• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Square Enix Seeking Developers for Numbered Game of “Super-Famous” RPG Series

ash_ag

Lol.
I think Agni's Philosophy would be a cool game, but it's probably not going to be XVI (unless some other developer takes over the idea from BD2). It would be cool to have an Agni's Philosophy spinoff developed alongside FF XVI, though.

I remember the last time this happened. It went Fabula.

Ydelnae

I do want Toriyama to work on XVI as event director (if the superior choice, Jun Akiyama, is not available). I think he gets a lot of things right about how stories in Final Fantasy games should be portrayed to the player during scene presentation. Keep him away from being full director, though.

Koozek

Yep. Give me some dap on that one.
lRnWXpc.gif

MilkBeard

I do want Toriyama to work on XVI as event director (if the superior choice, Jun Akiyama, is not available). I think he gets a lot of things right about how stories in Final Fantasy games should be portrayed to the player during scene presentation. Keep him away from being full director, though.

Yeah, he knows how to direct sequences. I'm not sure if this is also his doing, but his games end up pretty polished (FF XIII was extremely polished for what it was at least). But keep him away from the story and directing anything else. He's kind of one of those guys that has strong qualities but goes completely off the deep end when he has too much control.

Producer: Yoshinori Kitase
Director: Motomu Toriyama
Lead Combat designer: Mat Kishimoto
Character Designer: Nao Ikeda
Art Director: Square Enix Mobile Game Division
Music Producer: Ariana Grande
Writer: Daisuke Watanabe
Event director: Shinji Hashimoto

:trollface:

MilkBeard

Lol at Mat Kishimoto :)

Philippo

Great team, except that I don't know why you want Watanabe if Maehiro is too busy. Watanabe was the scenario writer for FFXIII trilogy.

Not a huge fan of Sakimoto. I hope Uematsu handles the OST or maybe for once Mitsuda ( that is if he does a good job with XC2).

Id add Minaba with Kamikokuryo as art directors.

Yuki has some nice art pieces, wondering if she can also be a good character designer. If it's possible I'd like Kazuya Takahashi to handle the character designs.

Idk, just threw the names i know and i like lol

Strings

Just need Tabata to take over the project after an arbitrary period and this is perfect.

Koozek

If i can dream a bit, my ideal team would be
Producer: Naoki Yoshida
Director/Lead Combat designer: Ito
Character Designer: Yuki Matsuzawa
Art Director: Kamikokuryo
Composer: Sakimoto
Writer: Kazutoyo Maehiro (if too busy with XIV, then Daisuke Watanabe)
Event director: Jun Akiyama
Producer: Naoki Yoshida or someone else with experience on AAA projects. Let Tabata work on his new IP and take a break from FF, lol.
Director/Lead Combat designer: Nobuyuki Matsuoka
Character Designer: Yusuke Naora, Roberto Ferrari
Art Director: Yuki Matsuzawa
Music Director: Falk Au Yeong 😘
Composer: Mitsuto Suzuki & Yoshitaka Suzuki
Writer: Unfortunately, I don't know anyone at SE that's proven themself as a capable writer for the kind of story and characterization I want nowadays
besides Yoko Taro, but his writing is obviously too dark for a mainline FF
. They desperately need fresh blood in the writing department. No Watanabe or Nojima on a mainline FF anymore, please.

c60WERS.png

dap =/= dab
Ooops, right :D

Koozek

Great team, except that I don't know why you want Watanabe if Maehiro is too busy. Watanabe was the scenario writer for FFXIII trilogy.

Not a huge fan of Sakimoto. I hope Uematsu handles the OST or maybe for once Mitsuda ( that is if he does a good job with XC2).

Id add Minaba with Kamikokuryo as art directors.

Yuki has some nice art pieces, wondering if she can also be a good character designer. If it's possible I'd like Kazuya Takahashi to handle the character designs.
Yuki is a man:

12519349_1592891494371013_318961147_n.jpg

Koozek

They haven't announced it though...

Although side point, they definitely have. It's Agni's Philosophy.
Nah, if Agni will be reused it's most likely for Tabata's new IP. The current Agni's Philosophy project is named WITCH and is headed by Tabata's BD2 team. See the last time Tabata presented it at the Microsoft Build conference in 2015: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1038568

APZonerunner has said this recently:
Agni's Philosophy aka. WITCH Tabata's next project, mark my words
. BALEE
I genuinely quite strongly believe that Tabata's division will actually end up doing something with the ideas behind Agni and FF16 will come from the 14 Business Division (which, if you've been watching, has been on a large hiring spree looking for people with non-MMO experience - but also, curiously, still with some online multiplayer experience).

MilkBeard

Nah, if Agni will be reused it's most likely for Tabata's new IP. The current Agni's Philosophy project is named WITCH and is headed by Tabata's BD2 team. See the last time Tabata presented it at the Microsoft Build conference in 2015: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1038568

Damn, I like everything you've just said. Next singleplayer Final Fantasy by the team behind XIV, and Tabata and crew working on Agni's Philosophy in some form. This is great, I hope it ends up being accurate.

FinalAres

I mean it's codenamed WITCH, but that's different to it actually being called that. The rest is deep conjecture.

Evidence that it will be a final fantasy are that its first name was "Final Fantasy Tech Demo" and that following its release at E3 they put out an open survey asking if people wanted a future final fantasy to feature the world and characters in Agni's Philosophy. It's far from confirmation that it will be FF16, but its definitely very strong evidence that at some point SE were considering making FF16, or an FF project out of AP.

sublimit

Banned
Would have been nice if they showed even just a tiny teaser for XVI at E3 just so we could know what the setting will be.

LordKasual

Banned
BD2 is my new favorite team. I feel like they're going to be dishing out the most interesting material, coming off the heels of XV and Luminous Studio.

Yeah Luminous is definitely complete now, but it feels like Tabata's team is still perfectioning it (like the Nvidia presentation from a few days ago). Probably also making it easier to use for all purposes.
I feel like that team will keep working with it with their next project as the "first" title developed from the ground up with Luminous, and only then SE will make it the de facto engine for all intnernal AAA projects.

But XVI? I think they'll stick with UE4. It's faster, easier to use, more complete atm. Standing by SE Ceo's words from a while back, they don't want to repeat the gap between XIII and XV. Hence, till Luminous isn't 100% usable by everyone, they'll use UE4 on XVI to get it out before the end of the gen imho.

Yeah it seems like LS is still in the "what else can we do with this" phase. That Nvidia applications demo was definitely impressive, I'd love to see a game made from the ground up with that kind of stuff in mind.

UE4 will probably be used for pretty much everything that isn't XVI though

MilkBeard

BD2 is my new favorite team. I feel like they're going to be dishing out the most interesting material, coming off the heels of XV and Luminous Studio.

Yeah, their next title is going to be interesting to see. They have all the tech necessary, and I'm extremely curious how they are going to develop further on the systems they created for XV.

Especially since whatever it ends up being will be Tabata's first chance in a long time to create a game from scratch with his own direction.

i.e. I have a lot of faith in Tabata and his division for taking over the mess that was the FF Versus XIII project and turning it into one of my favorite Final Fantasies (even with its flaws).

LordKasual

Banned
Yeah, their next title is going to be interesting to see. They have all the tech necessary, and I'm extremely curious how they are going to develop further on the systems they created for XV.

Especially since whatever it ends up being will be Tabata's first chance in a long time to create a game from scratch with his own direction.

i.e. I have a lot of faith in Tabata and his division for taking over the mess that was the FF Versus XIII project and turning it into one of my favorite Final Fantasies (even with its flaws).

It's crazy, they moved their scope forward in massive strides within the course of a single title. I've always been waiting for Square to finally move their games onto the more technologically modern scale. XV was the first title they've done with it, and already we've seen ridiculous concepts made reality in XV that we haven't seen before in other games. Even a game that just perfected what XV started would be all i'd ask for.

With the new tech they're using, the gap between "CG trailer" and "actual gameplay" is already smaller than ever, and for a Square Enix title, that is an exciting accomplishment. If Final Fantasy XIII had been announced a 4 years ago, it probably would have been a significantly different title. (i.e. what they initially hyped us on). By comparison, there really isn't much in the Versus XIII Citadel trailer that Noctis couldn't literally do in the actual game. Being able to abuse Lightning's gravity thingie probably would have been just as interesting as Noctis' Phasing ability.

If only they could spread this tech out and go back to developing random one-shot IPs like before (Brave Fencer, Parasite Eve, Threads of Fate, Bushido Blade, ect) instead of only Final Fantasy....whew. Haven't been this happy to be Square fan since the PSX glory days.

_Ryo_

My safe prediction is that it is a Final Fantasy X prequel or a Final Fantasy XII sequel.

My really out of left field prediction is that they were hired to by either Sony,( to add to their repertoire of critically acclaimed PS4 JRPGs) or by Microsoft (because MS need JPGS and Spencer claimed that Japanese games will come) produce a sequel or prequel to either Grandia or Legend of
Dragoon. Either way, I think the game will be console exclusive on one system.

Fou-Lu

Are there ANY Japanese RPGs that can be considered "super-famous" outside of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Pokemon?

Serious question. Why did square never continue the chrono series since the ps1 game?

The team was busy with FFXI and the main writer left SE to become a freelancer. After that, there was pretty much no one left at SE who really felt like the Chrono series was theirs to continue (especially considering how CT was such a collaborative effort back then).

It's not like some guy can come and say "I'll make a new Chrono game!" just because they're an employee of SE.

oSoLucky

I don't trust this company to make most of the games listed here.

I see this statement all the time, and it always baffles me. Who do you trust to make a game using a property of the company that you don't trust? Are you saying that S-E doesn't and can't put out good games? Do you have ideas as to how those games should be made instead that's not just "copy the exact formula of the previous entry"? I seriously want to know. This exact statement gets brought up a lot, but it seems like more in talks about S-E by people who think any post-PS1 RPG not named Persona is trash.

Are there ANY Japanese RPGs that can be considered "super-famous" outside of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Pokemon?

I don't think so, and considering this is SE I doubt the definition of "super famous" is twisted. Maybe Fire Emblem, which SE obviously wouldn't be working on.

mortal

Gold Member
You know what would be awesome? If the character designer for FFXVI was someone completely new to the series. Or Yoshitaka Amano returned as an art director.

Even better if they contracted a seasoned writer outside of Square Enix to pin the narrative.

Fraxin

Producer: Naoki Yoshida or someone else with experience on AAA projects. Let Tabata work on his new IP and take a break from FF, lol.
Director/Lead Combat designer: Nobuyuki Matsuoka
Character Designer: Yusuke Naora, Roberto Ferrari
Art Director: Yuki Matsuzawa
Music Director: Falk Au Yeong 😘
Composer: Mitsuto Suzuki & Yoshitaka Suzuki
Writer: Unfortunately, I don't know anyone at SE that's proven themself as a capable writer for the kind of story and characterization I want nowadays
besides Yoko Taro, but his writing is obviously too dark for a mainline FF
. They desperately need fresh blood in the writing department. No Watanabe or Nojima on a mainline FF anymore, please.

c60WERS.png

Ooops, right :D

Yuki is a man:

12519349_1592891494371013_318961147_n.jpg

Kazutoyo Maehiro has proven to be a good writer.

Thought Yuki was a woman.

Koozek

You know what would be awesome? If the character designer for FFXVI was someone completely new to the series. Or Yoshitaka Amano returned as an art director.

Even better if they contracted a seasoned writer outside of Square Enix to pin the narrative.
Yusuke Naora designed the adult designs for the main party in FFXV and Old Noctis especially is one of the best designs in the series. They should let Naora do more adult, grounded designs like this.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/E2Zsk0k.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FMyqUsC.jpg[/IMG]

If this is FFXVI, why they are looking for a 2D artist? Maybe they will go the DQXI/Ni No Kuni path?
It says for Concept Art.

mortal

Gold Member
Yusuke Naora designed the adult designs for the main party in FFXV and Old Noctis especially is one of the best designs in the series. They should let Naora do more adult, grounded designs like this.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/E2Zsk0k.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FMyqUsC.jpg[/IMG]
He is a solid artist, but he has a long history with the series. I rather see new blood take a shot at the job. I agree about wanting more adult characters, although much of that would be attributed to how well written mature characters would be.
As I'm getting older, the problem I have with Square Enix is that a lot of their character development is unconvincing or inconsistent. I still feel like they think I'm 13 years old or something.

Eylos

Banned
The team was busy with FFXI and the main writer left SE to become a freelancer. After that, there was pretty much no one left at SE who really felt like the Chrono series was theirs to continue (especially considering how CT was such a collaborative effort back then).

It's not like some guy can come and say "I'll make a new Chrono game!" just because they're an employee of SE.
Tokita, kitase,matsui, horii

Theres a bunch of people still in Square, and Others who are freelancers Like mitsuda, nobuo.

Top Bottom