• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sega Europe about to close, no more Sega AAA, focusing on digital only

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yes, I think the one thing the article makes clear is Creative Assembly's very last game will be presented at E3.

Just wondering though, what studios does Sega have in Europe? Creative Assembly and Sports Interactive? Is that it?
Hardlight was another, I think.

Three Rings Design is in NA, right?

Kazerei

Banned
The original French article seemed to have been using the previous sentence as a base, then went into describing the last game by Creative Assembly, and then said that Sega will not be at Gamescom, so I assumed they were just talking about Sega Europe only. Or at least, the tone of article seemed to have been French/European-centric.

Ah well.

Yeah the sentence is just "Sega ... will no longer develop AAA games on consoles", but it doesn't specify Sega Europe or Sega's western studios, just "Sega". Hopefully they imply just the western studios, but the article doesn't exactly say that.

Wipe yourself off Sega.

TMQ1Xl.jpg

You dead

Ice cold.

jman2050

My excuses then. I concede the case.

(I honestly didn't expect it to ship so much, that is indeed quite impressive)

Of note is that Unleashed and Colors sold even more because Generations lacked a Wii version.

Sonic is still very much alive, despite its best efforts otherwise...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Real talk though, this was a long time coming. Considering the simians Sega had running the board of directors, it's actually surprising they lasted as long as they have.

I don't see why they would spend all this money on new games (completely revamping Yakuza for one thing), and then cancel it all.

But then again, this is a new world of video games. The gen where everyone is an asshole.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah the sentence is just "Sega ... will no longer develop AAA games on consoles", but it doesn't specify Sega Europe or Sega's western studios, just "Sega". Hopefully they imply just the western studios, but the article doesn't exactly say that.
Yeah, I was struggling with this bit for a while: <<Dans la foulée, Sega devrait annoncer également, toujours selon ces sources, ne plus développer des jeux AAA sur consoles...>> since the branch wasn't specified. And before that they were talking about ineffective western stuff, and I think Sega Europe had that sort of thing covered, so... I hope it implied western stuff and not the entire company. Edit: Now that I think about it, wouldn't the headline of the article say that Sega wouldn't be developing AAA stuff anymore if that were the case, as opposed to just "Is Sega Europe closing its doors?"

Guevara said:
Nintendo should buy the Sonic franchise. Sonic Galaxy still needs to happen.
Someone didn't play Colours.

VerTiGo

Banned
If you guys think you won't see Sonic games on Nintendo platforms then you're nuts. You don't need all these studios or buildings, etc... Sega had a lot of worthless investments, this is a smart decision.

However, when I hear news like this is makes me hope that they get into a low enough position that Nintendo sweeps up the Sega brand, at least before Microsoft does, which would suck.

SEGA does what Nintendo don't. It's true, but together they would make the greatest force in gaming ever. I hope that I get to see that happen in my lifetime...

t26

Can Sega get Atlus to publish their RPGs, like back in the GBA days when Atlus published the Shinning games?

Riposte

No more "AAA" games sounds like complete bullshit lol. However if Sega Europe ends up closing I wonder what that means for Total War.

dream

I hope they bring some of their best titles to iOS. Stuff like Skies of Arcadia, Panzer Dragoon, and Valkyria Chronicles would be awesome on iPad.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think that this is a complete rumor that won't turn out at all like many people are thinking...

but

It would be absolutely hilarious if the last Sonic game released was Sonic Generations.

while this is disheartening, I'm confused, I thought SEGA of Europe was doing better than SoA. I wonder what this means for DOA5, since apparently they were publishing it for the European territories.

Still, I hope for better things for SEGA and those affected find work soon.

Time for Nintendo to get out their wallet, it seems. It's the right thing to do. They could use the Sega name sort of the way Disney used the Miramax name back in the day.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm pretty sure they're still cranking out Japanese AAA titles such as Sonic and Yakuza but from the looks of it, they'll provide big focuses on digital platforms such as mobile phones and PSN/XBLA (see their current lineup of digital games).

thisis all your guys fault for buying stupid playstation 2because of dumb hype and rubber ducky bull shit The Dreamcast had everything gaf saysthey want original titles and non sequals and this is how you return the favor. have fun with your go of war and the next uncharted that with still crud shooting and have fun with psn going down again over and over.

This is the best post ever.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
So wouldn't it be great if Nintendo bought them? I mean they could save whatever series they wanted, plus fix anything Sega messed up.

PLUS! Nintendo could have a mobile games department and just use the Sega name for it.

I am a genius, Nintendo, please hire me.

TheNatural

My Member!
So wouldn't it be great if Nintendo bought them? I mean they could save whatever series they wanted, plus fix anything Sega messed up.

PLUS! Nintendo could have a mobile games department and just use the Sega name for it.

I am a genius, Nintendo, please hire me.

There's no value in buying a floundering company. Maybe buying the rights to a franchise, like Sonic, and putting their own team on it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
fixed

oh god no
Dimps doesn't count. D:

thisis all your guys fault for buying stupid playstation 2because of dumb hype and rubber ducky bull shit The Dreamcast had everything gaf saysthey want original titles and non sequals and this is how you return the favor. have fun with your go of war and the next uncharted that with still crud shooting and have fun with psn going down again over and over.
This is the best post in the thread. :lol

There's no value in buying a floundering company. Maybe buying the rights to a franchise, like Sonic, and putting their own team on it.

That's pretty much the idea behind it. It's not like Sega is filled with incompetent programmers or anything, either. They just need better direction and creative decision makers, which Nintendo would definitely provide.

Eusis

Yeah, I was struggling with this bit for a while: <<Dans la foulée, Sega devrait annoncer également, toujours selon ces sources, ne plus développer des jeux AAA sur consoles...>> since the branch wasn't specified. And before that they were talking about ineffective western stuff, and I think Sega Europe had that sort of thing covered, so... I hope it implied western stuff and not the entire company. Edit: Now that I think about it, wouldn't the headline of the article say that Sega wouldn't be developing AAA stuff anymore if that were the case, as opposed to just "Is Sega Europe closing its doors?"
Yeah, I'm SERIOUSLY hoping it's just stating things in regards to European development rather than Sega development on a whole, because it'd REALLY suck if they retreated to mobile/tablet near exclusively.

... That, and honestly it doesn't make sense to me for them to abandon the 3DS at the least. Though I guess that's a mobile platform in the sense it's a self contained device you carry with you to play games on.

Just needed quoting.

The AAA note would be universal, not just European, according to the rumor.

NO. WHY DO YOU LIE??

Ravage

I was saddened by the news but then i read this...holy shit i can't stop laughing ^ ^

joke post?

If true then GOD DAMN

Oh trust me he means it. Just go through his post history.

Top Bottom