• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sega Europe about to close, no more Sega AAA, focusing on digital only

Sandfox

Were this rumor true they wouldn't even be making Sonic or any major retail titles at all.

...Which is why at least something here seems off.

Is Sonic even an AAA title? Even if it is they could just reduce the budget they use to develop the games.

Bukana

images

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah I think the article off. They apparently canned a bunch of stuff in development, like a supposed Jet Set revival, but I don't think they are completely ignoring consoles.

The only thing that would make sense to me is if they're shutting down Sega Europe (and their associated console projects) and leaving Sega Networks Europe alive, and then shoving games that are largely digital (a la Total War and Football Manager) under that brand instead.

No, instead they make games for Sega, which then Sega merely dumps into the market or fails to release in some regions altogether, such as Vanquish and what's going on with Max Anarchy.

Basically if the total death and liquidation of Sega is what it takes to get Anarchy Reigns out in the west then so be it.

So nearly kill an entire company and have hundreds of people lose their jobs for that? Like I said, there's nothing stopping Platinum from taking their business elsewhere.

Anyway, this is really strange since Nagoshi recently wrote in his blog that he's headed to E3. He certainly isn't working on any mobile games.

Scirrocco

So does this mean those guys can re-release Streets of Rage Remix now? Sega Europe was the branch which complained, if i remember correctly.

aeolist

Banned
There's nothing Sega makes that wouldn't work on the smaller-budget platforms, and their highest costing games have always been the millstone around their neck anyway

Eusis

Wonder if they'd let Creative Assembly go after this. I never gave their games a serious chance, but they've been very well liked so it'd be a shame to just kill them outright.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So does this mean those guys can re-release Streets of Rage Remix now? Sega Europe was the branch which complained, if i remember correctly.

For some reason this made me laugh. This is the firs thing you thought of LOL

Edit: Nintendo should buy sonic. I support that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
After seeing their treatment of Silent Hill and that weird nonsense with Blades of Time, Konamis not a whole lot better.

They've treated the Lords of Shadow team very well. I doubt they're why the Silent Hill and Blades of Time games are so mediocre. That's more needing to look at their own teams and rethink it.

So nearly kill an entire company and have hundreds of people lose their jobs for that? Like I said, there's nothing stopping Platinum from taking their business elsewhere.

Anyway, this is really strange since Nagoshi recently wrote in his blog that he's headed to E3. He certainly isn't working on any mobile games.

Have you played Anarchy? It's sublime. Also, if Nagoshis heading down to E3, all I can imagine he's doing for is a Yakuza announcement, which is awesome!

They've treated the Lords of Shadow team very well. I doubt they're why the Silent Hill and Blades of Time games are so mediocre. That's more needing to look at their own teams and rethink it.

I'm not referring to the games quality, I'm referring to their handling of them as a publisher. The orignal plan to release 3 Silent Hill games in a single month, the LOSS of Silent Hill 2 and 3s source code, the endless game of round robin they're playing with developers with the franchise, and the bizarre publishing craziness that Jim Sterling found out on trying to figure out if Blades of Time had even released.

woolley

Sucks if true for all the people that would lose their jobs but even as a whole I never remember ever caring about any Sega game so even if they go down totally(I know this is just their EU division) it wouldn't bother me at all.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
There's nothing Sega makes that wouldn't work on the smaller-budget platforms, and their highest costing games have always been the millstone around their neck anyway

Sega is not going to stop making retail Sonic games. This is just misinterpretation. :)

The only thing that would make sense to me is if they're shutting down Sega Europe (and their associated console projects) and leaving Sega Networks Europe alive, and then shoving games that are largely digital (a la Total War and Football Manager) under that brand instead.

Yeah this would make sense, Football Manager and Total War make them too much money for them to give them up; does Sega Europe make anything else that's remotely successful?

Nintendo buy Sonic, make Sonic games incredible again.

Make Shenmue 3.

Sega still alive in heart of gamers
except it will say published and developed by Nintendo.

WIN/win??

Sounds like bullshit or like it's been heavily exaggerated. No way are they completely focusing on mobile phones and tablets.

And I don't understand how on earth they could think their western strategy has been that ineffective. They own Football Manager FFS.

Lets say, that if i didnt play the Max Anarchy demo, this would have been sad, but i would have been able to move on, but damn it, that demo is amazing, and this is just another sign that this game wont come out here :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah this would make sense, Football Manager and Total War make them too much money for them to give them up; does Sega Europe make anything else that's remotely successful?

They did before Sega split all the useful parts into a branch called Sega Networks a month or so ago.

ShadiWulf

I think this rumor might be getting taken out of context.

i guess we will see though, but I think it just means SEGA Europe themselves is no longer making any AAA games, and will concentrate on digital games, which would be in line with SEGA's new digital strategy.

CassSept

Were this rumor true they wouldn't even be making Sonic or any major retail titles at all.

...Which is why at least something here seems off.

Isn't Sonic franchise as good as dead though?

I know M&S Olympics sales, but besides that, what's the draw for the general audience?

So, if we consider true, is that SegaTon 2.0? Well then, this is the way the world ends...

So GAF rips on Sega with little to no mercy for around 5 years and then whines like they're losing a close relative when they finally kick the bucket.

I'm kind of glad they gave up on the west, we deserve it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So Sega is most likely focusing on digital games in PSN and XBLA?

Top Bottom