• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony/SuperBot Making Sony Smash Bros [Update 3: Even More Details]

Tadale

Haven't been keeping up with this. What are the odds of Metal Gear, Resident Evil, and/or Final Fantasy being represented? Those seem like classic Playstation franchises that need to have some presence.

Guys your expectatives are way too high. In the source it says that the game will have 20(+/-) characters. And already were "confirmed":

- Kratos
- Drake
- Parappa
- Sweet Tooth
- Radec
- Sly
- Scorpion (at least that's what Boon said)
13 more to go.

- Ratchet
- Clank
- Jak
- Daxter

And you have 9 left.

I don't know/remember most of Sony franchises. But at least 4 or 5 of those 9 left, are going to be third party.

Cole from Infamous series is pretty much gauranteed, hes in Friggin Tekken on Vita even.

Sounds like a real sausage fest. I'm hoping Ellen from Folklore makes it in as a left-field choice.

Yeah, but if we...*sigh*... compare it to Smash Bros, it wouldn't be so bad. I mean, the original Smash had... Jigglypuff? But I agree, more females are needed.

Cole from Infamous series is pretty much gauranteed, hes in Friggin Tekken on Vita even.

Yeah, I was just thinking about him. I added it now.

They could merge Ratchet/Clank or Jak/Daxter so they don't take multiple slots too.

And I hope they put Toro in there.

Fixed.

Can we all agree that a Chimera would be a much better playable character than Nathan Hale or whoever?

Not if it's the infested Nathan Hale from Resistance 2. Why would a Chimera be interesting? The design is cool but it's just a typical minion enemy.

Give Hale psychic powers as his main menu of attacks, plus various guns from Resistance as specials. He could fire shots from his standard issue rifle or a 40mm grenade alt-fire, give him a Bullseye special that locks onto opponents, and a Magnum that can shoot the explosive sticky rounds on people, objects and the environment. He could toss hedgehog grenades and leapers at people too.

Here's some female support:

meryl.jpg

I know we'll probably end up getting Old Snake to fill MGS' role, but it would still be sweet.

SmithnCo

Yeah, but if we...*sigh*... compare it to Smash Bros, it wouldn't be so bad. I mean, the original Smash had... Jigglypuff? But I agree, more females are needed.

Samus too.

But at least we have Fat Princess. Who I hope has some kind of cake eating mechanic and/or gets carried around by guys for a walk animation.

I don't know why we couldn't have two or maybe even three MGS characters. Seems like one of the best franchises to pull from.

Pyscho Mantis would be pretty sweet as a character and he surely doesn't lack moves to perform in a fighting game.
Level 3 Super: "Blackout!"

Not if it's the infested Nathan Hale from Resistance 2. Why would a Chimera be interesting? The design is cool but it's just a typical minion enemy.

The Chimera design is at least somewhat, well, 'iconic' might be too strong a word but it's definitely well-known. Hale is just a dude. Give the Chimera all of those guns. I guess having not played Resistance, I'm not particularly well educated on what would be the best Resistance representative, but I'd be cool with playing a brutal alien dude over a, well, guy.

The Chimera in the 'Michael' ad looked awesome, for example, and stood out amongst all the others.

Has anyone suggested that Sony Smash Bros is actually Super Smash Brothers 4 with Sony AND Nintendo characters? If not I'll take credit for it when it becomes true.

Spy

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the remaining characters are...

-Solid Snake
-Nariko
-Kazuma Kiryu
-Toro
-Lara Croft
-Crash Bandicoot
-Chell
-Wander
-Ico
-Dante
-Okami
-Onimusha

Kurtofan

Guys your expectatives are way too high. In the source it says that the game will have 20(+/-) characters. And already were "confirmed":

- Kratos
- Drake
- Parappa
- Sweet Tooth
- Radec
- Sly
- Scorpion (at least that's what Boon said)
13 more to go.

- Ratchet & Clank
- Jak & Daxter
- Cole McGrath

And you have 10 left.

I don't know/remember most of Sony franchises. But at least 4 or 5 of those 10 left, are going to be third party.

Isn't Fat Princess "confirmed" too?

The Chimera design is at least somewhat, well, 'iconic' might be too strong a word but it's definitely well-known. Hale is just a dude. Give the Chimera all of those guns. I guess having not played Resistance, I'm not particularly well educated on what would be the best Resistance representative, but I'd be cool with playing a brutal alien dude over a, well, guy.

The Chimera in the 'Michael' ad looked awesome, for example, and stood out amongst all the others.

I think Resistance will definitely be represented in this game but it's going to be really hard to tell who they're going to go with. Hale is a good choice from a gameplay standpoint, but he's dead. The Chimera is, as you say, much more iconic, but it's just a soldier without an identity. Capelli is the current main character of the franchise, but he's even more of a normal dude than Hale, no Chimera powers whatsoever. Plus we already have a villain from a Sony FPS in Radec.

Tough call.

BadWolf

Hope Yorda from Ico is in.

We could walk around holdings hands and sitting on sofas and stuff, would be so badass.

Playing with a Colossus or two would cool too.

I really hope they put Sir Fortesque in this game, seriously he's got everything, sword, bows, magic, everything!

And his fucking history of the company. If they dont add him it would be pretty stupid.
Is the only character im interested in to appear in the game, the majority of characters im reading in this thread sound second tier videogame history characters, at least to me.

Takao

Banned
Haven't been keeping up with this. What are the odds of Metal Gear, Resident Evil, and/or Final Fantasy being represented? Those seem like classic Playstation franchises that need to have some presence.

MGS, and FF are possible. Capcom's a turd so that rules out Resident Evil, thankfully.

sleepykyo

Ellen wouldn't be as interesting as Keats. Making her something akin to Yuna in Dissidia 012 could work but I doubt they'd do it.

But Keats was just a brute strength character with a transformed state. Where as Ellen had the sleep and slow folks. Ellen would be the metagame character with control reversal, slow, etc. Keats would just be a less manly Kratos.

plainr_

I bet Sackboy is the Kirby/Shang Tsung of this game. One of his specials allow him to dress up like you and take after some of your abilities. Or to change things up, he transforms you into your sackboy equivalent and you'll be stuck with floaty jump physics and no powers for a brief moment.

Yasir

Hmmm....was thinking since we have Cole in SFVsTekken as already mentioned, could that mean a possible SF or Tekken character making the jump (Ryu and Jin?). And with Kratos also in the PSP Soul Calibur game, maybe Ivy for this Sony game?

Shtof

Hmmm....was thinking since we have Cole in SFVsTekken as already mentioned, could that mean a possible SF or Tekken character making the jump (Ryu and Jin?). And with Kratos also in the PSP Soul Calibur game, maybe Ivy for this Sony game?

Ryu + Jin + Siegfrid + Scorpion?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, this combination would shake the foundations of the entire universe.

SykoTech

Can we all agree that a Chimera would be a much better playable character than Nathan Hale or whoever?

Definitely agreed.

Kat from Gravity Daze

RcnZk.jpg

Female + new IP + cross promotion + interesting moveset

Yes please. I suggested her myself earlier, but she could use another recommendation. Or thirty.

I can definitely see Old Snake and Lightning getting in. Not any Resident Evil rep though.

ascii42

Why can't we have both? Hale
turns pretty chimeran towards the end of Resistance 2.
(Resistance 2 spoilers)
In that case, how about
Hale can transform back and forth between human and chimeran, like Zelda/Sheik?
I don't care if it doesn't make sense.

Shtof

In that case, how about

Nah, he doesn't seem to have any powers like that. However,
psychokinesis, super-speed and enhanced reflexes are all powers he uses during the final moments of the game.
Combining these abilities with some of the fantastic guns from the Resistance universe would definitely be the most interesting character they could bring in from the Resistance franchise, at least gameplay-wise.

Hypereides

Gold Member
In that case, how about

Nah, he doesn't seem to have any powers like that. However,
psychokinesis, super-speed and enhanced reflexes are all powers he uses during the final moments of the game.
Combining these abilities with some of the fantastic guns from the Resistance universe would definitely be the most interesting character they could bring in from the Resistance franchise, at least gameplay-wise.

What about a combination of both? I'd like to see both of your ideas happen. :D

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the remaining characters are...

-Solid Snake
-Nariko
-Kazuma Kiryu
-Toro
-Lara Croft
-Crash Bandicoot
-Chell
-Wander
-Ico
-Dante
-Okami
-Onimusha

Non-Sony characters, not going to happen, MAYBE Solid Snake but the Capcom stuff would be a stretch, same with Lara Croft, it's not like third-party publishers are eager to lend out their characters for other games without some serious cash.

Top Bottom