• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony/SuperBot Making Sony Smash Bros [Update 3: Even More Details]

It just feels weird. Lets say Pixar makes an movie about a clown and Dreamworks announced sometime later "Yes, we make a clown movie, exactly like this great one from Pixar." Pretty sure, they would get a lot of backfire. Yes, it could become a great game, but it feels like an asshole move. Its screams "We want that Smash Brothers Money!".

Uhh... don't look now, but that happens ALL THE TIME, especially with those two companies. Way to pick the worst possible comparisons.

Anyway, to me it screams "potentially awesome game," but I guess wanting good games is what separates people like me from people like you.

SmithnCo

Sackboy - distinctive but I can't see a moveset

I think you could make a moveset fairly easily with the popit and various stuff like the grappling beam/paint gun/gun that shoots items. His normal move would probably just be his slap. He's one of the shoe-ins considering he's one of Sonys bigger mascots now.

"Something's gone wrong in the happy-go-lucky world of Sony"

That would be worth it to see Kratos frolicking through some flowers.

royalan

That's a big assumption. We don't know if they play similarly or not

If the game is going to emulate anything, I'd much rather they emulate and improve on Powerstone's take on 3D balls-to-the-wall melee. In some ways those games still pwn the Smash Bros. series.

They have 8%. Sony's shares are pretty much meaningless in terms of day-to-day decision-making at SE.

F07sm.jpg

To me it looks like they aren't so meaningless.
But, if someone can explain "how" this share-stuff works :lol

Shtof

Characters like Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter would be bundled together, I think. Ratchet in particular uses Clank just to kinda jump and float around. No real reason to make them separate characters when you can represent both with 1 moveset.

Lara Croft would be based on the new game presumably, so she'd use a bow and arrow, dual pistol, machete, etc... kinda similar to Drake, sure, but she'd tilt more towards survivalist type stuff. She could perhaps bandage herself to recover from damage. At any rate, Lara's been a big part of Playstation history (and an incredibly iconic character in general), so I see her as a 3rd party must have. Also, the game will probably need some solid female representation.

Daxter and Clank both have their own games so I see no reason why they should be bundled together when they can add two more characters without inventing too many moves/concepts.

Metal B

Mascot Brawler is a tragically under-represented genre.

I love the Mascot Brawler Franchise: Jump Super Stars, Smash Bothers, VS Capcom Series, D.O.N., etc. and this can become another great game (please don't be an VS-Style fightingame) But at least play the dumb one and not say that we want to be like something else. It feels cheap and unrespectful to the orginall creators, if your on the side of the "enemy".

I love the Mascot Brawler Franchise: Jump Super Stars, Smash Bothers, VS Capcom Series, D.O.N., etc. and this can become another great game (please don't be an VS-Style fightingame) But at least play the dumb one and not say that we want to be like something else. It feels cheap and unrespectful to the orginall creators, if your on the side of the "enemy".

Sony hasn't even said anything about this game. It isn't even announced at this point.

Shtof

So much... what?

You're such a dumb person.

Metal B

Like i said, dont wanna to spoil this party, just wanted to talk about the elephant in the room with the funny hat. But it will become an big fanboy fight in the future and no matter who wins, we all lose.

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don’t know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I’m an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you copy someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase this Sony mascot fighter, nor will they purchase any of Sony's other games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel this unannounced product or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Shtof

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don’t know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I’m an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you copy someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase this Sony mascot fighter, nor will they purchase any of Sony's other games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel this unannounced product or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Tired pasta is tired.

I8vP9.gif

Like i said, dont wanna to spoil this party, just wanted to talk about the elephant in the room with the funny hat. But it will become an big fanboy fight in the future and no matter who wins, we all lose.

Uhm... you're the only one doing the fanboy thing so far. And more alarmingly, you seem to be annoyed that others aren't getting on board your dumb little trolley.

WinFonda

Daxter and Clank both have their own games so I see no reason why they should be bundled together when they can add two more characters without inventing too many moves/concepts.
They have their own games but in their original games they are a pair. And they are still sidekicks at the end of the day. The games are called "Ratchet and Clank" and "Jak and Daxter." So it'd be like separating Peanut Butter and Jelly just for the hell of it.

But the thing is, it would be much harder to flesh out Daxter and Clank as individual fighters than to just incorporate them into Ratchet and Jak's movesets. I personally don't think it's a good idea adding 2 extra characters just because they can.

Shtof

They have their own games but in their original games they are a pair. And they are still sidekicks at the end of the day. The games are called "Ratchet and Clank" and "Jak and Daxter." So it'd be like separating Peanut Butter and Jelly just for the hell of it.

But the thing is, it would be much harder to flesh out Daxter and Clank as individual fighters than to just incorporate them into Ratchet and Jak's movesets. I personally don't think it's a good idea adding 2 extra characters just because they can.

Clank is a sure bet as a character, his abilities have enormous potential. Daxter I'm a little unsure about, maybe he should just stay on Jak's shoulder.

So, you're saying that Ratchet and Clank/Jak and Daxter should be like Ice Climbers?

tribal24

Banned
If were making list here goes mine, obviously there wouldn't be this many characters but sony does have alot if you think outside the box:

Nathan drake
Rachet and Clank (together), Captain Quark
Jak, Daxter
Sly cooper
Kratos
Fat princess
Sweet Tooth
Nariko
Parappa
Tomba
Sir Daniel Fortesque
Loco roco ( they can make fighting style unique make it shape into hands and feet)
Patapon( one with a spear)
Ico
Cole( infamous)
Sackboy
Blasto

Secret characters

Eyepet
Lemming
Unjammer Lammy
Gabe logan

Third Party

Crash bandicoot
Spyro
Solid Snake
Cloud

KAL2006

Banned
Jak
Daxter
Ratchet
Clank
Captain Qwark
Dr Nefarious
Kratos
Zeus
Ares
Sweet Tooth
Mr Grimm
Dollface
Calypso
Paraper The Rapper
Sackboy
Robbit (from Jumping Flash)
Nathan Drake
Sully
Elena
Deviant (from LittleDeviants)
Cole (from inFamous)
Hellghast (from Killzone)
Echocrome stickman
Eyepet Monkey
Modnation Kart racer
Girl from Gravity Daze
Nariko (from Heavenly Sword)
Locoroco
WipeOut ship
Presenter of Buzz
Apre from Ape Escape
Main character from Ape Escape
Main guy from Syphon Filter
Sly Cooper
Hotshots Golf character
Main dude from ICO
Main dude from Shadow of Collosus
a Collosus from SOC
Wild Arms character
Main dude from MediEvil
Main dude from Resistance
Chimera from Resistance
Heavy Rain character

Vamphuntr

People posting the % shares Sony has in SE.....Did we just go back ten years in the past?

I'm open to the idea of a Sony All Star Brawler. Their characters aren't as recognized as Nintendo but it could be fun.

Huff

Banned

Mario and Yoshi should always play together

Tired pasta is tired.

Chuck Norris just shot himself in the foot.

I don’t know how much the rest of you know about NeoGAF culture (I’m an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in 4chan where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you repost a meme in NeoGAF, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that NeoGAF, after hearing about this, is not going to want to read anymore of Chuck Norris's posts. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Chuck Norris has alienated an entire market with this move.

Chuck Norris, publicly apologize and delete your post or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Sony's IPs are so varied and inconsistent that to put them together would be roughly on par with taking a random handful of third-party characters and throwing them together in some sort of MUGEN game.

Err, pick the right random handful of third-party characters and this would be wildly popular.

Actually Radec is a great choice for the Killzone universe.

Yeah, I meant Sev, Radec is a fine choice.

yencid

he took down the sweet tooth picture. At the time i took the screenshot of the august sweet tooth was still there

Sony isn't even making this. It's some new dev team that pitched the idea.

watershed

Banned
I'm hoping/assuming they are gonna grab lots of 3rd party characters as well. I wonder though how well all these characters are going to mix together. Imagine a stage taking place in the ruins of SoC or something, somehow that just strikes me as odd. Also I wonder if Sony is going to brighten the color palette to create more of a party game feel.

I'm hoping/assuming they are gonna grab lots of 3rd party characters as well. I wonder though how well all these characters are going to mix together. Imagine a stage taking place in the ruins of SoC or something, somehow that just strikes me as odd. Also I wonder if Sony is going to brighten the color palette to create more of a party game feel.
How about on a moving colossus? Where part of the challenge is staying on the platforms while the Colossus moves

Metal B

i say Daxter should be split from Jak, but Clank stays with Rachet since the jetpack abilitys
If the game is like Smash Bros., but if it is more of an traditional fighter, i would separate both. Best thing for an Sony Brawler would be to bring back Crash Bandicoot!

Apdiddy

This will be very awesome if they pull this off. I could see this being a King of Fighters/Marvel vs. Capcom 3 3 on 3 battle meets Smash Bros. That way, it would really expand the roster....such as Nathan Drake/Elena/Victor Sullivan vs. Demon's Souls guy/the Maiden In Black/Ostrava or Sly Cooper/Bentley/Murray.

watershed

Banned
How about on a moving colossus? Where part of the challenge is staying on the platforms while the Colossus moves

That'd be cool its just odd to imagine some of these game worlds and characters in the same game. Also imagining a moving colossus stage I want to once again that this game would be better served looking at powerstone for ideas rather than smash.

WinFonda

So, you're saying that Ratchet and Clank/Jak and Daxter should be like Ice Climbers?
Basically, but in this case Clank and Daxter are both much smaller and are kinda known for being on the back and shoulder of their partners. Doesn't mean they couldn't be a big part of the offense/attacks though.

V_Ben

Banned
Err, pick the right random handful of third-party characters and this would be wildly popular.

No kidding. If they really have James Bond in there and the game releases near enough to Skyfall they could really capitalise on that too. I bet they could rustle up some killer third party characters if they tried, if that Michael commercial is any indication of them opening up talks with third parties to use their characters. I imagine a character roster like that commercial displayed would really have something for everybody.

Huff

Banned
Basically, but in this case Clank and Daxter are both much smaller and are kinda known for being on the back and shoulder of their partners. Doesn't mean they couldn't be a big part of the offense/attacks though.

The ice climbers are the same person, while clank and daxter have identities/personalities outside of their main character.

should be separate if they have enough moves

the more characters the better

Sony I am begging you to not name it title fight

Lijik

Ideas for Daxters moveset? There's your problem. Clank on the other hand...

You can take inspiration from his game where he had some kind of extermination gear, in the main games he played pretty Crash Bandicooty so if they can't get Crash he can fill the role, and there was that Dark Daxter thing in The Lost Frontier

Top Bottom