• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony Announcing Cloud Gaming Deal (Gaikai or OnLive) at E3

Nizz

Reading people's speedtest results here is depressing. :( The household's current speed...

1971202560.png

theBishop

Banned
What about a cloud service for vita?

Play ps3 games on vita no?

I wish they'd just update the Remote Play software to use Vita's resolution and a new streaming video codec. PSP was limited to 802.11b (11Mb), while Vita has 802.11g (54mb). It should be possible to significantly improve the remove play experience.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
As someone who followed OnLive since its inception, and used to post rather frequently in its official thread on GAF, I have to say that for Sony's sake, I really hope that their cloud gaming partner is Gaikai.

I've been surprised and quite frankly appalled by how OnLive seems to be, at the end of the day, a pretty poorly-run company:

They promised game releases that never came; Witcher 2 for example, and their "flagship" game last E3 was the "exclusive tablet-compatible version" of From Dust, which never came out for the service in any form, tablet, desktop, or otherwise.

They hyped up the Android and iOS OnLive Player app releases, including an iPad giveaway, but forgot to do something arguably important beforehand - submit it to the iOS App Store. Apple apparently rejected it, and OnLive has since quietly pretended that it never existed. (It did come out this past December for Android, however.)

I was pleasantly surprised that they held off on hyping up the OnLive Desktop app until it got approved just a couple of months later. Really seemed like they learned from their mistakes with the iOS Player app. Turns out that the Desktop app was running unlicensed copies of Windows 7. Microsoft forced them to switch to licensed versions of Windows Server 2008, which doesn't have as much touch functionality as Win7. As an app supposedly intended for enterprise use, I don't see how they think any enterprise customer would take them seriously after a decidedly amateurish licensing debacle.

All of this is wrapped around in a PR and community approach that can be best described as near-complete stonewalling.

I'm not the biggest fan of Dave Perry, but I won't deny that it seems like at least they have their shit together at Gaikai.

And here I was about to ask what's so bad about OnLive. Thanks for the post, I had no idea how bad their service has been.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
As someone who followed OnLive since its inception, and used to post rather frequently in its official thread on GAF, I have to say that for Sony's sake, I really hope that their cloud gaming partner is Gaikai.

I've been surprised and quite frankly appalled by how OnLive seems to be, at the end of the day, a pretty poorly-run company:

They promised game releases that never came; Witcher 2 for example, and their "flagship" game last E3 was the "exclusive tablet-compatible version" of From Dust, which never came out for the service in any form, tablet, desktop, or otherwise.

They hyped up the Android and iOS OnLive Player app releases, including an iPad giveaway, but forgot to do something arguably important beforehand - submit it to the iOS App Store. Apple apparently rejected it, and OnLive has since quietly pretended that it never existed. (It did come out this past December for Android, however.)

I was pleasantly surprised that they held off on hyping up the OnLive Desktop app until it got approved just a couple of months later. Really seemed like they learned from their mistakes with the iOS Player app. Turns out that the Desktop app was running unlicensed copies of Windows 7. Microsoft forced them to switch to licensed versions of Windows Server 2008, which doesn't have as much touch functionality as Win7. As an app supposedly intended for enterprise use, I don't see how they think any enterprise customer would take them seriously after a decidedly amateurish licensing debacle.

All of this is wrapped around in a PR and community approach that can be best described as near-complete stonewalling.

I'm not the biggest fan of Dave Perry, but I won't deny that it seems like at least they have their shit together at Gaikai.

My points exactly as I was a beta and ran an OnLive fan website as well. We were told so many things that just never transpired. In fact I stopped posting news as it was making me look stupid as I was told something and it never happened. This was from inside sources as well! Game releases, Movie services, 1080p quality within a year after release, 1000 games by end of 2012, should I go on..

OnLive also wound not work for PS3 it's 100% not them as each and every game needs to basically be "Ported" to OnLive for their SDK's. Gaikai does not require this making it much easier to use for Sony. I am sure something has to happen but not nearly as much as OnLive.

zroid

Banned
http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp

I was finally able to escape the incumbants internet in Quebec with the new CRTC regulations but you have had cheap internet available to you forever in Ontario.

ProTip - Rogers does not have to tools to accurately monitor the usage, take the 28/1 plan for $46 and you can even bust the 300GB cap without worry , although I assume you are living with a 60GB limit right now.

What kind of speeds do you need for these services? Currently I get 16/1.5mbps

95GB, actually. Switching to a different ISP is, unfortunately, a complicated affair for my household and not really feasible. It's not like we desperately need more than 95GB/month, but obviously with my already above-average Internet usage, it makes any additional tacked-on streaming prohibitive.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Ha, I got all you fools beat. Here's my ISP on a typical day:

oYjEK.png

Sony could be putting up 8-bit games and it still wouldn't work for me :/

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
ITT-- My ISP has a bigger penis than yours

Back OT, i don't know much about Onlive or Gaikai, so what types of games do they stream that would entice me to use this (if true).

Omikaru

Ha, I got all you fools beat. Here's my ISP on a typical day:

oYjEK.png

Sony could be putting up 8-bit games and it still wouldn't work for me :/

Not quite as bad, but...

1971245488.png

I've bitched at Virgin about this for god knows how long, but they just don't seem to care. Apparently this is, "Good service" by their standards.

Something tells me that even if I could get over the whole ownership issue of cloud gaming, it wouldn't be for me.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, no thank you to both of those.

Cloud gaming sucks. It improves literally nothing.

Especially with a console. With PC games, I could kind of understand wanting to play stuff on OnLive or something if your computer was a piece of shit... but on a console? What's the fucking point?

Yeah

Speaking during CES, Nanea Reeves, chief product officer for Gaikai, predicted, "Not all of the current console makers will have one more generation. That will be the big news at E3." (CES / Consumer Electronics Show, Culture, Dev, Gaikai, Industry, Next-Gen)​

http://n4g.com/news/919603/sony-or-microsoft-to-bow-out-of-next-gen-console-race-predicts-gaikai

If one of them announced heavy investment in cloud serving games, I wouldn't be that surprised actually. With the clout of a big company like Sony or MS, it could work, and the actual devices would be cheap. I can't imagine Sony doing that though...

That doesn't make sense since we already know all three are making actual game consoles next gen. If Sony were going all in with cloud gaming, why invest in such powerful graphics hardware for ps4?

On the other hand, I think Sony would have a lot to gain from cloud streaming because it would help their product synergy. Since the device only needs to be capable of receiving video stream and syncing with a controller, every single Sony bluray player, smartphone, laptop, tablet, or TV could literally function as a Playstation.

SparkTR

ITT-- My ISP has a bigger penis than yours

Back OT, i don't know much about Onlive or Gaikai, so what types of games do they stream that would entice me to use this (if true).

If it's Gaikai, it'll stream the same types of games you've have always had on your PS3. Gaikai is a tool that publishers/devs use to host demos and advertise their game. Users are directed back to the developers or publishers website to make the final purchase. Sony will probably buy a license to host their PS3 games with Gaikai.

Derrick01

Banned
Well, no thank you to both of those.

Especially with a console. With PC games, I could kind of understand wanting to play stuff on OnLive or something if your computer was a piece of shit... but on a console? What's the fucking point?

Yeah that's the part that kind of confuses me. The only benefit I see is if you could stream PS3 games through your Vita if you use the same PSN account. Otherwise you'll be streaming PS3 games...on a system that already plays them.

Kafel

Banned
down 18 / up 1 / ping 64

What do I win ?

Someone with values around those having fun on cloud gaming services ?

My points exactly as I was a beta and ran an OnLive fan website as well. We were told so many things that just never transpired. In fact I stopped posting news as it was making me look stupid as I was told something and it never happened. This was from inside sources as well! Game releases, Movie services, 1080p quality within a year after release, 1000 games by end of 2012, should I go on..

OnLive also wound not work for PS3 it's 100% not them as each and every game needs to basically be "Ported" to OnLive for their SDK's. Gaikai does not require this making it much easier to use for Sony. I am sure something has to happen but not nearly as much as OnLive.

As another person who was both a beta tester for OnLive and Gaikai and seen both services grow from inception, I would definately agree with the above quotes.

Dragnet

Yeah that's the part that kind of confuses me. The only benefit I see is if you could stream PS3 games through your Vita if you use the same PSN account. Otherwise you'll be streaming PS3 games...on a system that already plays them.

It has its benefits. OnLive has a bunch of older games in the Playpack which could easily be mapped to PS3 controls. Would be really useful actually to play some older PS2 era games which you can't play on PS3 anymore, in their PC form, through your PS3. The selection is nice too. When I had OnLive, it was nice to know I could boot it up and find something different each time to play, even if it was just demos.

LeleSocho

Banned
Please notice how this shitty connection is faster than 83% of the others connection in Italy... oh and notice the name of my ISP :/

Google Fiber Y U NO IN ITALY

I wish they'd just update the Remote Play software to use Vita's resolution and a new streaming video codec. PSP was limited to 802.11b (11Mb), while Vita has 802.11g (54mb). It should be possible to significantly improve the remove play experience.
I think at least start by supporting this locally. Play the PS3 anywhere around the house on the Vita screen.

Regarding the announcement this is where everything will converge in the future. Maybe is a bit early for Sony to jump in but right now they seem desperate to grab any attention possible.

Perkel

Banned
0 ping... Matherofgod.jpg

With that kind of connection we could have MMO rpg everything in realtime physic based everything.

Boss Man

Can we have a thread about Internets?

I'm curious about fiber optic connections and how / when I'll be able to have one. Will I have a crazy ass connection in five years? It seems like after the dial-up to cable switch we've been kind of stagnant in the U.S. Fiber optic connections are starting to take hold in bigger cities though, eh?

This is actually one of the better results that I've gotten. I don't like that my upload is so low. I know it's typically a lot lower than download, but it seems worse than normal.

bananas

Banned
1971741079.png

Considering just yesterday I had 10/1 speed, I'm happy with this boost. Especially since I got upgraded for free for two years and $8 less on my bill each month just by bitching at customer service.

So yeah, I'm pretty good with this.

I just see it as a workaround over not having any BC on PS4.

So if you complain about no PS3 BC on your PS4, ppl will just say go and use Onlive/Whatever and call you a troll for complaining about it even though streaming gaming is a piece of shit for most households.

Besides I don't see how PS1/PS2 games are more immune to lag just because they're old, considering the software was never optimized for any latency. So all that has to be patched in for optimal performance over a network which costs money. Good luck with all this Sony.

sajj316

1970589152.png

hopefully the deal is with Gaikai.. onlive sucks

This is my speed. Boost Plus for cable. Onlive and Gaikai both work fine with the exeption of image quality. The Onlive bandwidth requirements are low. My connection could take 10 mbps easily but I don't believe Onlive doesn't send the stream at that quality.

Top Bottom