• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony Announcing Cloud Gaming Deal (Gaikai or OnLive) at E3

tumblr_lrvxkjQb5o1qfu4tho1_250.jpg

And I thought my internet was bad. I'm in Australia of all places.

I was thinking what's the point:

and well i think it's either to:

1. Make sure PS3 stays relevant for years as cheap entertainment center for casuals and non dedicated gamers (Blu-ray, streaming from netflicks, streaming games to it) long past that 10 year plan they promised.
2. Streaming full console games to Vita - in this case wi-fi won't be limitation since they are smaller resolution.

Only thing that might be iffy is who becomes the content provider if you don't enjoy the service

The cloud service or SEN?

This is gonna need a whole fucking road-map to let us know what it's all about

This might also be a ploy by Sony to swerve the PS4 no BC option (SEN wise)
Hey you can still play your PSN games through Onlive/Gaikai

God, I hope SEN isn't the provider. SEN is open (one of its greatest strengths), so they need to allow onlive/gaikai to run their own service/servers, etc.

I think cloud BC is a pretty great idea so long as it includes bc for PS1 onwards. Being able to play a set fee per month to play any PS1, PS2 and PS3 games on PS4 via cloud would be game changing and instantly give Sony a massive selling point that neither Ninty or MS could ever hope to be able match.

Do it Sony and I'll be there day one for PS4, no matter the cost.

1970688374.png

Why I don'y give a shit about streaming games.

Question though. With my 360 on it doubles in speed(to above picture) on my PC when my 360 is off is drops to about 5 mb/s I have my PC and 360 hooked up to a network switch. Why does this happen?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This would be more newsworthy if it worked both ways i.e. PS3 games in the cloud that could be streamed. Also if the Vita could be enabled as a streaming client.

jono51

Banned
Pc games on Ps3?

I don't think they'd allow that tbh, as games have to go through certification to get on the system.

I think what this is gonna be is a PSclassics streaming service, for ps1/2 stuff. If it is, I do wonder what the pricing will be. e.g. per game, per hrs streaming, $x/mo unlimited etc

zroid

Banned
We pay $60/month for this crap:

1970999142.png

Oh, Canada!

But the real reason I don't give a shit about streaming games (or streaming anything, for that matter)? Bandwidth limits

I think Sony/MS would probably make some agreements with the ISPs to avoid such problems.

Bandwidth limits seem to be only a problem in the US/Canada, in Germany (where I live) there is no such thing. Internet is quite cheap here, I currently have a 32Mbit connection with unlimited traffic for $25 or 20€. 100Mbit costs only $37 or 30€ with unlimited traffic.

You know I wonder if Trophies will be connected with this "cloud service" But if it does get OnLive (I have some games purchased on there) I will definitely consider Playstation Plus.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This was exciting and then I saw I get 1.92 MBps download speed and now I can't possibly care :(

Also, if these things manage to be run off the PS3 servers, it's going to be a disaster. I don't think that's going to be the case, though.

haven't used Gaikai, but onlive coming to PS3 isn't that big of a deal.

Content wise, it's pretty lacking. Saying that, there is a certain appeal to playing Amnesia on a big screen telly with the volume way up and curtains closed.
Isn t that big of a deal?

Lol, it's a huge deal.

Dunlop

We pay $60/month for this crap:

1970999142.png

Oh, Canada!

But the real reason I don't give a shit about streaming games (or streaming anything, for that matter)? Bandwidth limits

http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp

I was finally able to escape the incumbants internet in Quebec with the new CRTC regulations but you have had cheap internet available to you forever in Ontario.

ProTip - Rogers does not have to tools to accurately monitor the usage, take the 28/1 plan for $46 and you can even bust the 300GB cap without worry , although I assume you are living with a 60GB limit right now.

What kind of speeds do you need for these services? Currently I get 16/1.5mbps

Why does America seem to be going backwards as far as broadband goes?

So you guys didn't have bandwidth limits and ISPs are now starting to implement them?

In Europe it's exactly the other way around, we started with them, then each ISP would increase them one by one until they just started removing them completely. I don't think any ISP has bandwidth limits for broadband connections now.

Here's mine btw:
1971081408.png

€49 a month, with TV (Fiber Optic) and Phone included

Red UFO

Since everyone started posting images of their connection speed, here's mine too. :D
1971072951.png

Fu*k game streaming...
Yeah, this is similar to mine.
I'm all up for steaming shit, as soon as we get to the point where our internet connections are fast enough, reliable enough, and caps are gone.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
It's Gaikai not OnLive and yes these servers will be run on Sony Owned servers with licensed technology from Gaikai..

Gaikai stated earlier this year that they would enable full game streaming in 2012... Everyone believed ti would be a TV manufacturer doing this, but now it seems it's Sony.

Microsofot will have to follow suit and Steve Perlaman and Microsoft have a history so I can see Sony getting Gaikai and Microsoft making a push for OnLives patients..

1971095842.png

Raide

Just a slight question/concern...what kind of effect does this have on retail gaming? That is a massive side of the industry with most of the money is made. Is cloud gaming going to make a massive impact on that side of the industry if someone big backs it i.e. Sony?

Just a slight question/concern...what kind of effect does this have on retail gaming? That is a massive side of the industry with most of the money is made. Is cloud gaming going to make a massive impact on that side of the industry if someone big backs it i.e. Sony?
Could work the same as the deal Nintendo announced for Wii U/3DS - retailers are given physical cards to sell which can be redeemed for games to download/stream, the pricing is set by them.

Derrick01

Banned
1970688374.png

Why I don'y give a shit about streaming games.

That's fast enough to play onlive at least, because that's pretty much exactly the same as mine and I was able to use it on PC on a wireless connection without much problem.

The issue is how awful the games look when you stream though. I would much rather have a download option.

paskowitz

Damn thats fast but your at college you don't own that :)

Funny since their fastest is 150/150 advertised you somehow got more!! I wish I could afford the 150/150 but it's 200.00 a month!!

They take my money for 5 years... so for the next 3 it is mine.

Can you actually play anything there or do they block you all the ports? :p

No port blocking... at least that I have encountered. Drexel is pretty good with their IT department. Torrenting, torrent sites, fileshare sites, etc are not blocked, only frowned upon (IOW if you do it a lot they will notice, but they are not going to bang on your door for using it legitimately (pCARS, etc).)

Nope. do not want.

For the record, I think onlive is fine on a 30mb connection, but if the ps4 is just a streaming box, they can forget it.

only bought 2 games on onlive when I had the pound deal and the free console. Would never pay full price for a game I don't even have a copy of, unless it was at a lower than app store price.

Didn't Gaikai claim one of the three is pulling out of the console race at this E3 a few months ago?

Yeah

Speaking during CES, Nanea Reeves, chief product officer for Gaikai, predicted, "Not all of the current console makers will have one more generation. That will be the big news at E3." (CES / Consumer Electronics Show, Culture, Dev, Gaikai, Industry, Next-Gen)​

http://n4g.com/news/919603/sony-or-microsoft-to-bow-out-of-next-gen-console-race-predicts-gaikai

If one of them announced heavy investment in cloud serving games, I wouldn't be that surprised actually. With the clout of a big company like Sony or MS, it could work, and the actual devices would be cheap. I can't imagine Sony doing that though...

lucius

I get 19 Mbps wired and 15 wifi, I have Cablevision. Should be good if they include it with Playstation Plus otherwise the most I would pay is $5 a month, because I rather spend that money on PSN or Live games.

Varth

Posted? Got this in my mailbox right now. This pretty much clears any doubt about the partner.

Hello,

I know it is late in the booking process, but hopefully you will have an open slot. Gaikai, created by David Perry (Earthworm Jim and 100 other games), has some major announcements in store for E3 that have the potential to change the future of video games, game consoles and how we play. Gaikai will change the way you view consoles.

We would like to invite you to the Gaikai meeting room (Room 306 above the South Hall) on June 5, 6, or 7 to hear all about Gaikai's disruptive plans from the Company's CEO, David Perry.

Tuesday (6/5) - Noon thru 5pm. Presentations will begin every half hour. If you can't make the presentation, come by for drinks from 5-7pm.

Wednesday (6/6) - Noon thru 5pm. Presentations will begin every half hour. If you can't make the presentation, come by for drinks from 5-7pm.

Thursday (6/7) - Noon thru 6pm. Presentations will begin every half hour.

Space is limited in each presentation, so please let us know as soon as possible when you can come by and we'll schedule you in. If you plan on bringing a video camera, please let us know and we'll reserve a special spot for you.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Redner

theRednerGroup for Gaikai

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yeah

Speaking during CES, Nanea Reeves, chief product officer for Gaikai, predicted, "Not all of the current console makers will have one more generation. That will be the big news at E3." (CES / Consumer Electronics Show, Culture, Dev, Gaikai, Industry, Next-Gen)​

http://n4g.com/news/919603/sony-or-microsoft-to-bow-out-of-next-gen-console-race-predicts-gaikai

If one of them announced heavy investment in cloud serving games, I wouldn't be that surprised actually. With the clout of a big company like Sony or MS, it could work, and the actual devices would be cheap. I can't imagine Sony doing that though...

With internet speeds/connection rates among owners across the nation, I can't imagine any company actually doing that.

Ocaso

With internet speeds/connection rates among owners across the nation, I can't imagine any company actually doing that.

A company banking on Internet connection speeds improving over the next 5 years would be no different than MS or Sony banking on HD adoption rates increasing as they did 6 years ago. It seems a fairly safe bet, I think.

A company banking on Internet connection speeds improving over the next 5 years would be no different than MS or Sony banking on HD adoption rates increasing as they did 6 years ago. It seems a fairly safe bet, I think.

No. I don't think it's the same at all. PS3 and 360 still work on SD consoles. Infact many, many people use them on SD consoles.

In both Gaikai and Onlive you can't get the service to work at all if you have a weak connection.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Unless something fantastic happens you wont be seeing PS3 or PS4 quality games on either service 720p is the max resolution as of today and their not clean 720p more compressed youtube like.

More than likely it's a service to allow both PS3 and Vita to play a huge PS1/PS2 games catalog for playstation plus members without additional costs to the yearly fee.

paskowitz

Just realized that this "Rumor: Sony Announcing Cloud Gaming Deal (Gaikai or OnLive) at E3" became a stealth brag about internet connection thread.

Plinko

Have they really improved over the previous 5 years? How about broadband adoption?

I haven't really seen any numbers.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Unless something fantastic happens you wont be seeing PS3 or PS4 quality games on either service 720p is the max resolution as of today and their not clean 720p more compressed youtube like.

More than likely it's a service to allow both PS3 and Vita to play a huge PS1/PS2 games catalog for playstation plus members without additional costs to the yearly fee.
OnLIve looked better than the 720p youtube when I played it. I think the service like this would be absolutely usable for people who don't demand the absolute best A/V quality but want to play PS4 games on PS3. Or PS3 and PS4 games on Vita (especially on vita compression wouldn't be as visible due to oled and higher PPI.

Nilaul

Technically speeking in onlive like feature was the main feature of an future console, it would rule out the need for costumer upgrades?

As someone who followed OnLive since its inception, and used to post rather frequently in its official thread on GAF, I have to say that for Sony's sake, I really hope that their cloud gaming partner is Gaikai.

I've been surprised and quite frankly appalled by how OnLive seems to be, at the end of the day, a pretty poorly-run company:

They promised game releases that never came; Witcher 2 for example, and their "flagship" game last E3 was the "exclusive tablet-compatible version" of From Dust, which never came out for the service in any form, tablet, desktop, or otherwise.

They hyped up the Android and iOS OnLive Player app releases, including an iPad giveaway, but forgot to do something arguably important beforehand - submit it to the iOS App Store. Apple apparently rejected it, and OnLive has since quietly pretended that it never existed. (It did come out this past December for Android, however.)

I was pleasantly surprised that they held off on hyping up the OnLive Desktop app until it got approved just a couple of months later. Really seemed like they learned from their mistakes with the iOS Player app. Turns out that the Desktop app was running unlicensed copies of Windows 7. Microsoft forced them to switch to licensed versions of Windows Server 2008, which doesn't have as much touch functionality as Win7. As an app supposedly intended for enterprise use, I don't see how they think any enterprise customer would take them seriously after a decidedly amateurish licensing debacle.

All of this is wrapped around in a PR and community approach that can be best described as near-complete stonewalling.

I'm not the biggest fan of Dave Perry, but I won't deny that it seems like at least they have their shit together at Gaikai.

Top Bottom