed a bit overboard hahaha.

I don't mind Nintendo also try another unique approach to Paper Mario. Sometimes their experiments are quite good. Just not Sticker Star, gross :p

jholmes

Actually as much as I love the series I sort of agree. I was trying to explain to my woman last night while playing the OG 64 game on the Wii U why it's paper (she thinks the concept is pretty stupid) and I was really struggling. I basically had to say it was neat from a technical standpoint 15 years ago but, really, it's not 15 years ago now, so what's the point?

Now, Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star used the paper esthetic, as a critical gameplay element for the former and conceptually for the world of the latter, but all y'all hate those games, so what's the point in continuing the paper thing?

Dr. Buni

I'd rather they move from Fire Emblem and keep making more Paper Marios. Although as far as Mario RPGs are concerned, Mario & Luigi is the true GOAT.
Now, Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star used the paper esthetic, as a critical gameplay element for the former and conceptually for the world of the latter, but all y'all hate those games, so what's the point in continuing the paper thing?
I don't. Well, SPM at least, because I haven't played Sticker Star yet. SPM is imo the best Paper Mario, simply because it isn't a chore to play (worst part is the lack of partners).

Pokemaniac

I never played Sticker Star, could someone explain to me why it's so bad?

It's a combination of ALL attacks requiring consumable items, battles only giving you coins, not experience, and thing stickers causing some really stupid trial and error stuff. In particular, the intended way to figure out the bosses' weaknesses appears to be to lose against them once so you can see their attacks so that you can hopefully figure out which thing stickers (which you may not have even found yet) you can use to counter them. That's not to even mention the environmental puzzles involving thing stickers. Also, there's of course the fact that trying to use a thing sticker, even in a wrong situation, uses it up, and reaquireing them can be a real pain.

Actually as much as I love the series I sort of agree. I was trying to explain to my woman last night while playing the OG 64 game on the Wii U why it's paper (she thinks the concept is pretty stupid) and I was really struggling. I basically had to say it was neat from a technical standpoint 15 years ago but, really, it's not 15 years ago now, so what's the point?

Because people really enjoyed the first two Paper Mario games, how they played and the world and characters they contained. Just like any other desire for a sequel.

Amir0x

Banned
that says "Nintendo gamecube"

the only game they have listed under Wii U is Game and Wario

what are people freaking out over

haha oh man this is embarrassing. All this for a Gamecube listing of Thousand Year Door? Is this true? So basically a list of games Intelligent Systems has made over the years lol

collige

Banned

People's issues with Sticker Star have nothing to do with the sticker aesthetic and everything to do with the core gameplay design. Regardless, TTYD made great use of the paper element with Mario turning into a plane, rolling up, turning sideways, etc.

I'm not going to get excited because I don't want my heart to be broken again. Super Paper Mario was different but not bad, and afterwards I thought "Okay it will be back to the traditional style next time." NOPE.

Top Bottom