• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony/SuperBot Making Sony Smash Bros [Update 3: Even More Details]

I would play this game, unless it was literally Smash Bros. That game exists, and Nintendo are only going to do it better than you, the core concept is them all over. Make it different, make it unique, make it fit to the strengths of this developer.

And put Crash in it.

sublimit

Banned
If were making list here goes mine, obviously there wouldn't be this many characters but sony does have alot if you think outside the box:

Nathan drake
Rachet and Clank (together), Captain Quark
Jak, Daxter
Sly cooper
Kratos
Fat princess
Sweet Tooth
Nariko
Parappa
Tomba
Sir Daniel Fortesque
Loco roco ( they can make fighting style unique make it shape into hands and feet)
Patapon( one with a spear)
Ico
Cole( infamous)
Sackboy
Blasto

Secret characters

Eyepet
Lemming
Unjammer Lammy
Gabe logan

Third Party

Crash bandicoot
Spyro
Solid Snake
Cloud

Nice list.I would also add,

First Party:
Toro
Wander (SOTC)

Third Party:
Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)

To me it looks like they aren't so meaningless.

All the shares really do is give the company the ability to vote on the Board of Directors, not to directly affect their day-to-day operations. That means that Sony has a lot of influence if they hate the management of Square-Enix for some reason that other shareholders would be likely to agree with (like if they suddenly decided to only make games for Android phones) but not much they can do to, say, force Square to offer their characters to them or release Sony-exclusive software titles.

So, you're saying that Ratchet and Clank/Jak and Daxter should be like Ice Climbers?

Well, I mean, you generally control Ratchet in conjunction with Clank in the R&C games, so I'd imagine they'd work similarly in a game like this.

Shtof

use all his wacky bug spaying equipment from his game simple

You can take inspiration from his game where he had some kind of extermination gear, in the main games he played pretty Crash Bandicooty so if they can't get Crash he can fill the role, and there was that Dark Daxter thing in The Lost Frontier

I was afraid you guys would bring the "bug-hunting" up. Maybe that's just me, but I think it's a bad idea.

WinFonda

The ice climbers are the same person, while clank and daxter have identities/personalities outside of their main character.

should be separate if they have enough moves

the more characters the better

Sony I am begging you to not name it title fight
They have identities, yes. I don't see how being a team stunts their personality. The whole point is that they're a team. That's what they're known for. Just because they had separate games on the PSP doesn't mean they should be separate entities here. The mainline games they are basically 1 playable character. I don't see what the issue is here.

The more the merrier is nice in theory, but looking at the planned number for their roster -- somewhere north of 20 according to the rumors -- the less characters we get from 1 universe the better.

tribal24

Banned
i was thinking something similiar to smash as a name. Maybe something like Mega Battle Royal or something with battle royal in it

I would play this game, unless it was literally Smash Bros. That game exists, and Nintendo are only going to do it better than you, the core concept is them all over.

I think there's a lot of room to take the core gameplay of simple-moveset 4-player brawling on wildly varied battlefields and expand it: make it more technical, bring in some mechanics inspired by 2D fighters, and (this is maybe most important) attach modern online play.

I think there's a lot of room to take the core gameplay of simple-moveset 4-player brawling on wildly varied battlefields and expand it: make it more technical, bring in some mechanics inspired by 2D fighters, and (this is maybe most important) attach modern online play.

That's true, I suppose. I feel like making it more technical wouldn't really achieve much beyond currying favour with the tourney crowd, it's really fun regardless, but if you just mean including stuff like wavedashing and cancelling on purpose then that's fine. People loved that stuff in Melee, after all.

Of course, modern online play would be wonderful. Still can't help but feel this type of game is more social than people think it is, but it's not about that, it's about providing the option and having it work, so I'm in favour of that.

Lijik

I was afraid you guys would bring the "bug-hunting" up. Maybe that's just me, but I think it's a bad idea.

Me too, but theres potential there to make a moveset out of it.
I still feel like if they can't secure Crash, they should use Daxter as a replacement.

Getting Crash in there wouldn't be too hard, most likely. Getting the PS1 era design of Crash in there might prove more difficult. Perhaps Activision's choice to basically mothball the franchise will make getting old Crash in there easier.

I just can't muster up any interest for this. So many bland characters.

Still, hopefully they'll sneak Sackboy in there and he'll kick some arse. :D

Shtof

Me too, but theres potential there to make a moveset out of it.
I still feel like if they can't secure Crash, they should use Daxter as a replacement.

Nah, Daxter is no Crash. He was designed as a sidekick, not a hero. Sony will do fine with Ratchet and Sly as "The animal with an attitude". Sure, Crash would be awesome, but it's Activision we're dealing with here.

Equus Bellator Apex

1996%20Suzuki%20Escudo%20Pikes%20Peak_1.jpg

Make it happen, Sony.

Sony could not possibly have put together a game that would have excited me any less. If you guys are pumped about it though, that's cool.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Sony could not possibly have put together a game that would have excited me any less. If you guys are pumped about it though, that's cool.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Among other things, the nostalgia factor just isn't there for me in seeing any of their franchise characters mess around in a fighting game.

coldfoot

Banned
I'd like if the fighting was 3D like Power Stone and you'd have Fat Princess fighting Kazuma Kiryu it'd be hilarious.
Oh and don't forget this guy:
jeffgordonmeme01.jpg

watershed

Banned
I'm kind of in the same boat. Among other things, the nostalgia factor just isn't there for me in seeing any of their franchise characters mess around in a fighting game.

For me its not about nostalgia its just about how fun this game could be especially for parties. Even Smash was never about nostalgia it was more of a novelty which this will be as well.

Cruzader

Banned
This has sweet tooth and kratos, fuck yes. Screw the "omg how can these characters be in the same game". So are you guys implying SMB only has samey characters? Well yes because all of Nintendo's IPs are catered to a single type of gamer meanwhile Sony has variety. Doesn't mean they can't do something similar. Actually go youtube Dream Mix TV world fighters : http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DreamMixTVWorldFighters

Game works. Transformers fighting solid snake? What? Yes please. Sony can do the same.

This has sweet tooth and kratos, fuck yes. Screw the "omg how can these characters be in the same game". So are you guys implying SMB only has samey characters? Well yes because all of Nintendo's IPs are catered to a single type of gamer meanwhile Sony has variety. Doesn't mean they can't do something similar. Actually go youtube Dream Mix TV world fighters : http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DreamMixTVWorldFighters

Game works. Transformers fighting solid snake? What? Yes please. Sony can do the same.

Wasn't DMTVF total fucking garbage? I know it's by-the-by, your point is correct, but still.

You're totally wrong about Nintendo IPs all appealing to the same gamer though. Smash has dudes from platformers, racing games, shoot-em-ups, action-adventure games, RPGs, RTSs and even a fucking peripheral. It's variety by definition.

pirata

If it wasn't for the fact that a Persona fighting game is already in the work, I would suggest that they put Persona characters in it, since it's been a Playstation-exclusive series so far.

Persona is probably too obscure, anyway.

Takao

Banned

Kinomiya-sama versus Convoy-desu?! Sugoi!!

Cruzader

Banned
Wasn't DMTVF total fucking garbage? I know it's by-the-by, your point is correct, but still.

You're totally wrong about Nintendo IPs all appealing to the same gamer though. Smash has dudes from platformers, racing games, shoot-em-ups, action-adventure games, RPGs, RTSs and even a fucking peripheral. It's variety by definition.
OK you are right. I mean the games are similar in fashion. Is what I mean. They are platformers with a neutral, cartoony look. Sony's IPs range from realistic to gritty to cartoony. I don't think there is nothing wrong with that. I don't think this would be a MK like game where Kratos can rip Sly's head. That's what people worry or something which is highly unlikely.

OK you are right. I mean the games are similar in fashion. Is what I mean. They are platformers with a neutral, cartoony look. Sony's IPs range from realistic to gritty to cartoony. I don't think there is nothing wrong with that. I don't think this would be a MK like game where Kratos can rip Sly's head. That's what people worry or something which is highly unlikely.

Ah, OK, I get you now. The amount of thematic diversity between Sony's 1st party lot is much greater, definitely. That's probably the most appealing bit for me, the opportunity to see Nathan Drake in the company of Parappa without Drake getting a Greenblatt-esque makeover (or, god forbid, a realistic Parappa). It's cool seeing Captain Falcon hang out with Kirby, too, but there's indeed more opportunity for stupidly fun juxtaposition with this Sony game.

Yeah but they've all heard/seen them before. People who have never played Metroid before will have heard the name Samus before. The same with Captain Falcon (who people actually confuse with Falco...)

Haha no. People are not that videogame savvy. We (Gaffers/hardcore gamers) are an exception to the rule, we live in our own little bubble.

There are two insanely popular Nintendo characters, Mario and Pikachu. I have friends that have played both FZero and Metroid as kids and they'll have no idea who Captain Falco or Samus is, but if you say FZero or Metroid, they'll recognize it right away. Zelda/Link is a little more popular but not as ubiquitous as Mario or Pokemon. Hell, when I gave my GC with twighlight princess to my nephew, my sister kept referring to that game as the "peter pan" game lol

You know it's weird to say but I think microsoft has a much better stable of IP to choose from for this type of thing, despite sony having a much more relevant stable of IP.

Hopefully this is good though.

Master Chief, Joanna Dark, and what else? Fable guy? I guess you can say someone from Gears even though that's a 3rd party franchise. The rest of their franchises are even more niche than the Sony ones.

Why? I think the MS ip stable is pretty good, they just don't use it for shit. To my understanding MS would be able to include characters from these ip with no licensing fees.

Killer instinct
Gears of war

KI is co owned by Nintendo and Rare, there's a reason there has been no KI or its characters anywhere since they broke up. Gears is all Epic. There's a couple more on your list I'm not sure about but I don't care to look up. You can google copyright and patent ownerships and see for yourself if you're curious.

I'm not gonna guess characters but I definitely think there will be some 3rd party ones in there. Sony has good relationship with 3rd parties and I'm pretty sure they will try to include a couple of characters there. I also reckon it will be revealed at the VGAs.

Top Bottom