• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Spyro 4 might be in early stages of development

Dazraell

Canadian Guy Eh, a prominent content creator about Spyro and Crash games just uploaded a video where he mentions rumors he heard about Spyro 4 being in early stages of development

He cites numerous sources who heard the same thing. According to this rumor, Toys for Bob is handling the development of Spyro 4 and work on it allegedly started only a few months ago, in January 2024. This would also be the unnanounced game Toys for Bob has just signed with Microsoft

Unknown?

No Insomniac, no buy! Toys For Bob are okay but Crash 4 wasn't that great, didn't have that magic from the originals but better than Wrath of Cortex.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Lies No GIF

Dazraell

It's always worth to take it with a grain of salt as Canadian Guy Eh's stuff can be hit or miss. But he knows a lot of people tied to Toys for Bob who may know something. He was also one of the youtubers who were saying for years that Toys for Bob is working on a multiplayer-themed Crash game codenamed Wumpa League. This game later turned out to be true and was announced as Crash Team Rumble

Last edited:

LRKD

No Insomniac, no buy! Toys For Bob are okay but Crash 4 wasn't that great, didn't have that magic from the originals but better than Wrath of Cortex.
Have you seen Insomniac the past 20 years? They couldn't make a good Spyro game if their lives depended on it.
Insomniac had nothing to do with the originals.
Uh? They created and developed the first three Spyro games?
Edit: Oh unless you're talking about Crash 4 nevermind

Last edited:

Kabelly

If this is true hopefully they don't botch the redesign. Only reason I didn't buy Crash 4 was because the new character designs are so ugly to me.

solidus12

I hope that’s true and it’s going to be a success.

Maybe Sony will give us a new Sly Cooper on PS5 with the same production values of Rift Apart.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I’ve waited 5 years for Playtonic’s next game and 7 years for Gears for Breakfast’s next game, all I can say is I hope you’re right.

Could be even less, assume they're developing on the same engine as the remakes.

MagnesD3

This is one of the only game releases I could actually care about and anticipate. Hopefully the people who were into making it over at Activision before being put on Cod are still here.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They basically told everyone they were doing this at the end of their statement about spinning off, as if it wasn't obvious that they wanted to do it anyways.

It's a lifelong personal favourite trilogy, so I'm in day one even if I didn't love Crash 4. I think they'll understand what makes Spyro Spyro, and that isn't difficulty. I just wanna chill and collect things.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

They basically told everyone they were doing this at the end of their statement about spinning off, as if it wasn't obvious that they wanted to do it anyways.

It's a lifelong personal favourite trilogy, so I'm in day one even if I didn't love Crash 4. I think they'll understand what makes Spyro Spyro, and that isn't difficulty. I just wanna chill and collect things.
Things they need to nail for Spyro are the Atmosphere, Incredible/Chill OST, Charming Characters, Gliding Level Design, and solid Secrets rewarding exploration. Challenge at times can be fine but difficulty should never be the point in a Spyro game.

DaGwaphics

Never played the originals. I was hoping for something completely new from T4B, but I guess this might make more sense for them. How was the platforming in this? It always looked like a 3D Mario-esque game to me (more collectethon than real platformer).

MagnesD3

Never played the originals. I was hoping for something completely new from T4B, but I guess this might make more sense for them. How was the platforming in this? It always looked like a 3D Mario-esque game to me (more collectethon than real platformer).
It is more in the Banjo Kazooie esk style at leastfor some things. The platforming is alot different than other 3d platformers beacause its Glide based, its about looking at the level design structure and trying to figure out how to glide to different places to reach areas.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

MagnesD3 summed it up well above but it's definitely more collectathon than hardcore platformer. There's also free-fly levels which are all about completing courses efficiently, 2 introduces a ton of minigames throughout and then 3 introduces other character levels with their own movesets. There's challenge to be had in some of the side objectives but largely it's a much more chill experience than Crash. The hub worlds in 2 and 3 especially are super relaxing with a great ambient soundtrack.

You see a lot of what Insomniac went on to do in Ratchet & Clank in Spyro. In fact, Spyro 2 had an early Ratchet & Clank "design" as the enemies in one of the levels, 3 years before RnC dropped.

6D-z-j5oMYwCiRoVCzBzoSQMEw5CvEp9Di7OiBVup4c.png

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
This should go without saying, but Insomniac hasn't touched this series in over two decades, the current iteration of Insomniac has about as much to do with Spyro as Toys for Bob, in fact the latter has more to do with it because they've worked on these games in at least port/remake form.

If Crash 4 wasn't that great, it was because of Toys for Bob's design choices not because Naughty Dog didn't work on it (imagine current ND doing a Crash game).

MagnesD3

This should go without saying, but Insomniac hasn't touched this series in over two decades, the current iteration of Insomniac has about as much to do with Spyro as Toys for Bob, in fact the latter has more to do with it because they've worked on these games in at least port/remake form.

If Crash 4 wasn't that great, it was because of Toys for Bob's design choices not because Naughty Dog didn't work on it (imagine current ND doing a Crash game).
It sucks because Crash 4 base game is very good, it does a great job alot of the time but the Crash Bandicoot games are well designed for getting everything in them and Crash 4 doesnt understand how to do that well.

The designers took the hard=good mentality instead of understanding why it worked in the Original Trilogy, not to mention the bloated content of alt colored versions of levels that had bad gem requirements as well.. god, 200 plus crates in one run was the standard not the exception too ugh, its like they were afraid of people complaining about the game being too short so they just padded it out for time making the whole thing such a chore

Last edited:
Don't think it was the doings of Toys for Bob, but I really didn't care for the Spyro remakes. I beat the first one and just dropped it. Maybe it's me being older, or those games just being overrated and nostalgia taking over but they were just kind of meh for me. I loved the Crash remakes though and got the plat in all of them (I know that wasn't them). Crash 4 was fine, not great but not bad. Had wayyyy too much bloat though and insanely long levels for basically no point.

I was really hoping they would just create something new and fun. Can kind of understand where they are at being a smaller studio and doing a new Spyro would be safer than a new IP, just don't think that would pull me in to buying it though. Will wait to see if one, the thing is even real, and two, if it looks fun to play.

RedC

Uh? They created and developed the first three Spyro games?
Edit: Oh unless you're talking about Crash 4 nevermind
Yeah, It was in reference to the Crash games. However, I see where the misinterpretation happened on my end, and realize they were referring to the Spyro games. In which case, Unknown? Unknown? would be correct.

Kadve

Lets hope its not full of self absorbed fan wanking like Crash 4 though. These "sequels made 20 years later by fans of the original" often are sadly.

wvnative

Don't think it was the doings of Toys for Bob, but I really didn't care for the Spyro remakes. I beat the first one and just dropped it. Maybe it's me being older, or those games just being overrated and nostalgia taking over but they were just kind of meh for me. I loved the Crash remakes though and got the plat in all of them (I know that wasn't them). Crash 4 was fine, not great but not bad. Had wayyyy too much bloat though and insanely long levels for basically no point.

I was really hoping they would just create something new and fun. Can kind of understand where they are at being a smaller studio and doing a new Spyro would be safer than a new IP, just don't think that would pull me in to buying it though. Will wait to see if one, the thing is even real, and two, if it looks fun to play.

I am the semi opposite. hated the crash remakes, thought spyro was better, and liked crash 4 mostly.

But Spyro did have issues, a lot of personality was striped out with terrible new voice acting, and 2, and especially 3, were buggy. And the unification of certain systems across all 3 games slightly chipped away at each game's individual identity.

There was a guy on youtube, who I don't know, that made a fairly lengthy video about how he knew people at Toys for Bob, and they told him that the whole damn thing was essentially made in 9 months. Which seems unreal. May or not be true, but it kind of adds up with various circumstances surrounding it's release.

Anyways, I think Spyro 4 has probably been in various stages of development over the last 5 years, and they keep getting pulled off it for Call of Duty, so I think Canadian guy is technically correct.

But he is so full of shit, he's been making Spyro 4 clickbait videos almost weekly since the remakes came out, so if it does come out eventually he can say he was right, even though he was full of shit. I used to watch him years ago but quickly caught on to his BS.

DaGwaphics

MagnesD3 summed it up well above but it's definitely more collectathon than hardcore platformer. There's also free-fly levels which are all about completing courses efficiently, 2 introduces a ton of minigames throughout and then 3 introduces other character levels with their own movesets. There's challenge to be had in some of the side objectives but largely it's a much more chill experience than Crash. The hub worlds in 2 and 3 especially are super relaxing with a great ambient soundtrack.

You see a lot of what Insomniac went on to do in Ratchet & Clank in Spyro. In fact, Spyro 2 had an early Ratchet & Clank "design" as the enemies in one of the levels, 3 years before RnC dropped.

6D-z-j5oMYwCiRoVCzBzoSQMEw5CvEp9Di7OiBVup4c.png

Hmm, I might not be interested. I'd have to take a look at it when it comes out. I like Crash, the 2D Marios and things like that when it comes to platformers.

LiamR

As others have said, the source on this occasion is sadly not reliable in the least and as a reputation for falsehoods. CanadianGuyEhh has been saying that Spyro 4 is coming for around 4 years now. Him saying now that he has "confirmation" on it now, on the basis that he spoke to some people at a convention is laughable. That is at best a rumour and it's unwise to put any faith in it due to his history. All he does is post vague speculation/rumour videos about Spyro 4, teasing the possibility of one coming to hype up the fans and rake in the views by telling them what they want to hear. He has been constantly wrong about basically everything he has reported on. For example, he asserted Spyro 4 was in development back in 2020, which was straight up nonsense. Wait for someone else like maybe Jez Corden who actually knows what they're talking about to report on a Spyro 4.

Dazraell

So weird to see everyone here digging on Crash 4 when it has the best platforming in the series. I guess the difficulty proved too much for most.
I loved it personally as well. I was absolutely digging the variety of maps and ideas this game presented to the table and how much content it had. The only things I disliked about this game was Coco's design, some repeatable segments on levels with playable characters and how frustrating it can be if you wanted to complete everything. But overall it was a fantastic experience

Kadve

What? Crash 4 is excellent. Ok not so much the side characters stages buy Crash' stages are awesome
Never played it. That awful "joke" at the end of the trailer where they basically gave the middle finger to anything Crash related not made by Naughty dog removed any interest i could have had for the game.

LiamR

Never played it. That awful "joke" at the end of the trailer where they basically gave the middle finger to anything Crash related not made by Naughty dog removed any interest i could have had for the game.

I think you're taking that way too seriously then because TFB was planning to bring back a bunch of elements from games like Crash Twinsanity particularly in future projects.

Top Bottom