• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: So Killzone: SF was only using 1.5GB of VRAM

thuway

Very. Nvidia across the board have worse memory bandwidth than AMD cards in the same price bracket and at 1080p with no or little AA they usually trade blows, but not when you ramp up AA. Looking at the memory bus alone Nvidia uses 192bit for 660-660ti and 256bit for 670-680 while AMD uses 256bit for 7850-7870 and 384bit for 7950-7970. There are more factors to it (the last gen Nvidia 580 had a 384bit bus), but the proof is in the pudding as you can see below.
Framerate%201920x1080%20FPS.png

Here's a very good post about the 660-660ti and why the most common 2GB models aren't really 2GB. Kinda off topic, but it shows how memory bandwidth can be hid from consumers.

And I think from a technical perspective that Crysis 3 is really well optimized. They aren't the best around in making a pretty game art wise, but the beta used 100% of my GPU (common) and pretty much 100% of my four CPU cores (not common) so I think it moved tasks between both using as much of the total performance as it could. It's also the only game I know of where AMDs eight core CPU beat Intels quad cores. In raw performance AMDs eight cores aren't bad for the price, but making very threaded games is hard so most games performed much better on Intel's CPUs because they had much more powerful cores. It wasn't that uncommon to see even Intels dual core i3 beat eight core AMD CPUs.

Excellent post.

TheD

The Detective
the current PS3 model has 256MB of system ram, and 256MB of vram.
I'd like to think that 512MB for the OS would be enough.

I honestly think the primary reason for all the ram is to make personal streaming possible, on top of all the new pretty. I can't imagine what else you would use 8GB of DDR5 ram for. My PC has 4GB of DDR3, and it's mostly fine running molasses windows and a little xsplit streaming.

4GB for a gaming PC has been a good amount for this gen. 4GB for a console(which uses less base system resources due to less background processes, lighter OS, on top of games being optimized for the console's specs, instead of having to cater to a wide range of gpu/cpu combos and setups) period seems like overkill, much less 8GB.

Grrr

GDDR5!, You can not drop a letter off at your choosing!

And BTW, streaming does not use much RAM.

vazel

Banned
Why do people think 512mb of ram is not a lot? Windows xp only needed 128mb....

512mb is a lot of ram...
WinXP with 128MB is usable. But you'll get sluggishness all throughout even with mundane tasks like web surfing. I would not want to use WinXP SP2 with less than 512MB RAM.

pottuvoi

Banned
WinXP with 128MB is usable. But you'll get sluggishness all throughout even with mundane tasks like web surfing. I would not want to use WinXP SP2 with less than 512MB RAM.
True, using HDD as ram is not very fast solution.

512MB should be plenty, especially if they use it properly.

jhzSiKJ0FgToq.png

Feels like he's dodging the question. How can the game's director himself not know what's going into memory? Seriously?

Yeah, it's more or a less a rewording of the usual 'no commend on rumors or speculations' line.

I don't know why they wouldn't want to say, it's a bit odd.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Feels like he's dodging the question. How can the game's director himself not know what's going into memory? Seriously?

The specifics of memory allocation are not a detail a game director should necessarily be concerning themselves with. Outside of specific circumstances, it isn't going to be relevant to their role.

This guy being unable to confirm a specific memory usage value in response to an ad hoc question is not a negative reflection on his ability.

Top Bottom